View Full Version : FAQ from GEOCACHING.COM

Opalsns
03-18-2008, 08:05 AM
:D
What is Geocaching?
Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.:rolleyes:

What are the rules in Geocaching?
Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

Take something from the cache
Leave something in the cache
Write about it in the logbookWhere you place a cache is up to you.;)

What is usually in a cache?
A cache can come in many forms but the first item should always be the logbook. In its simplest form a cache can be just a logbook and nothing else. The logbook contains information from the founder of the cache and notes from the cache's visitors. The logbook can contain much valuable, rewarding, and entertaining information. A logbook might contain information about nearby attractions, coordinates to other unpublished caches, and even jokes written by visitors. If you get some information from a logbook you should give some back. At the very least you can leave the date and time you visited the cache.
Larger caches may consist of a waterproof plastic bucket placed tastefully within the local terrain. The bucket will contain the logbook and any number of more or less valuable items. These items turn the cache into a true treasure hunt. You never know what the founder or other visitors of the cache may have left there for you to enjoy. Remember, if you take something, its only fair for you to leave something in return. Items in a bucket cache could be: Maps, books, software, hardware, CD's, videos, pictures, money, jewelry, tickets, antiques, tools, games, etc. It is recommended that items in a bucket cache be individually packaged in a clear zipped plastic bag to protect them. :cool:

:o
What is usually in a cache?
A cache can come in many forms but the first item should always be the logbook. In its simplest form a cache can be just a logbook and nothing else. The logbook contains information from the founder of the cache and notes from the cache's visitors. The logbook can contain much valuable, rewarding, and entertaining information. A logbook might contain information about nearby attractions, coordinates to other unpublished caches, and even jokes written by visitors. If you get some information from a logbook you should give some back. At the very least you can leave the date and time you visited the cache.
Larger caches may consist of a waterproof plastic bucket placed tastefully within the local terrain. The bucket will contain the logbook and any number of more or less valuable items. These items turn the cache into a true treasure hunt. You never know what the founder or other visitors of the cache may have left there for you to enjoy. Remember, if you take something, its only fair for you to leave something in return. Items in a bucket cache could be: Maps, books, software, hardware, CD's, videos, pictures, money, jewelry, tickets, antiques, tools, games, etc. It is recommended that items in a bucket cache be individually packaged in a clear zipped plastic bag to protect them.
What shouldn't be in a cache?
Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, ammo, knives, drugs, and alcohol shouldn't be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws. All ages of people hide and seek caches, so use some thought before placing an item into a cache.
Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because of food items in a cache. Please do not put food in a cache. :p

:cool:
Can I move a cache once I find it?
Don't move the cache! Responsible cache owners often check on their caches and would be alarmed to discover that it is missing.
An alternative would be to have a trackable item (http://www.geocaching.com/track/), which is an item that you can move from cache to cache. An example of this is a candle that has traveled from Australia to Arizona, and a Mr. Potato head that leaps from cache to cache. For example you can purchase a Groundspeak Travel Bug (http://www.geocaching.com/track/) , which is a tag that you can attach to an item so you can track its movements through this web site.
Are there any variations in the game?
YES! We strongly encourage it, actually. Geocaching is a game that constantly reinvents itself, and the rules are very flexible. If you have a new idea on how to place a cache, or a new game using GPS units, we'd love to hear about it. ;)

Welcome to all and any OPINIONS ...:):):):)

Opalsns
03-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Opal, The other reason TB's sit for months is because all the locals have already found the cache. Once all the "usual suspects" have discovered it, it could sit for years waiting for a newbie or a tourist to find it. I often take all the TB's if it's an old cache and not being found more than a couple of times a year.( Kacky)

Even though the "usuall suspects" have found the local caches, you can't ASSUME no one will ever find that cache again. There are new and upcoming cachers that are just waiting for clear ground to get out there and cache and discover TBs to move around. And as much as cachers go out of state to cache, out of staters will come here also!
Have you ever found a cache where the TBs have sat for YEARS????
Opalsns

Opalsns
03-18-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm not sure what's wrong with taking 2 or 3 travel bugs and leaving swag for them. I did that in one at a walking path in Lisbon and read the log to find that the travel bugs had been sitting there for many months. Why by-pass them to sit even longer when the owner of them are probably chewing their nails hoping they get to a new cache someday? If you take 3, they will go in 3 different caches in a weeks time so they have a better chance of someone getting them. Of course that's my opinion and as I so often find when I post here, not the same as most people.(darterkitfox)

I think that the only reason a TB is in a cache for a few months is because cachers can't get to it !
When it can be found , other cachers will be coming soon too and would probabally like to get a TB as well.
And no I don't think taking 2 or 3 TBs and leaving some dental floss is right. That's why I put 1 TB at a time, so it makes the cache more exciting for ALL cachers.
Why take them all so the next cacher gets NONE.
Opalsns

Opalsns
03-18-2008, 08:32 AM
On the TB subject, you are not required to leave anything when you pick up a TB. You are also not required to leave another TB as they are not considered trade items.
TB owners want them to move, they don't want them sitting around.
TB hotels are great but can be death traps for some TBs, if a TB isn't as nice as others in the cache it could stay there for a long time. We know of a popular TB hotel in NH that the cache owners are always making sure that TBs don't sit too long in hotel, we commend the cache owners for keeping the TBs moving if any of them sit too long. (team moxiepup)

It wasn't about what is or is not required to leave or not leave.Nor was I speaking of cache owners moving stuck TBs. The opinion was that I don't think cachers should take 2 or 3 TBs and leave basically nothing! I, as a cache owner I would grab and move a TB so it doesn't stay too long in my cache and would trade TBs with people to get them moving again.
Some cachers don't even take anything. They just get the score, and some , like me ,like to find TBs, move them and watch their journey. If I go to a cache that is supposed to have 3 TBs in it that morning and I go to it and find that the cacher before me took all 3, Then I think that is selfish. Wether they leave something or not.Some cache owners ASK for fair trade and Also some ask that you only take one item. I read what the owner writes and try to do what they ask.
Opalsns

WhereRWe?
03-18-2008, 10:48 AM
The opinion was that I don't think cachers should take 2 or 3 TBs and leave basically nothing! I, as a cache owner I would grab and move a TB so it doesn't stay too long in my cache and would trade TBs with people to get them moving again.
Some cachers don't even take anything. They just get the score, and some , like me ,like to find TBs, move them and watch their journey. If I go to a cache that is supposed to have 3 TBs in it that morning and I go to it and find that the cacher before me took all 3.

We don't usually take more than one TB, but often make a judgement call if we think that some of the TBs make be getting "stagnant" - little movement. I believe that TB owners want their bugs to MOVE, so if a bug has been in a cache for a month or more, we'll move it along.

Opalsns
03-18-2008, 11:01 AM
I agree on the stagnent TB and moving it along. I have several TBs out there and rescued a couple for cachers to grab at the WWWWWW4. I check up on mine and see that some are in places that can only be had by snowshoe or snow mobile etc...
I'm not worried, they will move when they can be gotten to. And I agree on making a judgement call on if it's been there for too long because , yes ,after a couple of months, I want mine to move also.
Thanx for posting that you usually don't take more than one unless needed!!!
Ut Oh, you made me smile!!!!!!
Opalsns

Kacky
03-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Oh well, can't control everything.