View Full Version : Adopt a cache

Geochicks
02-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Anyone ever adopted a cache from someone else with (or without) the owners permission. When I say "without permission" I mean that the original owner has truely abandoned it.

I contacted the owner of the 2 UMA caches and I would like to adopt them since the onwer now lives in (I think) Kentucky. It would be nice to have some local caches. I am not planning on putting the "Gilbert St School" cache back since the know part of the trail is going to be developed. And I think the caches out at Bicentenial need to be slimmed down a little.. maybe just 2 caches, not 3...

How does one go about this process??

brdad
02-26-2005, 09:56 PM
1. Try and contact the owner and ask.

2. If no reply within a reasonable time, contact an approver and explain you would like to see about adopting it.

3. Send me $50

That is the way I would reccomend, maybe someone else has another method. :rolleyes:

Sudonim
02-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Do we make the check out to brdad, or Mr. brdad? :eek:

brdad
02-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Do we make the check out to brdad, or Mr. brdad? :eek:

Umm, I was just informed it needs to be made out to msteelee. :confused:

Geochicks
02-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Umm, I was just informed it needs to be made out to msteelee. :confused:

HAHAHAHAH!!! GOOD ONE, GIRL!! Too bad for, Brdad!

Geochicks
02-26-2005, 10:20 PM
1. Try and contact the owner and ask.

2. If no reply within a reasonable time, contact an approver and explain you would like to see about adopting it.

3. Send me $50

That is the way I would reccomend, maybe someone else has another method. :rolleyes:

1. DONE!
2. so I need to contact an approver now??
3. um, Can I borrow $50?? :p

Beach Comber
02-26-2005, 10:35 PM
You could always just say........"The check is in the mail." ;)

WhereRWe?
02-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Anyone ever adopted a cache from someone else with (or without) the owners permission. When I say "without permission" I mean that the original owner has truely abandoned it.

How does one go about this process??

I "adopted" the "Caratunk Cache - GCH9BP" after the approver posted (before the FTF) that the cache was in risk of being archived because it was obviously a "vacation cache" - and the listing quite plainly said so.

It isn't listed in my name because I never actually coordinated with an approver, but as I understand, they will change "owners" if you volunteer to adopt an abandoned cache.

brdad
02-27-2005, 08:53 AM
1. DONE!
2. so I need to contact an approver now??
3. um, Can I borrow $50?? :p

Give the owner a little time before contacting an approver. How long is up to you - a week? two? four? Most people check their email on a somewhat regular basis, but we all have times when it takes us a week or so.

Geochicks
02-27-2005, 09:39 AM
Give the owner a little time before contacting an approver. How long is up to you - a week? two? four? Most people check their email on a somewhat regular basis, but we all have times when it takes us a week or so.

Like I said, I contacted him... and he must have been online because I got an email right back that said "They are yours if you want them, I'm planning on getting some going down here." So I am going to take it that I can adopt them.

Now that I have his permission, do I contact an approver??

Geochicks
02-27-2005, 09:41 AM
I "adopted" the "Caratunk Cache - GCH9BP" after the approver posted (before the FTF) that the cache was in risk of being archived because it was obviously a "vacation cache" - and the listing quite plainly said so.

It isn't listed in my name because I never actually coordinated with an approver, but as I understand, they will change "owners" if you volunteer to adopt an abandoned cache.

That's what I am thinking...

brdad
02-27-2005, 10:13 AM
Oh yes, by all means then, contact one.

Haffy
02-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Yeah,good going Jen. Just contact GPSfun and he will get right back to you. That's what I did with the China School Forest cache after getting in touch with the teacher at the school who originally owned it and no longer wanted to take care of it.The approver should give you a reply right off. (PS: am waiting for the weather to warm some before I replace it)

Geochicks
02-27-2005, 12:25 PM
(PS: am waiting for the weather to warm some before I replace it)

That's what we were going to do... I have all the cache stuff from all the other caches that I am going to merge together, but I don't want to go through the snow. I'm also going to head up to iParty to grab some goodies and fillup the containers. I still have our 'geochicks' ammo can that my little brother gave to me that I have yet to use.

Cache'n Jacksons
08-02-2005, 08:28 AM
I just stumbled across this link in the GC.com forums: Geocaching Adoption Service (http://www.geocaching.com/adopt). It looks like the owner needs to first put the cache up for adoption, then the adoptee can adopt. I haven't tested it yet but hope to soon for the Picket Mt. (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d7d6af84-1e47-4014-8d80-f9478a4f7532) cache that's near us. Maybe someone can use it for the cache mentioned in this thread (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=195&highlight=adopt), too.

tat
08-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Good luck getting Picket Mountain. It was not there when I looked, but it is such a nice area that I didn't mind at all.

Slate
08-02-2005, 12:22 PM
I just stumbled across this link in the GC.com forums: Geocaching Adoption Service (http://www.geocaching.com/adopt). It looks like the owner needs to first put the cache up for adoption, then the adoptee can adopt. I haven't tested it yet but hope to soon for the Picket Mt. (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d7d6af84-1e47-4014-8d80-f9478a4f7532) cache that's near us. Maybe someone can use it for the cache mentioned in this thread (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=195&highlight=adopt), too.
Why don't you just place a new cache there? It looks like the old cache has been archived for a long time and there doesn't seem to be any significant history that would warrant it's return.