View Full Version : Claiming Your Own Cache As A Find

EMSDanel
03-17-2008, 09:54 AM
While logging a recent cache I had found I noticed the owner of the cache had also posted a "find" for that same cache. The owner had even stated in the posting that he had checked and it was OK to do that. It may be perfectly acceptable but I had never seen that before. What do others think?

Sudonim
03-17-2008, 10:28 AM
My impression was that you could EITHER hide or find a cache, not both. I've seen it too, usually with new cachers. I think (but I'm not sure) that it is addressed in the GC rules.
Kinda cheesy IMO, you already know where it is, how do you claim credit for "finding" it if you chose the place to hide it.

Opalsns
03-17-2008, 10:41 AM
I was going to have my husband find mine so he could retrieve a TB to move to an event, My brother told me that was WEAK!!!! and that he could just GRAB IT to move on. So that's what he did, but just finding it for the score, is kind of WEAK!
Opalsns

Kacky
03-17-2008, 10:46 AM
It depends whether you consider it a find, or a log. Personally I think it muddies up the numbers too much if the couple share a user name, but if he has his own user name, insider information shouldn't be a deal-breaker except for FTF.

Sabby
03-17-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't know of any cachers that have logged their own cache as a find and I think it is "tacky" to do so.
I have seen cachers visit a cache to find it and then later come back, sometimes several times, to drop a bug and list each as a find. I chalk this up to inexperience.
I have seen cachers attend an "event" that has temporary caches that were placed for them to find as fun while there and they have logged each of them as an "attended" on the event pace. Some as many as 10 times.

It seems as though it is all up to the mindset of the individual. Most of us are content with finding caches placed by others or hiding them. We don't need to find our own.

It's not all about the numbers, or is it?

Opalsns
03-17-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm Opalsns and he's BubbaBass, but like I said, He didn't claim it as a find, he just GRABBED a TB to Move on!!!
I am always adding TBs to my cache, one at a time.But I don't claim them as finds only write notes. I only put one at a time because I've read logs where cachers took 2 or 3 TBs and left dental floss and a kitty bracelet. Please! I think that's sad!!!
But to get on track, I agree with Dan,we shouldn't claim our own.
Opalsns

Gob-ler
03-17-2008, 03:22 PM
The first thing I learned way back when was that there are no rules. So technically a cache hider can claim their hide if they want to.

But, as a practice it is generally frowned upon and not encouraged. There are several different threads on the GC.Com forums that address the very issue.

I think the best way to deal with it is to speak to the cacher (who by the way is kind of not far from just starting out) and a simple explanation or discussion would bring about an understanding of accepted practices and while this practice is not "Wrong", it is not a common practice.

Thats my 2cents worth on this one.

The G Team
03-17-2008, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't do it, but could care less if anyone else did. Just MVHO.

Team Richards
03-17-2008, 05:06 PM
I have read logs of cachers finding their own cache while doing maintenance. I thought it odd.
I have read the guide lines and the forums on GC.com and I guess some people do it and it can be done. In the end everyone gets something different out of caching, I guess I'm glad they took the time to hide a cache, but claiming a find on your own cache seems odd to me. my2c

Mainiac1957
03-17-2008, 05:09 PM
This philosophy should also apply to events. If you host an event and then attend it, it is double dipping. You get a number in both columns. I am just stating my personal feelings here and what anyone else does is there own dang business. I myself host events and attend ones hosted by others. I know this subject has been discussed before. To each his own I reckon. :D:D

WhereRWe?
03-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Sheesh! Don;t get me started on this again, or I'll retell the story of the geocaching dog - still in the top 100 worldwide, I believe - who "hides" a cache and the the owners EACH log the cache.

Double SHEESH! It's only about the numbers, right? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gob-ler
03-17-2008, 06:18 PM
I understand the event part, but I look at it like this.

You do all the work organizing the event. You publish it, plan it and so forth. That for me is where the you did an event recognition comes to play.

Then you were there. I don't think that is quite the same as logging a cache that you hid.

It's an interesting discussion.

darterkitfox
03-17-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure what's wrong with taking 2 or 3 travel bugs and leaving swag for them. I did that in one at a walking path in Lisbon and read the log to find that the travel bugs had been sitting there for many months. Why by-pass them to sit even longer when the owner of them are probably chewing their nails hoping they get to a new cache someday? If you take 3, they will go in 3 different caches in a weeks time so they have a better chance of someone getting them. Of course that's my opinion and as I so often find when I post here, not the same as most people.

Kacky
03-17-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't know of any cachers that have logged their own cache as a find and I think it is "tacky" to do so.
I have seen cachers visit a cache to find it and then later come back, sometimes several times, to drop a bug and list each as a find. I chalk this up to inexperience.
I have seen cachers attend an "event" that has temporary caches that were placed for them to find as fun while there and they have logged each of them as an "attended" on the event pace. Some as many as 10 times.

It seems as though it is all up to the mindset of the individual. Most of us are content with finding caches placed by others or hiding them. We don't need to find our own.

It's not all about the numbers, or is it?

I wouldn't log any of those, myself. But I feel like if you were with someone when they placed it, you could go back for it and log it once.

Kacky
03-17-2008, 08:41 PM
This philosophy should also apply to events. If you host an event and then attend it, it is double dipping. You get a number in both columns. I am just stating my personal feelings here and what anyone else does is there own dang business. I myself host events and attend ones hosted by others. I know this subject has been discussed before. To each his own I reckon. :D:D

Tempting ain't it? But I don't do it either. I also had permission to log a rally in Nevada because I made the programs, but I didn't do it. I also had permission to log a find in California just for sending them an item to put in the cache - but in good conscience I couldn't claim it as a find.

Opalsns
03-17-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm not sure what's wrong with taking 2 or 3 travel bugs and leaving swag for them. I did that in one at a walking path in Lisbon and read the log to find that the travel bugs had been sitting there for many months. Why by-pass them to sit even longer when the owner of them are probably chewing their nails hoping they get to a new cache someday? If you take 3, they will go in 3 different caches in a weeks time so they have a better chance of someone getting them. Of course that's my opinion and as I so often find when I post here, not the same as most people.

I think that the only reason a TB is in a cache for a few months is because cachers can't get to it !
When it can be found , other cachers will be coming soon too and would probabally like to get a TB as well.
And no I don't think taking 2 or 3 TBs and leaving some dental floss is right. That's why I put 1 TB at a time, so it makes the cache more exciting for ALL cachers.
Why take them all so the next cacher gets NONE.
That's SELFISH, in my opinion. ALSO,
I don't want to highjack this thread , That's why I said back to the subject in my original post.
Now, what's your opinion on logging ones own cache???
Opalsns

team moxiepup
03-17-2008, 09:27 PM
We saw a user name that looked very similar to the hiders name find/log 5 caches belonging to the same person in the same day and they were spread out across the state... not sure it would have been possible to find all of them in the same day given the geography of the caches. It raised an eyebrow with us but then we shrugged and said to each their own. :rolleyes:

On the TB subject, you are not required to leave anything when you pick up a TB. You are also not required to leave another TB as they are not considered trade items.
TB owners want them to move, they don't want them sitting around.
TB hotels are great but can be death traps for some TBs, if a TB isn't as nice as others in the cache it could stay there for a long time. We know of a popular TB hotel in NH that the cache owners are always making sure that TBs don't sit too long in hotel, we commend the cache owners for keeping the TBs moving if any of them sit too long.

Oh yeah logging ones own cache :rolleyes:

Opalsns
03-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Again not to highjack the subject,
but It wasn't about what is or is not required to leave or not leave.Nor was I speaking of cache owners moving stuck TBs. The opinion was that I don't think cachers should take 2 or 3 TBs and leave basically nothing! I, as a cache owner I would grab and move a TB so it doesn't stay too long in my cache and would trade TBs with people to get them moving again.
Some cachers don't even take anything. They just get the score, and some , like me ,like to find TBs, move them and watch their journey. If I go to a cache that is supposed to have 3 TBs in it that morning and I go to it and find that the cacher before me took all 3, Then I think that is selfish. Wether they leave something or not.Some cache owners ASK for fair trade and Also some ask that you only take one item. I read what the owner writes and try to do what they ask.
If you go to GEOCACHING.COM, that's where I read up on the game, and go to the FAQ page and read it ,you'll see where i got my info.

SORRY about the highjacking DAN ,it WAS NOT my INTENTION

hollora
03-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Dan and I discussed this issue via email today. He suggested a post here would make a good discussion. I agreeded.

TBs were not the thread but that too is an interesting discussion. One perhaps for another thread. I have learned a lot on the GC.com threads about TBs and coins and recommend to those here - that is another resource for information.

Now - logging your own cache hide. I, for one, do not support it if you are talking a regular cache. I do realize, however, it might be easy to make an error in posting but it could be corrected. Cache maintenance is not a "find" = "smiley" in my opinion.

As for events - I can take these as an Event organizer find or not. I agree with Gob-ler - a lot of work goes into organzing them and these may be a little more acceptable as a find by the poster than a regular cache.

Again, JMHO - an interesting discussion. We all need to remember this is a sport based on an honor system for the users.

Hiram357
03-17-2008, 11:05 PM

now here's one we disagree on :p

I see it as doing the work for the event is one thing, you deserve the credit for doing it. As well as attending the event is also different, you're activly participating yadda yadda...

but a cache on the other hand, if you hid it, you're not really finding it, you already know where it is, so it's not really any great accomplishment kinda thing... that I think is double dippin, but for an event, sure why not, you did the work, you deserve the lil bonus number (after all its all about the numbers right...) :D:rolleyes:

(besides, someone could put on an event and not even go to it, somethin may come up and work be delegated to other people... so should people helping with the event not be allowed to log it???) :confused:

Mapachi
03-17-2008, 11:12 PM
If a person drank to much. It would be possible to find your own cache.......And be surprised!

Kacky
03-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Opal, The other reason TB's sit for months is because all the locals have already found the cache. Once all the "usual suspects" have discovered it, it could sit for years waiting for a newbie or a tourist to find it. I often take all the TB's if it's an old cache and not being found more than a couple of times a year.

EMSDanel
03-18-2008, 12:48 AM
I agree with everyone that we all play by the rules as we interpret them, and I certainly don't mean to pass judgement. I, too, am happy that people place caches for others to find and am truly grateful. In fact, I'd like to see many more new caches out there! But I had never seen this done (posting a "find" of your own cache) and still want to know what other people think about it. Thanks for everyone's input....

Team Richards
03-18-2008, 04:33 AM
It seems as though they could write the program so you didn't have a choice to log your own cache. If you retrieve your own TB you don't get "credit" at least I don't think you do.
As for the other topics. I agree that events are different and that TBs should move, take them all take one but be prepared to move them along. Hopefully they are marked so you can help them reach thier goal.

Mainiac1957
03-18-2008, 05:38 AM
That's what make this game fun and different for so many people. The bottom line is: "The rules are there ain't no rules". We can do, log, trade, attend, hide, host, and find caches pretty much how we like. Geocaching.com has made it so. The placement guidelines are the only "rules" as such that we must abide by.;) In the end this game is what the individual makes it. It your happy then that's all that should matter. :cool:Opinions are just that. I still say the best thing that I have gotten out of 5 years of caching are the lasting friendships.:D

Mainiac1957
03-18-2008, 05:39 AM
If a person drank to much. It would be possible to find your own cache.......And be surprised!

If you are getting old and just forget where you put it!:D:p:rolleyes::eek:

Mainiac1957
03-18-2008, 05:45 AM
now here's one we disagree on :p

I see it as doing the work for the event is one thing, you deserve the credit for doing it. As well as attending the event is also different, you're activly participating yadda yadda...

but a cache on the other hand, if you hid it, you're not really finding it, you already know where it is, so it's not really any great accomplishment kinda thing... that I think is double dippin, but for an event, sure why not, you did the work, you deserve the lil bonus number (after all its all about the numbers right...) :D:rolleyes:

(besides, someone could put on an event and not even go to it, somethin may come up and work be delegated to other people... so should people helping with the event not be allowed to log it???) :confused:

I understand the event part, but I look at it like this.

You do all the work organizing the event. You publish it, plan it and so forth. That for me is where the you did an event recognition comes to play.

Then you were there. I don't think that is quite the same as logging a cache that you hid.

It's an interesting discussion.

Two compelling points here. I have done my fair share of events. Some I put an incredible amount of work into and some simply ran themselves. Some I was able to be more of an attendee and some I barely got to see anyone. So either way is right I guess. And as I said, it's not for me to judge. ;):o:D

Hiram357
03-18-2008, 07:15 AM
If you are getting old and just forget where you put it!:D:p:rolleyes::eek:

lol... i've done that before... an I'm not even as old as you brad... :D:p:rolleyes:;)

Two compelling points here. I have done my fair share of events. Some I put an incredible amount of work into and some simply ran themselves. Some I was able to be more of an attendee and some I barely got to see anyone. So either way is right I guess. And as I said, it's not for me to judge. ;):o:D

go ahead, just say we're right... :D:p;)

firefighterjake
03-18-2008, 07:33 AM
The first thing I learned way back when was that there are no rules. So technically a cache hider can claim their hide if they want to.

But, as a practice it is generally frowned upon and not encouraged. There are several different threads on the GC.Com forums that address the very issue.

I think the best way to deal with it is to speak to the cacher (who by the way is kind of not far from just starting out) and a simple explanation or discussion would bring about an understanding of accepted practices and while this practice is not "Wrong", it is not a common practice.

Thats my 2cents worth on this one.

I agree 100%.

I have never and will never log my own cache hides as finds . . . usually I just write a note when I go back to move along a TB or maintain them.

The one time I noticed a new geocacher was hiding caches and then logging them as finds I dropped her a note about how this was generally not accepted . . . she immediately replied back thanking me for informing her of this fact and said another geocacher had told her it was OK to do. I believe she has stopped hiding and logging her old finds.

firefighterjake
03-18-2008, 07:34 AM
While logging a recent cache I had found I noticed the owner of the cache had also posted a "find" for that same cache. The owner had even stated in the posting that he had checked and it was OK to do that. It may be perfectly acceptable but I had never seen that before. What do others think?

Perfectly acceptable . . . if you have Alzheimers or a memory like mine . . . I'm constantly losing stuff that I just had in my hands 15 minutes before hand. Sometimes searching for my own caches to maintain them can be a real task. ;):D

firefighterjake
03-18-2008, 07:35 AM

I would respectfully disagree . . . to me this isn't the same as an actual cache hide . . . but then again who am I to speak to this issue since I don't do events . . . usually. ;):D

Opalsns
03-18-2008, 07:46 AM
I'll agree with maniac and cache my way!!( do I hear a song??)LOL!
I just hope the no rules theory doesn't end up with a free for all,... claiming mine ....taking yours ...... crossing through someones property without permission....turning over gravestones for clues.......leaving trash on the ground and in caches.....etc...etc.....

vicbiker
03-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Upon arriving at the Golden Gate's a geocacher found himself being turn back, as St. Peter explain to him, that even though his life had been nothing but shining examples he had claimed his own cache.:rolleyes:

I for one have attended my own event, I know this because when I woke up I was there. I have placed 11 caches and never found any of them, evidently I'm not good at finding caches.:D

Attending and finding have very different meanings for me. How can you find something if you know where it is?

Gob-ler
03-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Friends??? I actually have a few, just look at my friends list!

brdad
03-18-2008, 02:52 PM
The problem with everyone playing their own way is that there are times when one person playing the way he wants prohibits another from playing the way they want. A cacher may feel is it fine to log a find when returning to a cache to trade TBs, but the owner may not allow that. A participant to an event may bring ten pocket caches, expecting others to log multiple finds on the event for each pocket cache, while the event placer may only allow one log.

There are other cases that are less black and white, such as the logging of one's own cache. And while it's easy to say it's ok since it does not affect other cachers, but I disagree with that to some extent. The actions we take while hiding, finding, or logging a cache is a representative of the whole group. An example of this is a certain US city which is known as the micro capital of the world. While it may not be right to stereotype people from this city with the ideas we connect with hard core micro hiders and finders, it is hard not to.

When it comes to the subject of logging your own cache, logging caches you didn't really find, or multiple logging of caches, you are telling others in the caching community (especially those new to the sport) that those actions are normal and acceptable. Since there is no rule, if that's the image of caching you want to portray, then by all means do so. But if you do, you can expect other people to assume you have similar views in other aspects of your life.

It is just a game, but as I have stated numerous times, we all set an example for others. Think about that before you hide, find, or log a cache. It will make a difference in the enjoyability of caching for both you and future cachers.

brdad
03-18-2008, 02:55 PM
On the subject of events, I have no problem with a person logging their own event if they feel ok with it. The problem I have with events is, it should not count as a cache find to begin with. It's not really a cache!

There are people who feel the same way to the extreme they only log a note when they attend an event.

WhereRWe?
03-18-2008, 04:30 PM
I would respectfully disagree . . . to me this isn't the same as an actual cache hide . . .

I agree. :D:D

Mapachi
03-18-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm your friend Gob-ler, but I trip you if we were racing you for a FTF...lol

Hiram357
03-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Attending and finding have very different meanings for me. How can you find something if you know where it is?

Well Vic, I know where I am all the time, but most of the time I don't know where "where" is... So technically, I find myself quite often... but I still can't find my keys... :D

Kacky
03-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Meanwhile, how cute is that starfish! oh, he's probably getting to old to be "cute":p

dubord207
03-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm on vacation at Sugarloaf but decided to see what the caching world is up to. Being a newbie I learn more and more each day. I logged my first placed cache but just "unlogged" it as the majority feel it's not appropriate and that's fine by me. Is there a location where the Rules are actually posted in detail? Being an attorney, I will try and play by the rules, but if given a "retainer" I'm sure I could offer up some colorful interpretations! :D

EMSDanel
03-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks, Dubord......You are a gentleman, indeed.....:) And thanks for placing that cache in the first place.

brdad
03-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Is there a location where the Rules are actually posted in detail?

As stated, there are no rules concerning logging your own cache. But there are accepted standards to many aspects of caching which vary from area to area. That's one of the advantages to belonging to a site like this. You can always ask, and will most likely get at least two differing opinions, and you can make a decision for what is right for you from there.

Sudonim
03-19-2008, 03:13 PM
It's hard when you start out to see what most people view as acceptable if there are no hard and fast rules. On one of my first events, the event sponsors had some "pocket caches" and I (as well as several others) logged the event for each pocket cache I had found. After several days, reading others opinions on the pocket caches, I decided that they weren't in the spirit of the game (for me, not anyone else that logged them) and went back and erased my multiple logs.
Now if someone else got a kick out of finding them and wanted to log them, no skin off my nose, but I realized it wasn't for me.

Sudonim
03-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Hey look, my 1000th post.:D

Haffy
03-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Cool!!!!!!!!!!

Haffy
03-19-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm on vacation at Sugarloaf but decided to see what the caching world is up to. Being a newbie I learn more and more each day. I logged my first placed cache but just "unlogged" it as the majority feel it's not appropriate and that's fine by me. Is there a location where the Rules are actually posted in detail? Being an attorney, I will try and play by the rules, but if given a "retainer" I'm sure I could offer up some colorful interpretations! :D

Here is a link to the GC forums where you should be able to find all your answers or if not, then ask away there.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=8749

Medawisla
03-19-2008, 09:01 PM

You can also read the "About" page at www.geocaching.com (http://www.geocaching.com) :cool: We enjoy your humorous interpretations! :rolleyes::D

Team Richards
03-19-2008, 09:44 PM
I will try and play by the rules, but if given a "retainer" I'm sure I could offer up some colorful interpretations! :D

You can have my son's old retainer, if I can find it.:D