View Full Version : New to the fold.

djgray1200
05-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Hey all. Just a quick shout to introduce myself. My name is Jereme. I'm brand new to the hobby. Matter of fact I haven't even picked up a GPSr yet, but am very anxious to get going. My eyes are set on Garmin's etrex legend HCX. If anyone has any experience positive or negative or positive let me know. I want to make an educated decision. I look forward to interacting with everyone. Looks like a great community.

Team2hunt
05-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Welcome to what could be called a very close community. We have all been together for quite sometime now. You will always be welcome. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions, I'll bet we have the answers.

Well some would say a GPS is a GPS. But I prefer my Garmin. We started caching with an eTrex unit and had very few problems. Some new cachers have opted for the top of the line MAP60CSx. If you plan to do this and other activities with your GPS the auto-routing and detailed maps might be worth looking at. But believe me, these expensive units might get you to the cache quicker. But they don't make you any better at finding it.

Opalsns
05-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Welcome,
Garmin Etrex for us too!!!!
Happy Caching.
Opalsns and BubbaBass

TRF
05-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Firstly I'd like to say welcome and secondly Garmin makes a great GPS. I found my first 400 with Old Yellow (eTrex personal) and then I opted for the eTrex Vista C. The autorouting function is a great asset for geocaching. The only catch is you have to make sure you get the software and that can be as much as the GPS unit. I've been tracking a used Vista HCx on eBay (click here to see it (http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-ETREX-VISTA-CX-WITH-EXTRAS_W0QQitemZ180240036061QQihZ008QQcategoryZ116 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)). I'm partial to the smaller eTrex models :). Check it out and it will give you an idea of some of the accessories you may want to consider.

The most important thing though is to get a GPS that fits your budget and just get out and enjoy caching.

Once again, welcome!!

darterkitfox
05-07-2008, 07:10 PM
I use the eTrex and do okay with it. It takes me a couple hours to write down everything on paper for a days trip of caching and that's without writing down clues, sizes, and what previous finders had to log, but the GPS itself gets me there fine.

djgray1200
05-07-2008, 07:29 PM
I count myself as being pretty lucky working for one of the best companies in the state let alone the nation. L.L. saw it fit to give me a $100 gift card for my wedding this past Sat. So that gets me a good start towards my purchase of the Garmin. I've read some good reviews and your info has helped fill me in and pretty much cement my decision. I'll be caching soon with the rest of ye.

Cache Maine
05-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Welcome to our world....and congrats on your marriage. Let us know if we can help along the way.

Beach Comber
05-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I count myself as being pretty lucky working for one of the best companies in the state let alone the nation. L.L. saw it fit to give me a $100 gift card for my wedding this past Sat. So that gets me a good start towards my purchase of the Garmin. I've read some good reviews and your info has helped fill me in and pretty much cement my decision. I'll be caching soon with the rest of ye.

That is a good start, but you still may want to look around. As much as I like LL, I have found the GPS prices to be steeper than most. I bet you could find another way to spend those $.

I am a Garmin fan as well and have the 60CSX. It is a great unit - very quick and fairly easy to use. The new DeLorme PN20 is also a great unit and there are a growing number of cachers who are heading in this direction when upgrading or buying new.

You may eventually want to consider using a Palm Pilot for cache information rather than printing sheets and inputting info into the GPS by hand.

Welcome to the hobby and the website. Join the fun at an event at some point. The energy in a room full of cachers is craaaaazy!

Hiram357
05-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Welcome! Get a Garmin! *cough*magellanssuckdontlistentofirefighterjake*co ugh* phew.. excuse me, i have a lil cough... :D

Sudonim
05-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Welcome! Get a Garmin! *cough*magellanssuckdontlistentofirefighterjake*co ugh* phew.. excuse me, i have a lil cough... :D

His cough gets worse when he's sipping Guinness!:rolleyes:

attroll
05-08-2008, 12:50 AM
If your going to get close to the $300 range then I would say go for the Delorme PN-20 by far it is the best I have seen and used. I love all the features and the USA maps come with it, you don't know have to by them separate. You can pick one up from Delorme now for $299.

firefighterjake
05-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Well I'm in the minority with my lowly Magellan GPSrs . . . and I must admit that while I love the older Magellans (especially since it seems like they offered for bang for the buck with packaged deals) the new "Swiss Army" knife style Magellans don't exactly wow me (they do a little of everything . . . which always makes me hesitant since I always figure something that does a little of everything never does anything completely good).

I would hazard a guess that Garmins in this part of the country are the most popular hand-held GPSr . . . customer support and dependability are legendary . . . just ask Hiram . . . he has done his own dependability tests on his own GPSr by dropping it in the snow for several weeks, taking it for a swim in a river and has dropped it untold number of times -- in fact I think the only two things he hasn't tried is to set it on fire or subject it to a thermo-nuclear blast. Currently his GPSr is undergoing another test . . . he left it outside in the middle of nowhere . . . at some point he is going to go back and see if Garmins can survive an entire Maine winter without any problems. ;):D

I like the new DeLormes . . . but probably because their set-up reminds me somewhat of my Magellan Explorist 210. I know a lot of folks like them . . . although Hiram doesn't since he says they remind him too much of a Magellan (Hiram has some real psychological hang-ups when it comes to Magellans for some reason . . . but don't worry we've got him in theraphy.):D

Of course you can always go with a Hiram Hiram . . . this unit is quite good at finding caches, but has a tendency to suddenly stop working whenever it approaches any establishment that serves adult beverages in mugs . . . plus it's turn-by-turn directions can be a bit hard to understand as they consist of grunts and frantic hand motions. :D

Oh yeah . . . almost forgot . . . welcome to geocaching and geocachingmaine.org . . . if you've got questions ask away . . . the folks here are quite helpful.

Opalsns
05-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Get a Garmin at Walmart for $99 just in case you change your interest in Geocaching.( It happens). Save your gift certificate for a GOOD pair of snowshoes for winter caching!!!! It's a great time to cache!!!!
Opalsns

Hiram357
05-08-2008, 03:18 PM
His cough gets worse when he's sipping Guinness!:rolleyes:

heh, and so do my jokes! :D

pjpreb
05-08-2008, 09:17 PM
LL also sees fit to give employees 30% off their purchases. Makes that Garmin easier to reach.

dubord207
05-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Another choice is one of Garmin's earliest models, the LP. You hook a camping propane cylinder to is and it will run for six hours before you need a fresh cylinder. These work well in most conditions except high winds when the pilot light gets blown out. Hiram had one of those and set his tent on fire one night while downloading caches! Steph's long johns were destroyed in the fire and Joe Bornstein and myself are pursuing a huge claim against Garmin and the manufacture of the dangerous long johns for what will likely result in an award of damages likely to exceed $20 dollars. We have it all here, lawyers, doctors.. everything imaginable. Before law school I was a test pilot for Preparation H. Talent abounds! Welcome and have fun!!!!

Mainiac1957
05-08-2008, 09:37 PM
A bit odd perhaps, but a funny guy none the less.:p:rolleyes::cool:

TRF
05-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Another choice is one of Garmin's earliest models, the LP. You hook a camping propane cylinder to is and it will run for six hours before you need a fresh cylinder. These work well in most conditions except high winds when the pilot light gets blown out. Hiram had one of those and set his tent on fire one night while downloading caches! Steph's long johns were destroyed in the fire and Joe Bornstein and myself are pursuing a huge claim against Garmin and the manufacture of the dangerous long johns for what will likely result in an award of damages likely to exceed $20 dollars. We have it all here, lawyers, doctors.. everything imaginable. Before law school I was a test pilot for Preparation H. Talent abounds! Welcome and have fun!!!!

Dubord is suffering a little early dementia. Side effect of too much Preparation H and too little respiration. (Not many people wouldn't hold their breathe upon application of the test material.) Over all it's helped his law office but makes for bad t.v. commercials as his skin still conveys an overall bluish tint..and he walks very "upright" giving people the perception that he is full of....... Well, he is a lawyer. :D:D:D

Opalsns
05-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Please give Duburd a break. His lobster was molested and he's having a hard time dealing!!!!
GARMIN Etrex ....$99 ...Walmart...Gift Certificate .....Snowshoes!!!!!!
Opalsns

Hiram357
05-09-2008, 12:02 PM

so when do i get my cut of the winnings???? :D

Team Richards
05-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Welcome. We use a Garmin and love it. I have some advice about spending your CC.
From one Bean EE to another, (You may know this but in case you don't.) EE's don't get any discount on GPS units, only accessories. You may want to shop around for a good price and use that gift card for something you get a discount on.
Congrats to you and your wife. Hope to see you on the trails soon.

djgray1200
05-15-2008, 06:29 PM
So I finally picked up my receiver today and did end up going with the Legend HCx. After the generous company gift I mentioned and returning a jacket that got toasted way before it's time, I only had to shell out $104. After a few hours of acquainting myself I think I might be ready to head out. Anyone here in the OOB area have any recommendations on where to start? Caches of note or otherwise just a good entry level find? Tips for an anxious noob? Thanks for all your help and great greetings as well.

Team2hunt
05-15-2008, 07:38 PM
So I finally picked up my receiver today and did end up going with the Legend HCx. After the generous company gift I mentioned and returning a jacket that got toasted way before it's time, I only had to shell out $104. After a few hours of acquainting myself I think I might be ready to head out. Anyone here in the OOB area have any recommendations on where to start? Caches of note or otherwise just a good entry level find? Tips for an anxious noob? Thanks for all your help and great greetings as well.

Exit 32 Travel Bug Hotel GCYN6N
B.M.T. GC108F9
Ocean Pahk Cache GCG7DG
Ferry Beach GC23D2
Vines Landing GCYE1V

These are in the Biddeford O.O.B. area and should not be too hard. Good luck.

djgray1200
05-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks T2h. Went on my first outing today and found both caches. Great outing with the kids. Thanks for the recommendations. Checked Ocean Pahk and Goosefare Brook. I think I've been bitten by the bug. Good times had. :D