View Full Version : Importing waypoints from GSAK to the Earthmate PN-20

attroll
04-20-2008, 02:13 PM
I was lucky enough to obtain a Earthmate PN-20 yesterday. Waite let me rephrase that. My wife obtained a PN-20 yesterday.

After playing with it for a long time (I still am) I found that at this time you can not use it with GSAK. I found a way to get around this until Clyde from GSAK incorporates this into GSAK.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=pn20-gsak

team teebow
04-20-2008, 07:46 PM
I'll let you use my Topo 7.0 that I won at the CITO....OH, I mean Cheryl won, if you let me use the PN-20 you won...OH, I mean that Donna won.:p:p

robt
04-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Rick,

export your caches from GSAK in a gpx file then import them to into topo 7 then you should be able to send them to your GPS from there. It is a pain but it does work. Let me know if you updated the firmware to 1.4 and if it did. I either got a bum unit or the update did not work. They did replkace it with out a problem. Let me know if I can try to help.

RobT

attroll
04-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Rick,
Let me know if you updated the firmware to 1.4 and if it did. I either got a bum unit or the update did not work. They did replkace it with out a problem. Let me know if I can try to help.

RobT
My firmware is at 1.3 right now. I think I had a problem updating it but am not sure if I did it right. What did you do to update it. I ma going to go and try it again right now.

attroll
04-20-2008, 11:50 PM
The firmware did not update during the install when I installed the drivers on the computer or when I installed Topo 7. When I downloaded the firmware from there web site and ran it then it worked without a problem. The firmware took a while to update though, it had me worried for a while.

Gob-ler
04-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Hey Rick I got a really nice DeLorme Hat that I got at the event that I will trade with you.

By the way, is your wife charging you a rental fee for the use of that new GPS? Your one lucky guy!

attroll
04-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Hey Rick I got a really nice DeLorme Hat that I got at the event that I will trade with you.

By the way, is your wife charging you a rental fee for the use of that new GPS? Your one lucky guy!
No she is not charging me rental fees (yet) but since we got this PN-20 she has actually held it in her had and started using it a little. Although we all know Tink. Get her in the right direction and she does not need a GPS.

robt
04-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Rick,

Have you loaded waypoints on it since you updated the firmware? It may have just been an issue with the unit. I have not updated it again out of fear of having issues. Otherwise it is working well for me. Trying to figure out the differances now. the first thing that I found that I did not like I found that was acctually a plus, the fact that it does not auto recalculate the route. That is definatly a plus now. I was hoping to go caching with it tonight but ended up having to work late. hope that I can go tommorrow and see how it works. I have a few caches around work that I need to find.

hollora
04-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Just a thought - sounds like there are members who have this unit and this should be a thread in general for the PN-20....I know parmachenee has one and has worked with DeLorme on some trouble shooting. becket, I believe, has one - she had one in her hand at our 2008 Maine Pirate Quest (and we didn't have one as a prize but I am working on that for next year LOL)......and there may be others.

It might be fun for you all to have s single thread for general PN-20 questions, user tips, etc. It would be great for those using, DeLorme if they are looking and those thinking about purchasing. Everything in one place. Just a slight (maybe) adjustment to the thread title. For example - maybe "PN-20 Discussion".

Good luck all. My old technology is still hanging in there ~ so although off with others ~ I will still use my old GPSr and just adjust accordingly.

attroll
04-22-2008, 02:01 AM
Good idea Hollora.

I am not having issues with the PN-20. I love it, the problem is with GSAK. At this time it is not supported 100% by GSAK. I was just posting a temporary fix I found for it until GSAK comes out with a new release that supports it 100%.

robt
04-22-2008, 07:14 AM
That is a good idea, in fact I would sugest going one step further and say we should have a tech section that has each of the major groups and discusions on how to work with them and tech trouble shooting.

As for mine, I did update the new firmware and it is working good so it must have been a bad unit that I had.

Rick,

Let me know if you need help with the docs on the transfer. I have had good luck with customizing this.