View Full Version : TB Fraud

brdad
05-12-2008, 06:04 PM
I received a suspicious email today asking for tracking numbers for TBs, namely Jeeps. My only guess is this is an attempt to obtain tracking numbers to increase their TB count. I also assume I was targeted because I helped distribute the Jeeps. I have forwarded the email to gc.com.

Unless I hear different from gc.com, I would assume this is some kind of scam. You should not need to give out tracking numbers for any TB.

Sudonim
05-12-2008, 06:42 PM
They weren't from *****ia were they? A rich uncle died and left them with 1.5 million TB's and they just need your TB numbers to transfer them out of the country...

Sudonim
05-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Now that's an odd censoring program...N I G E R I A

TRF
05-12-2008, 07:14 PM
I received a suspicious email today asking for tracking numbers for TBs, namely Jeeps. My only guess is this is an attempt to obtain tracking numbers to increase their TB count. I also assume I was targeted because I helped distribute the Jeeps. I have forwarded the email to gc.com.

Unless I hear different from gc.com, I would assume this is some kind of scam. You should not need to give out tracking numbers for any TB.

LoL,,,I got a similar email from a "geocacher" out of New Zealand.....Hmmmmm

I didn't pass along any numbers either

Mapachi
05-12-2008, 08:21 PM
There is a guy outside my house under a streetlight smoking a cigarette and reading a newspaper upside down. So I can't leave the house with my TBs right now. Can some one send a distraction over, so I can sneek out the back?

FuddsGirls
05-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Why don't you just give me your TB tracking numbers and I'll keep them safe.

Hiram357
05-12-2008, 08:39 PM
There is a guy outside my house under a streetlight smoking a cigarette and reading a newspaper upside down. So I can't leave the house with my TBs right now. Can some one send a distraction over, so I can sneek out the back?

I got ya covered Mapachi! I'll be right over, when I give the signal you set off the smoke, then me and the boys will come and lay down some heavy supressing fire so you can make your way out, if it gets outta hand we'll have some mortar rounds goin overhead as backup, and a couple of A-10s on standby if we need em... :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

Hiram357
05-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Why don't you just give me your TB tracking numbers and I'll keep them safe.

awesome! I just put the list of 126 TB #s in the Gulf Hagas cache for ya... ;):p:D

firefighterjake
05-13-2008, 07:46 AM
Well I knew it was "all about the numbers", but I didn't realize there was such a drive to find the most TBs. :rolleyes::D

Maybe this guy thinks the 2005-2007 Jeep contest is still going on and is hoping to use the tracking numbers to win him a Jeep.

EvilHomer
05-13-2008, 01:13 PM
I had a guy in California "discover" my LUCUTUS TB when it was still at my house. Being the novice I am, I posted a picture of my TB to its page and I didn't cover the TBs tracking number. So he found it on my profile and "discovered" it. I emailed the guy and he responded and said, YEA I did it. Wow. The Nards on some people. So he got his log deleted.

attroll
05-13-2008, 01:35 PM
This type of stuff use to bother me. I have since learned to blow it off. The people that do this are only hurting themselves. People in the caching community know these people that do this and other things like this and they realize what they are like and that is all that matters to me. They build a name or reputation for themselves and they get stuck with that so they have to live with it.

al'Thor
05-13-2008, 01:58 PM
I agree with just blowing it off, but I can't stop wondering what the motivation is. Really.....are you going to be cooler because you discovered a bunch of TB's. "I'm so much cooler then you and I can prove it....just look at all the TB's i've discovered." Sounds like a lot of trouble for very little gain.

brdad
05-13-2008, 02:15 PM
I agree with just blowing it off, but I can't stop wondering what the motivation is. Really.....are you going to be cooler because you discovered a bunch of TB's. "I'm so much cooler then you and I can prove it....just look at all the TB's i've discovered." Sounds like a lot of trouble for very little gain.

To some people, it is about the numbers. It makes no sense to me either. I can understand someone wanting to find as many as they can because the enjoy it, even I had dreams once of having found every Maine cache and kept my unfound Maine caches at about 80 for nearly a year. Now I think it's about 1800!

But there is a big difference when someone gets more joy showing off their fabricated numbers than they would logging an actual TB or finding an actual cache. If someone wants to find 1/1s so they can get 50 in a day, fine. But when they log an archived cache hoping no one will notice, or log a cache they couldn't find because they were at 0 feet, or steal a TB number from a photo, they don't get much respect from me.

al'Thor
05-13-2008, 02:43 PM
To some people, it is about the numbers. It makes no sense to me either. I can understand someone wanting to find as many as they can because the enjoy it, even I had dreams once of having found every Maine cache and kept my unfound Maine caches at about 80 for nearly a year. Now I think it's about 1800!

But there is a big difference when someone gets more joy showing off their fabricated numbers than they would logging an actual TB or finding an actual cache. If someone wants to find 1/1s so they can get 50 in a day, fine. But when they log an archived cache hoping no one will notice, or log a cache they couldn't find because they were at 0 feet, or steal a TB number from a photo, they don't get much respect from me.

AMEN!!!!! I too am very proud of my growing number of finds, but it is a personal satisfacition; one that I know I worked hard for.

Sudonim
05-13-2008, 04:32 PM
My thoughts on the numbers are that it's like golf. You are only really playing against yourself. If you want to cheat yourself in golf, what are you getting out of the experience? Same with caching, there's no cash prize for FTF, most finds, etc. You want to cheat, who does it hurt except yourself. Why bother.

brdad
05-13-2008, 05:23 PM
That's great, but if 6 people open up shops within a mile of you and start selling substandard products, it gives the whole neighborhood a bad name.

I'd hate to see a geocaching news story where the interviewee promotes logging caches and TBs whether they really find them or not!

WhereRWe?
05-13-2008, 05:35 PM
We used to be concerned about "the numbers" until we took a trip south 3 years ago, caching in about 20 states. The vast majority of the caches had no purpose other than giving someone the ability to add another "find" to their bio.

And that's why we don't "discover" coins and bugs. What's the purpose? We think that finding coins and bugs in caches is one of the most enjoyable aspects for the sport. But some people take "the numbers" too seriously.

IMHO...

dubord207
05-14-2008, 06:03 AM
I've only been doing this for about 7 months and I think one's focus changes as we "mature" as cachers. Yesterday I did 15 caches and all but one involved some hiking. At 58 I enjoy the exercise and discovering all the wonderful hiking trails and public lands that are out there. I do find, however, when I'm approaching what are milestones for me that the easy ones help with the numbers. I think this is a "to each his/her own" type of game with rules and etiquette that everybody should play by. Cheating, or "computer generated cache finds" as I like to call it is an odd behavior. The number of finds is not something that you put on a job application. While I don't get the concept of logging TB's unless I actually take possession of them, I say go for it.

Bottom line, I continue to be impressed on a daily basis with the diversity of both the caches and the folks that place them.

firefighterjake
05-14-2008, 07:44 AM
We used to be concerned about "the numbers" until we took a trip south 3 years ago, caching in about 20 states. The vast majority of the caches had no purpose other than giving someone the ability to add another "find" to their bio.

And that's why we don't "discover" coins and bugs. What's the purpose? We think that finding coins and bugs in caches is one of the most enjoyable aspects for the sport. But some people take "the numbers" too seriously.

IMHO...

I remember when I first started caching and finding 100 caches seemed like a monumental task that would take me forever . . . and honestly it did take a while.

And when I reached 500 caches I thought I had really done something . . . and then like you I started to see folks from away who were coming into Maine on vacation with 4,000, 5,000, 6,000+ caches to their name and then I realized that the whole number thing is really, truly honestly just a way to keep your own personal score as Andy mentioned . . . you can't really compare apples to apples or cachers to cachers since folks in an urban area that have caches simply for number-sakes will always have a higher cache count than folks in an area who have caches placed due to a spot's scenic vista, historical aspect, etc.

For that reason alone I no longer get hung up on the numbers by trying to accumulate as many FTFs as I can or by keeping up with the Jones with finds, etc. For me it is just a hobby that I enjoy doing in my spare time . . . along with my other hobbies, work, renovating the house and spending quality time with my wife. I know it may be sacriligious to say this, but for me geocaching is not a way of life as some folks have stated before.

WhereRWe?
05-14-2008, 07:56 AM
For me it is just a hobby that I enjoy doing in my spare time . . . along with my other hobbies, work, renovating the house and spending quality time with my wife. I know it may be sacriligious to say this, but for me geocaching is not a way of life as some folks have stated before.

Well stated, Jake.

We love to travel, and for a period, the purpose of traveling was to log geocaches. Now we've gone back to the pre-geocaching days, where traveling is to see and experience new things, and logging geocaches is just a part of it.

On our recent trip, we were disappointed not to be able to add Morocco to our list of places we've logged caches (had to take a DNF), but the purpose of the trip to Morocco was the experience, not just adding another country.

EvilHomer
05-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Does it really matter for what reason you take a trip to another country/continent? Whether its for caching, or something else, your still going to have fun either way. :)

WhereRWe?
05-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Does it really matter for what reason you take a trip to another country/continent? Whether its for caching, or something else, your still going to have fun either way. :)

Exactly! We love to travel and do whatever we can to encourage other people to do so as well. A good example is the Mega event in Quebec City in August. I know a lot of people are afraid of Quebec because (SHEESH!) they speak French there. but we've never had a problem. This would be a great opportunity for Mainers to GET OUT THERE! It's only 5 hours from Central Maine to Quebec City.

And as for sightseeing, last summer we really enjoyed camping in the area beyond Quebec City, on the north shore of the St Lawrence. There's a great camping area (http://www.genevrier.com/default_en.aspx) within an easy drive of the city that would be a good base for the event.

darterkitfox
05-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Trouble with Quebec is, when looking up caches on Geocache.com, there are no maps available for all of Canada when you click on the map feature. Also, logs, hints, and the such are all written in French so those of us that are only "lingual" and not bilingual can't read them.

team moxiepup
05-17-2008, 10:50 AM
As far as translating the hints, you only need to know "Sous un tas de brindilles" :D

Sabby
05-17-2008, 10:55 AM
I went to look up a few caches in Quebec and the maps were available on GC.com.

Yes most of the writeups were in French but a few of the logs were in English. The coordinates and difficulty were all OK.

I think it could be fun to go there.

team moxiepup
05-17-2008, 10:58 AM
As far as the TB fraud... all one would have to do to rack up the "numbers" would be to enter a six digit number under the Trackable items and go up sequentially looking for hits on the TBs. No need to send out emails drawing attention to yourself. Guess these folks ain't that smat :rolleyes:
It would be a bit tougher to get hits on coins but it could be done. Now the question is WHY??:confused:

brdad
05-17-2008, 01:36 PM
As far as the TB fraud... all one would have to do to rack up the "numbers" would be to enter a six digit number under the Trackable items and go up sequentially looking for hits on the TBs. No need to send out emails drawing attention to yourself. Guess these folks ain't that smat :rolleyes:
It would be a bit tougher to get hits on coins but it could be done. Now the question is WHY??:confused:

Numbers! It's all about the numbers! It doesn't matter if they're real numbers, as long as they have more than you!

I think they were targeting the Jeeps, since most are not owned by cachers, and they are not going to pay attention to someone logging it falsely. If you just picked random TB numbers, your odds of choosing one owned by someone that might catch you are higher. you could, however, search for just Jeep number with the JP prefix. But that's one at a time. If they could have gotten a list of all the Jeeps I put out the first year, they'd have a big list.

Regardless, I am glad there is little if any of this going on around in Maine.