View Full Version : WhereRWe? & RULOST2?'s Travelogue

WhereRWe?
04-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Sheesh! Europe! The ultimate caching trip! After arriving yesterday after an exhausting 17 hour trip (Bangor, Philadelphia, Madrid, Jerez), we spent our first full day in Rota, Spain today. And after our first day, we realize that this is going to be one EXPENSIVE trip! Everything is to expensive - $5 for a 1/2 liter Coke at the Madrid airport - and after the US $ has taken a really beating in Europe, we're going to be spending a lot more than we projected. And 45 Euros last night - about $70 - for a dinner that would probably have cost us $25 in the US Sheesh! Glad we have plenty of space on the credit cards!

Rented a car for the 3 weeks we'll be here - $1,000 for that. But we're going to do our first day of caching tomorrow, getting used to a standard shift after 25 years and getting used to a car that's about 1/4 the size of the Geocache Explorer. We're making a practice run south, towards Gibraltar, with the idea of actually going to Gibraltar on Thursday. Lots of caches in that area, and we should be able to get some monkey photos for Jake.

Note to PJPreb: We haven't made contact with your friends in Portugal yet, but we expect to go there next week, so I'll be contacting them soon. We did exchange emails a month or so ago.

More later... :D:D

firefighterjake
04-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Sheesh! Europe! The ultimate caching trip! After arriving yesterday after an exhausting 17 hour trip (Bangor, Philadelphia, Madrid, Jerez), we spent our first full day in Rota, Spain today. And after our first day, we realize that this is going to be one EXPENSIVE trip! Everything is to expensive - $5 for a 1/2 liter Coke at the Madrid airport - and after the US $ has taken a really beating in Europe, we're going to be spending a lot more than we projected. And 45 Euros last night - about $70 - for a dinner that would probably have cost us $25 in the US Sheesh! Glad we have plenty of space on the credit cards!

Rented a car for the 3 weeks we'll be here - $1,000 for that. But we're going to do our first day of caching tomorrow, getting used to a standard shift after 25 years and getting used to a car that's about 1/4 the size of the Geocache Explorer. We're making a practice run south, towards Gibraltar, with the idea of actually going to Gibraltar on Thursday. Lots of caches in that area, and we should be able to get some monkey photos for Jake.

Note to PJPreb: We haven't made contact with your friends in Portugal yet, but we expect to go there next week, so I'll be contacting them soon. We did exchange emails a month or so ago.

More later... :D:D

Yeah . . . caches for Whererwe and monkey photos for Jake! :D;)

Have fun Bruce . . . and stay safe.

Looking forward to hearing of your travels and your stories while abroad.

Haffy
04-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Have fun you old curmudgeon you!!!!! ;) Not you Teresa....That raggedy old guy you married......lol ;):D

Sudonim
04-24-2008, 04:15 AM
I hear you Bruce. I'm in Crete right now, and eating most of my meals on the AF base, but when we get off base, stuff is expensive. We are able to borrow a van (usually) to go places and don't have to buy gas off base, but it's running about 1.25euro per LITER here, or (using my back of the envelope calculations) about $6-8/gallon. Gas in Maine looks pretty good right now...
I've been here for a week and still haven't gotten a cache. When I go off base, it's usually with 5-7 others, only 1 of which is a cacher, and there's no such thing as gas savers here. The closest cache is at a monestary in the mountains north of here, 1.5 to 2 hour hike. I'm trying to get into town tonight to get the 2 caches there, but it depends on the vehicle situation.
Have fun, I've been past the rock of Gibralter, really worth the visit if you can get there.

WhereRWe?
04-24-2008, 12:14 PM
I hear you Bruce. I'm in Crete right now, and eating most of my meals on the AF base, but when we get off base, stuff is expensive. We are able to borrow a van (usually) to go places and don't have to buy gas off base, but it's running about 1.25euro per LITER here, or (using my back of the envelope calculations) about $6-8/gallon. Gas in Maine looks pretty good right now...

Sheesh! I had to fill the car today! Nine gallons (I already said it was a SMALL car!) cost me $61. About $6.80 a gallon.

I've been here for a week and still haven't gotten a cache. When I go off base, it's usually with 5-7 others, only 1 of which is a cacher, and there's no such thing as gas savers here. The closest cache is at a monestary in the mountains north of here, 1.5 to 2 hour hike. I'm trying to get into town tonight to get the 2 caches there, but it depends on the vehicle situation.

We managed to get 2 caches today, and a DNF on another. (Difficulty was listed as a 2, but I would rate it a 4. We were 25 feet from it and decided to back off. Climbing cliffs on the beach is for younger people...

Have fun, I've been past the rock of Gibralter, really worth the visit if you can get there.

We planned on going there today, but we took the scenic routes and didn't get that far. Next time we'll take the autoroute direct. (Actually, since I forgot the digital camera, and the battery died on RULOST2?'s film camera, we wouldn't have been able to get any pictures of the monkeys anyway!)

Hey! Probably a lot of your flights go through Rota. If you find out you're stopping here, email me and we'll get together for a beer (or some of the DELICIOUS local wine!) We saw a lady in a supermarket yesterday buying 10 1-liter boxes of wine (looked like the kind of box you'd get chicken broth in! LOL!). We saw it today, and decided to try it. Can't go wrong at 2 Euros a liter!

Anyway, so far in Spain we've seen McDonalds, Burger King, Subway, Baskin Robbins, and KFC. Diet Coke is called Coke Light, and it's terrible!

pjpreb
04-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Looking forward to hearing about your adventures :) Thank you so much for letting our sig item hop a ride to Portugal. This is so cool! :)

Sudonim
04-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey! Probably a lot of your flights go through Rota. If you find out you're stopping here, email me and we'll get together for a beer (or some of the DELICIOUS local wine!)

Not us. We go non-stop from Bangor to Chania. If they need crew rest, England is our stop.
(I haven't enjoyed the local wine in Spain, but the Sangria is deadly (every night it's deadly:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

Hiram357
04-24-2008, 04:09 PM
I expect a full beer report with pictures of samples when ya get back!! :D;):rolleyes: (I mispelled, I meant pitchers! pictures are boring...) :)

EMSDanel
04-24-2008, 08:06 PM
This is such cool stuff reading your travel reports...! Andy in Crete, and you in Spain. Please keep these coming....I'll be watching to see what finding a cache in other parts of the world is really like. I'm envious.....

WhereRWe?
04-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Not us. We go non-stop from Bangor to Chania. If they need crew rest, England is our stop.
(I haven't enjoyed the local wine in Spain, but the Sangria is deadly (every night it's deadly:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

They make a LOT of wine in this area - vineyards and bodegas everywhere. And it's cheap, and tasty as well!

WhereRWe?
04-25-2008, 11:09 AM
This is such cool stuff reading your travel reports...! Andy in Crete, and you in Spain. Please keep these coming....I'll be watching to see what finding a cache in other parts of the world is really like. I'm envious.....

One thing about caches in Spain - there are NO "urban micros"! LOL! All the caches we've looked at so far have been the "old style" - moderate hike to a decent view with a container you can put something in. Of the 2 caches we've hit so far, we got rid of 4 TBs/coins. LOL!

Oh, and if you've never experienced "siesta", it's a trip! EVERYTHING closes between 2 and 5 PM. (Well, we did find an ice cream stand open this afternoon... ;);)

I found a park today with trees loaded with HUGE tangerines. I managed to get one don and tried it - NASTY TASTE! Guess that must be way the trees were loaded with tangerines! :o:o

Sudonim
04-25-2008, 01:03 PM
One thing about caches in Spain - there are NO "urban micros"! LOL! All the caches we've looked at so far have been the "old style" - moderate hike to a decent view with a container you can put something in. Of the 2 caches we've hit so far, we got rid of 4 TBs/coins. LOL!

Same in Crete. I'm just outside the city of Chania. Two of us took a van yesterday thinking we'd get a quick cache on top of a hill outside the city. Took 2 full hours of backtracking to find a road that went all the way up. The roads are so narrow, they look the same as driveways. Once we found the right spot, the cache was easy. I can't post pics right now, but others have posted pics of the cache (GC13MXW).

WhereRWe?
04-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Well, the weather in Spain (http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/08451.html) isn't going to be as good this week.

They're predicting scattered clouds on Monday, and on Wednesday, the high is only going to be 68.

:D:D:D

EMSDanel
04-27-2008, 11:24 PM
So.......does the rain in Spain fall mainly on the plain?

WhereRWe?
04-28-2008, 02:06 AM
So.......does the rain in Spain fall mainly on the plain?

Rain? What rain? :D:D

Today is a caching day. It's only 1 1/2 hours to the border with Portugal, and there is a BIG group of caches just across the border, so we're heading northwest. Since the creation of the EU, crossing a border is a lot like crossing into New Hampshire. Even easier, since you don't have to worry about the Maine State police stopping you and checking for untaxed items. :o:o

Sudonim
04-28-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm going to Athens in the morning, supposed to be nice and sunny for the next couple of days. A co-worker and I are flying out in the morning, hitting Athens for 2 days and taking the ferry back to Crete (9 hours vs 50 minutes flying, but much cheaper). Plenty of caches in Athens, but I have a non-cacher with me and want to see the sights too, so some juggling of priorities here...

WhereRWe?
04-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Well, we didn't make Portugal today. My son said it only took him 2 hours. After 3 hours, we were halfway there. Hmmm... We had to be back by 5:00, so we're saving Portugal for our planned 3-day trip next week.

We did log 2 caches in Seville today and dropped off 3 more of the TB's we brought. Hit our first micro, but it was a nice location. We're going to explore Cadiz tomorrow, and make reservations for Morocco for the weekend. We've scaled back our plans (no 5-day trip to Casablanca), and are just going to make a 3-day trip to Tangier.

Hey, Hiram! The beer here is CHEAP - and pretty good, too. CruzCampo is the local Spanish brand.

WhereRWe?
04-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Posting a picture of RULOST2? and me at the feria (fair) at el Puerto de la Santa Maria. Love the girls in those traditional dresses!

WhereRWe?
04-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Should also have posted a picture of our host, checking out the senoritas...

And one of what he was checking out...

WhereRWe?
04-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Well, we made it to Gibraltar today. Sheesh! That rock is hard to get to! VERY steep roads to the top, no parking, tourists everywhere...

But we managed to log a cache in Gibraltar! (And dropped a couple of geocoins, as well). We did see a couple of monkeys, but the parking was such a terrible issue that we didn't get a chance to stop at the best places to see them. the famous Barbary Apes are a fixture in Gibraltar, and legend says that Grbraltar will remain British as long as the Barbary Apes remain.

I've attached a couple of pictures for Jake. :p:p

And a picture of RULOST2? looking across the Straits of Gibraltar towards Morocco.

firefighterjake
04-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Well, we made it to Gibraltar today. Sheesh! That rock is hard to get to! VERY steep roads to the top, no parking, tourists everywhere...

But we managed to log a cache in Gibraltar! (And dropped a couple of geocoins, as well). We did see a couple of monkeys, but the parking was such a terrible issue that we didn't get a chance to stop at the best places to see them. the famous Barbary Apes are a fixture in Gibraltar, and legend says that Grbraltar will remain British as long as the Barbary Apes remain.

I've attached a couple of pictures for Jake. :p:p

And a picture of RULOST2? looking across the Straits of Gibraltar towards Morocco.

Thanks for the monkey pics.

WhereRWe?
04-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the monkey pics.

What??? You didn't like the picture of RULOST2? as well? LOL!

firefighterjake
04-30-2008, 03:38 PM
What??? You didn't like the picture of RULOST2? as well? LOL!

Well to be honest I clicked on that photo and thought it odd to see a monkey wearing sunglasses . . . figured it was a bit odd for a monkey. ;):D

firefighterjake
04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar_Barbary_Macaques

My curiousity was peaked so I looked up some information about the Barbary apes . . . pretty neat stuff . . . and they seem prety darn cute. Interesting note about Churchill importing additional monkeys during WW II when the population dwindled down to seven.

WhereRWe?
05-01-2008, 01:55 AM
Well to be honest I clicked on that photo and thought it odd to see a monkey wearing sunglasses . . . figured it was a bit odd for a monkey. ;):D

Sheesh, Jake! I'm glad RULOST2? doesn't read the forums! LOL!

WhereRWe?
05-01-2008, 02:42 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar_Barbary_Macaques

My curiousity was peaked so I looked up some information about the Barbary apes . . . pretty neat stuff . . . and they seem prety darn cute. Interesting note about Churchill importing additional monkeys during WW II when the population dwindled down to seven.

They are VERY cute, especially the little one I took a picture of. Too bad there was no place to park so I could get out and observe them more.

brdad
05-01-2008, 07:09 AM
All this monkey talk I've been waiting for someone to ask about a picture of the big ape. :D

Glad you're having a good trip, Bruce. We are back and had a good time on ours.

firefighterjake
05-01-2008, 08:04 AM
All this monkey talk I've been waiting for someone to ask about a picture of the big ape. :D

Glad you're having a good trip, Bruce. We are back and had a good time on ours.

I think we already saw a pic of that one already haven't we? ;):D

Sudonim
05-02-2008, 04:48 AM
We got back from Athens yesterday. I think I inducted a new cacher, after 5 or 6 finds, he's hooked, asking about GPS recommendations :)
The history in Athens is increadible. Some of the things we were viewing were 40 centuries old! Took many pictures and did a little caching too. I'll have some pics after I get home.

WhereRWe?
05-05-2008, 03:34 AM
Sheesh Just got back from a weekend in Tangier, Morocco! The souk, the casbah, the beautiful girls covered from head to foot... LOL!

Big disappointment in caching, though. We had to log a DNF for the only cache in the area. (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9957947e-93a5-4836-a9d0-729c42ce11ef) Established in February, the only other log was a DNF in April. So much for adding another country and another continent to our caching list!

But it also might turn out to be an EXPENSIVE caching trip. The local currency is the Moroccan dirham. You cannot import or export the dirham to or from Morocco. I tried to convert my remaining currency before leaving the hotel, but was told, "no, there are 3 banks at the ferry terminal that are open all day". So we got off the tour bus, followed the crowd (mostly Spaniards, who I expected would also have to convert money), and went through passport control expecting to find 3 banks in the waiting area. Wrong assumption. So I now have $80 worth of Moroccan Dirhams that I can't get rid of. Sheesh!

Reminder to all: when you take the weekend "all included" tour, don't elect the cheapest hotel. You get what you pay for! LOL!

I'll probably say more about Morocco later...

brdad
05-05-2008, 06:07 AM
What? Don't you know you can just replace the 'missing' cache with a film can and log sheet where you think the cache should have been and log it as a find????????? :rolleyes:

Looking at the pic, that's a pretty small cache, and attractive enough for some kid to take it home with them if they spotted it.

You can always sell the Dirhams on ebay and recoup some of your money.

Mainiac1957
05-05-2008, 06:32 AM
What? Don't you know you can just replace the 'missing' cache with a film can and log sheet where you think the cache should have been and log it as a find????????? :rolleyes:

That reference may be lost on some of the newer members. Or maybe all of the newer members.:rolleyes:

brdad
05-05-2008, 11:10 AM
That reference may be lost on some of the newer members. Or maybe all of the newer members.:rolleyes:

Well, they are welcome to join newbie chat tonight and ask for clarification. :D

WhereRWe?
05-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Well, they are welcome to join newbie chat tonight and ask for clarification. :D

Sheesh! I didn't understand it either but 8:00 PM tonight for you guys is 2:00 AM tomorrow for me! LOL!

That's OK - I've just finished making reservations for our 3-day trip to Portugal, and have been corresponding with PJPreb's friends who have been very helpful in suggesting hotels. We expect to meet with them on Thursday.

But here are a couple of pictures from Tangier:

1. RULOST2? on the waterfront in front of the hotel.
2. RULOST2? and our guide (the tour guide spoke very little English, s she called another guide who did. We had our own personal tour guide!)
3. RULOST2? and baby camel.

WhereRWe?
05-10-2008, 03:15 AM
Just back from our 3-day trip to Portugal, where we visited the southern coastal Algarve region, and then the capitol, Lisbon. In Lisbon, we met up with Hugo, a well known Portugese cacher and cyber friend of Maine cachers Pjpreb. When they heard that we planned a trip to Portugal, Pjpreb had asked us to take one of their signature items to Hugo. Mission accomplished! What was also interesting was that Hugo mentioned Brdad, as he had corresponded with him several times on caching subjects. Hugo has visited the US before, and may visit again this summer. We hope we persuaded him to visit Maine. (We never though to get a picture of us with Hugo!)

But caching in Portugal is like caching in the US "used to be" - no lightpost or guardrail caches, and the scenery is GREAT! I'm including a couple of pictures at cache locations:

1. At the Beja Castle cache. (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2907c9b6-881d-4cf5-993e-c3654ac8db66)
2. Aqueduct cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4df50d6f-809d-4217-a675-63c91df8382e) in Lisbon.

(The cache descriptions are in English and are very interesting.)

Now back in Spain, with 2 days left on our vacation, we wonder where the time went. Upon arrival, we wondered what we'd do for 3 weeks. Now, we wish we had 3 weeks more. Sheesh!

brdad
05-10-2008, 07:22 AM
(We never though to get a picture of us with Hugo!)

Well, fortunately for you, our hidden cameras caught Hugo when you weren't looking. I can't quite tell if he's trying to get a kiss from you or your wife, however. :D

http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/hugo.jpg

WhereRWe?
05-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Well, all good things must come to an end. We're approaching the last evening of our trip, and early tomorrow morning will be making a LONG 18 hour trip back to Bangor.

We've had a great time. If I can convey anything to those who have read our travelogue, it is to GET OUT AND TRAVEL! I've been to the 4 corners of our country, from Maine to Hawaii, and from Miami to Seattle. And we've visited almost every country in western Europe, half the provinces in Canada, and Mexico as well.

Don't be afraid of foreign languages or foods you can't identify. Pointing and holding up fingers is a universal language. And if the food doesn't look weird, it probably isn't.

Sheesh! Get out and enjoy it! :D:D

Mainiac1957
05-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Pointing and holding up fingers is a universal language.

Just be careful who you point at.:D:p:rolleyes: And be extra careful which finger you hold up.:eek:

WhereRWe?
05-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Just be careful who you point at.:D:p:rolleyes: And be extra careful which finger you hold up.:eek:

You're right - it IS a universal language! LOL!

firefighterjake
05-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the Travelogue Bruce . . . enjoyed reading about them . . . and you even thought enough to include some pics of monkeys! :D