View Full Version : First Annual Get Useless In Eustis Event

kayaking loon
03-29-2008, 02:06 PM
This event by me (kayaking loon) and Team Richards is published now. I know it's not until September 27th, but who's coming????:):confused:

WhereRWe?
03-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Until Rick gets it on the front page, here's a link to the listing (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a0a6f73d-f9f7-4300-90c4-8b1a9c7b819e).

And one of us should be there! LOL!

Kacky
03-29-2008, 06:34 PM
I have John that weekend, he hates parties but I know he will enjoy a ride, so we might swing by with some food.

vicbiker
03-29-2008, 10:06 PM
long ways off....never know what will be going on....but if there is anyway possible....count me in......never can get to much of your area!!!!!

Ms Toastmaster
03-30-2008, 07:08 AM
I hope to be there. I've never been in the Eustis area but I hear it's beautiful. Team Martes and the Hookers were talking about joining the party too; but, as it has been stated before, it is still a long ways off and you never know what might happen before then.

Katadin Goddess
03-30-2008, 07:27 AM
looks like a great time. will plan to come and camp somewhere in the area, that is if im not working that weekend.

hollora
03-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Francis Family has planned vacation, I have made reservations - can't wait! Hoping bgrffdave and ALinME might be able to join us too!

Thanks for hosting!

djgray1200
05-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Maybe a little too early to commit to anything, but I would very much like to be there. Since caching is just as much about community as it is about the outdoors, and I haven't really met anyone in this circle yet, I think it would be pretty good to get together. Plus it will put a good wrap on a busy season here in OOB. Sounds fun.

hollora
05-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Maybe a little too early to commit to anything, but I would very much like to be there. Since caching is just as much about community as it is about the outdoors, and I haven't really met anyone in this circle yet, I think it would be pretty good to get together. Plus it will put a good wrap on a busy season here in OOB. Sounds fun.

KayakingLoon has the group site all set up so no worries there for space. Come for overnight or come for a day. We all love to meet new folks.

darterkitfox
05-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Well I will need a guarantee that I won't be forced to climb Bigelow mountain ever again!

hollora
05-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Well I will need a guarantee that I won't be forced to climb Bigelow mountain ever again!

No one would ever "force" you to do anything you do not wish. I have not had that pleasure but you are making me wonder - perhaps the kayaking caches would be better LOL........

Hope you can come on over to join us.:)

attroll
05-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Bigelow mountain is nothing you should try climbing Avery Peak. That is in my opinion better then Mount Katahdin.

kayaking loon
05-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Well, I'm glad that's settled! For entertainment at the Eustis event, everybody will climb Avery Peak. I could even put a cache there if I start now.....:eek:

darterkitfox
05-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Where is Avery Peak? We are a little bit better shape than last year when we started caching. Bigelow mountain wouldn't be so bad except when you are trying to do 9 caches in Eustis in one day including the drive there and back from your home 100 miles away, a 5 to 6 hour hike takes a big chunk out of the day. There was just that one spot on the mountain, almost straight up with all the loose gravel and small boulders similar to trying to climb an escalator going the wrong way, that was tough. Oh, and my wife and I never carry water with us as over many years we have conditioned ourselves to very little fluid intake. Unfortunately, Bigelow was tougher and longer than expected and we should have had liquid with us. Thank goodness for all the blueberries at the top.

attroll
05-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Avery Peak is part of the Bigelow range. You might have done it. It is the peak on the Bigelow's with the fire tower still on it. The tower is all boarded up though.

djgray1200
06-06-2008, 03:44 PM
This might be a little off topic but what is the policy on bringing beer to these events? I ask because I homebrew. I was thinking of crafting a 'Useless Ale' for the event. The only problem is that I have to make 5 gals at a time and love sharing what I craft:rolleyes:. Can't anyone help me?

Team2hunt
06-06-2008, 06:46 PM
This might be a little off topic but what is the policy on bringing beer to these events? I ask because I homebrew. I was thinking of crafting a 'Useless Ale' for the event. The only problem is that I have to make 5 gals at a time and love sharing what I craft:rolleyes:. Can't anyone help me?

There are several here who will be glad to share with you. I'll let the others speak for themselves...........HIRAM!! :p

Sabby
06-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Funny :) I didn't know Hiram knew anything about beer. ;)

WhereRWe?
06-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Funny :) I didn't know Hiram knew anything about beer. ;)

Sheesh! He doesn't! LOL!

djgray1200
06-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Actually, I've just read over Hiram & WhereRWe's Beer Chat thread. Completely inane but informed:rolleyes:. I don't think I'll have any problem finding someone to share with. Kinda cool to find there are a few home brewers here too. One question remains. What style should 'Useless Ale' be?

WhereRWe?
06-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Actually, I've just read over Hiram & WhereRWe's Beer Chat thread. Completely inane but informed:rolleyes:. I don't think I'll have any problem finding someone to share with. Kinda cool to find there are a few home brewers here too. One question remains. What style should 'Useless Ale' be?

Since Eustis is pretty much "out in the woods", I think a Spruce Beer (http://www.pioneerthinking.com/cgi-bin/cookbook.cgi?display:952480311-34026.txt) would be appropriate! :D:D

Team2hunt
06-07-2008, 07:29 PM
One question remains. What style should 'Useless Ale' be?

If you have to make 5 gallons at a time. Does it really matter what style it is? :eek:

Something with taste, like a red or an amber. But you make whatever you would like and we will be glad to sample it and let you know how it is. :confused: Surprise us! :)

d’76
06-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Something that was full bodied like PBR would be nice:D

Mainiac1957
06-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Something that was full bodied like PBR would be nice:D

A nice guy and all, BUT fine ale is not his forte':rolleyes:

Medawisla
06-08-2008, 04:50 PM
...but still about Eustis:
Rick, when you get a chance, remember to post this event and your Slipping Into Summer event on the home page. :cool:

Hiram357
06-08-2008, 05:08 PM

I like beers that resemble 15w/40 but few people share my love of chewable beer... :rolleyes: but I also like wheat ales, pale ales, porters, stouts, heck, I'll drink anything from Guinness extra stout to Coors (well, okay, not so much on the coors...) But if you brew it, they will drink, So suprise us! :D

A nice guy and all, BUT fine ale is not his forte':rolleyes:

I second that! :D

attroll
06-08-2008, 10:36 PM
27 Sept, if I do not have to work I will be there. I am hosting my annual hiker feed for all Appalachian Trail hikers the weekend of 13 Sept so that is the only weekend in Sept that I don't have free so far.

kayaking loon
06-13-2008, 08:49 AM

There's no problem with drinking at Cathedral Pines Campground. However, the Community Building only allows alcohol if I post a $100. security deposit in case everyone gets drunk and rowdy and trashes the place. Since I'm assuming the home brew won't be as potent as the lab alcohol we used to drink at Christmas parties when I worked for the federal government, everything should be OK. Question: do you want me to post the $100. so you can have beer or whatever there???? I get the deposit back if everything meets their approval after the party.

djgray1200
06-13-2008, 12:55 PM
I think I would like to poll everyone for a concensus here too. I would love to make everyone some beer, but do we want it to be something for afterward while at the camp? Or at the hall as well?

balinda
06-13-2008, 02:36 PM
We have alcoholism in our family both sides. I enjoy a good party but.... I want my children to know that a good party is not about how much alcohol is consumed or even what kind sometimes.

I would love to try your homebrew. I don't want this to be a big issue. We all live in the real world. Let's have the beer later?:cool:

Hiram357
06-13-2008, 02:52 PM
yeah, there's a time and a place for it (and $100 is a lot of money, that's almost 3gallons of gas!) So why don't we just save it for later around the campfire?? :D

WhereRWe?
06-13-2008, 04:41 PM
yeah, there's a time and a place for it (and $100 is a lot of money, that's almost 3gallons of gas!) So why don't we just save it for later around the campfire?? :D

Hiram and I are noted for our love of hops (Hey Aaron - i just ordered a hop root so I can grow my own!), but I agree with him.

Keep it for later.

HOWEVER, Since we won't be staying the night, can I have a bottle to take with me??? :o:o

Hiram357
06-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Hiram and I are noted for our love of hops (Hey Aaron - i just ordered a hop root so I can grow my own!), but I agree with him.

Keep it for later.

HOWEVER, Since we won't be staying the night, can I have a bottle to take with me??? :o:o

(Sweet! Your own hop root!!! If that works out you need to post some specifics in the beer thread!) :D

and you can take my bottles with you if you really need the nickles... :p

kayaking loon
06-14-2008, 11:03 AM

Beer later works for me. But hey, Jeremy, how about calling it "Bigelow Beer"? Doesn't that sound better than "Useless Beer"???? Or "Moose Ale"....???;)

Medawisla
06-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Beer later works for me. But hey, Jeremy, how about calling it "Bigelow Beer"? Doesn't that sound better than "Useless Beer"???? Or "Moose Ale"....???;)

I like the ring to that! :cool:
Glad we all found a compromise! Can't wait!:D

djgray1200
06-14-2008, 04:25 PM
I first want to say thank you to Balinda for bringing up a sensitive subject so tactfully. I'm all about respect. Respecting people and respecting beer. For me it's about quality and not quantity. Noone wants to turn this party into a kegger. Plus I haven't got that type of equipment.;)I think the other beer guys in this group feel the same way. And also in keeping with Hiram & whererwe's mention of hops, I've decided on a nice hoppy 'Bigelow Brown'.

Medawisla
06-14-2008, 06:18 PM
I first want to say thank you to Balinda for bringing up a sensitive subject so tactfully. I'm all about respect. Respecting people and respecting beer. For me it's about quality and not quantity. Noone wants to turn this party into a kegger. Plus I haven't got that type of equipment.;)I think the other beer guys in this group feel the same way. And also in keeping with Hiram & whererwe's mention of hops, I've decided on a nice hoppy 'Bigelow Brown'.

Yes! Browns, my favorite!!

Hiram357
06-14-2008, 06:20 PM

We'll I've got the equipment if you want to do a kegger... :rolleyes:

But like I said earlier, there's a time and a place for it. (and the family events aren't really one of them) :D

Can't wait to try the B3 (heh get it, Bigelow Brown Beer) :D

Mainiac1957
06-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Pepsi at the hall and Ale at the campground. That will work for me. I can't wait to try your home brew. Someone brought some to Slippin into Summer a few years back and it was awesome.

kayaking loon
06-15-2008, 07:51 AM

I like the name, Bigelow Brown Beer! "Useless" beer sounds like everyone was going to drink until they were useless. :eek: And to tell the truth, I've never really liked beer, although I did minor in beer drinking in college..... And I remember liking Molson Golden once in a while.... My husband likes Guiness Stout, which tastes like cough medicine to me.

And thanks for settling this so nicely. :D Coffee, tea, cocoa and Pepsi at the Community Building it is.

Quiet time at the campground starts at 10:00 PM so please pass out by that time....

hollora
06-15-2008, 09:08 AM
.... My husband likes Guiness Stout.... Man after my heart! ;)

It will be nice for the family part to be at the community building and the optional adult beverage at the campground.:) I am pretty sure by 10P everyone will either be through the green door:cool: or have given up. LOL I probably won't remember the rules ...........

Hiram357
06-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Quiet time at the campground starts at 10:00 PM so please pass out by that time....

Ya don't hafta tell me twice! :rolleyes::D

attroll
06-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Ya don't hafta tell me twice! :rolleyes::D
I know because the third time we will hit you up side the head.

Foxgloves
07-20-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm not having much luck finding a website for Cathedral Pines Campground. I tried getting to the link via www.eustismaine.com (http://www.eustismaine.com) as was posted on the cache page but "can't get there from here" LoL
I've even tried googling it with no luck

How did everyone make their reservations? Did you make them blindly or did you have a site map to look at? I understand a group site has been reserved for Saturday night but I'd like to look at it and also see the campground too.

If anyone has a working link can you post it?
Thanx

hollora
07-20-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm not having much luck finding a website for Cathedral Pines Campground. I tried getting to the link via www.eustismaine.com (http://www.eustismaine.com) as was posted on the cache page but "can't get there from here" LoL
I've even tried googling it with no luck

How did everyone make their reservations? Did you make them blindly or did you have a site map to look at? I understand a group site has been reserved for Saturday night but I'd like to look at it and also see the campground too.

If anyone has a working link can you post it?
Thanx

Nikki - I did originally use their web site and finally talked to them a couple of times on the phone. I can no longer find a working link either.

Jean was also very helpful. Maybe she can post a pdf file of the map of the campground.

Looking forward to a fund weekend!

hollora
07-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Woot! Seven - count them, seven new 4X4 caches off Route 16 out of Stratton by Katadin Goddess and OneStep. Now, this is a ride which looks like a lot of fun.

Thanks KG for your commitment to put our caches which are, well, out of the way and out of the ordinary.

Foxgloves
07-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Nikki - ........ I can no longer find a working link either.

Jean was also very helpful. Maybe she can post a pdf file of the map of the campground.

Yes apparently their website is down. I called the campground this afternoon and requested a campground map.
If you reserve a site on your own it is $22/night for water and electric.
W/O it is $20/night.
I went on the Mainecampgrounds website and they give a little description of the campground itself. Apparently it has WI-FI too for those who can't leave home w/o their technical gadgets ;):rolleyes:

kayaking loon
07-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Woot! Seven - count them, seven new 4X4 caches off Route 16 out of Stratton by Katadin Goddess and OneStep. Now, this is a ride which looks like a lot of fun.

Thanks KG for your commitment to put our caches which are, well, out of the way and out of the ordinary.

I'm already thinking of adding those to the Master's degree from the University of Eustis!

hollora
07-21-2008, 07:22 PM
That sounds like fun - I am learning to use my 4x4 and Mainiac had to help me tonight on some loose gravel - but he will tell you.....I pretty well have the mud, puddles and rocks mastered LOL If the Jeep can do it - I think the 4 Runner can.....and Oh, Jean - if not before, I do take riders and the Runner has OMG handles in all positions!

Katadin Goddess
07-21-2008, 07:28 PM
went to Rangely last saturday when onestep told me he wanted to see if the jeep would make it up to the top of the sw peak of east kennebago, one of the peaks he has bushwacked, acutally he walked most the way from a logging road and got his car stuck in last spring. so, it was fun putting caches along points where it would be obvious to turn to make it towards the top. only reason caches are placed at certain spots. they are all park and grabs, if you can drive to them that is.

as for alcohol. im not into alcohol or drugs. i work with addicts, drunks and all sorts. i've worked at the prison, with impaired drivers, county jail, probation, courts, homeless, you name it, all walks of life etc. if someone has a few drinks, that doesnt bother me at all. when people get buzzed, or drunk and obnoxious, i dont find it fun to be around that behavior. there is a difference between being silly glo and "buzzed". its my personal choice and i choose to not be around the latter. i've seen it 40 plus hours a week for the last 20 years, thats enough.

if people decide to do something in common that they find fun be it "partying to get buzzed" that is their business and their right. i dont have to be a part of it and if i do choose, i can stay for a bit and split after an hour or so.

its a moto i heard somewhere of live and let live.

Katadin Goddess
07-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Hollora, unless there is a huge spring rain run off, you should do just fine as long as you have some clearance and decent tires. i think a awd subaru would even make it most of the way this time of year. there were a few mud spots, but nothing serious. caches are placed 1 mile apart as the crow flies. its 8 miles from the rt 16 to the top.

hollora
07-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Hollora, unless there is a huge spring rain run off, you should do just fine as long as you have some clearance and decent tires. i think a awd subaru would even make it most of the way this time of year. there were a few mud spots, but nothing serious. caches are placed 1 mile apart as the crow flies. its 8 miles from the rt 16 to the top.

Good tires, so far I have, as the vehicle is fairly new and I haven't thrashed yet!;) I do have clearance and this is the reason I didn't get a Highlander but the 4 Runner - everyone said the clearance was better. Brad, Kathy and I went up to NWE's new cache tonight and we had a good time - that road is narrow, with mud spots ......... so I think we are cool here. I am so looking forward to this fall adventure.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. And - thanks for placing these caches. Woot!:D

kayaking loon
08-26-2008, 06:15 PM
:confused: Cachers are calling Cathedral Pines Campground and reserving sites for the Eustis event and asking to be placed near other cachers. But the office doesn't know who is a cacher and who isn't. So if you have reserved, could you e-mail me and tell me what site you're on? Or if you reserve, could you specify that you're a cacher? Thanks.

I also want to remind everybody that I have paid for the group sites across the street for Friday and Saturday nights, the 26th and 27th, so you can camp there for free. If nobody plans to use them, I can cancel. If a lot of people want to use them I need to know that too for "traffic control". RSVP. I need to start lists. Thanks!

Haffy
08-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Sure wish I was able to attend and I would for sure go for the "group site". I thought everyone was going to be using that. What time is everyone going to be leaving on Sunday?

Medawisla
08-26-2008, 09:22 PM
:confused: Cachers are calling Cathedral Pines Campground and reserving sites for the Eustis event and asking to be placed near other cachers. But the office doesn't know who is a cacher and who isn't. So if you have reserved, could you e-mail me and tell me what site you're on? Or if you reserve, could you specify that you're a cacher? Thanks.

I also want to remind everybody that I have paid for the group sites across the street for Friday and Saturday nights, the 26th and 27th, so you can camp there for free. If nobody plans to use them, I can cancel. If a lot of people want to use them I need to know that too for "traffic control". RSVP. I need to start lists. Thanks!

I need to get Hiram's attention focused for a few minutes to figure this out, wish me luck, I know you understand.:rolleyes: I think we'd be fine with the group site though.:cool:

attroll
08-27-2008, 01:44 AM
I am hoping to attend but will not need a whole campsite. I am hoping that someone will just let me use two trees on their site so I can hang my hammock from them (if I don't have to work).

dubord207
08-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Dianne and I and the dogs have tent site 55. Just catching up on the topics related to this fine event. I climbed to Avery Peak 3 years ago and felt the climb was comparable to Katahdin. It will be an all day deal for most but what a view!

We tried to snowmobile up East Kennebago a couple of years ago after 18 inches of new snow and think we may have set a Guiness (like that HIram) record for the most stuck sleds. Not sure if my full size Silverado is too big to try the trail?

As far as beer and other libations, I like the campfire idea as well. One warning and that's about my older Lab, Nick. He's liked beer since he was a puppy. It used to be cute but now he'll knock a beer over if you don't give him a little. I'll "talk" to him about being on his best behavior but I am willing to bet he'll bag a beer at some point during the weekend.:)

We are really looking to seeing you all at what should be a great event!

Kaching Karen
08-27-2008, 07:09 AM
I plan on using the group site on Saturday night. I'm thinking of kayaking or hiking to a camping spot on Friday night. I get out of work at 2:30, so it would have to be a short paddle/hike. I don't mind paddling in the fading light. I'm game for some of the same on Sunday. Is anyone else in?

kayaking loon
08-27-2008, 09:46 AM
I am hoping to attend but will not need a whole campsite. I am hoping that someone will just let me use two trees on their site so I can hang my hammock from them (if I don't have to work).

Hey guys, these group sites I have reserved across the street are HUGE. They'll hold RVs, tents, hammocks. I think each site will hold 20 people. I've already paid for them so don't be shy about free camping! Just let me know you plan to use them so I don't end up trying to put 50 people on each site or so I don't end up with one scared little camper all alone over there! Thanks!

The group sites have firerings, picnic tables and outhouses. No hookups. If you want those and/or water views you need to reserve (and pay for yourself) across the street at the main campground. But group site people get the use of all the facilities across the street: hot showers, flush toilets, playground, firewood, use of canoes, kayaks, paddleboats...

pjpreb
08-27-2008, 12:06 PM
We have site #41.

We'll be bringing our new geopup, Chip. Chip is a 6 month old Daschund/Jack Russell mix that was rescued from the puppy mill in New Portland last July. He is a very sweet dog but he doesn't trust humans much (yet). He's improving every day though :)

When attending the GeoJamboree in CT last June they had a "sign contest". Cachers made a poster or sign with their caching name and where they were from and put it out in front of their site. It was easy to find the sites with cachers (although i think only 3 sites in the park were non-cachers). Might be an idea for Useless in Eustis Part Deux. (next year)

Team Richards
08-27-2008, 12:34 PM
We have site #41.

When attending the GeoJamboree in CT last June they had a "sign contest". Cachers made a poster or sign with their caching name and where they were from and put it out in front of their site. It was easy to find the sites with cachers (although i think only 3 sites in the park were non-cachers). Might be an idea for Useless in Eustis Part Deux. (next year)

That sounds like a great idea!!

vicbiker
08-27-2008, 01:37 PM
I plan on being there and will be using the group site at least for one night. Karen's idea sounds good too, all depends on when I can get there and if Chercacher is coming with me.

attroll
08-27-2008, 11:55 PM
I plan on being there and will be using the group site at least for one night. Karen's idea sounds good too, all depends on when I can get there and if Chercacher is coming with me. Vic if I attend I will also be using the group site. So don't worry you will not be alone. I thought the whole idea was to get together anyways and not have separate camp sites all over the place.

kayaking loon
08-29-2008, 02:57 PM
" I thought the whole idea was to get together anyways and not have separate camp sites all over the place."

Don't worry, it's not that big a place, you'll find each other.

AND, they sell firewood at the campground , $4.00 per bag. I'll try to find some free wood around here but they just chipped everything in sight. Maybe for wood pellets?

And the boats are for rent, not for free use. $15.00 for a full day, $10.00 for a half day + a deposit of $20.00 refundable when you return the equipment in good condition. And I have 5 kayaks.

Team Richards
08-29-2008, 04:00 PM
they sell firewood at the campground , $4.00 per bag. I'll try to find some free wood around here but they just chipped everything in sight. Maybe for wood pellets?

And the boats are for rent, not for free use. $15.00 for a full day, $10.00 for a half day + a deposit of $20.00 refundable when you return the equipment in good condition. And I have 5 kayaks.[/quote]

We plan on stying at the group site with our tent we call the Tashmatent.

I was planning to bring up our 3 kayaks and our canoe for anyone who would like to use them.
Please let me know if you think you might.want to use the boats. if everyone is bringing their own I wont bring all of ours.

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guys brother. That told me where I can get some fire wood. We'll have to post a guard on it though this stuff is valuable.

fins2right
09-01-2008, 02:01 PM
My family is coming up. This looks like a great 2nd to the last camping trip of the year. We are going to come up Friday after school so I am going to reserve a camp site. We are really looking forward to exploring a new area. My wife broke her ankle in March and is still a little limited as far as hiking goes, but it looks like there is plenty of caching in the area that does not include a long hike. We did just complete all of the caches in Vaughn Woods in Hallowell and she felt good, so semi-level hiking is OK. We are already collecting a few TB's to bring up. It looks like one of mine is already there. I wish my pathtag would be ready by then, but I am not holding my breath. Any advise on caches in the area? Also, what would people like at the Pot Luck dinner? I would also like to say how impressed I am with the beer thread. Not that I am opposed to beer (just the opposite, I plan on speaking to a beer or three at the Jimmy Buffett concert in Mass Sept. 6th. That is if the rain from Hurricane Hannah isn't in the area. How ironic, Buffett may be rained out by a Hurricane, in New England :( ), but with kids I like the idea of sharing a beer around the campfire, not at the event. It's nice to have the option. We've never been north of Sugarloaf, so this should be a blast! Fins2right

Medawisla
09-01-2008, 07:08 PM
I was planning to bring up our 3 kayaks and our canoe for anyone who would like to use them.
Please let me know if you think you might.want to use the boats. if everyone is bringing their own I wont bring all of ours.

Hiram and I enjoy getting on the water with friends, but we don't have boats, so this might save us a few $$.:cool: Though I don't want to promise we'll use them, 'cause we haven't decided what we're doing that weekend: hiking, paddling, or other...:p I think there may be other cachers like us, boatless but also plan-less.:rolleyes:

Team2hunt
09-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Just a reminder of how cold it can get overnight up in the mountains. Espicially at the end of September. I like the cooler temps, and I can't wait to wake up with a little frost on me. :p

hollora
09-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Packing blankets in the camper - but a frosty nose is always fine.

Mapachi
09-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Gail and I are chickening out on camping and opted for the Spillover Motel for two nights. We will sit around the campfire with everyone and when "Shotgun" starts to misfire, we will head out for our nice beds! I used to drink huge amounts of beer and hard stuff. I quit about five years ago. I don't mind being around drunks at all. It reminds me why I stopped!
I say we get a convoy formed for the East Kennebago caches. If someone feels their vehicle can't make it, we have room for two in the back seat of "Yoda".
We're getting excited now! We were up there last week-end and planted four caches around Flagstaff Lake for you all to enjoy! We have done only a couple of finds up there. (we saved them for the event). This should be a lot of fun. The trees are just starting to change color now. Should be getting pretty by the event!.....See you all there!

Team2hunt
09-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Packing blankets in the camper - but a frosty nose is always fine.

As long as it's just your nose...:eek:

Medawisla
09-07-2008, 08:42 PM
This old thread may help some out: http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2168&highlight=camping

While the nights won't be as cold as the night on the bog last March, a nalgene with hot water at the bottom of the sleeping bag (and other great tips from that link) may be appreciated during this trip.;)

I really don't expect the drinking to be excessive. Most of the geocachers I've met so far enjoy sharing homebrews and a few drinks, but getting drunk isn't the objective.:p

Hiram and I are really excited about this even too! We might need to consider getting a new GPS by then too...:rolleyes:

kayaking loon
09-11-2008, 03:01 PM
I went to Sam's Club and bought disposable plates, dessert plates, hot cups, cold cups, knives, forks and spoons, cocoa, coffee, tea bags, marshmallows, sugar, creamer (dry + liquid), napkins. What else do I need? Couldn't find pats of butter. Foxgloves is bringing cider and apple crisp. Who's bringing what??

I have also put out three new caches to be published the day of the event and have plans for at least one more. There is wi-fi at the campground and at the public library which is very near the Community Building so you may be able to get it there. The library with computers is open Sat. 9-noon. Or 9-1. Hmmm....

I have 5 kayaks and know where I can borrow two more at least.

I've requested good weather.....

Team V3
09-11-2008, 03:07 PM
I would love to attend one of these events and plan to at some point. We have quite a bit of traveling this summer and may not be able to do too much until after the holidays. Busy season for retail is right around the corner.

hollora
09-11-2008, 03:44 PM
I went to Sam's Club and bought disposable plates, dessert plates, hot cups, cold cups, knives, forks and spoons, cocoa, coffee, tea bags, marshmallows, sugar, creamer (dry + liquid), napkins. What else do I need? Couldn't find pats of butter. Foxgloves is bringing cider and apple crisp. Who's bringing what??

I have also put out three new caches to be published the day of the event and have plans for at least one more. There is wi-fi at the campground and at the public library which is very near the Community Building so you may be able to get it there. The library with computers is open Sat. 9-noon. Or 9-1. Hmmm....

I have 5 kayaks and know where I can borrow two more at least.

I've requested good weather.....

If the community building doesn't have salt and pepper for you - I have lots of the individual packets - let me know and I put them in the camper. Not sure on food yet but I will post after the weekend.

Thanks for all your work on this one Jean!

fins2right
09-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Is Lasagna OK?

kayaking loon
09-12-2008, 07:00 AM
:)
If the community building doesn't have salt and pepper for you - I have lots of the individual packets - let me know and I put them in the camper. Not sure on food yet but I will post after the weekend
Salt and pepper would be good. I don't know if we'll have any food that needs salt and pepper but it pays to be prepared.

kayaking loon
09-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Is Lasagna OK?

Lasagna should be very good! Everybody likes lasagna, don't they??

Team2hunt
09-12-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm thinking it will be cool outside and a chilli would heat things up. Just ask Hiram. I'll be bringing the usual hot sauces, with warnings! :D

Since I'm sure that we will be out tackling the ranges on Saturday. Can we leave the crockpots off in the AM, and have someone plug them in as needed, say around noontime?

pjpreb
09-12-2008, 12:31 PM
We'll bring a crock pot full of meatballs

Foxgloves
09-16-2008, 12:33 PM
I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guys brother. That told me where I can get some fire wood. We'll have to post a guard on it though this stuff is valuable.

Were you able to find out if your friend of a friend of a friend's friend ;) will have firewood available? T2H and I can bring a little bit but with these bonfires that go L O N G into the night, we may need another resource.

BTW, who is hosting the Saturday night bonfire? Will that be at the group site?

attroll
09-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Looks like I have talked Tink into coming to this one and she may bring one of her friends. Now I am just keeping my fingers crossed that i do not have to work.

Team Richards
09-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Were you able to find out if your friend of a friend of a friend's friend ;) will have firewood available? T2H and I can bring a little bit but with these bonfires that go L O N G into the night, we may need another resource.

BTW, who is hosting the Saturday night bonfire? Will that be at the group site?

I have a jag of wood all cut and split. It's all Quaking Aspen but it should do the trick.
I'm not sure if there are any firm plans as far as location of the fire but I may be mistaken.

kayaking loon
09-16-2008, 05:21 PM
I have a jag of wood all cut and split. It's all Quaking Aspen but it should do the trick.
I'm not sure if there are any firm plans as far as location of the fire but I may be mistaken.

Hollora plans to host the campfire on her lot, # 64. But if anyone wants one in the group area, that's fine too. Quiet hours start at 10:00 PM so it would need to be a very quiet campfire after that, at least in the main campground. At the group sites it doesn't matter so much (unless someone wants to sleep!). :eek:

darterkitfox
09-16-2008, 05:37 PM

Was it just regular aspen before it found out it was going to hang out with you guys?

hollora
09-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Hollora plans to host the campfire on her lot, # 64. But if anyone wants one in the group area, that's fine too. Quiet hours start at 10:00 PM so it would need to be a very quiet campfire after that, at least in the main campground. At the group sites it doesn't matter so much (unless someone wants to sleep!). :eek:

Jean is correct here - I plan on everyone coming to the shore if you want. It's up to what everyone decides. I, too, am planning on bringing some wood but we are going up on Thursday - hope to have some left by Saturday.

Team Richards
09-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Was it just regular aspen before it found out it was going to hang out with you guys?

Yup it started quaking when it saw me with the chain saw.

Team Richards
09-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Jean is correct here - I plan on everyone coming to the shore if you want. It's up to what everyone decides. I, too, am planning on bringing some wood but we are going up on Thursday - hope to have some left by Saturday.

I'm headed up Thursday too.
I can't believe we will burn all this wood, but I hate to throw that out as a challenge.
If we do... I know a guy, that knows a guy, that knows a guy in Eustis that I can steal some wood from.:D:cool:

attroll
09-16-2008, 11:45 PM
If quite hours start at 10:00 PM in the main campground then it might be better to have the campfire for everyone in the group sites. Just a thought.

hollora
09-17-2008, 07:18 AM
If quite hours start at 10:00 PM in the main campground then it might be better to have the campfire for everyone in the group sites. Just a thought.

It might be possible to have a fire one place for a while and then have a fire at the group spot later. We will be traveling with a toddler so whatever the group decides is fine with us. Just offered since we were on the lake.

Foxgloves
09-17-2008, 12:49 PM

Wow A jag of wood! Thats great but......uh.....whats a jag?
In Vermont we refer to it as a pile of wood or a cord
(or is that coord) of wood. I have never heard of a jag before :o
It sounds like you went to a lot of trouble Dave to acquire this for us. Thank you ! :)

Sudonim
09-17-2008, 04:03 PM
It sounds like you went to a lot of trouble Dave to acquire this for us. Thank you ! :)

No, if it was a lot of trouble, it would be a crying jag!:D

Haffy
09-17-2008, 04:26 PM

jag \'jag\ n - 1. Used to describe a large amount of any one thing; "Buddy's got some nice jag o' wood piled up fer next winter

Team Richards
09-17-2008, 04:47 PM

Well, I like Haffy's definition, I just found that on line. they have some good information in that Carleton County Colloquialisms, and as the introduction says about the words in the book.
"If you're from anywhere west of Quebec, you don't care. If you're from anywhere south and west of Massachusetts, you don't know, and you don't care."
I have been saying jag for as long I can remember.
Less than a cord more than you want to lug. O an we pronounce it "cod of wood":D.
As for trouble, it was none. Trouble when you are cutting trees is when the tree doesn't hit the ground. It could hit the truck, or the barn, house, neighbors house. etc

firefighterjake
09-18-2008, 08:00 AM
. . .As for trouble, it was none. Trouble when you are cutting trees is when the tree doesn't hit the ground. It could hit the truck, or the barn, house, neighbors house. etc

. . . or head.

kayaking loon
09-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Delorme has donated three Maine atlases as door prizes for the Eustis event. They also sent a PN-20 loaner kit in case anyone wants to try one out. Hmmmm... maybe not Hiram? (Just kidding!) :D

Team2hunt
09-18-2008, 06:43 PM
cod ah wud. :rolleyes: Now it's jag that will probally become jug ah wud. And that is completly something else. :( I just learned " growla ". :cool:

fins2right
09-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Question about TB's and Coins. This being my first event and all I was wondering about bringing a few TB's and a coin I've picked up in the last week or so. Is there going to be an exchange, or should I spread them around lovely Freeport on Saturday?

Team Richards
09-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Question about TB's and Coins. This being my first event and all I was wondering about bringing a few TB's and a coin I've picked up in the last week or so. Is there going to be an exchange, or should I spread them around lovely Freeport on Saturday?

There will be a TB and Coin table and some have already been logged into the event. I leave it up to you as to where you leave them but I suggest you read the coin or TB page as some owners would rather that their coins and TB's not be left at events.
See ya up there

pjpreb
09-20-2008, 09:21 PM
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/pjpreb/th_ChipindaHood_1_1.jpg

Chip has a new warm hoodie and he's ready for Eustis!

kayaking loon
09-21-2008, 07:51 AM
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/pjpreb/th_ChipindaHood_1_1.jpg

Chip has a new warm hoodie and he's ready for Eustis!

Cute! He can help round up the Useless Eustis Ewes. There will be eleven of them that need to be found.

pjpreb
09-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Chip still has a lot to learn about caching...like going around a tree on the same side that I did. We spend way too much time untangling him from trees and bushes. He'll catch on sooner or later. He has the kayak nap perfected so that's something.:)

fins2right
09-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Is anyone going west, or knows a cacher going west soon? I picked up a TB in Freeport that needs to go to AZ. It's an Army band tb that has made it from AZ to Iraq and back. I thought I'd bring it up and give it to someone that could help. P.S. The kids are working hard on our poster for the Event.

kymeejay
09-21-2008, 04:15 PM
I am going to New Mexico in three weeks. I can get it that far if you like.

fins2right
09-21-2008, 04:35 PM
I am going to New Mexico in three weeks. I can get it that far if you like.
That would be fantastic. I just got an email from the owner saying that the Army is probably going to call him out of retirement and send him back to Iraq. :( It would me a nice gesture to get it back to him before he leaves. Thanks and I'll see you in Eustis.:)

kayaking loon
09-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Out of the coins and TBs I'm bringing to the event, I have one that wants to go to "difficult" places. Anybody climbing Cranberry Peak? One wants to go to San Francisco if anybody is going west. And after the event, I have a cacher from Germany coming here, and he's offered to take any bugs and coins that want to go to Europe. See you all soon! :D

Mainiac1957
09-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Team2Hunt said he and Foxgloves were planning to climb it. Check with them.

Team2hunt
09-22-2008, 08:10 PM
we are planning on doing the hike sometime during the weekend.

eebee
09-22-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm going to be attending the event with Davidson 7 and we can't wait!! We're going to be arriving late on Friday evening, so we're planning on staying at a motel that night. We'll be setting up camp at one of the group sites on Saturday morning. I'm traveling from New Brunswick, so I'm not sure what I can bring along for the meal on Saturday, maybe some kind of sweets.

One question for attroll, I've got a hammock tent, too, and I can't wait to string it up, but I've only ever used it in the middle of summer. Any hints on how to stay warm? I use a foam pad for insulation even in the summer, but should I have anything else?

eebee
09-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Oh, also want to say that I'm so happy there will be kayaks available! I'd love to get out on the water sometime this weekend but don't have one of my own (yet) to bring.

kayaking loon
09-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Oh, also want to say that I'm so happy there will be kayaks available! I'd love to get out on the water sometime this weekend but don't have one of my own (yet) to bring.

You can also rent kayaks at the Pines Market, right next to the campground, $10.00 per day.

dubord207
09-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Di and I are making a kielbasa dish with chunks of pineapple, cherries and an oriental sweet and sour sauce. Hope the weather holds out for those of us in tents. Watching Kevin Mannix this morning and don't like it when he says rain on Saturday and the rain has a name....Kyle! Patrick, mapachi, who is part Indian, I think, says that nothing can get past the Bigelow Mountain range this time of year. I'm bring #14 sun screen, the rain be damned!!!!!:):)

dubord207
09-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Don't worry about the calories or fat. Up until 5 years ago, I thought "High Cholesterol" was a Jewish holiday!:):):)

Ekidokai
09-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Chip still has a lot to learn about caching...like going around a tree on the same side that I did. We spend way too much time untangling him from trees and bushes. He'll catch on sooner or later. He has the kayak nap perfected so that's something.:)

Maybe Chip is not the one that needs training. Some times the dogs know better. Ha, ha.

attroll
09-24-2008, 02:29 AM
I am not trying to jinx anything but the weekend weather is not looking to good right now at all.

Mainiac1957
09-24-2008, 06:00 AM
Weather schmether....:p Kyle phewey..... :cool:I'll be there along with rest of the hearty cachers. The canopy will be up in the group site on Friday night. Room for quite a few to be under. It did the job at Tread Lightly. See you all real soon.;):p:rolleyes::D

Opalsns
09-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Weather schmether....:p Kyle phewey..... :cool:I'll be there along with rest of the hearty cachers. The canopy will be up in the group site on Friday night. Room for quite a few to be under. It did the job at Tread Lightly. See you all real soon.;):p:rolleyes::D

Remember, Maniac is IN with the weather gods!!!!
We'll be there.
Heck, BubbaBass and I went Fishing during a hurricane. We didn't catch anything. Not even a cold!!!!!:o
Opalsns

kayaking loon
09-24-2008, 12:41 PM
I am not trying to jinx anything but the weekend weather is not looking to good right now at all.

I'm not too happy with the weatherman right now. But... we've cached in rain, even downpours, and still had a good time. And there are motels for those who wimp out. And we do have the Community Building all day Saturday, hot water, heat, rest rooms, hot coffee. We're opening it at 7:00 AM and we can stay until midnight if we want to. But maybe, just maybe, the weatherman will be wrong.....

fins2right
09-24-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm not too happy with the weatherman right now. But... we've cached in rain, even downpours, and still had a good time. And there are motels for those who wimp out. And we do have the Community Building all day Saturday, hot water, heat, rest rooms, hot coffee. We're opening it at 7:00 AM and we can stay until midnight if we want to. But maybe, just maybe, the weatherman will be wrong.....

I'll admit that there was a short debate with my wife and I about heading up in the rain with the kids. To heck with it, I'm going to Dicks today to buy new rainpants for the kids and we are going, Tropical Storm or Not.:mad::mad::D

Davidson 7
09-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Well, intellicast is forecasting "showers" for Saturday, and "rain" for Sunday.... NWS says 60% chance of precip on Sat, 50% chance on Sat night, and 50% Sunday.... now, if they were saying 80% or more I *might* rearrange everything, but I think for now we'll tough it out :);):)

Team2hunt
09-24-2008, 06:28 PM

That's geo-speak for.........."I'm not coming" :p:D:)

Hope to see everyone there. I wouldn't miss it for anything, including a little rain. :rolleyes:

Mainiac1957
09-24-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm loaded for bear, and for a drizzle. No biggie!! Been waiting for this one for a long time. See you all soon.

dubord207
09-24-2008, 09:04 PM
We're packed! We're ready! We don't care what the weather brings. Cabela's will be proud of us. Let it rain, so what! Don't give up on this fun event folks! Cache on!!!! We will be setting up our tent tomorrow!!:):):):):)

d’76
09-24-2008, 09:21 PM
After hearing the weather forecast I think the little woman and I will be staying home this weekend to get caught up on some much needed housework.:mad:

Oh well maybe next year

Hiram357
09-24-2008, 09:25 PM
After hearing the weather forecast I think the little woman and I will be staying home this weekend to get caught up on some much needed housework.:mad:

Oh well maybe next year

don't be such a sally, I have a tarp that will cover you whole truck you can borrow.

d’76
09-24-2008, 09:28 PM
don't be such a sally, I have a tarp that will cover you whole truck you can borrow.

Sorry man.... After all those things you keep saying in the Atv thread I think I should stay home:p;)

Hiram357
09-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Sorry man.... After all those things you keep saying in the Atv thread I think I should stay home:p;)

oh i see how it is... now your just tryin to be all emotional and make me look like the bad guy so that you can manufacture an excuse not to go...

cmon, it's a huge tarp, it'll cover your whole truck and tailgate so you don't get wet when going to the beer cooler.

eebee
09-24-2008, 09:31 PM

Oh well maybe next year

That's too bad. I was looking forward to seeing you guys again.

d’76
09-24-2008, 09:32 PM
That's too bad. I was looking forward to seeing you guys again.

You have to drive almost right by the house, stop in

Mapachi
09-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Ok, Listen.....The Straton-Eustis area is in the Canada weather zone. The mountain range there works as a "heater bank" and will keep the storm to our south. The storm is a counter-clockwise event, and will use the coastline like a ladder and head for Labrador, post haste. We should get maybe a shower or two at the most.........TRUST ME!
I'll jump in the lake with all my clothes on , if I'm wrong! (if I'm wrong, I'll be soaked anyway!)

hollora
09-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Ok, Listen.....The Straton-Eustis area is in the Canada weather zone. The mountain range there works as a "heater bank" and will keep the storm to our south. The storm is a counter-clockwise event, and will use the coastline like a ladder and head for Labrador, post haste. We should get maybe a shower or two at the most.........TRUST ME!
I'll jump in the lake with all my clothes on , if I'm wrong! (if I'm wrong, I'll be soaked anyway!)

Ah, my friend - I will be watching to see if you take a swim! I have towels in the camper and a lakeside site. You are right about the weather - a totally different picture up there.

We are nearly packed and ready. Hey, it rained for part of the 2008 Tread Lightly but we all had a great time.

Dave1976 - come on and earn your wings - more than one Rain event in 2008! Maybe we should create a patch or something LOL!

See you all there!

Cache Maine
09-24-2008, 11:23 PM
more than one Rain event in 2008! Maybe we should create a patch or something LOL!

See you all there!

***cough*** Pathtag! ***cough***

:D

dubord207
09-25-2008, 05:45 AM
Here's the 5:30 AM update from the Dubord household. We've completely packed. I couldn't get another jar of olives in my truck if I tried. We're heading out within the hour and have developed Plan B, which involves staying at a camp in the Valley. I was up at 4:00 looking at weather maps and listening to weather guys on TV. We're headed north for sure, just not sure if tenting out this weekend is the smartest choice. Dianne is like a little kid on Christmas morning about tenting out but she's never done it in the rain so we'll see where we end up.

Hope the weather isn't as bad as they predict. We will have a great time regardless of what Mother Nature has in store for us all. If Patrick is right about the weather then HE needs to be on TV! Watch out Kevin Mannix!:)

Davidson 7
09-25-2008, 07:44 AM
I completely understand about the weather forecast, but there's something that some of you guys aren't getting--really.... Mapachi hit the nail on the head. When you live on the border you rely on the Canadian weather forecasts. The radars and programs in Maine just don't cover us accurately, we're too far on the fringe. Maine forecasts will never be accurate for us because we're not the large population base that they try to cover for their forecasts. For us down here, the most accurate forecast comes out of Saint John, New Brunswick--45 miles away. Their radar actually includes us. I've never been to Eustis, but I'm willing to bet that the best forecast for that area is not generated out of Portland.

firefighterjake
09-25-2008, 07:50 AM

Oh well maybe next year

Same here :(. . . well actually Heidi and I will most likely be putting in our new engineered wood floor rather than doing housework:) . . . and of course, I don't do events . . . usually.

balinda
09-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Well my son and I are planning on camping in the back of the van if the weather is really bad but we will be there. Should we bring the kayak or will the storm stir up the lake too much to go out?

Team2hunt
09-25-2008, 09:27 AM
***cough*** Pathtag! ***cough***

:D

And call it...." NANCY stayed home " :p

kayaking loon
09-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Well my son and I are planning on camping in the back of the van if the weather is really bad but we will be there. Should we bring the kayak or will the storm stir up the lake too much to go out?

Not much wind forecast, SE, maybe 5 mph. Bring the kayak, someone has to go out and rescue Mapachi if he has to jump in! :eek:

mainesurveyor
09-25-2008, 03:18 PM
This sounds like a great time...bad weather or not. I'd really like to try out the new kayak I just got at the Old Town Canoe fall sale but one of my children has a school function that day. Maybe next year...

kayaking loon
09-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Dubord just ran through, waving his new Garmin Oregon, followed after a bit by Lois-Ann and Becka. My husband tried to go for a walk, came back, saying it was too hot! Sun is shining... so far...

Drop everything and come on up! Maybe next year I'll make this a week long event....

EMSDanel
09-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi folks......I'll be thinking of you all on Saturday. I'd love to be there but I'm giving away a house on Saturday afternoon at 1:30. Have fun!!!

Kaching Karen
09-25-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm still not sure when I will arrive. Either late Friday night or 8:00 on Saturday morning. I will have my bike, kayak, and hiking gear with me. Oh yeah, I might add a GPS (or a few, since I am still trying to return some).

vicbiker
09-25-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm headed to Eustis Friday morning rain or shine. I have two kayaks on board plus my bike and hiking gear. See everyone there.

Mainiac1957
09-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Are you dragging the birthday girl along? Yes Cheryl, Happy Happy!! I did notice.. See you tomorrow night Vic..

fins2right
09-28-2008, 02:54 PM
The rain held off, the colors were fantastic and we broke 200. Thanks for the Event!!

dubord207
09-28-2008, 03:06 PM
What a great spot for an event and caching. Thursday was a bonus day for sure as we came up the back side of Eustis and saw some spectacular foliage. Still having a lot of problems with my neck in spite of a month of PT so we headed home a bit earlier than planned but enjoyed meeting a lot of cachers we hadn't met and it's nice to start seeing familiar faces at these events.

Special thanks to Jean, her husband and everybody else who put this together. Hope:) we get better weather next year as Cathedral Pines really looked inviting!

pjpreb
09-28-2008, 04:12 PM
The rain held off, the colors were fantastic and we broke 200. Thanks for the Event!!

Congrats on the milestone fins2right! Keep on caching! It was great to meet you on the trail and at the event. Your kids are very cute and very polite and well behaved. I think Chip wanted to adopt your son because he was so gentle and friendly. Hope to see you again soon!

vicbiker
09-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Awesome event!!! Everything an event could be. Even the weather co-operated during the daylight hours. Geocaching, biking, kayaking, hiking,four wheel driving, hanging out at the camp fires, eating great food, and best of all being with all of you. Thanks so much to everyone who made this so special. Jean you are the best.

hollora
09-28-2008, 07:02 PM
A super fun weekend even if I was too tired to enjoy the campfire on Saturday night - must have been the yellow Speedo?!?

Yes - a big thanks to Jean and team for a Go To Event - date for 2009 ASAP please - I want to book it!

Kaching Karen
09-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Well, three of us decided to make this into a triathlon weekend. We biked, went by foot (okay guys, it WAS a long walk back to the campground) and we kayaked. Oh yeah, there was 4-wheeling too! What a hoot. This was such a nice set-up too. We had a chance to get out of the rain for meals at the community center and the hosts were the best. There were so many caches in the area that I couldn't even put a dent in the number. I had a blast this weekend.... Thanks!

attroll
09-29-2008, 01:53 AM
I am glad everything worked out weather wise for the event. Wish I could have made it but I had to stay back and troubleshoot and repair the bad network card in the server.

balinda
09-29-2008, 11:13 AM
What a great event. Sam and I loved caching. This is our third event and definitely the best so far. We left some caches undone in the area to do next year. We heard there is a different country nearby with caches in it too. :rolleyes:

PS
I picked up a coin in a ewe cache. It says it is in the hands of "abnah". Was abnah at the event? I'll wait a couple days to see if she has been lost in the beautiful foliage of eustis-stratton.

kayaking loon
09-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Seems everyone had a good time and I had a GREAT time! Packing today to go to Boston tomorrow, daughter has a hospital appointment. Will write more and to some of you privately when I get back, unpacked and have some free time. Thanks so much to everyone who came! See you next year, if not before. :D

PS I miss Amara.....

Team2hunt
09-29-2008, 04:42 PM
This was my favorite event. The variety of caches we could find, in some of the most beautiful places in Maine. You could paddle, hike, 4 wheel through the mud or to the top of a mountain, and as TAT showed us bike to a find as well. The food was delicious and the hall was just like home. Most of the time we hung out in the kitchen, just like home. Thanks to Jean and Stan, Dave and Holly, and the others who helped make this one event that I will be back to annually. I only hope those who didn't come, due to the forecast have learned a valuable lesson.......:rolleyes:. Listen to mapachi when he speaks about the weather in the hills of Western Maine. He was right on the money. You missed out on the best event of 2008.

We had more fun that I could have imagined. And even with the obstacles we had to overcome to complete the challenge, we had a blast. A very special thanks to Team Richards for coming to our rescue with chainsaw in hand. Without your generosity we would not have been able to finish.

I will be back again next year. Site #69.

Mapachi
09-29-2008, 07:52 PM
WOW!.............and I didn't have to jump in the lake!

This was the most fun we've had in a long, long, long time! The last time I had this much fun I think I must have been doing something against the law!

dubord207
09-29-2008, 08:42 PM
I think I have an idea what you mean! I just checked the law books and you're good, and so am I! Let the good times roll!:) Wish I didn't have the neck issue, MRI now in the works to get to the bottom of this. Sounds like we missed the best parts of the even, but we still had a grand time!

WOW!.............and I didn't have to jump in the lake!

This was the most fun we've had in a long, long, long time! The last time I had this much fun I think I must have been doing something against the law!

Team Richards
09-30-2008, 06:58 AM
We had such a great time. We want to thank everyone for coming up. We had so much fun we are already looking ahead to next year.

For folks wondering how much rain came down.
Holly's folks measure the rain at two sites, one in Stratton and one in Eustis. the total rain from Thursday through Sunday at 3:00 was just over an inch. Most of that came after 10pm and stopped by 6am.

I'd be interested in how many miles people traveled. I know we had folks from Quebec, Calis, Massachusetts, Vermont and many other far away places.
I am also courious how many miles were done after you got to the area in your car, boat, boots and bikes.
Looking at my tracks and just estimating, I have 100 miles on the truck, 7 miles in the kayak and 6 miles in my boots just doing caches in the area.

vicbiker
09-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Dave I also had about 100 miles on the truck, but you got me in the kayak as I only had 4 miles in that, close to 20 miles on the bike, 4 miles walking when Tom and I so foolishly decided to walk back to the campsite with Karen from the potluck in the rain. Add to this miles and miles of good times.

hollora
09-30-2008, 12:48 PM
An idea for next year - can we get a big map with NA? We could all put in push pins or little flags with where we are from! If you want to do it - I would gladly start hunting for a map.

We had such a great time. We want to thank everyone for coming up. We had so much fun we are already looking ahead to next year.

For folks wondering how much rain came down.
Holly's folks measure the rain at two sites, one in Stratton and one in Eustis. the total rain from Thursday through Sunday at 3:00 was just over an inch. Most of that came after 10pm and stopped by 6am.

I'd be interested in how many miles people traveled. I know we had folks from Quebec, Calis, Massachusetts, Vermont and many other far away places.
I am also courious how many miles were done after you got to the area in your car, boat, boots and bikes.
Looking at my tracks and just estimating, I have 100 miles on the truck, 7 miles in the kayak and 6 miles in my boots just doing caches in the area.

Kaching Karen
09-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Dave I also had about 100 miles on the truck, but you got me in the kayak as I only had 4 miles in that, close to 20 miles on the bike, 4 miles walking when Tom and I so foolishly decided to walk back to the campsite with Karen from the potluck in the rain. Add to this miles and miles of good times.

What! "Foolishly" Muhahahahaha..... Okay, sometimes my ideas aren't that great, but I still enjoyed it.

Team2hunt
09-30-2008, 06:19 PM
I didn't track everything that we did this weekend. But I did keep the Kennebago 4X4 which was 16.4 miles. And Nikki and I paddled.....(in tandem) 9.8 miles. Some of that was the wrong turn to "My Island" on Sunday. Also not included was the .18 trek through the mud to the cache. Now that's not something you can do just anytime of year.

I can just hear them next spring. "Oh look there are the foundations under the water....and what's that! There are footprints too..!! Must have been the people leaving there homes during the flood". :rolleyes:

Team Richards
09-30-2008, 07:58 PM
An idea for next year - can we get a big map with NA? We could all put in push pins or little flags with where we are from! If you want to do it - I would gladly start hunting for a map.

I think that is a great Idea!

hollora
09-30-2008, 08:25 PM
I think that is a great Idea!

OK - I will be looking for some maps to post. Anyone got pins or flags?

Team Richards
09-30-2008, 09:14 PM
OK - I will be looking for some maps to post. Anyone got pins or flags?

I can get the pins, or maybe everyone make there own team flag....

hollora
09-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Woot - that sounds like a plan - folks make their own little flags to go on pins. I can see it now - cammo hands, green frogs, blue flags, oh, -------the possibilities are endless. Remember friends -these need to go on map pins. NO Speedos allowed!

Hiram357
09-30-2008, 09:54 PM
What! "Foolishly" Muhahahahaha..... Okay, sometimes my ideas aren't that great, but I still enjoyed it.

ya know, I seem to recall a time like that with tom, when he convinced us that if we ran we could beat brad and stef back to the campsite (they were driving) and what looked like about 2miles on the map, turned out to be about 7 to route around boggy areas.... but at least we made good time:D:D:D (tom does have a knack for getting people into those situations...);):p

tat
09-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Wait a minute!! Walking back wasn't my idea! Racing a mountain bike up Kenebago against 5 4x4's; That was my idea!! :)

robt
10-03-2008, 02:11 PM
ya know, I seem to recall a time like that with tom, when he convinced us that if we ran we could beat brad and stef back to the campsite (they were driving) and what looked like about 2miles on the map, turned out to be about 7 to route around boggy areas.... but at least we made good time:D:D:D (tom does have a knack for getting people into those situations...);):p

Glad to see that I am not the only one to take some of Tom's "short custs" :D:D

Kaching Karen
10-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Glad to see that I am not the only one to take some of Tom's "short custs" :D:D

Tom's and my shortcuts can be a bit dicey. He decided that he better take an Wilderness First Aid course after I asked him to pull a stick out of my eye. Hiram.... wasn't that walk back your idea? It was fun... they are always fun and it does make the refreshments better at the end.

ALICIA21
01-20-2009, 05:48 AM
great article. I will bookmark this
This event by me (kayaking loon) and Team Richards is published now. I know it's not until September 27th, but who's coming????:):confused:

great article. I will bookmark this

kayaking loon
02-22-2009, 02:31 PM
I probably should just start a new thread for this but.... The Second Annual Eustis Event will be September 25-26th, 2009. I had told a few people that the group camp sites (that we had last year) wouldn't be available because a group of ATVers had them. But... guess what? They cancelled and took a different weekend. I was playing with the idea of changing the weekend just to get those sites. Those who were here last year can expound upon them. I'll just say there's plenty of room for all of you. Can't beat free camping in an economic downturn! The Community Building will just be ours for the 26th. More on this later, but a lot of people have asked. And if Pat will just go to work on the weather now.....:)

hollora
02-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Great news, KL! Things do always, somehow - always work out. It was a blast last year - have it on the calendar.

dubord207
02-22-2009, 08:39 PM
I started a new thread, Jean. Hope I'm not out of line doing so.;) Already looking forward to returning to your neighborhood!:)

pm28570
02-22-2009, 10:08 PM
It's great to know the dates, makes it a whole lot easier to plan work travel around it.

By the way, last year you mentioned campsites that are out of the way, back in the woods type campsites. Can you share that with me as well?

I probably should just start a new thread for this but.... The Second Annual Eustis Event will be September 25-26th, 2009. I had told a few people that the group camp sites (that we had last year) wouldn't be available because a group of ATVers had them. But... guess what? They cancelled and took a different weekend. I was playing with the idea of changing the weekend just to get those sites. Those who were here last year can expound upon them. I'll just say there's plenty of room for all of you. Can't beat free camping in an economic downturn! The Community Building will just be ours for the 26th. More on this later, but a lot of people have asked. And if Pat will just go to work on the weather now.....:)