View Full Version : We Did It!

Maine-iac_Mom
04-30-2008, 07:39 PM
The kids and I FINALLY went Geocaching this morning with my Mom, my pregnant sister, and her 90-pound German Shepard. My oldest son (9) is a "natural" 'cacher! :D He took over the GPSr and found the caches in seconds once we "arrived at our destination". :cool: We attempted 2 and found 2. The kids were SSSSooOOOOoo excited and wanted to do more, but we were out-of-time. Hopefully we'll get 2 more in tomorrow!

TRF
04-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Way Cool!! Welcome to the addiction that has no bad side effects. Enjoy and feel free to ask questions in these forums. There is a wealth of information here!!

Cache On!!

brdad
04-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Congrats! May you find many more and they get more enjoyable as you go.

Maine-iac_Mom
05-01-2008, 02:48 PM
We found 2 more today! 1 stumped us a little bit and the kids were asking about the clue, but I told them to keep looking and sure enough a few minutes later my oldest son found it. Our GPSr was a little off. I think it was the thick tree canopy...Anyway, we succeeded! LOL

Between the 2 caches today we walk 2 miles! I suppose that doesn't sound a lot to some of you, but sheesh! I'm not used to that! LOL

firefighterjake
05-01-2008, 03:23 PM
;):D
We found 2 more today! 1 stumped us a little bit and the kids were asking about the clue, but I told them to keep looking and sure enough a few minutes later my oldest son found it. Our GPSr was a little off. I think it was the thick tree canopy...Anyway, we succeeded! LOL

Between the 2 caches today we walk 2 miles! I suppose that doesn't sound a lot to some of you, but sheesh! I'm not used to that! LOL

Congrats . . . consider yourself hooked . . . well a little bit hooked. :)

Be aware that the GPSr readings may get you close, but may not bring you spot on to the cache . . . remember it has to do not only with your GPSr readings, but also the GPSr readings of the hider. In general I've often found that for some reason I can get good signals outdoors in just about everything . . . except for hemlock groves . . . maybe it's just me though!

As for two miles . . . not bad . . . not bad at all considering the plethora of GRCs and LPCs that have flourished in the State of Maine.

Finally, you refused to give them a clue . . . geez, that's one of the first things I look for and even then I have a hard time finding the cache sometimes . . . ;):D

TRF
05-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Heck, 2 miles is nothing and FFJ does make a valid point. Accuracy is also dependent on the cache poster. On some of FFJ's caches my Garmin and his Magellan have been differing by several miles.....LOL. Actually one was in a different town than where his original coordinates sent me.:D:D I will say I think there was Hemlocks in that town though...

On a more serious note, 2 miles is a nice jaunt and when walking that distance while Geocaching it is almost always rewarding at the final destination. Now you are ready for Round Top (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a18a2af6-f5cc-4943-9617-ea571992bcc1)and Gimme Shelter (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=59e14e50-1c8c-4030-a631-61c838468958) and Tumbledown Challenge (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=52618957-3172-41e9-b09e-ac1e940f6f5f) and a great many others!!!!

Cache On!!!!

Maine-iac_Mom
05-01-2008, 06:24 PM
I thought you were a professional cacher, Firefighter Jake! Don't use those clues unless you're really really really really really stumped! LOL ;)

Um, what's GRC and LPC mean?

We've found all 4 without clues. I hadn't quite solved the clue to the first one today that wasn't where we expected before Jake found it. Jake definitely has a "cache sense" and seems to find them quickly. He says that he sees things that don't look "natural" and that helps him.

Well, after all that hiking we did find a signature item and we were extra excited about that. We need to get our item ordered and ready now that we're doing this!

Thanks for the GPS accuracy info. I knew that they could be off a little so that's what I told the kids. We focused all looking AROUND the area instead. All other 3 caches were right on though.

TRF
05-01-2008, 06:44 PM
GRC= Guard Rail cache
LPC=Lamp Post Cache

I think a search in the forums may turn up a list of anacronyms..

Cache On!!

Hiram357
05-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I thought you were a professional cacher, Firefighter Jake! Don't use those clues unless you're really really really really really stumped! LOL ;)

We've found all 4 without clues. I hadn't quite solved the clue to the first one today that wasn't where we expected before Jake found it. Jake definitely has a "cache sense" and seems to find them quickly. He says that he sees things that don't look "natural" and that helps him.

Well, after all that hiking we did find a signature item and we were extra excited about that. We need to get our item ordered and ready now that we're doing this!

Thanks for the GPS accuracy info. I knew that they could be off a little so that's what I told the kids. We focused all looking AROUND the area instead. All other 3 caches were right on though.

(Gaurd Rail Cache & Lamp Post Cache)

JamieoftheNorth
05-01-2008, 06:55 PM

Congrats! I'm also a newb so I can relate to your excitement. It's definitely addicting. :)

Maine-iac_Mom
05-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks!

Oh, Jamie...I used to live in Dayton and we went to Waterboro a lot for homeschooling stuff. The kids loved the "Dragon Playground". LOL

firefighterjake
05-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Heck, 2 miles is nothing and FFJ does make a valid point. Accuracy is also dependent on the cache poster. On some of FFJ's caches my Garmin and his Magellan have been differing by several miles.....LOL. Actually one was in a different town than where his original coordinates sent me.:D:D I will say I think there was Hemlocks in that town though...

On a more serious note, 2 miles is a nice jaunt and when walking that distance while Geocaching it is almost always rewarding at the final destination. Now you are ready for Round Top (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a18a2af6-f5cc-4943-9617-ea571992bcc1)and Gimme Shelter (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=59e14e50-1c8c-4030-a631-61c838468958) and Tumbledown Challenge (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=52618957-3172-41e9-b09e-ac1e940f6f5f) and a great many others!!!!

Cache On!!!!

HehHeh . . . seems like the two times my coords were off . . . way off . . . you were the guy who went for the FTF attempt. Honestly, it was not intentional . . . and I'll blame it on the hemlocks . . . in fact maybe that should be my new signature line "Don't blame me . . . blame the hemlocks!" :D;)

firefighterjake
05-02-2008, 12:30 PM

Me a professional . . . nah . . . I'm just a dumb Maine goober thrashing around wildly in the woods until I stumble on to a cache by accident . . . I mean I have a Magellan and need all the help I can get while geocaching. ;):D

GRC = Guard Rail cache
LPC = Lamp Post cache

Maine-iac_Mom
05-02-2008, 12:39 PM
2 more today! Only 1 mile of SOGGY hiking.

We found 2 more signature items Thanks Hollara and Treszurs R Us (Did I spell that close? LOL) - and a Park and Grab. (Is that what those are called?)

And no, we're not really for those mountain hikes, Trezurs! LOL I'd never make it! Mabye by the end of the summer although the kids think it would be neat to place our own cache near the mountain we live at the base of (1000 feet high).

Still didn't use any clues, FFJ! LOL Didn't need to even look today. Jake found one in seconds and Cati found the Park and Grab just as quick. Someone grabbed your ladder sig item though! We want one of those! LOL And we have a Garmin...maybe that's why we don't need the clues. ;)

firefighterjake
05-02-2008, 12:50 PM
GRC = Gone but Really Cool cache . . . A cache that was placed in a very unusual location or an especially scenic spot that is now missing for some reason

LPC = Large Pine Cache . . . a cache located in the crook of a large pine tree vs. being hidden on the ground

Any other creative GRCs or LPCs out there??? ;):D

Maine-iac_Mom
05-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Don't confuse me! LOL

Team2hunt
05-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Congrats! I'm also a newb so I can relate to your excitement. It's definitely addicting. :)

We have been caching since Christmas of 2004, and have lots of finds. When you find one of those really great, off the beaten path places, that without geocaching you would never have found. :)
We still get excited!:D

Maine-iac_Mom
05-03-2008, 08:04 AM
My Mom has been joining us on our "hunts" and she's seeing places and things that she has never seen...and she's lived here for 50 years! It does get you out and about and enjoying places you've never been to before!

Team2hunt
05-03-2008, 08:09 AM
I am now in Windham but grew up in Casco. Maplebrook Farm. I too have found places that I never knew existed......I'll let you find them on your own. One of my all time favorite places is Hacker's Hill. I am lucky to have a cache up there. It's one of the most beautiful places around.

Good luck out there on the hunt. :cool:

Maine-iac_Mom
05-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Hacker's Hill is one we want to get too soon! I'm waiting for them to open up though, but I guess we could park at the bottom of the hill. I've heard there are GREAT views from there.

darterkitfox
05-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Good luck on Hacker's Hill. As Team2Hunt knows from the log, I was the last one there before winter and the first one there this spring and even with a hint, my wife and I can't find it. With a clear view I can't believe coordinates are off. I have put it on my watched list so if someone finds it, I'll know it's there. Fantastic views and I didn't even go all the way to the top.

Maine-iac_Mom
05-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Is it quite a hike to get up there? I'm still building up my endurance! LOL And I have a 3-year-old tagging along. (He's got more energy than all of us combined though.)

We'll give it a whirl and see what happens. If nothing else, it'll be fun to explore someplace nearby we haven't seen and take some great photos (as I just got my Canon XTi).

Team2hunt
05-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Is it quite a hike to get up there? I'm still building up my endurance! LOL And I have a 3-year-old tagging along. (He's got more energy than all of us combined though.)

We'll give it a whirl and see what happens. If nothing else, it'll be fun to explore someplace nearby we haven't seen and take some great photos (as I just got my Canon XTi).

My son and I were there today and the gate is open. You could drive to within about 35' of the cache. No view today. The cache had been muggled and we replaced it and hid it a little better. I am also going to make the cache " members only " so if you need the coords just let me know. Send me a PM.

Maine-iac_Mom
05-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Oh, neat! Thanks for letting me know, Team2hunt! I sent you a PM.