View Full Version : Kayak Camping Event

robt
05-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Hi Y'all,

I have been thinking about posting a Kayak Camping Event this summer and was looking to see what everyone thinks.

The first question is when. I am looking at some time in July or August. What weekend soes everyone think would be good?

Second would Be Where? My first thought was going out to Warren Island again this year but that is open.

My current thought is that I may be going out on Friday and possible going out for the entire week if anyone is interested but the event would be for the weekend.

Is there any interest in doing this again this year and what ideas on this do y'all have on this.

RobT

attroll
05-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Rob, keep in mind if we do the Slipping into Summer event it will be the weekend of the 12th of July.

Haffy
05-14-2008, 08:48 PM
I always liked the Deer island camping spot but of course I won't be attending though but that was a great camping area. Just watch out for the elephants.

robt
05-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Ric,

I am putting that date on my calender as I do not want to conflict with your event. I would hate to have to miss my own event cause I was at yours :D:D:D

Haffy,

Dear Island, how tough a paddle is that? that could be an idea if it is something that everyone could do. I figured I would post it as I wanted to get a idea of what everyone else thought.

firefighterjake
05-15-2008, 07:26 AM
I always liked the Deer island camping spot but of course I won't be attending though but that was a great camping area. Just watch out for the elephants.

Do you mean Deer Isle or Deer Island . . . for some reason I thought you folks were on Deer Isle.

Haffy
05-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Stonington where we had the 1st Kayak Kache event. It was a blast!!! Here is the archived cache page with the location. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4a2448c6-8549-43ca-a1ea-8cc83c331702

team teebow
05-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Haffy - that place looks nice. Tom wants to take his kayak on the ocean, me well, I am a big CHICKEN! What fun this could be!

robt
05-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Haffy,

Deer Isle looks like a good idea, looks like it would be fun as well as would allow others to access that do not want to camp. Definatly very high in the running.

Ok what weekend looks good for everyone?

Haffy
05-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Pedalchick enjoying some early morning solitude in a good read on the beach at the 1st kayak kache event.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/KayakKacheEvent030Medium.jpg

Some great starfish along the beach.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/KayakKacheEvent034Medium.jpg

hollora
05-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Definitely a great spot but the last event here - Group Spot #1 did not work out so well ........... I will let others speak to their concerns. Post the date and if I can come I will. the Kayak event of 2006 was the second for my daugher and I am more than memorable.

Kaching Karen
05-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Funny thing is, I'm working at Old Quarry Campground this summer. I know that campsites can be crowded. Robt, give me a call. I have another thought. I've been looking into Swan Island on the Kennebec. I would love to work with you on that. If a person doesn't kayak they will transport people over. I have the contact numbers.

Sudonim
05-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Pedalchick enjoying some early morning solitude in a good read on the beach at the 1st kayak kache event.

I remember that event well. Pedalchick and I had been dating for about three weeks at the time. We were all sitting around the campfire the night before and Tink and Cameo came up to me saying they had bad news. If I dumped pedalchick I couldn't come to any more events.:p I guess they had a good impression of my new girlfriend.
Yet another reason I married her... more event caches:D

hollora
05-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Awhhh, come on ~ you knew she was a keepa!;) And she sings really nice!:D

kayakerinme
05-16-2008, 04:03 PM
As was pointed out to me, the advantage of Old Quarry/Deer Isle is that folks who don't want to kayak can still camp, get caches, and participate in the event. This was a factor for several folks who attended the 2006 kayak event - although many of us went kayaking, others did not. I'd advocate presonally for a similar site for the event. Back in 2006 I had several suggestions for sites on both fresh and salt water before choosing Old Quarry; maybe a little searching will find that thread.

If you choose Warren Island then you are limited to those who have a means to get across the water.

If you choose Old Quarry, the lesson learned is that you must reserve Group Site #1 and Site #2. Our difficulty in 2006 was the large camper trailer that had site #2 and had us moving cars so they could get in and out. That also opens up the hill for campers as well.

As for dates, it's looking like July 26th is the only weekend I would be able to attend this event - the summer is filling up fast.Please don't let that constrain anything :)

hollora
05-16-2008, 06:05 PM
KIM has nicely summed up the problem in 2006. Also, well stated what a place like or similar to OQ/DI affords all who may attend.

Yes, the summer will be busy for all and dates are filling up fast. Post one, hold one - folks will come. It is always fun to meet new folks.

brdad
05-16-2008, 06:48 PM
We attended and event in NH ... There were two events actually. One started upstream early in the morning. Kayakers went down the river, grabbing caches along the way. The other started at noon at a downstream boat launch/picnic area, anyone was welcome, and they met the kayakers as they made it to the location and had a lunch.

We didn't have a boat that day and it was raining, but it was fun to attend the second event and meet a few NH cachers.

Team2hunt
05-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Saco River trip!!

hollora
05-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Ah - that's not a bad idea - if well planned out........oh, the possibilities!

robt
05-16-2008, 08:53 PM
All good ideas.. I am talking to Karen about Deer island but I am taking a week off so that leaves alot of possibilities as well. I have been looking at the state parks and other areas. But then I would not be oppsed to a weekend river run on another weekend but it would probally have to be fairly tame cause I do not know that I would be able to get away without Ethan for more than that week.

attroll
05-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Another option is that we could put in at Augusta boat launch below the Dam and paddle to the Gardiner boat launch. That is a nice paddle and very easy.

attroll
05-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Saco River trip!!
That is also a excellent idea.

robt
05-20-2008, 01:30 PM
That is what Karen and I have been discussing as one of the parking coordinates for the event. Figured we would put a few differnet options on how to get there as well as a way to get there without a boat so that everyone can go. I need to talk to Karen and set a date. I am also considering taking more time off and either starting a week at this point. My thought is to go camping and possible kayaking for the whole week. the most important part is that I plan on disappearing for the week. :D:D

robt
05-20-2008, 01:34 PM
That is also a excellent idea.

So many great places to go so little time. :) :) :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I need to figure out how to work less this summer :D :D :D I told my work that I was going to drop down to a 40 hour week as it is but I do not think he is going to go for much less. I did offer to go on salary and not show my face anywhere near the office, unfortunatly my Vice President decided that she would try for that herself and could not work it out so she will not let me do it. :D:D