View Full Version : Chamberlain Lake trains

attroll
03-25-2008, 01:11 PM
I am so excited. I am heading to Jackman this weekend again snowmobiling. Last weekend was the best snowmobiling I have ever experience in my whole life in the state of Maine. We may not have much down here anymore but it is well over 50 inches of snow up there. The exciting part about going this weekend is the group I am going with is going to head of to the Chamberlain Lake trains and check them out if all goes well. I missed out on the trip a couple of years ago when I was scheduled to go with a group during the summer months and had to work at the last minute. It will be even better going in on snowmobile. The things you see in remote areas on a snowmobile are spectacular and amazing at times, backpacking and hiking remote place is even better.

Its a shame that the cache there is no longer active. Hmm, maybe I could place another cache in the area there while I am up there. That is a thought.

Hiram357
03-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Its a shame that the cache there is no longer active. Hmm, maybe I could place another cache in the area there while I am up there. That is a thought.

You're kidding right..... ?????? :confused::eek::confused::eek:

attroll
03-25-2008, 02:04 PM
You're kidding right..... ?????? :confused::eek::confused::eek:
Kidding about what?

d’76
03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Here is the link to the cache page

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f39b6733-ac26-4e24-ab1d-5b10835d42f5

Some where here in this web site there is a conversation about the cache. It was made very clear that caches are not welcome in the AWW, since it might mean that you step off the beaten path once and awhile. Although, hunting and fishing and logging are welcomed activities we all know that cachers do more damage then a skidder.:confused:

While I think putting another cache in the AWW, I think that it would be tough to get it publish since we have had extensive conversations about getting the old cache put back and we where shot down.

d’76
03-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Heres the link to the conversation that was on going for a bit here at gcmaine

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=779&highlight=allagash

Hiram357
03-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Here is the link to the cache page

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f39b6733-ac26-4e24-ab1d-5b10835d42f5

Some where here in this web site there is a conversation about the cache. It was made very clear that caches are not welcome in the AWW, since it might mean that you step off the beaten path once and awhile. Although, hunting and fishing and logging are welcomed activities we all know that cachers do more damage then a skidder.:confused:

While I think putting another cache in the AWW, I think that it would be tough to get it publish since we have had extensive conversations about getting the old cache put back and we where shot down.

Heres the link to the conversation that was on going for a bit here at gcmaine

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=779&highlight=allagash

hence my response... (i was just too lazy to go diggin any of that stuff up, thanks dave) :D

The G Team
03-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Ha ha--I was just thinking about the trains, planning out some spring trips. Can you actually drive to them w/o getting the MIB called down on you? A cache would be great, but I'd just like to show them to the child--I remember Dad taking us to see them 35 or so years ago.

Mainiac1957
03-25-2008, 08:47 PM
A mile and a half walk each way from the parking. It's best not to mention at the gate that you are going in there. Just tell them you a going bird watching or something.

attroll
03-26-2008, 12:27 AM
There is no going through the gate on this trip. There is a groomed snowmobile trail that goes right to the trains. It is a maintained trail. That means there is no illegal access to them on this part as mentioned by Marilyn Tourtelotte of the Manager, Allagash Wilderness Waterway. It can not be illegal if there are trail maps and groomed trails telling people how to get there.

Now in the summer time it may be a different story.

Now the question is this. Since it is not illegal during the winter would it be legal to make it a winter cache and a winter cache only and disable it during the summer?

Hiram357
03-26-2008, 11:01 AM
There is no going through the gate on this trip. There is a groomed snowmobile trail that goes right to the trains. It is a maintained trail. That means there is no illegal access to them on this part as mentioned by Marilyn Tourtelotte of the Manager, Allagash Wilderness Waterway. It can not be illegal if there are trail maps and groomed trails telling people how to get there.

Now in the summer time it may be a different story.

Now the question is this. Since it is not illegal during the winter would it be legal to make it a winter cache and a winter cache only and disable it during the summer?

That would be worth looking into, do you have any contacts with the people from the AWW to find out???

attroll
03-26-2008, 11:07 AM
That would be worth looking into, do you have any contacts with the people from the AWW to find out???
Why would I have to contact them if I do not need there permission to go there and als long as I am not placing a cache container there? I could just make it an Earthcache on maybe something similar to that without placing a cache there, right?

I have contacted out cache approver and we'll see that he says. I have also given him some more details on this that I have not mentioned here.

Hiram357
03-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Why would I have to contact them if I do not need there permission to go there and als long as I am not placing a cache container there? I could just make it an Earthcache on maybe something similar to that without placing a cache there, right?

I have contacted out cache approver and we'll see that he says. I have also given him some more details on this that I have not mentioned here.

I see your point about the earthcache idea, but given the past history with them it might be a good idea to make contact and let them know.

Sudonim
03-26-2008, 03:53 PM
The rule for an earthcache (and I don't pretend to understand the rule) is that you still have to have landowner permission to place an earthcache.

from www.earthcache.com
EarthCache sites developed on private and public land must have prior approval of the landowners before submission. These must have written approval with the appropriate land-managing agency. The name and contact details of the person from who you received approval MUST be given. The developed text should be sent to the landholder for approval. EarthCache sites developed in association with National Parks*, National Forests, or other public lands are encouraged.* Please note that by placing an EarthCache on public land, even with approval, does not mean you can use the public land logo in your text. For example, only EarthCaches developed by US National Park Service personnel in their park can display the NPS logo in their cache text.

Northwoods Explorer
03-26-2008, 05:00 PM
I have tried with the Allagash but little luck. I plan on trying again when there is a new manager. As some of you know I like earthcache locations the best. I have several in and around the waterway, one is on the same page where the series once was but is no longer for delorme. The waterway is only 500 feet out and while waterway manager feels at times, it is as far as the eye can see she is wrong. Alloding to the Seven Islands forester the Allagash Ice Cave is technically not in the waterway but the waterway manager does not want andy foot access, we like the cave and have always walked in to it so we checked with Seven Islands, the landowner, and they say no problem as long as we don't use anything motorized. While we don't go to the cave any more we wanted to know if it was OK. There are a number of natural history locations that are on public lands, MNC lands and paper company lands, most if not all don't what regular caches for what ever reason. Huber was kind enough to give me all kinds of contacts including Nature Conservancy contacts. I have the owner or manager review the earthcache and then make additions that they request, example Ice Cave Earthcache additions, sent it in with the contact information and it is ready to go. Some times park manager will make requests on changes or parking or even access which are always easy to take care of. I have found that generally they look at it as a earth science lesson for folks using their lands.

attroll
03-31-2008, 10:28 AM
I have to post my report that we made it to the Chamberlain Lake Trains. This is one of my most memorable snowmobile trips so far.

We left out of North East Carry and went to Chesuncook Lake House for lunch and had some Buffalo burgers. They were good. Never had one before and would love to have another. They were a little expensive though but what do you expect when your in the middle of nowhere and there is not electricity. They raise and slaughter there own buffalo for there own personal use.

From Chesuncook Lake House we headed straight ups Chesuncook Lake, across Umbazooksus Lake, Mud Pond, and all the way up Chamberlain Lake to the Trains. Wow, a lot of lake rinding we did. It was well worth it though.

If anyone ever gets a chance to do this as a snowmobile trip, do not turn it down. I would do it again this weekend again is I had the money.

After going to the trains I was amazed and did some homework on them and put together a web page so that people could better understand how they ended up where they did. A lot of people think the trains were to transport logs from Eagle Lake to Chamberlain Lake but that is not the case. The Tramway did that without the use of the trains. The trains were put at a later date for a 13 mile rail road between Eagle Lake area to Umbazooksus Lake.

Here is the web page I put together. If anyone has anymore information and would like to share it with me I would greatly appreciate it.

Chamberlain Lake Tramway & Trains (http://www.netrails.com/tramway/)

Sabby
03-31-2008, 10:42 AM
WOW Looks like it was a GREAT trip. Interesting story and pictures of the site. Thanks for posting them for us to see.

tat
03-31-2008, 12:09 PM
...If anyone has anymore information and would like to share it with me I would greatly appreciate it...[/URL]

Back in the day, I worked on a UMO project to help the Lumberman's Museum in Patten with old photos. They had box after box of photos although very few were cataloged at the time. They would be a great source for information.

[url]http://www.lumbermensmuseum.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=5&Itemid=6 (http://www.netrails.com/tramway/)

WhereRWe?
03-31-2008, 04:25 PM
We left out of North East Carry and went to Chesuncook Lake House for lunch and had some Buffalo burgers. They were good. Never had one before and would love to have another. They were a little expensive though but what do you expect when your in the middle of nowhere and there is not electricity. They raise and slaughter there own buffalo for there own personal use.

You can get packaged ground buffalo at Hannaford of Shaws. :D:D

Hiram357
03-31-2008, 05:35 PM
You can get packaged ground buffalo at Hannaford of Shaws. :D:D

buffalo is some pretty good meat, ostrich burgers are one of my favorites.

hollora
03-31-2008, 10:24 PM
Back in the day, I worked on a UMO project to help the Lumberman's Museum in Patten with old photos. They had box after box of photos although very few were cataloged at the time. They would be a great source for information.

http://www.lumbermensmuseum.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=5&Itemid=6

And there are Grant Funds available to scan, catalog and publish photos today if anyone is interested. It would not pay great wages but would be a wonderful project for students in the area. The contact I believe is at the Maine State Museum in Augusta.

They are encouraging conversion of old photos into digital images and publishing them for all to see and sharing on the web.

hollora
03-31-2008, 10:25 PM
buffalo is some pretty good meat, ostrich burgers are one of my favorites.

Moose - better yet - spicy moose sausage wtih onions and peppers!

Hiram357
04-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Moose - better yet - spicy moose sausage wtih onions and peppers!
mmmmmm.... can we come over for breakfast... :D:D:D