View Full Version : Verizon DSL

FuddsGirls
03-04-2008, 09:43 PM
We just got Verizon internet. :D All this time on dial up meant missing all those video type posts that Haffy likes to torment me with. Hey I can even watch a pod cast now. We've been checking periodically but the high speed wasn't available in our area until now. So, what good to check out?

hollora
03-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Woo hoo for you - ya, gotta get the free download for Google Earth and check out your house! Plus other stuff of course.

FuddsGirls
03-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Woo hoo for you - ya, gotta get the free download for Google Earth and check out your house! Plus other stuff of course.
That's what I mean, thanks.

Mapachi
03-04-2008, 11:00 PM
zoom, zoom, zoom.............speed man! It's the only way to peruse the electronic highway! You will never go back to dial up. (unless someone breaks your arm)

hollora
03-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Oh yes, and you can use places like photobucket.com to store pictures to upload to sites like the forums on GC.com....or to share with friends away in albums without emailing loads of pictures....what a difference. You will definitely enjoy! Congrats!

vicbiker
03-05-2008, 09:35 AM
We just got Verizon internet. :D All this time on dial up meant missing all those video type posts that Haffy likes to torment me with. Hey I can even watch a pod cast now. We've been checking periodically but the high speed wasn't available in our area until now. So, what good to check out?We've been waiting for DSL for years now....the chances are slim to nothing of ever getting it in Abbot....we just got sunlight a few years ago. Last week we solved the problem...WILD BLUE....not DSL but what a huge improvement.

hollora
03-05-2008, 09:49 AM
We've been waiting for DSL for years now....the chances are slim to nothing of ever getting it in Abbot....we just got sunlight a few years ago. Last week we solved the problem...WILD BLUE....not DSL but what a huge improvement.

Well, we can't get DSL in Orrington either but the cable company decided to string wire so we can get hi-speed. I have friends who live on Verona Island (connected with 2 bridges) and they are like Vic - no cable, no DSL. They are using Wild Blue and fairly happy.

I have heard that Hermon Maine is having hi-speed wireless put in town wide. They currently have, I think it's, dial up speed for everyone but I believe it's free.

Opalsns
03-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Morning Everyone,
Hey Fuddsgirls, How close are you to the Abbott bakery??? MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm!!!, My brother-in-law has a place in Abbott acouple of miles from the CCCCOOOOOOLLL waterfalls there!

attroll
03-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Morning Everyone,
Hey Fuddsgirls, How close are you to the Abbott bakery??? MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm!!!, My brother-in-law has a place in Abbott acouple of miles from the CCCCOOOOOOLLL waterfalls there!
I think you have two people mixed up Vicbiker is the one from Abbott.

FuddsGirls
03-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Morning Everyone,
I am far from the Abbott bakery..Where is Abbott? HA! We are in Bowdoinham.

Kacky
03-05-2008, 02:37 PM
We had DSL for a long time but we switched to cable and it's much faster. I think it's because we are at the far end of the range for DSL, so the signal was bad.

Also, have you guys tried Microsoft Virtual Earth? Their birds-eye view thingy is very cool because you can fly down into the street and look at all sides of an object, not just the top. The pictures are fairly new. I was happy to be able to see that my flat roof, which I have never seen in person, looked good - at least 3 years ago it did. I can tell what year the picture was taken because I know what I had in my yard at that time. Take a look at it if you can. It makes you feel like you could walk right in someone's door.

attroll
03-05-2008, 02:57 PM
We had DSL for a long time but we switched to cable and it's much faster. I think it's because we are at the far end of the range for DSL, so the signal was bad.

Also, have you guys tried Microsoft Virtual Earth? Their birds-eye view thingy is very cool because you can fly down into the street and look at all sides of an object, not just the top. The pictures are fairly new. I was happy to be able to see that my flat roof, which I have never seen in person, looked good - at least 3 years ago it did. I can tell what year the picture was taken because I know what I had in my yard at that time. Take a look at it if you can. It makes you feel like you could walk right in someone's door.
I was looking at there web page and I do not see the download link. Is this something that has to be purchased?

Haffy
03-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Here is a link to download it Rick and anyone else who might be interested in it.

http://microsoft-virtual-earth.en.softonic.com/

FuddsGirls
03-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Here is a link to download it Rick and anyone else who might be interested in it.

http://microsoft-virtual-earth.en.softonic.com/
memememememe Thank you;)

Opalsns
03-05-2008, 11:51 PM
I've been at the Pub to long!!!

attroll
03-06-2008, 12:59 AM
I just downloaded Microsoft Virtual Earth and I think it stinks. Google Earth from in my opinion is 100 times better.

attroll
03-16-2008, 04:09 PM
I just downloaded Microsoft Virtual Earth and I think it stinks. Google Earth from in my opinion is 100 times better.
I have to take this comment back. I have been using it a few times in the last week. It comes in real handy when making maps from scratch. I am working on my next years release of my 2009 book and the $1.99 that paid for it has paid for itself many times over.

attroll
03-16-2008, 04:22 PM
The one draw back to it is that the aeriel maps on Virtual Earth are far more out of date then Google Earth maps. The aeriel maps on Virtual Earth are over 9 years out of date. I have verified this because The Home Deport in Auburn Maine is not on the Virtual Earth map and that was built about 9 years ago. It does show up on Google Earth though.

darterkitfox
03-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Any one have any satellite Virtual Earth maps from the 50's? I sure would like to get nostalgic about how my neighborhood used to look when I was growing up.

WhereRWe?
03-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Any one have any satellite Virtual Earth maps from the 50's? I sure would like to get nostalgic about how my neighborhood used to look when I was growing up.

LOL! Since the first satellite - Sputnik - wasn't even launched until October 1957, I doubt if any satellite photos of Maine were taken until MUCH past the 1950's. ;);)

Aerial photos - taken from an airplane - probably exist, though. :D

Medawisla
03-18-2008, 08:15 PM
I know there are aerials from the 70s at the Geological Survey in Augusta, in the DOC building on the east side. I don't know how accessible they are to the public though...

Team Richards
03-18-2008, 08:32 PM
This site has some aerial photos, not from the fifties but a few years old
http://megisims.state.me.us/website/orthomap/viewer.htm

attroll
03-19-2008, 12:35 AM
This site has some aerial photos, not from the fifties but a few years old
http://megisims.state.me.us/website/orthomap/viewer.htm
This is the same aerials that are on Google. Google Earth is easier to maneuver around with.

Kacky
03-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Rick, maybe the age of the picture varies by neighborhood? The Google Earth picture of my street is about 10 years old, and the Virtual Earth picture is only about 3 years old. I can tell by the changes I have made in my landscaping. and the car in my neighbor's driveway.

Medawisla
03-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Rick, maybe the age of the picture varies by neighborhood? The Google Earth picture of my street is about 10 years old, and the Virtual Earth picture is only about 3 years old. I can tell by the changes I have made in my landscaping. and the car in my neighbor's driveway.

That could be. Depending on the altitude that pictures were taken at, they may piece meal the different years to give the allusion of having uniform distances.

attroll
03-19-2008, 11:49 PM

All I know is if you go look at the old location of where Walmart used to be in Aubrun and you will notice that The Home Depot is not built next to it yet and that is over 9 years ago ort more that The Home Depot has been there. I was only using that as a reference as a time frame.

Gob-ler
03-20-2008, 08:38 AM
You guys are " up in the air here now aren't you"?

Just kidding of course, but satellite photos and the like - - - -

The photo of our neighborhood is old!