View Full Version : Geocoin Thieves!

EvilHomer
05-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of coins in the Bangor area are missing? On Marsh Island alone I have found 4-5 caches that are supposed to have coins in them with NO coins. Someone is taking coins. I would hate to think a fellow cacher is a thief, but this is getting tiresome. I have opened up 6 caches in the last two weeks looking for geocoins only to find them gone with no logs or any trace. Beware coin owners, geothieves are about.

TRF
05-12-2008, 11:47 AM
The most I ever have had a coin travel is 3 caches. Then they mysteriously dissappear. Thats not entirely true. Let me rephrase that. The most I ever have had a coin travel "in the U.S.A" is 3 caches. I put a Maine coin in Australia a year ago and it is still travelling. Many of us live your frustration EH!!!!!!

al'Thor
05-12-2008, 11:56 AM
I quickly lost my one and only. Debating if I should try again or not.

firefighterjake
05-12-2008, 12:23 PM
The most I ever have had a coin travel is 3 caches. Then they mysteriously dissappear. Thats not entirely true. Let me rephrase that. The most I ever have had a coin travel "in the U.S.A" is 3 caches. I put a Maine coin in Australia a year ago and it is still travelling. Many of us live your frustration EH!!!!!!

That explains your mission for your Augusta FD Pirate geocoin that I found in the Friar Tuck cache.

firefighterjake
05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm wondering if folks are deliberately stealing them or if it's folks who for some reason think the coins are treated the same as normal swag . . . or maybe they put them in their pocket or swag bag and forget about them . . . or maybe they really think that some day those coins will be valuable. :rolleyes:

Hiram357
05-12-2008, 03:31 PM

Ha! I have you beat! Mine went 4 caches!!! For as much as some coins cost, I prefer to hang onto mine instead of releasing them, It's almost a given that someone is going to walk off with it.

Opalsns
05-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Ha! I have you beat! Mine went 4 caches!!! For as much as some coins cost, I prefer to hang onto mine instead of releasing them, It's almost a given that someone is going to walk off with it.

I keep Mine too!!!!!! I have 1 out.The last person retrieved it from ROAD EASY and is waiting for a cool cache to put it in. It made it to 3 caches and 1 event!But it's still in play!!!:p
Opalsns

brdad
05-12-2008, 03:48 PM
The coins are sought after, and a few have made a good profit on ebay. Some people drill holes in them to devalue them if they are going to set them loose.

I have little faith in any trackables. I had an 18 lb. TB stolen from the first place I put it, and it was on an island! If they'll steal that, a coin has no chance. :(

JamieoftheNorth
05-12-2008, 05:56 PM
I didn't realize geocoin theft was that big of a problem. Yikes! I wanted to send one with a goal to go from Cali back to Maine when I'm out there next month... would I be better off using a travel bug instead?

Haffy
05-12-2008, 06:38 PM
That would be my preference,that way you are only out 4 bux instead of the cost of the coin which would probably be more.

hide_from_the_kids
05-12-2008, 07:12 PM
We've only put one coin out and it went about three moves and has been with one person since then. I've written it off for lost since we haven't had any replies to emails and it hasn't moved since February.

We'll probably put more coins out though, and we have a round of tbs waiting to go. Our oldest gets so excited about see where tbs have been and where they are going that as long as they are making it a bit we would like to send one out now and again.

Hiram357
05-12-2008, 08:46 PM
I didn't realize geocoin theft was that big of a problem. Yikes! I wanted to send one with a goal to go from Cali back to Maine when I'm out there next month... would I be better off using a travel bug instead?

If you want to gaurantee that it doesn't get stolen, you could attach it to something unwantable, like a cinderblock, bowling pin, a log, or some roadkill... (all but the roadkill TB are actual TBs and have been in circulation for quite a wile) but they're also slow moving... :D:D

JamieoftheNorth
05-13-2008, 05:45 AM
If you want to gaurantee that it doesn't get stolen, you could attach it to something unwantable, like a cinderblock, bowling pin, a log, or some roadkill... (all but the roadkill TB are actual TBs and have been in circulation for quite a wile) but they're also slow moving... :D:D

I think I'll still take my chance with the geocoin, but keep in mind it could be stolen. That's when the hex I put on it will kick in. Whenever the thief says "squirrel", they better be wearing Depends undergarments.

brdad
05-13-2008, 06:02 AM
So that was you! Take that hex off! Take it away now!

I think I'll still take my chance with the geocoin, but keep in mind it could be stolen. That's when the hex I put on it will kick in. Whenever the thief says "squirrel", they better be wearing Depends undergarments.

EvilHomer
05-13-2008, 01:06 PM
I have a few coins out at this time. I have several that I either have two of , or I simply will keep. The ones I release I figure I can live with if it doesnt return some day. I have thought about "virtually" leaving a coin in caches, basically leaving a slip of printed paper with a picture of my coin and its tracking number with the attached note: Steal this one, I dont care. :)

WhereRWe?
05-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of coins in the Bangor area are missing? Beware coin owners, geothieves are about.

Sheesh! Don't get me started on this subject again! LOL!

Yes, there are geocoin thieves among us. Sadly, I would suggest that they are people we know well. I was given a very nice Algarve geocoin in Portugal which I DO NOT intend to release. It will be available for discovery, but will not leave my sight. Sigh... :(:(

pjpreb
05-18-2008, 09:29 PM
We have a coin that is travelling all over and one that got lost in the first cache we put it in. Of our 5 TB's - 2 of them are still moving around. Some though have "rested" for several months then moved again. We set them off in the world and forget about them for the most part.

balinda
05-19-2008, 12:48 PM
My family gave me two grabbags from Oakcoins. They had some great swag in them and at least three coins. I chose which coins I really wanted to keep and sent the others out to see what they would do. So far (I got them for Christmas) I have 4 coins sitting in caches waiting to be retrieved. My 8 year old is enjoying finding the caches on a map. I do hate the thieves and I am going to go with Travel bugs in the future.