View Full Version : Read this log

vicbiker
05-05-2008, 09:11 PM
On Friday while caching in S. Maine I did Boulder Dash GCNQKT in Alfred. Last night when logging in my cache, I noticed there was a log posted from the owner. It's a very moving story about the owner of this cache and the medical problems that he has been dealing with. Didn't know what should be done, so thought I would give all of you a heads up. Maybe someone with more experience in these matters will know what to do.

brdad
05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Quite a story. It would be neat to do something, maybe someone will have an idea.

This is the cache

Boulder Dash (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6fde4a83-e09d-4bf6-9c8c-1d71e8f7ea8b) (GCNQKT) by RabidMoogle (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=46891) (1/3)

Mainiac1957
05-05-2008, 09:48 PM
That really was quite the sad story. I don't know what you would even say to a guy that has been through so much at such a young age. My heart goes out to him.

team moxiepup
05-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Vic we did this one 3/26/06 and the ice was so cool. We will try to help out in any way that we can. We will always remember this cache as being the most organized cache we have ever found. The ice was melting at the time when we went there but it still had a nice blue tint to it.
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/d2dab18d-3598-4437-90b7-63e1d9014455.jpg

team moxiepup
05-05-2008, 10:04 PM
I just emailed the owner to see if there was anything we could do to help with the cache.

Thanks Vic for pointing this out.

Team2hunt
05-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I logged that cache with kayakerinme a long time ago. I remember taking a small Kimoto dragon from the cache in a trade. He is still hanging around on the dashboard of the truck. Sometimes it's the place you visit, and sometimes it's the cool find. This time it's the story behind the cacher. I'll make it a point to stop and check on the cache when I visit the area.

vicbiker
05-05-2008, 10:24 PM
I just emailed the owner to see if there was anything we could do to help with the cache.

Thanks Vic for pointing this out. Thanks for caring ...you just reaffirmed what this group is all about. Let me know if I can help in any way.

attroll
05-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Why don't we all hook up this weekend and meet at a designated spot and go to this cache together and do a cito on this cache and pick up all trash on the way in and out and clean the area up for this guy and bring a new container in case one is needed. We can even invite the guy to come with us.

What does everyone think about that idea. I can start coordinating this if we can get people interested.

JamieoftheNorth
05-06-2008, 05:43 AM
Just logged this cache yesterday, but didn't read the owner's entry until just now. It's between where I work and where I live, and I sometimes run on the trails that go near this cache. I'd also like to help out. I have a few extra notepads that work great for logbooks and could easily put one in.

JamieoftheNorth
05-06-2008, 05:47 AM
I messaged the owner and told him I could put a new logbook in and offered help if he needs it.

vicbiker
05-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Why don't we all hook up this weekend and meet at a designated spot and go to this cache together and do a cito on this cache and pick up all trash on the way in and out and clean the area up for this guy and bring a new container in case one is needed. We can even invite the guy to come with us.

What does everyone think about that idea. I can start coordinating this if we can get people interested. Rick if you read mine or Moxie Pups log entries you'll see that the cache is neatest cache we've ever done. The container is a ammo can and inside you find three plastic covered trays that fit inside like those in a tackle box, each one holes something different, log book and such in the top one, sig items and TB's in another, swag in another.etc. So other then the log being full the cache is in great shape. I would've gone and got a log book if I had known the situation at that time. Jamieofthenorth has said he'll replace the log book. The area around the cache was not trashy as I remember it. But it's an old granite quarry and the terrain is steep. rough and far from handicap accessable.

Lets see what Moxie Pups and others in the area find out from contacting him what's needed. If we build a handicap trail to the cache we will certainly be giving away the cache location and this may not be what the owner wants. Maybe whats needed is for someone to stop by and help him go to the cache site once and a while so he can mantain it.

tat
05-06-2008, 07:59 AM
This is the best organized cache I've ever done too!! I won't be around this weekend, but if there is anything I can do, let me know.

TRF
05-06-2008, 10:32 AM
M.S is a rotten diagnosis. I know this personally although I'm not the one affected. The part that concerns me the most is that this cacher felt he had to explain his lack of diligence in maintaining his cache due to his real life issues. I know first hand about people demanding explanation and action regarding caches. I understand that most people, including myself can't read minds but I also realize that if I come across a cache that is in need of repair/updating or whatever, I would attempt to fix the cache issues myself and assume that the hider will do what he/she feels needs to be done in their own time. Some folks just don't care that things happen outside of geocaching and that everyone has their reasons for doing what they do. My experience was that I got several emails threantening that I either needed to verify/replace a cache or it would be recommended for archiving. Thanks to another conscientious cacher (we are truly thankful to her) the container was replaced.

Amidst all the issues we were going through, at that time, the last thing we needed in our lives were the petty complaints of a cacher who was mad that a cache didn't meet their criteria/expectations. We may have overreacted when we disabled all our caches but the lack of sleep, the worry, the traveling and everything that goes along with a bad situation compounded and those petty complaints and threats were enough to make us say, .."to hell with that." The generalization wasn't fair and for that I apologize as 99.9% of the cachers are in the sport for the sport but there are definately a very, very, very few that are in it for themselves. Course we encountered that super small minority who demanded our action for their entertainment.

My Diatribe is because the cacher who feels he has to explain himself is feeling guilty about that cache. He shouldn't be feeling guilty over what is suppose to be a fun sport especially considering the events he was facing. My/our guilt regarding our cache was because I was getting threatening emails, I hope his guilt stems from other reasons even though he has no reason to feel guilty.

I also think maintaining his cache, if he wishes, is a great idea. As cachers we should do it automatically for all caches we visit and I know most folks here do; we hide it better, add swag, clean them and dry them replace containers and what-not. That's why I like this sport so much. Unfortunately there are some who lost sight of that.

attroll
05-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Rick if you read mine or Moxie Pups log entries you'll see that the cache is neatest cache we've ever done. The container is a ammo can and inside you find three plastic covered trays that fit inside like those in a tackle box, each one holes something different, log book and such in the top one, sig items and TB's in another, swag in another.etc. So other then the log being full the cache is in great shape. I would've gone and got a log book if I had known the situation at that time. Jamieofthenorth has said he'll replace the log book. The area around the cache was not trashy as I remember it. But it's an old granite quarry and the terrain is steep. rough and far from handicap accessable.

Lets see what Moxie Pups and others in the area find out from contacting him what's needed. If we build a handicap trail to the cache we will certainly be giving away the cache location and this may not be what the owner wants. Maybe whats needed is for someone to stop by and help him go to the cache site once and a while so he can mantain it.

I saw where you posted it was the neatest cache but I did not know you meant it in that manner. I thought you meant the word neatest as in the sense of coolest or best. I misunderstood. Well then all it sounds like it needs is a new logbook so I am sure someone can do that for hte owner.

Team2hunt
05-06-2008, 04:09 PM
I remember the trays were labeled....small trade items, medium trade items, and large trade items. Yes it was the most organized cache the Team had ever done.

I think what he would like the most, is to pull out the barbed wire around the cache and make it safe. A little CITO never hurt either. I will be away for several weekends, but can make myself available after that.

pjpreb
05-06-2008, 07:24 PM
I ordered some MS wristbands to leave as swag. I found them on the MS Society web site. Thinking of you RabidMoogle.

Haffy
05-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Just one other tidbit to add to this thread. Does the owner of this cache know of this website? if he doesn't then maybe he would like to read the posts about what is transpiring regarding all of this.

Kacky
05-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Hi all, just getting back to the boards after a hectic couple of weeks. This guy got a bum deal for sure. It's really great of everyone to help.

NativeMainer
05-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Wow. It's nice to see such an outpouring of support. I don't log onto this forum too often, and I am touched by the sincerity of those who posted.

I know a lot of people have said this, but if there's anything I can do... I live down the road a bit (in Biddeford), and I drop my girls off at the sitter's place, which is just a mile or so up toward the center of town. I've been planning to find this one soon.

pjpreb
05-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Went caching in the Eustis area today and put our 4 or 5 of the MS support bands in some caches. They make great trade items as they are small enough to fit in most any cache container. :)

Haffy
05-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Hey how do you rate caching during the week anyway? :confused:;)

NativeMainer
06-20-2010, 11:37 PM
I saw the cache listing for Boulder Dash (GCNQKT) while I was looking for another cache in the area and I remembered this thread from a couple of years ago. I noticed in the cache log that the container is damaged, and I'll try in the next couple of weeks to go out and repair it.

Has anyone had contact with RabidMoogle? I noticed that a couple of people said that they sent him messages, but GC is saying that his last visit to the site was July of 2008, and his e-mail address was not validated, so he' no longer a member of GC.com (not entirely surprising since his vision is for all intents and purposes gone and he's had more pressing matters to attend to).

CARoperPhotography
06-21-2010, 05:05 PM
This is the best organized cache I've ever done too!! I won't be around this weekend, but if there is anything I can do, let me know.

TAT is right on that one! I found this one last fall and when I opened it, I couldn't believe how organized it was. It is entirely compartmentalized and labeled with spots for everything such as log book, trading items, small trading items, pens, coins, TBs etc etc. And it is a VERY neat spot.... very cache worthy. I don't live far from it at all and would be happy to perform maintenance on it, just as I have for numerous other cache owners caches in the area!:)