View Full Version : Picture frame history

d’76
04-27-2008, 07:39 PM
I have only seen one other of these picture frames and that was at the Patten Lumbermans museam and they had very limited info on it. I know this one was hand craved in 1918 by a friend of mines grandfather. It is made of hundreds of small handcraved peices of wood. If anyone has any info one them it would be awesome. I have one now and want to know as much as I can about it. It is absolutley fasinating to look at. Here are the pic. If any of the history buffs have any info I would love to hear it. Thanks

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/dave19761/gcmaine1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/dave19761/gcmaine2.jpg

vicbiker
04-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Dave from the picture this looks to be what is commonly know as "Tramp Art". This was done mostly by "hobo's" who rode the rails as a way to make some extra money. It is very popular and can be as simple as small boxes to elaborate pieces. How big is your frame?

d’76
04-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Dave from the picture this looks to be what is commonly know as "Tramp Art". This was done mostly by "hobo's" who rode the rails as a way to make some extra money. It is very popular and can be as simple as small boxes to elaborate pieces. How big is your frame?

I think its about 18 by 24 inch

vicbiker
04-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Wow Big frame. The one you saw at the museum was probably made by some logger who was living in a logging camp. Sailors, loggers, hobos all made this kind of art work. A lot of it was made from cigar boxes, old packing crates, etc. Some of it was gifts for the little woman. Maybe you could built something nice for Connie.:rolleyes:

vicbiker
04-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Danny Cross lives in Milford. He's a friend of mine and has done antiques for years. He would know for sure.

hollora
04-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Vic is probably right. Looks like a tramp art frame to me. In good condition, with the right buyer - these can sell for good money. An antique print or old map would look real sharp in that frame.

Team Richards
04-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Hey Dave here is a link to one similar to yours on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-HAND-MADE-TRAMP-ART-FRAME-CROWN-OF-THORNS-LARGE_W0QQitemZ360045668700QQihZ023QQcategoryZ1217 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Team Richards
04-28-2008, 07:07 PM
More info from tramp art web site
http://www.folkartisans.com/sup/tramhist.html
Another type of tramp art that was sometimes produced, but was not quite as popular as the traditional layering and chip carving, is oftentimes referred to as the "crown of thorns." It was made in a layered manner and was also constructed with cigar-box wood. In this style, the piece of wood was notched together in an interlocking and overlapping fashion the way a log cabin is built. As the pieces were interlocked, they were also layered and built up like vertebrae to form a star effect. Tramp art became a very popular art form because it allowed the tramp artisan to use the materials he had at hand to produce a great variety of things. Picture frames, gift and jewelry boxes, and full-size chests of drawers were created not only to fill his empty hours but so that they could be used as a gift for a friend, a barter for food or lodging, or an exchange for money. The tramp was likely to produce articles of a functional and practical nature, while the hobo whittled objects of art that were more whimsical

Team Richards
04-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Here's a web site on how to make it
Very cool
http://www.tramp-art.com/crown_of_thorns_crafts.htm

d’76
04-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Wow, Thanks guys. Thats great info. The one I have needs a bit of works. It looks like it may have been dropped at one time but I think I can repair it with no problem. The info you guys gave me has been very helpful. Thanks so much

Team2hunt
04-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Wow, Thanks guys. Thats great info. The one I have needs a bit of works. It looks like it may have been dropped at one time but I think I can repair it with no problem. The info you guys gave me has been very helpful. Thanks so much

It may have been dropped and you might want to fix it. But sometimes, even damaged, they are worth more than one that has been repaired many years later.

Hiram357
04-28-2008, 08:27 PM
It may have been dropped and you might want to fix it. But sometimes, even damaged, they are worth more than one that has been repaired many years later.

I've been tryin to explain that to stef... I was dropped on my head (numerous times) as a baby, and I think I'm worth tons more!!!

and on an on-topic note dave, if you like that peice of work, you'd love the peice hanging up in the masonic hall in waterville, its about 10' x 5' and its a huge mass of chains with an emblem in the middle, and it was all carved from one peice of wood. :D

I decided to get crafty one camping trip and whittle my own chain... i got about 2 links (and 5 beers...) and said forget it! it made great kindling! that kinda stuff is pretty impressive just thinking about it!