View Full Version : Slipping into summer cache 2008 questions

attroll
04-14-2008, 10:42 AM
I need some opinions here. Tink and I are contemplating right now on whether we are going to do our fourth annual Slipping into Summer event this year. Originally we did not think we were going to be able to host it because Tink has been sick and out of work since mid December. However things are looking up. She had surgery on Friday and is recouping very well. We’re hoping she will be 100% again in two weeks. Right now we are not sure if it will be June or July. Our son (Chris) in going into the Marines (bummer) and we are thinking about having family and close friend’s over for a BBQ for him in June. We have not picked that date yet.

We would still like to have the Slipping into Summer event in June but it would probably take too much out of us to have two weekend events at the house in one month. This is why we are thinking about doing it in July instead. We really like the idea of the pig roast because it is very easy to do once all the stuff is here at the house. All you have to do is light the coals and wait (set it and forget it). The only thing that is a pain about it is getting it all organized prior to the event and the cleanup the day after. We like the idea of having people come to an event and not have to worry about brining a dish or anything.

If in July it could possibly be the weekend of the 12th.

Our questions to everyone are.

Would everyone still be interested in attending if it was in July?
Does everyone like the idea of keeping it a pig roast?
If you have other ideas other then a pig roast lets hear them?
If you would not like to see the event let us know this too?

Sudonim
04-14-2008, 10:48 AM
I'd be up for it. Pedalchick and I will be gone the weekends of June 28 and July 5, but most likely would be able to make any other weekends. Do what works for you and the people will come :)

hollora
04-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Family first for sure......my first and only Slipping Into Event was last year - and it was awesome! I would love to attend again. July 12th looks good right now. The pig was great - and I would definitely bring a dish or something to share (just love to cook - that's my thing). Thanks for asking ~ and Sudonim is right ~ do what works for you.

Opalsns
04-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Got to have the event!!!!!! It'll be my first Slippin into summer and I'm looking forward to it. Pig Roasts ROCK !!!!! I would also bring a dish. Anytime or day works for me!!!! I would also love to donate something for fund raising!!!!!!
Feel Better soon Tink !!!
Opalsns and BubbaBass

FuddsGirls
04-14-2008, 01:45 PM
July 12th is good, pig roast is great, at your convenience is awesome. Will definately make a dish.:)

WhereRWe?
04-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Would everyone still be interested in attending if it was in July?
Does everyone like the idea of keeping it a pig roast?

Yes and yes. (Hope Tink is feeling better!)

Mainiac1957
04-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Sorry to hear D hasn't been well. I will make the day work I hope. But then again it isn't about me personally. I'll give you a call later.

tat
04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
I hope Tink is feeling better soon. I don' know if I'll be able to go, but I'd fly half way around the world for more pig! :)

Team2hunt
04-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Tink get well soon......and then have the event when it works for you. We will all come and help out with a dish. And the clean up crew will once again work for food......leftovers. :rolleyes:

I'll bring the filter if someone else can supply the helium.

Team Richards
04-15-2008, 07:39 AM
We would try to make it,we had to miss it last year and we felt bad. Our sons birthday is on that 7/12 weekend but I think that will be Sunday, so we could stop in for a bit on Saturday. As others have said, pick a date that works for you. Hope you feel better "D".

Gob-ler
04-15-2008, 08:07 AM
I have always wanted to attend one of these but could not as the dates in June always were in conflict with other things that had to take priority.

But a July date might just work for me!

I say go for it when it is convenient for you.

Beach Comber
04-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Sorry to hear Donna is not feeling well!!! Get better soon!

Pick a date that works for you two and you are sure to get cachers there. Not fond of the pig, but certainly don't mind it being there if others enjoy it. I am more than happy to make one or more dishes and will help out with set up, etc. Just let me know what you need!

EMSDanel
04-15-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm very appreciative of all the work that goes into these events. If July 12th is good for you then, by all means, we'll do our best to be there. Besides, rumor has it that Hiram is going down the slide topless this year...!

Opalsns
04-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Hiram down the slide Topless, What will the crow... I mean Parrot hold on to????
Now you Have to have the event!!!!!!!

Hiram357
04-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Hiram down the slide Topless, What will the crow... I mean Parrot hold on to????

Ya know... I've been doing my best these last few months to try and not take threads off track... but this comment is really pushing the envelope... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

btw rick, If you post it they will come, if ya need help just ask :D

(and I hope tink is doin better) :D

hollora
04-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Well, my family has told me they come first and I forgot on what day my Granddaughter was born LOL........yup, it was 7/12! Amara will be 1 year old.

So, depending on the family arrangements and parties, I may or may not make it........but, I will send something down for the group - and who knows, I know the campfire usually burns late. Kayaking the next day going to be in? I probably need to find one to borrow again. LOL

Rick - have it and they will come!

Mainiac1957
04-16-2008, 09:18 PM
I think I may have some family thing going on that day as well. Not sure yet.

hollora
04-16-2008, 09:24 PM
I think I may have some family thing going on that day as well. Not sure yet.

Heee, heee - maybe we will be late arrivals for the firepit and entertainment LOL Even if I don't make it I know everyone will have a great time.

Life changes rapidly, as we have read in other threads - and many of us have personally experienced, make the most of today ~ plan and dream for tomorrow ~ but know it is today that matters. Live, love, laugh, give back and enjoy the journey!

al'Thor
04-17-2008, 01:34 AM
If newcomers are welcome I have that weekend off. Would love to meet some of you guys.

attroll
04-17-2008, 02:08 AM
If newcomers are welcome I have that weekend off. Would love to meet some of you guys.
Everyone is always welcome.

hollora
04-17-2008, 08:09 AM

New comers are the best part of events - we regulars would get bored with one another without some new blood. Echo - Rick - everyone is always welcome.

vicbiker
04-17-2008, 08:29 AM
If newcomers are welcome I have that weekend off. Would love to meet some of you guys. Don't know if you can get there from Machias....may have to go somewhere else to start.:D:D

al'Thor
04-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Don't know if you can get there from Machias....may have to go somewhere else to start.:D:D

YOU CAN'T GET ANYWHERE FROM HERE??? I'm not at the end of the earth but I think I can see it.:D:D

team moxiepup
04-17-2008, 07:52 PM
We will definitely make it if we can. It is one of the few events that Moxie can make and play with her geo-pup buddies.
Get well soon Tink :)

Team2hunt
04-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Can I bring a "newbie" through the Good Green Door?

Hiram357
04-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Can I bring a "newbie" through the Good Green Door?

No Gary, but you can bring a "noob" :D:D:D

team teebow
05-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Any updates on if this is happening? Team Teebow is willing and able to help in any way.

PLUS, Tom just got his replacement kayak yesterday so he is raring to go kayaking. (If there is a kayak thing the day after like we did before)

attroll
05-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Yes we are probably going to do something. We will know better in the next week or so. I am heading to VA tomorrow and will be back Monday. It may not be a pig roast this year, we are undecided about the pig. Would love to do a pig roast again but there is a lot of planning and other things that need to be done for this. We also have to put the order in for good weather because we have not done that yet either.

team teebow
05-13-2008, 02:18 PM
I will get on that order for good weather. Let me step outside and talk to Miss Mother Nature for a bit! :D

firefighterjake
05-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Yes we are probably going to do something. We will know better in the next week or so. I am heading to VA tomorrow and will be back Monday. It may not be a pig roast this year, we are undecided about the pig. Would love to do a pig roast again but there is a lot of planning and other things that need to be done for this. We also have to put the order in for good weather because we have not done that yet either.

Well if the pig roast doesn't work out I have some gray squirrels that I would love to get rid of . . . yum . . . gray squirrel roast. ;):D

team teebow
05-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Well if the pig roast doesn't work out I have some gray squirrels that I would love to get rid of . . . yum . . . gray squirrel roast. ;):D

LOL We could add some red squirrels to that also!! Let's see how many do you think we need?

WhereRWe?
05-13-2008, 05:37 PM
LOL We could add some red squirrels to that also!! Let's see how many do you think we need?

Sheesh! We could probably donate a couple of raccoons! :D:D

Haffy
05-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Possums seem to be the rodent of choice down here so I could probably conjure up a few of them for the pot.....:D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/alligator_mouth_small.jpg

team teebow
05-13-2008, 06:31 PM
We could call it the Roadkill Slipping Into Summer Event.

If you have a lobster pot bring it. Heck we could use all of our turkey fryers. This one is for the red squirel, this one for grey, this one racoon, this one opposum. It will alll taste like chicken anyway. :D

al'Thor
05-13-2008, 08:15 PM
The main coarse could be Road Kill Stew

attroll
05-14-2008, 02:02 AM
That means you would have to come to the event Jake.

dubord207
05-14-2008, 05:46 AM
I'm not that crazy about Possums. They're kind of chewy, like Owl!

Possums seem to be the rodent of choice down here so I could probably conjure up a few of them for the pot.....:D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/alligator_mouth_small.jpg

ImKukie
05-14-2008, 07:03 AM
I'm planning on going for 2 reasons:

I've only been to one event - Last years Clean Up in Brewer & I need to meet more cachers because caching with a friend is TONS more fun.

Last year's Tshirt logo was Awesome!!! If you are doing it again, I must have one :-)

firefighterjake
05-14-2008, 07:46 AM
That means you would have to come to the event Jake.

Ah, but you know better . . . I don't do events, remember. :D

team teebow
05-14-2008, 01:31 PM

You really should just TRY an event. They really are fun!!! You could go down the huge slip n slide. What more fun can you get than watching Hiram try to hold his beer upright while sliding down on Dawn? (oh, that sounds so wrong. ;))

Mainiac1957
05-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Now Jake....Some of us DO have a photo or two of you AT an event.;)

You really should just TRY an event. They really are fun!!! You could go down the huge slip n slide. What more fun can you get than watching Hiram try to hold his beer upright while sliding down on Dawn? (oh, that sounds so wrong. ;))

Trust me.... Jake has seen Hiram make a fool of himself at places other than events. And by the way, does Stephanie know about this Dawn person?:D:p;):rolleyes::eek:

Team2hunt
05-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Yes we are probably going to do something. We will know better in the next week or so. It may not be a pig roast this year, we are undecided about the pig.

I for one have loved the pig, but I know others who could do without it. I am willing to bet that most of, if not all, of us would come, irregardless of what the lunch menu has to offer. I enjoy the event, the slip-n-slide, the fire after dark, and just being with friends. Oh the camping and the early morning breakfast, and the kayak on Sunday morning.

Make it easy on yourself this year. Forget the pig roast part and just do a potluck. Everyone knows, cachers know how to cook.

firefighterjake
05-14-2008, 03:58 PM

Uh, I could think of a few things! :)

I actually do go to the Tread Lightly events . . . but Hiram keeps me locked up in my 4Runner so I don't scare any of the small children at the campground. :D

firefighterjake
05-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Now Jake....Some of us DO have a photo or two of you AT an event.;)

Trust me.... Jake has seen Hiram make a fool of himself at places other than events. And by the way, does Stephanie know about this Dawn person?:D:p;):rolleyes::eek:

I heard about that photo though . . . Hiram said I came out all fuzzy looking though . . . and there was a halo around me or something like that.

team teebow
05-14-2008, 04:09 PM
pig or no pig they will come....................Like others are saying make it easy for yah. Just post the event as a potluck and the food will show up.

d’76
05-14-2008, 08:07 PM
I for one have loved the pig, but I know others who could do without it. I am willing to bet that most of, if not all, of us would come, irregardless of what the lunch menu has to offer. I enjoy the event, the slip-n-slide, the fire after dark, and just being with friends. Oh the camping and the early morning breakfast, and the kayak on Sunday morning.

Make it easy on yourself this year. Forget the pig roast part and just do a potluck. Everyone knows, cachers know how to cook.

What do you mean no pig roast. I live for pork.:p

team teebow
05-15-2008, 11:56 AM
What do you mean no pig roast. I live for pork.:p

Then bring yourself some SPAM.:D:eek:

hollora
05-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Spam and macaroni salad is always good!

team teebow
05-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Spam and macaroni salad is always good!

You are making me hungry. :p

How about if we tell Rik to make it a Spamapalooza. :D

WhereRWe?
05-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Then bring yourself some SPAM.:D:eek:

Sheesh! Why am I thinking of Monty Python?? ;);)

Team2hunt
05-15-2008, 07:26 PM

This is the only state where Spam is shipped in a 40LB tin?

team teebow
05-15-2008, 08:09 PM
This is the only state where Spam is shipped in a 40LB tin?

We could place that sucker on the pig cooker thingy. I wasn't about to try to spell rottisiere????

team teebow
05-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Let's have a SPAM cook off. Who can make the yummiest dish using SPAM.

hollora
05-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Woot - I am in on that!!

Kaching Karen
05-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I hope you have this event! It is a very special one for me. Four years ago I knew no one that cached. Haffy invited me, through geocaching.com to join geocachingmaine.com. Some people, on this site, told me my coordinates for a cache were off and we made arrangements to meet in Augusta, at the cache, to fix them. I met them at the cache and we got the right coordinates. They asked me if I wanted to go to an event that day. I followed them and it was the "Slipping into Summer" event. What a blast I had that day and I have remained friends with those people since then....
Mainiac1957, Dave1976, Girlmate, BeachComber, were at the cache to set me straight. Others joined to find more Augusta caches. At the event I met ATroll (a fellow hiker) and Tink, Haffy, TAT (a "forever" friend) and Team2hunt (okay, I didn't remember meeting you at the event) and so many others.
If you are shy about going to an event, don't be. I am not a "crowd" person, but I found there will be someone there to welcome you and make you feel at home.
These people and everyone I have met since are the best!

attroll
05-20-2008, 01:34 PM

Tom did I hear you volenteer?

I hope you have this event! It is a very special one for me. Four years ago I knew no one that cached. Haffy invited me, through geocaching.com to join geocachingmaine.com. Some people, on this site, told me my coordinates for a cache were off and we made arrangements to meet in Augusta, at the cache, to fix them. I met them at the cache and we got the right coordinates. They asked me if I wanted to go to an event that day. I followed them and it was the "Slipping into Summer" event. What a blast I had that day and I have remained friends with those people since then....
Mainiac1957, Dave1976, Girlmate, BeachComber, were at the cache to set me straight. Others joined to find more Augusta caches. At the event I met ATroll (a fellow hiker) and Tink, Haffy, TAT (a "forever" friend) and Team2hunt (okay, I didn't remember meeting you at the event) and so many others.
If you are shy about going to an event, don't be. I am not a "crowd" person, but I found there will be someone there to welcome you and make you feel at home.
These people and everyone I have met since are the best!
Karen, we are pretty sure we are going to have the event. You might as well mark your calendars. The pig may be out this year. We just have to much going on to have a pig, but I think Hiram will be here so I guess we will have a pig. Maybe fireworks instead for those that stay the night.

team teebow
05-20-2008, 04:43 PM
[quote=attroll;42583]Tom did I hear you volenteer?

quote]

Rik - it has been me, Cheryl, posting about the SPAM. :p

WhereRWe?
05-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Sheesh! How can you have a pig roast without a pig??? Rick - if you need a donation to help with the pig, count on me! (Pork fat RULES!) :D:D

team teebow
05-20-2008, 07:05 PM
If it is time that you are short on, let us know. Tom and I live close and we are willing to help roast that pig. Should we be looking for a pig?

It is your event and you do what you want and what is easiest for you. No pressure................................:D

Hiram357
05-20-2008, 09:25 PM

hey now, remember last year I upped the ante by going down backwards, while drinking the beer... :D:rolleyes::p

Hiram357
05-20-2008, 09:26 PM
The pig may be out this year. We just have to much going on to have a pig, but I think Hiram will be here so I guess we will have a pig. Maybe fireworks instead for those that stay the night.

is that an insult or are you passing on the pig responsability to me???? :confused:

FuddsGirls
05-20-2008, 09:43 PM
is that an insult or are you passing on the pig responsability to me???? :confused:
Can a pig cook itself? I think he was talking to Steph about cooking:D

Kaching Karen
05-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Is the date July 12th?

attroll
05-21-2008, 12:36 AM
Sheesh! How can you have a pig roast without a pig??? Rick - if you need a donation to help with the pig, count on me! (Pork fat RULES!) :D:D
We would really love to have a pig to roast this year. To be quite honest the pig and the cooker cost over $300. At this time we are shy that amount because Tink has been out of work for the last 6 months for medical problems. She has recuperated now but we need to build up our funds again before we can do something like this again. Unless we can come up with at least $300 then it looks like we will be looking at other options.

Is the date July 12th?
Yes Karen the date will be 12 July this year.

Team2hunt
05-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Did someone say fireworks? :) What about the helium?

WhereRWe?
05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
We would really love to have a pig to roast this year. To be quite honest the pig and the cooker cost over $300. At this time we are shy that amount because Tink has been out of work for the last 6 months for medical problems. She has recuperated now but we need to build up our funds again before we can do something like this again. Unless we can come up with at least $300 then it looks like we will be looking at other options.

I love a pig roast, and I see no reason why the event sponsor should bear the cost of such a big production. How about taking a poll... See if people would be willing to pay to attend - say $10 per adult couple, and $5 for kids?

We'll definitely get our money's worth. :D:D

FuddsGirls
05-21-2008, 07:20 PM
I think a fee for all that we get is reasonable, unfortunately we need to go to Danforth and back on July 12th to pick our 12 yo up from camp. I am so bummed. Maybe I can swing late in the evening:(

Cache Maine
05-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Unfortunately, the idea of having a fee is a deterrant for some cachers....some plain can't afford it, especially with the gas prices, and others contribute in other ways. I think this is a great event and encourage Rick to do it again. He has already stated that money is an issue, so if any of you are in a position to help with that, email him for his address and send him a check. Just do it.

attroll
05-22-2008, 12:22 AM
I love a pig roast, and I see no reason why the event sponsor should bear the cost of such a big production. How about taking a poll... See if people would be willing to pay to attend - say $10 per adult couple, and $5 for kids?

We'll definitely get our money's worth. :D:D
I will never charge a fee for attending any of our events. I am totally against that. I do not think that there should be a fee to attend any event. That is just my opinion though.

As Cache Maine said it would detour people from attending the event and I am all about promoting geocaching not turning people away. That was the whole reason for having the pig roast for the last two years. It was about promoting geocaching and trying to get more people involved. O and also to get all out geocaching friends together.

WhereRWe?
05-22-2008, 07:47 AM
I will never charge a fee for attending any of our events. I am totally against that. I do not think that there should be a fee to attend any event. That is just my opinion though.

Fee? What fee? I was talking about a "suggested donation". LOL!

(Well, it was a suggestion...)

Opalsns
05-22-2008, 09:30 AM
How about a pot luck contest like Hollora and Cache Maine did at there event. Not to be a copy cat but under the circomstances, it might be a good idea. There are alot of cooking cachers out ther and if someone wanted to the could cook a pig or a chicken or Hiram !
Opalsns

attroll
05-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Tink and I will start working up some ideas this weekend and come up with something. The slip and slide may have to be an option we do with out also. We wanted to put some top soil down over the line that goes to our septic tank. We have put off putting down any top soil for the last two years because of the event. We'll talk it over this weekend and post something next week.

hollora
05-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Your event, your place and I am sure whatever you and Tink come up with will be fine and fun. Sure wished I could camp over but another time. Design it and they will participate. You've been enough places to know.......woo, hoo!