View Full Version : RE: "Bon Voyage" Hiram and Medawisla

firefighterjake
05-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Have fun on your trip . . . take plenty of pictures of monkeys for me and be careful about where you stick your hands. :D

Haffy
05-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Did I miss something? Where are they going?

WhereRWe?
05-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Sheesh, Haffy! Great minds think alike! I was just going to ask the same question. LOL!

Haffy
05-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the compliment Bruce. So who is the other great mind you were referring to? ;):D

WhereRWe?
05-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Sheesh! You're gonna get it Haffy. Just wait. One of these days...

BANG! ZOOM! To the moon!

;);)

firefighterjake
05-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Hiram claims that he's going "south" and expects to see palm trees, monkeys and flamingoes . . . he's going to Colorado with Medawisla. :rolleyes:

Medawisla is going for a conference . . . Hiram is uh, well . . . hopefully he will go and be able to keep out of trouble. Last I knew Steph said something about making him go to at least a few of the conference seminars . . . probably her attempt to keep a close eye on him so he doesn't get in trouble. :D

WhereRWe?
05-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Hiram claims that he's going "south" and expects to see palm trees, monkeys and flamingoes . . . he's going to Colorado with Medawisla. :rolleyes:

Sheesh! I know what Hiram is going to do!

Colorado = Coors, just like St. Louis = Budweiser, Milwaukee = Schlitz, Boston = Sam Adams, California = Anchor Steam...

Now that's a reason to travel!

firefighterjake
05-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Sheesh! I know what Hiram is going to do!

Colorado = Coors, just like St. Louis = Budweiser, Milwaukee = Schlitz, Boston = Sam Adams, California = Anchor Steam...

Now that's a reason to travel!

I don't know about that Bruce . . . I mean Coors . . . wouldn't that be like someone who likes drinking a Coke buying a Polar Cola or some other generic type of cola? :D

WhereRWe?
05-14-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't know about that Bruce . . . I mean Coors . . . wouldn't that be like someone who likes drinking a Coke buying a Polar Cola or some other generic type of cola? :D

No - you have to enjoy the local products when you travel. It's a part of the experience.

(Besides, you gotta have something to wash down those "Rocky mountain Oysters". :D:D)

Hiram357
05-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Well, We made it! We had a wicked fast plane coming over, what is usually a 4hr flight only took us 2hrs! We left D.C. at 8am and got here at 10am!!! We rented a car at the airport (instead of taking their shuttle service) I rented a Dodge Nitro (Jeep commander with a different sticker) :D The drive from Denver was about 2hrs. We hit two caches on the way, the first, WAS A MICRO IN A GUARDRAIL... sheesh same stuff different state...:rolleyes: The second cache was really cool, it was a virt in an old mining town!!! We took a few pictures which I'll post later tonight when I have more time. We (stef) are busy unpacking right now. The lodge room has a really cool veiw, the lake is pretty much thawed (swimming!) and it's been dusting snow since we got outta denver! (I love this place they still have winter!) The drive through them thar hills was a treat, we crossed the continental divide! (I'm now the furthest west I've ever been!)

P.S. Denver is flat... very flat, I thought ohio was flat, this makes ohio look like jackman! that's how flat it is... so flat that it's pratically imploding in on itself with flatnes... :rolleyes::D

Mainiac1957
05-14-2008, 05:25 PM
It's going to be like that going to Cal next week. I think our flight arrives before we leave.:rolleyes: Have a great time while you're there. See you when you get back. Or when I get back.:cool:

Team Richards
05-16-2008, 07:08 PM
P.S. Denver is flat... very flat, I thought ohio was flat, this makes ohio look like jackman! that's how flat it is... so flat that it's pratically imploding in on itself with flatness... :rolleyes::D

It is very flat. I was out that way a few years ago for work and I was amazed at how flat it was. I was on the twelve floor of a hotel and you could see the next state.

If you get a chance to drive up Mt Evans it is real cool, mountain goats all over the place. They had signs that said if you see someone's hair standing on end you should get to your car because lighting may be close. So I spiked up my hair and walked around.... just to see if lightning was close.

There is also a road out there I forget the highway but there is no speed limit... the signs just say "maintain safe speed".

There is a good local beer out there called Fat tire. amber but good.

coughcoorsisbaddon'tdrinkitcough

Hiram357
05-16-2008, 07:27 PM
It is very flat. I was out that way a few years ago for work and I was amazed at how flat it was. I was on the twelve floor of a hotel and you could see the next state.

If you get a chance to drive up Mt Evans it is real cool, mountain goats all over the place. They had signs that said if you see someone's hair standing on end you should get to your car because lighting may be close. So I spiked up my hair and walked around.... just to see if lightning was close.

There is also a road out there I forget the highway but there is no speed limit... the signs just say "maintain safe speed".

There is a good local beer out there called Fat tire. amber but good.

coughcoorsisbaddon'tdrinkitcough

heh, I don't think I can spike my hair, its a bit short... :D

and I don't know about that highway thing, we rented a Dodge Nitro, it's got no get up and go at all, the "nitro" is all in the name, but I was extremely impressed with how smoothly it shifts into reverse at 20mph....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

*coug*iagreewithyouaboutthecoorsbutididhavetodrink oneyesterdaytoblendinwiththelocalandittastessupris inglydifferentoutheremaybeitsjusthealtitudemessing withmyhead*cough*:D:D:D:D

dí76
05-16-2008, 08:59 PM
heh, I don't think I can spike my hair, its a bit short... :D

and I don't know about that highway thing, we rented a Dodge Nitro, it's got no get up and go at all, the "nitro" is all in the name, but I was extremely impressed with how smoothly it shifts into reverse at 20mph....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

*coug*iagreewithyouaboutthecoorsbutididhavetodrink oneyesterdaytoblendinwiththelocalandittastessupris inglydifferentoutheremaybeitsjusthealtitudemessing withmyhead*cough*:D:D:D:D

Spike Stephs hair

Mainiac1957
05-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Spike Stephs hair

I can visualize and 18 inch Mohawk.:cool::rolleyes::p:D

Sudonim
05-17-2008, 09:39 AM

Does her Mo hawk match Hirams crow?:rolleyes:

Haffy
05-17-2008, 06:34 PM

She would look like Sanjaya on American Idol last season....:D

vicbiker
05-17-2008, 07:26 PM
You know what's really amazing? ......that Haffy knows who Sanjaya is.:D

brdad
05-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Forget Sanjaya, What's American Idol? :)

Haffy
05-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Forget Sanjaya, What's American Idol? :)

You gave it away when you said that!!!!:D Let's face it you know who he is....;)

Hiram357
05-19-2008, 08:35 PM
OK here it is, the long awaited slideshow of Colorado! Complete with a fitting John Denver soundtrack! :rolleyes:;):D:D:D

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/?action=view&current=ColoradoMovie.flv

brdad
05-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Looks great. Glad you had a good time!

Mainiac1957
05-19-2008, 08:50 PM
The mottled white bird you were trying to identify is a Ptarmagin aka a snow chicken.

Haffy
05-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Great job on the video guys!!! Glad you could share it with us. Thanks

Hiram357
05-19-2008, 09:04 PM
The mottled white bird you were trying to identify is a Ptarmagin aka a snow chicken.

Yeah, thats what I thought too, but according to my Audubon book, they shouldn't be anywhere near colorado, especially at that altitude in those conditions

dí76
05-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Great photos.... but the sound track could use some work. I'm hoping Steph made you do it. :D

Hiram357
05-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Great photos.... but the sound track could use some work. I'm hoping Steph made you do it. :D

all i can say dave, is life aint nuthin but a funny funny riddle, thank God i'm a country boy :p:D;)

firefighterjake
05-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Great pics . . . looked like you had a good time . . . but what I want to know is if Steph got a picture of you like you did with her with the plywood "Annie Oakley" cut-out? ;):D

Hiram357
05-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Great pics . . . looked like you had a good time . . . but what I want to know is if Steph got a picture of you like you did with her with the plywood "Annie Oakley" cut-out? ;):D

thats a confirmed negative. :cool:

TRF
05-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Nice slide show and some nice photographs. Colorado is a gorgeous state! The bird is a winter plumed sage grouse. Ptarmigan are easily the size of a small turkey and are most often found starting in the tiaga working up toward the artic. I've hunted both and I've hunted Colorado many, many times as we had a family "bungalow" in Glenwood Springs. The "pass" on 70 can be very troubling in November. :)

You guys look to have had a great time! Thanks for sharing your photos, they came out great!

bmeserve
05-20-2008, 08:56 AM
That was an awesome slideshow! You got some great and unique pictures - I felt like I was there!!!

Of course the music helped :)

WhereRWe?
05-20-2008, 10:34 AM
OK here it is, the long awaited slideshow of Colorado! Complete with a fitting John Denver soundtrack! :rolleyes:;):D:D:D

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/?action=view&current=ColoradoMovie.flv

The pictures were great, but that soundtrack... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

firefighterjake
05-20-2008, 12:11 PM

I don't know . . . I'm more of an alternative rock/Celtic kind of guy and I actually liked the music . . . kind of set the theme for the slideshow.:D

WhereRWe?
05-20-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm more of an alternative rock/Celtic kind of guy and I actually liked the music . . .

Celtic! Yeah! Celtic Woman (http://www.celticwoman.com/)!! Haley Westenra (http://www.hayleywestenra.com/)!

Sure beat John Denver! :D:D

(Somehow I think that even Hiram would like Haley Westenra... )

Hiram357
05-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Nice slide show and some nice photographs. Colorado is a gorgeous state! The bird is a winter plumed sage grouse. Ptarmigan are easily the size of a small turkey and are most often found starting in the tiaga working up toward the artic. I've hunted both and I've hunted Colorado many, many times as we had a family "bungalow" in Glenwood Springs. The "pass" on 70 can be very troubling in November. :)

You guys look to have had a great time! Thanks for sharing your photos, they came out great!

I thought the same thing about the sage grouse, but 1 they have the big poofy chest because they inflate to make the alien sounds, and 2 look closely at the eys, at the red beneath them, I looked at a lot of pictures of sage grouse and found none with that red eyeline underneath, whereas the Rock Ptarmigans are the only ones I've found with the eyelines... perhaps they're a backwoods colorado crossbreed...?? :rolleyes::eek::confused:

Hiram357
05-20-2008, 05:21 PM

I don't know . . . I'm more of an alternative rock/Celtic kind of guy and I actually liked the music . . . kind of set the theme for the slideshow.:D

Well... I couldn't really find celtic music about colorado... But if you do happen to find some, I can make a remix just for you guys... :p:rolleyes::D

Hiram357
05-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Celtic! Yeah! Celtic Woman (http://www.celticwoman.com/)!! Haley Westenra (http://www.hayleywestenra.com/)!

Sure beat John Denver! :D:D

(Somehow I think that even Hiram would like Haley Westenra... )

oh yee of little faith bruce, ask stef, www.liveireland.com (http://www.liveireland.com) is my favorite radiostation. :D

TRF
05-20-2008, 06:07 PM
I thought the same thing about the sage grouse, but 1 they have the big poofy chest because they inflate to make the alien sounds, and 2 look closely at the eys, at the red beneath them, I looked at a lot of pictures of sage grouse and found none with that red eyeline underneath, whereas the Rock Ptarmigans are the only ones I've found with the eyelines... perhaps they're a backwoods colorado crossbreed...?? :rolleyes::eek::confused:

hehe, only the male sage grouse poof out. I think there is a type of ptarmigan out there. The striation looks a sage grouse though. The only real way to tell is to roast it and taste it...:D

WhereRWe?
05-20-2008, 06:07 PM
oh yee of little faith bruce, ask stef, www.liveireland.com (http://www.liveireland.com) is my favorite radiostation. :D

(OK, Aaron, I understand. Since Steph reads the forums, you don't want to say anything about Haley Westenra. I understand. REALLY! I understand...)

;);)

vicbiker
05-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Nice job on the slide show. Looks as though you had great time. I have taken lots of pictures in the rockies and like yours they are o.k., but no amount of pictures can capture what it feels like to be standing there humbly looking up at those mts. Blaine and I rode into Glazier park on a very foggy afternoon we couldn't see any mts at all from our campsite. When I crawled out of my tent the next morning the sun was shining brightly and the sky was as blue as it gets. If I live for another sixty years I will never forget what it felt like to look up at those mts all around us. Pedaling a bike over them is also something I won't forget real soon

Hiram357
05-20-2008, 09:19 PM
(OK, Aaron, I understand. Since Steph reads the forums, you don't want to say anything about Haley Westenra. I understand. REALLY! I understand...)

;);)

(((((yeah, she is kinda hot...))))) :D:rolleyes:

Nice job on the slide show. Looks as though you had great time. I have taken lots of pictures in the rockies and like yours they are o.k., but no amount of pictures can capture what it feels like to be standing there humbly looking up at those mts. Blaine and I rode into Glazier park on a very foggy afternoon we couldn't see any mts at all from our campsite. When I crawled out of my tent the next morning the sun was shining brightly and the sky was as blue as it gets. If I live for another sixty years I will never forget what it felt like to look up at those mts all around us. Pedaling a bike over them is also something I won't forget real soon

I agree with ya there, the thousand words a picture is worth is nowhere near enough to describe it out there. :D

Hiram357
05-21-2008, 03:51 PM
I got a response from the bird dept. at Cornell University about my bird pics, and they say that they are "White-Tail Ptarmigans" and are found at high altitudes all the way to New Mexico. :D

darterkitfox
05-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Well I got 2 pictures to download in the last 24 hours on dial-up. How many pictures are there so I know how many weeks to leave my computer running?

Hiram357
05-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Well I got 2 pictures to download in the last 24 hours on dial-up. How many pictures are there so I know how many weeks to leave my computer running?

heh, on dialup... you might as well count the rocks outside while you wait... :D

firefighterjake
05-22-2008, 07:54 AM
heh, on dialup... you might as well count the rocks outside while you wait... :D

I hate dial-up . . . but I refuse to pay close to $40 for it at home . . . which is why I usually only check out geocachingmaine.org on the weekdays at work . . . of course this is only while on break. :D;)