View Full Version : Cache and Carry

d’76
03-26-2008, 09:03 PM
I would like to know if you cache while you carry a firearm. I dont want a debate about gun control or the need to carry a gun. If it becomes a debate I would like for the site moderator to lock or delete it.

Simply a question of do you carry, what you carry

dragonflys
03-26-2008, 09:08 PM
never have, I don't feel the need as niave as that sounds

vicbiker
03-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Dave I have never thought much about it ......then again no one ever shoots at me!!!

attroll
03-27-2008, 12:14 AM
I see no need to carry a firearm while caching. I think people that feel the need to carry firearms all the time are very insecure people or are very paranoid people.

brdad
03-27-2008, 06:51 AM
I don't, but sometimes think I should. It could be an important addition to one's pack should they get lost or come in contact with a rabid animal or other danger. Not that you can't live without it, but you can usually live without water while heading to that mountain cache, but that water may save your life if you get stuck there for three days.

Obviously, the further one wanders into deeper woods, the more important it is to have more survival and safety supplies.

Cell Phone, batteries, water, matches, first aid kit, knife, camp saw, or even gun - all things that could come in handy - along with knowledge of how to use each of them when needed.

d’76
03-27-2008, 07:17 AM
I see no need to carry a firearm while caching. I think people that feel the need to carry firearms all the time are very insecure people or are very paranoid people.

This is the debate comment I didnt want. Glad to see that it only got to post 4 before we couldnt keep it to the topic.
THe question was this simple.

Do you carry and what is it??

When seconds count, Police are only minutes away

And by the way I am neither insecure or parniod. I have been a shot at while caching and refuse to be a victim

WhereRWe?
03-27-2008, 07:56 AM
I have been a shot at while caching and refuse to be a victim

This is what scares me about caches in someone's back yard. The home owner may love watching from the window while cachers try and find a cache, but what about the paranoid neighbor?

(And I don't carry - never have, never will).

darterkitfox
03-27-2008, 08:45 AM
We only have Keiko the attack terrier with us for 90% of the caches. Perhaps if we did caches in Montana or some other Grizzly infested area we would reconsider.

Sudonim
03-27-2008, 09:50 AM
I have only had one cache that I wish I had a gun, but the bear was running faster (away from me) than I could have run anyway. By the time I dug it out of a bag, it would have been too late. If someone feels safer armed, and they are trained in the correct and safe handling with the weapon, than go for it.

hollora
03-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Well, my son-in-law who is a law enforcement officer just had to dispatch a rabid raccoon right in a city when the raccoon was attacking him and the person who called about it being in her yard. There are more and more rabid (wild) animals in our woods - which is sad.

I have not carried while caching but would not discount the possibility. My concealed weapon permit is not current but upon renewing it might consider this. Agree with Sudonim - one should be fully trained.

Worked in a profession for over 20 years where I carried a weapon. My purse was specifically designed with a holster for a 38 and I had to qualify annually.

Haven't carried a weapon for a while. After hearing the tale of the cachers on the border, however, I have been thinking.

Kacky
03-27-2008, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't myself, I'm just not organized enough to keep it maintained or to get to it if necessary. I am relying on a little can of pepper spray taped onto my hiking stick. But I have considered a dummy handgun that I could point at my violent ex if he ever showed up.

attroll
03-27-2008, 12:07 PM
This is the debate comment I didnt want. Glad to see that it only got to post 4 before we couldnt keep it to the topic.
THe question was this simple.

Do you carry and what is it??

When seconds count, Police are only minutes away

And by the way I am neither insecure or parniod. I have been a shot at while caching and refuse to be a victim
Sorry. If you looking for a postive answer to have an excuse to cary then I am sorry your not getting it here from me.

Let me rephrase my last statement then.

No I do not carry a firearm or a weapon when geocaching. I feel no need to. If there is a cache area that looks suspecious or sketchy then I do not look for it and leave the area. If something does not feel right then you should not do it.

If you were shoot at while caching then you should report it to the police and to the cache owner and have the cache disabled. Also if you were shoot at while at a cache or going to a cache location then you should also pass that information on to the rest of us here on this site so we are aware of it.

What cache was it you were shot at? I want to make sure I do not do this cache.

d’76
03-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Sorry. If you looking for a postive answer to have an excuse to cary then I am sorry your not getting it here from me.

No I do not carry a firearm or a weapon when geocaching. I feel no need to. If there is a cache area that looks suspecious or sketchy then I do not look for it and leave the area. If something does not feel right then you should not do it.

If you were shoot at while caching then you should report it to the police and to the cache owner and have the cache disabled. Also if you were shoot at while at a cache or going to a cache location then you should also pass that information on to the rest of us here on this site so we are aware of it.

Rick.... Please, I wasnt interested in your beliefs on firearms. I made it clear what the thread was about. I have resolved the cache issue with the owner.

Opalsns
03-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi Dave1976,
You asked a good and fair question.
I don't carry a gun. I don't have a permit. I walk LOUDLY and carry a big stick!!!
If one has a personal protection permit, payed for and issued to them by the federal government, It is their right to carry anywhere within that permits juristiction.
I am NOT looking for a heated discussion with ANYONE. NOR is it my intent to insult anyone with my comment. I am simply answering a question.
Opalsns

Hiram357
03-27-2008, 02:03 PM
I often carry, but I also go with the mindset that I would do my best to not put myself into a situation where it would be necesary to take those kind of actions. There's not a whole lot in the maine woods to be afraid of, but there are those ocassions... So when I got into the woods I carry something with a bit of power to it. When I do urban caching I usually carry something a lot smaller. But I prefer carrying a large bag of common sense over a firearm. (but the firearm is usually there as a last resort) :D

team moxiepup
03-27-2008, 07:06 PM
So if we tell ya we don't carry, then if we meet up with ya in the woods, you know that you have us out gunned. :eek:

Mainiac1957
03-27-2008, 07:10 PM
I usually cache with Dave or Hiram. So....I don't need to carry anything, except the GPS in Hirams case:rolleyes: Capiche?:cool:

pjpreb
03-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? :D:p;)

Hiram357
03-27-2008, 08:14 PM
So if we tell ya we don't carry, then if we meet up with ya in the woods, you know that you have us out gunned. :eek:

but you guys have moxie watchin out for ya :D

I usually cache with Dave or Hiram. So....I don't need to carry anything, except the GPS in Hirams case:rolleyes: Capiche?:cool:

kapeesh :D

Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? :D:p;)

Nope, that's just my GPS... wait a min... brad's got the GPS...:rolleyes::p

d’76
03-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Might as well close lock or delete the thread since it appears that it cant be kept on topic. I will try my luck elsewhere.:(

hollora
03-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Went back to the original post - I will try to ply this back.

Do you carry? No - not now.

What do you carry? Above answer says it but if I were to carry it would be a .38 (cause that is what I own and have qualified with numerous times).

attroll
03-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Rick.... Please, I wasnt interested in your beliefs on firearms. I made it clear what the thread was about. I have resolved the cache issue with the owner.

I would still like to know what cache this is and maybe some others would like to also?

As far as carrying. I will not drag this on anymore I promise. You are not suppose to carry unless you have a permit anyways. This usually means a concealed weapons permit. This also means that you are not suppose to be brandishing it for others to see. Hence the name concealed weapon. With that said it is in my opinion that if you carry a weapon that and it is suppose to be concealed then it should not be known publicly that you are carrying it. So even if I did carry one I would not be answering yes or telling anyone in open forums that I carry a weapon.

Ms Toastmaster
03-28-2008, 04:58 AM
I don't but have thought about it. I do carry pepper spray (not much use against a rabid animal or someone taking potshots)

dubord207
03-28-2008, 07:40 AM
I would like to know if you cache while you carry a firearm. I dont want a debate about gun control or the need to carry a gun. If it becomes a debate I would like for the site moderator to lock or delete it.

Simply a question of do you carry, what you carry

Time for me wo weigh in on this one. First of all, I am a gun collector and own more than 100 weapons ranging in size from .22's to .50 caliber sniper rifles. I have competed for years and keep my concealed weapon permit issued by the State of Maine current. Do I carry while caching, NO! I think one must use common sense about where one caches. While there are the occasional red-neck goobers out there who will question the sanity of those of us who do this game, I don't think the chances of getting shot at are high. And if somebody did shoot do you really want to have it and shoot back? As far a rabid animals, I spend a lot of time in the woods and although I've seen a few animals with issues, dispatching rabid animals is for wardens and cops. No Dave, I won't carry while caching but the 2nd Amendment mandates that folks who choose to do so are well within their constitutional rights.

Hiram357
03-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Time for me wo weigh in on this one. First of all, I am a gun collector and own more than 100 weapons ranging in size from .22's to .50 caliber sniper rifles. I have competed for years and keep my concealed weapon permit issued by the State of Maine current. Do I carry while caching, NO! I think one must use common sense about where one caches. While there are the occasional red-neck goobers out there who will question the sanity of those of us who do this game, I don't think the chances of getting shot at are high. And if somebody did shoot do you really want to have it and shoot back? As far a rabid animals, I spend a lot of time in the woods and although I've seen a few animals with issues, dispatching rabid animals is for wardens and cops. No Dave, I won't carry while caching but the 2nd Amendment mandates that folks who choose to do so are well within their constitutional rights.

*off topic, but it does have somethin to do with this thread* I recall seeing somewhere that you're a lawyer Dubord... ;) I was wondering if you could suggest a good reference for clear definitions of the gun laws for those of us that do choose to carry? (I notice quite often that people always argue about what they can and can't do because "it's what the instructor told them in their safety course") The maine.gov websites don't clarify anything, they just scramble it all up with that fancy "legal talk" :rolleyes:
and most other references I've found are federal and don't relate to all of the local laws.

Kacky
03-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I've heard of people running into meth labs in the woods, but if it ever gets like that around here, I'll quit going into the woods. Some people can handle a gun. I can't.

Right Wing Wacko
03-28-2008, 06:48 PM
While I cache a couple thousand miles away from you folks, I do carry when caching.

Taurus PT-111 Millenium Pro 9mm Semi Auto most of the time. Occasionally I will carry my S&W J-Frame 38 Special instead, for those times when concealment is more important.

Lately when on the trail I don't bother with concealling the weapon. It's not required in my state so why go thru all the hassle.

BTW: I did some quick research on Maine Firearms Laws:

Maine is a traditional open carry state. It is perfectly legal and acceptable to carry a firearm openly. However, you may only carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, openly or concealed, if you have a Maine permit. You do NOT need a permit to carry a firearm. You only need the permit to conceal.

pjpreb
03-28-2008, 07:13 PM
While I cache a couple thousand miles away from you folks, I do carry when caching.

Taurus PT-111 Millenium Pro 9mm Semi Auto most of the time. Occasionally I will carry my S&W J-Frame 38 Special instead, for those times when concealment is more important.

Lately when on the trail I don't bother with concealling the weapon. It's not required in my state so why go thru all the hassle.

Maine is a traditional open carry state. It is perfectly legal and acceptable to carry a firearm openly. However, you may only carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, openly or concealed, if you have a Maine permit. You do NOT need a permit to carry a firearm. You only need the permit to conceal.

Thanks for joining our chat forum RWW (and welcome to geocachingmaine!) It's cool to get input from cachers "from away"

Hiram357
03-28-2008, 07:45 PM

thanks for chiming in :D

how ever did you pick that name... :rolleyes:;)

one of the disapointing things about this state is that I don't think I would ever openly carry unless I'm pretty deep in the woods (or out hunting) because I think that if I was to openly carry, there would be a laundry list of complaints and cops surrounding me within minutes, that's why when I do carry I make absolutely positively 100% sure that there would be no way of telling (without a pretty vigorous frisking) that I am carrying.

btw.. hows caching in your state? I've always wanted to visit there. :D

and how do ya like the PT-111? I never heard anything good about Tarus, but a couple years ago I purchased a Tarus .38 revolver, I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it, but I think it's a pretty decent firearm.

Team2hunt
03-29-2008, 09:28 AM
No need for a gun, when your girlfriend carries an ice axe. :rolleyes:

vicbiker
03-29-2008, 10:11 PM
No need for a gun, when your girlfriend carries an ice axe. :rolleyes: Seen the axe....scared the bgeekings out of me!!!!:eek:

number seven
03-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Vic and I have a secret weapon--Lacyndiesel:):):eek::D

vicbiker
03-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Vic and I have a secret weapon--Lacyndiesel:):):eek::Dthat also scares the bgeekings out of me:eek:

vicbiker
03-31-2008, 09:32 AM
Dave I have never thought much about it ......then again no one ever shoots at me!!!Not exactly a true statement any more....returning to Number Seven's car yesterday after doing 'The Horseback" cache we were suddenly confronted by a series of gunshots, small sounding shots like a 22 cal, some that were definitely shot gun blasts, and a few really high powered blast from a rifle.We knew from all the evidence on the ground going in, that some one was target shooting in the gravel pit where we parked the car or possibly shooting at the car. Problem being to get back to the car you have to come through said pit. Coming over the edge of the pit we were greeted with a view everyone hopes to see, a bunch of guys drinking beer and shooting guns. Drinking and shooting go together like drinking and driving, not that great an idea.Personally for Don and I this was no big deal, been there done that, we came over the top wave at the guys and said don't shoot. We stopped and talked with the guys , even watched them shoot for awhile, just having fun on a Sunday afternoon, like already stated been there done that. But what would some of our other members have done in a situation like this, could have been a little scary for someone who wasn't aware of what was happening.

Just thought I share this with the group. Vic

firefighterjake
04-01-2008, 10:58 AM

Well said . . .

And to keep this topic to the question posed at the beginning . . .

No . . . don't carry anything or have anything in my home . . . or do I??? ;):D

As far as geocaching goes . . . I don't always carry Hiram's commonsense with me, but rather I have a healthy dose of dumb luck, a thermos full of optimism and if those two things don't work I can always rely on the fact that my ugly mug will scare away most two-legged and four-legged critters that I might encounter in the woods.;):D

CARoperPhotography
04-27-2010, 06:48 PM
As many of you have seen, my Jeep is pretty well outfitted and stocked with various supplies and equipment (pretty much prepared for the apocolypse). I will not confirm nor deny that my Jeep does or does not contain weaponry however I will say that I am a firm believer in and exerciser of the 2nd Amendment and while caching I am prepared for most situations.

WhereRWe?
04-27-2010, 06:53 PM
As many of you have seen, my Jeep is pretty well outfitted and stocked with various supplies and equipment (pretty much prepared for the apocolypse). I will not confirm nor deny that my Jeep does or does not contain weaponry however I will say that I am a firm believer in and exerciser of the 2nd Amendment and while caching I am prepared for most situations.

Sheesh! A Democrat! :eek::eek:

CARoperPhotography
04-27-2010, 06:54 PM

Excuse me?!?!?!?! The farthest thing from it, my friend!

brdad
04-27-2010, 07:14 PM

Where do you get that from, other than he won't give a solid answer? :)

And, since when does the official gcmaine anti-political-posting member start getting political? Sheesh! :D:D:D

Lee and I visited NRA headquarters while we were in Virginia last fall and she got to shoot for the first time. She had a lot of fun and was pretty good, but preferred the smaller caliber pistols. I think I did pretty good as well considering I had not shot a gun for at least 5 years.

WhereRWe?
04-27-2010, 07:19 PM
And, since when does the official gcmaine anti-political-posting member start getting political? Sheesh! :D:D:D

Yeah - sorry - I broke my own rule. But I was just being facetious anyway.

(And if you note my avatar - you can readily see the rifle I'm carrrying, but the 9mm in my pocket is not easily discernible! LOL!

:D:D

CARoperPhotography
04-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Where do you get that from, other than he won't give a solid answer? :)

Lee and I visited NRA headquarters while we were in Virginia last fall and she got to shoot for the first time. She had a lot of fun and was pretty good, but preferred the smaller caliber pistols. I think I did pretty good as well considering I had not shot a gun for at least 5 years.

Not shot a gun in five years? You better throw a few rounds through the barrel of choice and get back your aim and control before we all have to exercise our 2nd Amendment rights.... ARMAGEDDON is almost upon us! Our Government is out of control and hell bent upon oppressing us!

brdad
04-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Not shot a gun in five years? You better throw a few rounds through the barrel of choice and get back your aim and control before we all have to exercise our 2nd Amendment rights.... ARMAGEDDON is almost upon us! Our Government is out of control and hell bent upon oppressing us!

That's the political talk you'll get scolded by WhereRWe for! But hey, he slips one in a while, too.

I'm not big on guns, but I have more than enough. Many were inherited from my father's collection who had 50-60 of them. And I have way too many other hobbies. Caching cut a hole out of some of them. 2 boats at my disposal sitting idle and I haven't been fishing for 7 or 8 years. Haven't been on an ATV for 4 or 5 years. I have enough electronic components to start a Radio Shack but rarely touch them.

But when I need to exercise my rights, I'll make do...

Mapachi
04-27-2010, 08:16 PM

Dam! I knew there was something about you I liked!
A fellow right wingnut!!
(When you try to compromise between right and wrong; all you end up with is wrong!)

Anyway....I carry a fully loaded "Shotgun" with me while I'm caching!:eek:

Hiram357
04-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Dam! I knew there was something about you I liked!
A fellow right wingnut!!
(When you try to compromise between right and wrong; all you end up with is wrong!)

Anyway....I carry a fully loaded "Shotgun" with me while I'm caching!:eek:

Fully "loaded" huh?? I knew there was somethin about her... :rolleyes::rolleyes:;):p:D

Hiram357
04-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah - sorry - I broke my own rule. But I was just being facetious anyway.

(And if you note my avatar - you can readily see the rifle I'm carrrying, but the 9mm in my pocket is not easily discernible! LOL!

:D:D

Hey Bruce, how do you explain your quote from March of '08 then...

This is what scares me about caches in someone's back yard. The home owner may love watching from the window while cachers try and find a cache, but what about the paranoid neighbor?

(And I don't carry - never have, never will).

;););)

JustKev
04-27-2010, 09:00 PM
I've only carried once. It was November and we were trying to get to Norton Brook. however, being November and JustPJ66 not wearing footgear to wade the brook, we turned back where the trail crosses the brook. Is it legal to shoot a cache if it's not wearing orange?

dubord207
04-27-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't carry guns while I'm caching, unless I think I might have to bring home dinner and something's in season.

So here's the deal, all you political cats out there. I am a Democrat, not one of the libs but I'm also a card carrying life member of the NRA. Try to figure that out!

And this coming Tuesday, I have an engagement with a world class turkey caller and I'm getting out my Ithica .10 guage mag and expect to have turkey dinner that night!

Oh, and the turkey caller also likes to cache so a good time will be had by all.

Mapachi has seen my arsenal. The Pentagon would be jealous!:D

JustKev
04-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Dan, I haven't seen it and I'm jealous. Especially if you have a Ruger #1 International. The one with the Mannlicher stock.

Hikenfish
04-27-2010, 11:03 PM
You talking about a Judge Mapachi?

dubord207
04-28-2010, 05:48 AM
I had a .243 with a Mannlicher stock that I traded for a bunch of gravel and loam. It was the only full-stock rifle I had and it was a beauty. He bagged a nice 8 pointer first time out with it. I had a Varilux IV 3.5 x 10 scope. A classic falt shooting gun with the beauty of a walnut Mannlicher stock.

Dan, I haven't seen it and I'm jealous. Especially if you have a Ruger #1 International. The one with the Mannlicher stock.

dubord207
04-28-2010, 05:52 AM
Yes, Judge Mapachi. A judge of all things Pink Floyd and all caches with devious camo. A judge of all things conservative and a judge that makes a wicked strawberry pie!

And he knows that the "compound" here on 3 Mile Pond will be a safe place when the revolution comes!:D

Mapachi
04-28-2010, 08:20 AM

I've always aspired to be like Judge Roy Bean! ..The movie one. :D:D

Paul Newman played a lot of great characters throughout his career. One of my Favorites was when he played the "Judge" in "The Life And Times Of Judge Roy Bean". Pretty funny stuff, that movie, but I hear tell that the real Roy Bean was one Bad ass Mutha, who cared little of the law.

Mapachi
04-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Yes, Judge Mapachi. A judge of all things Pink Floyd and all caches with devious camo. A judge of all things conservative and a judge that makes a wicked strawberry pie!

And he knows that the "compound" here on 3 Mile Pond will be a safe place when the revolution comes!:D

Did you say Pink Floyd!? Roger Waters is doing his fairwell tour this summer. He's doing the WALL! The first time since it was played in Berlin after the Berlin Wall came down! I HAVE TICKETS!:p:p:p

Dubord207 a Democrat ----- NRA member
Mapachi a Republican -----NORML member
What's wrong with this picture?

Just to stay on topic ....I do own a 12 gage Mossberg "Slugster". I don't take it caching with me. Yet.

CARoperPhotography
04-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Strictly a sidearm man here.... Always
carried and owned glocks. First was the 29 which is their miniture 10mm. Awesome round but hard to find. Considering one of the new HK P7s.... And looking for a Walther p22 in OD green

CARoperPhotography
04-28-2010, 08:40 AM
And a Libertarian member of both ACLU and NRA....

Mapachi
04-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Ever notice UCLA and ALCU use the same letters? Coincidence?

Hiram357
04-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Gotta love the .410 you can fit in your pocket! :D:D:D

Hiram357
04-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Ever notice UCLA and ALCU use the same letters? Coincidence?

ahh! it's another one of those liberal conspiracy theories! ;):p:rolleyes::D

dubord207
04-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Sheesh, maybe I'm about to learn something new here. I have 4 or 5 .410 shotguns, single shots. When I teach hunter safety, this is what we start the kids out with. Lots of noise, can hit a pepsi can and a stray shot doesn't go 2 miles like the .22 long rifles we used to start kids with.

I do have some "rat loads" that will chamber in a .357, probably quite close to the diameter of a .410 shot shell.

By the way, I shot skeet on the circuit for several years and the .410 was affectionately known as the "idiot stick!" I still like it for woodcock.

Gotta love the .410 you can fit in your pocket! :D:D:D

dubord207
04-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Actually not a bad combination and of course the Libertarian side of you shines forth when talk of closing a thread hits the wire here!

All these odd combinations and affiliations...... we are a diverse group. Anybody else want to confess to interesting combinations?

And a Libertarian member of both ACLU and NRA....

brdad
04-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Sheesh, maybe I'm about to learn something new here. I have 4 or 5 .410 shotguns, single shots. When I teach hunter safety, this is what we start the kids out with. Lots of noise, can hit a pepsi can and a stray shot doesn't go 2 miles like the .22 long rifles we used to start kids with.

I have one of these Cobray Model D from my father's collection which is designed to shoot a .45 colt or a .410 shot shell. I've never fired it, probably never will...

http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/16190802/9147382/acf177b.jpg

All these odd combinations and affiliations...... we are a diverse group. Anybody else want to confess to interesting combinations?

Does the fact I was born a poor black girl qualify?

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/images/notinatux.jpg

dubord207
04-28-2010, 05:08 PM
I have one of these Cobray Model D from my father's collection which is designed to shoot a .45 colt or a .410 shot shell. I've never fired it, probably never will...

http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/16190802/9147382/acf177b.jpg

Does the fact I was born a poor black girl qualify?

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/images/notinatux.jpg
Ah, qualify? Well I guess so but now we need to start a new thread: Cross-dressing geocachers I have known!:eek:

WhereRWe?
04-28-2010, 05:24 PM

Sheesh! Stupid thing looks like it's made of cast iron - no wonder you don't dare to shoot it! LOL!

Hikenfish
04-28-2010, 05:55 PM

I do have some "rat loads" that will chamber in a .357, probably quite close to the diameter of a .410 shot shell.

By the way, I shot skeet on the circuit for several years and the .410 was affectionately known as the "idiot stick!" I still like it for woodcock.

Hiram got it. This is a Judge http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm

Mapachi
04-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Actually not a bad combination and of course the Libertarian side of you shines forth when talk of closing a thread hits the wire here!

Pizza and a Poo Poo Platter!!:):):D:D

dubord207
04-28-2010, 07:22 PM
I'd never seen that one. I do have one Taurus...guess which one? Yeah, you're right! The .454 five shot revolver Taurus Raging Bull! Two times the firepower of a .45! 310 gran casall rounds. I won't let my friends shoot this one. It's a little stout in the recoil department! Wow, I like this thread...who started this one anyway?

Mapachi
04-28-2010, 07:33 PM
http://C:\Users\Patrick\Pictures\2008-12-14 McGuire photos\keepers

pjpreb
04-28-2010, 08:29 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/pjpreb/IMG_0001_15.jpg?t=1272500924 I could have shot this dude with a rubber band!

Hiram357
04-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Hiram got it. This is a Judge http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm

I've had my eye one of those for a while. But right now I just can't justify adding more guns to the bunker right now... :rolleyes::D

Maine Guide
04-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Interesting thread, as a certified state of maine handgun instructor I recomend if you do not know the laws pertaining then one should take another refresher class. Or better yet contact the issuing agency ie:local pd if you have on in your community or State police for all communities that do not have a local pd.

As for caching, this is new to me, thought we would develop some caching to be had by atv/snowmobile travel around the state. As far as carrying, yes .357 mag. or .45 auto which offers more cartridge capacity than the 357.

Ekidokai
04-29-2010, 01:02 AM
At the risk of getting hollered at. 2nd amendment.

Always have something on me. Because I can. Only forced into using one once, successfully.

That little one looks like a wrist breaker.

brdad
04-29-2010, 06:00 AM
Interesting thread, as a certified state of maine handgun instructor I recomend if you do not know the laws pertaining then one should take another refresher class. Or better yet contact the issuing agency ie:local pd if you have on in your community or State police for all communities that do not have a local pd.

As for caching, this is new to me, thought we would develop some caching to be had by atv/snowmobile travel around the state. As far as carrying, yes .357 mag. or .45 auto which offers more cartridge capacity than the 357.

Good advice, welcome to the addiction and to this site!

That little one looks like a wrist breaker.

I would imagine it would be. I'd have to be in a need to us it situation and not have other options before I'd consider it. More than likely it'll be sold off along with several others when I get back into that mode.

Hiram357
04-29-2010, 06:53 AM
More than likely it'll be sold off along with several others when I get back into that mode.

Ohh...? And what others of this collection might you be looking to sell?

brdad
04-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Ohh...? And what others of this collection might you be looking to sell?

Nothing spectacular, check your PM.

firefighterjake
04-29-2010, 07:57 AM

You know the more I learn about you the more interesting you become . . . not wishing you an early death . . . but I'm thinking your obit will be mighty interesting reading.;):D

Moonsouth
05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Hello, I carry a Kimber .45 Crimson Pro Carry most of the time. Sometimes I take my Sig 9mm. Yep I am paranoid. Been shot at too many times. Guess war will do that to you. I follow the old adage of rather have one and not need it, than need it and not have it.

dubord207
05-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Gob-ler and wife Kathy are due here at Chez Dubord within the hour. Tomorrow I will be "packing" an Ithica .10 guage mag loaded with Bismuth # 4's, 3 and a half inch shells. The barrel is extra full choke and 40 inches long! Weighs 12 pound and I assume Dick won't carry it for me again this year....but I bet with his extraordinary calling skills I'll be eating turkey tomorrow evening!:)

pm28570
05-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Gob-ler and wife Kathy are due here at Chez Dubord within the hour. Tomorrow I will be "packing" an Ithica .10 guage mag loaded with Bismuth # 4's, 3 and a half inch shells. The barrel is extra full choke and 40 inches long! Weighs 12 pound and I assume Dick won't carry it for me again this year....but I bet with his extraordinary calling skills I'll be eating turkey tomorrow evening!:)

But are you prepared for "crow"? :) Have fun and welcome back to Maine, Dick.

CARoperPhotography
05-03-2010, 05:07 PM
I cached and carried at the event Saturday night.... A smart move apparently...

Hiram357
05-03-2010, 05:54 PM
I cached and carried at the event Saturday night.... A smart move apparently...

Did something go awry Sat night?

brdad
05-03-2010, 06:08 PM
But are you prepared for "crow"? :) Have fun and welcome back to Maine, Dick.

Dan has done a good job keeping crow out of his diet!

I still have and remember my father using his Marlin 10 gauge goose gun, made a big difference over the rest of us with 12 gauges.

CARoperPhotography
05-03-2010, 08:26 PM
No. It's a joke. Although I do tend to carry more often than not. And since I was caching Saturday night and carrying, that would mean I was caching and carrying.

brdad
05-08-2010, 07:13 AM

I was watching a redneck documentary (aka youtube) last night and came across this pic. That guy looks familiar.....

Haffy
05-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Ha Ha HA ,love it!!!!!

dubord207
05-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Sheesh, Dave. That's not what I use for turkeys! That's obviously my deer rifle. And I thought you knew guns!:D

I was watching a redneck documentary (aka youtube) last night and came across this pic. That guy looks familiar.....

Opalsns
05-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Well, my son-in-law who is a law enforcement officer just had to dispatch a rabid raccoon right in a city when the raccoon was attacking him and the person who called about it being in her yard. There are more and more rabid (wild) animals in our woods - which is sad.

I have not carried while caching but would not discount the possibility. My concealed weapon permit is not current but upon renewing it might consider this. Agree with Sudonim - one should be fully trained.

Worked in a profession for over 20 years where I carried a weapon. My purse was specifically designed with a holster for a 38 and I had to qualify annually.

Haven't carried a weapon for a while. After hearing the tale of the cachers on the border, however, I have been thinking.

???????????

Opalsns
05-09-2010, 06:57 AM

Yeah, Which one?
Did anyone report to TAT??
Funny,
SOMEONE(???) reported to TAT about my joke reguarding watch mugglers with a gun, and my cache gets questioned. But this doesn't , HMMMmmmmmm.......

robt
05-09-2010, 09:15 AM

Dang I wish I had that gun when my daughter was a teen, might of scared away some of the looser she dated :D:D:D:D

Hiram357
05-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Yeah, Which one?
Funny,
SOMEONE(???) reported to TAT about my joke reguarding watch mugglers with a gun, and my cache gets questioned. But this doesn't , HMMMmmmmmm.......

This incident was back in '06 (back when GPSFun was our approver), as I recall it was reported to the state police.

brdad
05-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Yeah, Which one?
Funny,

The cache in question was the Little Falls Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a8b2325e-d4ab-408d-a141-871930e11a91) (GCWMFE) by Sudonim (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=198654) (2/2), on the eastern border. Tat was not a volunteer at the time, but I do think Groundspeak was aware of it as well as local authorities. Sudonim also put a warning on the cache page and I imagine was prepared to archive it if need be. And at least in my mind there is a difference between potential poachers in a cache area and suggesting an armed cache hider guard their cache from muggles.

CARoperPhotography
05-09-2010, 10:40 AM
I plan to start patrolling my caches on a daily basis armed and prepared to forcibly repell muggles!

dubord207
05-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Patty, meet Chadd. Chadd, meet Patty!

I'm going to get some C4 and Claymores to place around some of my caches that folks have been disturbing. Groundspeak is going to have to add an "explosives" icon to the attribute section. Lot easier then having to patrol caches. So Chadd, I'm sure you must still remember how to lay out a string of claymores?:D

I plan to start patrolling my caches on a daily basis armed and prepared to forcibly repell muggles!

Opalsns
05-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Hi Chadd,
Real Nice to meet Ya,
What's a claymore?
Is It Like a Spiked Trail Bat?

Opalsns

Haffy
05-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Claymores= Landmines

WhereRWe?
05-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Claymores= Landmines

Directional (aim-able) land mines. :D:D

Mapachi
05-14-2010, 07:35 AM
A Claymore is a BIG freekin' sword! Ask William Wallace. (Braveheart)

cano
05-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Claymore is a sword, don't you play RPGs?

Ekidokai
05-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Big guns, big explosions, smoke, fire, destruction.

Oh, I'm getting a funny feeling.