View Full Version : Do you ever go geocaching at night?

Pooh and friends
06-25-2004, 11:33 AM
I do and find it's a lot of fun. Get out the headlamp and safety glasses, batteries and spare flashlights, compass and standard survial gear and go for it. Its a totally different experience!

brdad
06-25-2004, 11:50 AM
The first one I did at night I didn't care for as I knew the place had a nice view and I couldn't see it. I ended up DNFing it, so at least I got to go back to see in daylight!

I did a few in NH at night, one was intended to be a night cache, that was fun. If was in a city so view was not such a big deal. I'm not sure how safe it'd be to do any intensive caches at night, it's easy enough to trip over stuff in daylight!

Cache Maine
11-25-2004, 02:05 PM
I recently completed a couple of night caches. The latest one, Sudonim's Salute to Veteran's offers an amazing night view over the nearby area.

As a special treat, we watched several planes circle around and do touch and go's at the airport. I thought I was in heaven!

Terrain was interesting. In the dark, I lost my sense of depth perception and stumbled a few times. A high quality walking stick (ski pole!) is a necessity at night.

Has anybody else have any night cache stories?

Beach Comber
11-25-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm not sure how I well I would survive too intense a night cache. I, too, trip and fall during daylight hours. Unfortunately, some who have cached with me have seen me at my finest. My favorite fall was into a puddle of muddy water in the woods - ai yi yi - I am told that the explatives that came flying out of my mouth as I was falling was almost as impressive as seeing me lying in the puddle once I hit the ground - LOL!!! :eek:

I won't let the possibility of tripping in the dark hold me back from night caching though when the opportune time and cache present.

Team Trout
12-02-2004, 04:50 PM
I feel conspicuous enough caching in the daylight. I'd probably go completely paranoid searching around with a light in the middle of the night! :D

Besides, that would be way past my kids bedtime and its just not any fun geocaching without any of them along.

cacheatnight
03-03-2011, 12:08 PM
I love night caching and I find you are not as conspicuous as you may thing. Urban caching at night is a different thing but out on the trails there is hardly anyone there. There is a group of cachers near me knows as the BFL Crew. They cache every Friday night 52 weeks a year (well maybe a few days off ;-)

Ekidokai
03-03-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm sure everyone is waiting.

I have done a little night caching as that it when most of my other activities accrue. (Fires and Paranormal stuff).

One story was when I was heading home I got a notice that a cache had just been published a mile from where I was. It was behind a cemetery so off I went. It was a really hard one because it was on the side of a steep hill covered in leaves and near a cliff with a significant drop off to a rocky shore at oceans edge. It was also pitch black not to mention wet. I was about half way there and only about 100 feet from GZ when I had to make a decision as to keep going or turn back. Every step I took I was slipping down the hill. At that point it was as bad going back as going further.

Decided to head straight up the hill and come down from the top. Made the find. Went back days later and could not believe what I had done. It was scary during the day.

I have a few others like scaring the crap out of cops by accident. Good way to get shot especially at night. Having partners at the top of a mountain at midnight on the foggiest rainiest night of the year conclude all the crazy stories they hear from friends about me are true.

A lot of interesting things happen at night. Of course a lot of interesting things happen around me all the time.

Fins_Up
03-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I bet I know the cache you speak of that you found at night. I found it during the day with my 5 year old (at the time). That should have at least a 4 for terrain. We found it after the Mainiac1957 event last summer.

Ekidokai
03-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Yeah can't remember the name, but it was an interesting terrain.

I would have been petrified with a kid along.

msteelee
03-03-2011, 04:20 PM

Probably not as petrified as the kid, huh? ;)

pm28570
03-04-2011, 09:40 AM

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8da55d44-1a16-4c78-b657-8118096ae126#

Arizona State Nickname by Suited Pair. It's really a great cache, I think. However, I attempted right after being published on a drizzly day. With wet leaves, steep terrain and no assurance of grabbing a tree as you slid down, I decided to hold off for better conditions. I did go back....but one needs to be hyper-aware of where you step and the conditions.

masterson of the universe
03-04-2011, 01:05 PM
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8da55d44-1a16-4c78-b657-8118096ae126#

Arizona State Nickname by Suited Pair. It's really a great cache, I think. However, I attempted right after being published on a drizzly day. With wet leaves, steep terrain and no assurance of grabbing a tree as you slid down, I decided to hold off for better conditions. I did go back....but one needs to be hyper-aware of where you step and the conditions.

Yeah, this is a great one for sure but requires a bit of balance if you are going to attempt it in bad/wet weather. It's not a long walk to GZ but its mostly walking along a slope. I guess the good part is, if you go down, its mostly leaves and pine needles so you'll slide to the stream at the bottom nice and easy. Just watch out for the tree roots. They can be rough on the back side.

dufzor
03-04-2011, 04:51 PM
I think that over 50% of my finds have been at night. A lot of those have been coming home from day trips and getting out to stretch my legs near guardrails that looked more intereting (ie the nuvi beeped when I was coming up on it). I have had a couple of visits from the friendly men in blue wanting to know if I needed help, but in the woods, its usually beautiful and quiet. Very pleasant. :)

dubord207
03-06-2011, 07:53 AM
We cache a lot at night, especially on FTF runs. The Petzel head lights are great but be careful not to get a branch in your eye. I also have the infamous 20,000,000 candle power flashlight which can turn night into day!:D

shuman road searchers
03-06-2011, 02:57 PM
We cache a lot at night, especially on FTF runs. The Petzel head lights are great but be careful not to get a branch in your eye. I also have the infamous 20,000,000 candle power flashlight which can turn night into day!:D

What happened to the BIG light?:D

dubord207
03-06-2011, 03:07 PM
20,000,000 candle light is the BIG light! I found one 3 times that but it has to be plugged into the dryer outlet so it would be useless caching!;)

What happened to the BIG light?:D

shuman road searchers
03-06-2011, 03:41 PM
20,000,000 candle light is the BIG light! I found one 3 times that but it has to be plugged into the dryer outlet so it would be useless caching!;)

That must be the one we used that time that we had to tap into CMP's substation.LOL!:D;):cool::rolleyes:

benandtina
03-07-2011, 03:06 PM
We have made a few nighttime finds, but I am easily spooked and clumsy, so it isn't wise for us.

In spite of the fact that I usually trip over roots, leaves, my own feet, etc. while doing them, we really enjoyed the caches in Maine that are made to be done at night. Offhand I can think of:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCYY49 (We did this one alone and with a group - highly recommend doing it with a group!)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1Z37X (We did this one by basically playing follow-the-leader with the other eleventy billion Useless In Eustis 2009 attendees)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=868a17cc-4e23-4f24-9e27-8b4b188080ec