View Full Version : Problems w/My Garmin VISTA Cx

EvilHomer
04-29-2008, 01:27 PM
There are times when I try to ZOOM in on a map on the unit and it makes the unit shut off. Has anyone else seen this before? Sometimes I try to access the FIND function and it will do this too. It only does this when I have the GPS on batteries, not when its plugged into the 12v port in the truck. I have changed batteries and it helped for a while. The battery indicator tells me its at full strength. Is there something seriously wrong with my Vista?

attroll
04-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Are the batteries low on charge?

dí76
04-29-2008, 02:52 PM
I had the similar problem with my 60c and I took the batteries out and snugged up the contacts where they touched the batteries. that solved my problem. Good Luck

Mapachi
04-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Spit on em!

firefighterjake
05-01-2008, 08:00 AM
I've always found that Garmins work best after you leave them in the snow for a few weeks, throw them in a nearby river and drop them on to the tar a few times. ;):D

dubord207
05-01-2008, 04:21 PM
We all knew that one was coming. Did you help the Captain of the cruise ship find his way around with your Magellan? Pretty sure the Exxon Valdeez was using a Magellan!

I've always found that Garmins work best after you leave them in the snow for a few weeks, throw them in a nearby river and drop them on to the tar a few times. ;):D

firefighterjake
05-02-2008, 11:29 AM
We all knew that one was coming. Did you help the Captain of the cruise ship find his way around with your Magellan? Pretty sure the Exxon Valdeez was using a Magellan!

:) :) :) Nope . . . For some reason he never asked for my help.

EvilHomer
05-12-2008, 11:40 AM
I will check the contacts again. One got broken and I had to replace it with tin foil to make a connection. That may be where the problem is. There are times that it works fine and then I turn it on and it will immediately shut off again, and I have to fight with it to keep it on. Then it can work fine again.

firefighterjake
05-12-2008, 12:26 PM
I will check the contacts again. One got broken and I had to replace it with tin foil to make a connection. That may be where the problem is. There are times that it works fine and then I turn it on and it will immediately shut off again, and I have to fight with it to keep it on. Then it can work fine again.

Tin foil? Are you sure you're not using a Magellan? ;):D

I mean Hiram has a Garmin and utilizes quite a bit of tin foil . . . but he uses it to fashion a hat while outdoors caching so the aliens won't attempt to suck out his brain waves. ;):D

Haffy
05-12-2008, 04:49 PM
I would suggest giving Garmin a call and I'm sure they can help you. They have excellent customer service and they will respond promptly. Here is their toll free # (800)-800-1420

EvilHomer
05-16-2008, 09:07 AM
I added some extra tin foil from my hat...he he he, and that seems to have done the trick. I added the foil after I broke off one of the battery tabs trying to clean battery acid off it when one leaked and corroded the contact. Those contacts are not replaceable by any easy means so I had to MacGyver a solution, ie the aluminum foil. It works. Now I know what to do if it starts acting up again.

Mapachi
05-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Have you checked what type of battery your Garmin is set for? I use lithium batteries and I had to change the settings on my Garmin for them.

EvilHomer
05-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Yes. That was the first thing I looked at. I have alkalines in it and have it set for alks. It is working great now that I added more aluminum foil to help make a better contact. :D