View Full Version : Memorial Weekend Downeast

Team2hunt
05-14-2008, 03:58 PM
We are heading downeast for the long weekend. Planning on camping and caching around Campobello Island and the Lubec area. Besides the Aefuss caches are there any "must do" caches? Any long hikes?

hollora
05-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Time and Tides Wait for No Cacher (one of my overall favorites but must be timed with the tide or you will be stuck.

Starzz
05-14-2008, 04:39 PM
We are heading downeast for the long weekend. Planning on camping and caching around Campobello Island and the Lubec area.

Ohhh thanks for the warning.... must hide! HAHAHA!! j/k ;)

Just placed 10 new caches and they are now published. The Roosevelt Campobello Park provided me with everything I needed to hide those caches. A worker from there helped me hide them last week. They are all on the Roosevelt land. I hope you enjoy them! :)

Mainiac1957
05-14-2008, 04:49 PM

Just placed 10 new caches and they are now published. The Roosevelt Campobello Park provided me with everything I needed to hide those caches. A worker from there helped me hide them last week. They are all on the Roosevelt land. I hope you enjoy them! :)

Now I really really need to come to your island to cache.

al'Thor
05-14-2008, 04:58 PM
HIKING: There are no caches here but if you are looking for a great hike try the Bold Coast Trails in Cutler. The Quoddy Regional Land Trust manages some great trails called the Cobscook Trails. (Trails in 20 or so different coastal areas near Cobscook State Park owned by several different government agencies. The only problem is you need to but a booklet for maps, directions etc.) You can get one online at www.qrlt.org (http://www.qrlt.org) You could also get one at several shops on your way downeast. I got mine at True Value in Machias, but there is a whole list on thier website. I am currently in discussion with the Land Trust's director about permisson to place caches on the area that they own. He is going to raise the question to the committee and sponors and then let me know. I've got my finger's crossed.

CACHES: Time and Tide Wait for No Geocacher is simply amazing and I just don't say that because I adopted it this spring. Boot Head Cache is also a nice coastal cache. Most of my caches are inland, but if you find yourself in Machias for a few hours I think they are worth the hunt.

al'Thor
05-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Now I really really need to come to your island to cache.

I hope to cache "The Island" in the next month or two. Thanks to Starzz it is a cachers paradise.

Sudonim
05-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Boot Head Cache is very pretty.

Starzz
05-15-2008, 06:50 AM

I've heard that. Nice hiking trails there. Both times I went there is was so foggy, couldn't see a thing! I guess thats another reason to go back! :)

firefighterjake
05-15-2008, 07:23 AM

Just echoing what Andy said . . . Boot Head Cache is one of those "must do" caches that everyone should make a point to find . . . just make sure to take the extra few minutes to do the entire loop and see the vistas.

Here's my log from my find there . . . to give you an idea of what to see and expect.

---

On May 31st and June 1st I did 30 caches. Almost all of them brought me to some fantastic places with incredible scenery and awe-inspiring views . . . but this place was the best of the best. Thank you for bringing me here since I never would have ever been here if it wasn't for geocaching . . . this place rivals and surpasses Acadia National Park's trails.

4:12 p.m. My younger brother and I took the obvious trail in to the cache and found it relatively quickly. The trail we took in reminded me a lot of a hike I did near Portage, Alaska which receives as much precipitation as most rain forests and as a result it has trees covered in various types of moss -- very much like this trail to Boot Cove.

Boot Cove was a pretty nice looking beach . . . but A SPECIAL NOTE TO FUTURE GEOCACHERS take the time to do the longer route that skirts the ocean as it is worth the trip. If you geocache stricly for the numbers then by all means take the shortest route back, but if you want to see some incredible views take the longer trail.

This was without a doubt the best hike of the day with some of the best views of the rugged Maine coast I have ever seen in my entire life. Deep rocky ravines and cliffs, deep green water . . . and even a blowhole at the platform similar to Thunder Hole in Acadia (and we just happened to time it right by accident so that it was blowing out while we took a break -- in some ways it was even more impressive than Thunder Hole.)
TNLN, SL

firefighterjake
05-15-2008, 07:25 AM

10 new caches, huh? Looks like another downeast trip is in store for me . . . hey Hiram would you consider camping downeast for Memorial Day Weekend or the 7th . . . I know your aversion to Canada, but I'm telling you that you would like . . . make that love . . . Campobello Island.

firefighterjake
05-15-2008, 07:28 AM
We are heading downeast for the long weekend. Planning on camping and caching around Campobello Island and the Lubec area. Besides the Aefuss caches are there any "must do" caches? Any long hikes?

Starzz has placed a bunch of fantastic ones . . . ranging from quick grab and go caches in scenic spots to some nice hikes . . . nothing overly strenous for a fat guy like me though. You really can't go wrong with any of her caches.

darterkitfox
05-15-2008, 07:30 AM
All this talk of scenery and hikes. I thought it wasn't considered a cache unless it was in a light pole in a Wal-mart parking lot? Now you guys are talking about what I like for hunts.

Team2hunt
05-15-2008, 07:55 AM

I was there in 2006. The only thing I can remember was the roar of the pounding seas. It was just a little past dark when we found the cache.

firefighterjake
05-15-2008, 07:56 AM
I was there in 2006. The only thing I can remember was the roar of the pounding seas. It was just a little past dark when we found the cache.

In that case I would highly recommend checking this one out in the day -- and bring your camera. It really is worth a second visit.

Team2hunt
05-15-2008, 07:57 AM
HIKING: There are no caches here but if you are looking for a great hike try the Bold Coast Trails in Cutler. The Quoddy Regional Land Trust manages some great trails called the Cobscook Trails. (Trails in 20 or so different coastal areas near Cobscook State Park owned by several different government agencies. The only problem is you need to but a booklet for maps, directions etc.) You can get one online at www.qrlt.org (http://www.qrlt.org) You could also get one at several shops on your way downeast. I got mine at True Value in Machias, but there is a whole list on thier website. I am currently in discussion with the Land Trust's director about permisson to place caches on the area that they own. He is going to raise the question to the committee and sponors and then let me know. I've got my finger's crossed.

CACHES: Time and Tide Wait for No Geocacher is simply amazing and I just don't say that because I adopted it this spring. Boot Head Cache is also a nice coastal cache. Most of my caches are inland, but if you find yourself in Machias for a few hours I think they are worth the hunt.

We will be camping very nearby. ;)

Team2hunt
05-15-2008, 07:59 AM
All this talk of scenery and hikes. I thought it wasn't considered a cache unless it was in a light pole in a Wal-mart parking lot? Now you guys are talking about what I like for hunts.

And I have the proof! Didn't you visit Hacker's Hill more than once? No light poles or guardrails there. :D

Team2hunt
05-15-2008, 08:01 AM

We haven't made up our minds which day we will cross onto the island. It will probally depend upon the weather. Will you be around? If so I will PM you my cell. Both of us look forward to caching around the island. :):D

Starzz
05-15-2008, 10:18 AM
We haven't made up our minds which day we will cross onto the island. It will probally depend upon the weather. Will you be around? If so I will PM you my cell. Both of us look forward to caching around the island. :):D

I should be around. Hmm . . . cell phone service here is slim to none. We are in a poor coverage area. There is a few areas here that it will work tho.

Opalsns
05-15-2008, 11:59 AM
10 new caches, huh? Looks like another downeast trip is in store for me . . . hey Hiram would you consider camping downeast for Memorial Day Weekend or the 7th . . . I know your aversion to Canada, but I'm telling you that you would like . . . make that love . . . Campobello Island.

I think Hiram and Medawislalalalala may be too tired for a long trip when they get back. So maybe they'll feel like a short ride to CANAAN instead?????;)
Opalsns

firefighterjake
05-15-2008, 02:28 PM
I think Hiram and Medawislalalalala may be too tired for a long trip when they get back. So maybe they'll feel like a short ride to CANAAN instead?????;)
Opalsns

:D:D:D You keep on trying . . . I'll give you that . . . even tried to lure us up your way by teasing us with a cache close to home in Burnham. ;)

We'll get up thataway sooner or later . . . probably make it a day-trip . . . things should be slowing up some for me in a few weeks since we'll have our bathroom renovation/construction done and then we'll be pausing a bit before starting up on the next phase of construction . . . might be able to head your way then . . . I really do want to go up your way . . . just a matter of finding time.

Haffy
05-15-2008, 05:17 PM
:D:D:D You keep on trying . . . I'll give you that . . . even tried to lure us up your way by teasing us with a cache close to home in Burnham. ;)

We'll get up thataway sooner or later . . . probably make it a day-trip . . . things should be slowing up some for me in a few weeks since we'll have our bathroom renovation/construction done and then we'll be pausing a bit before starting up on the next phase of construction . . . might be able to head your way then . . . I really do want to go up your way . . . just a matter of finding time.

Up your Way? It sounds like it is MANY MILES away from Unity to Canaan. Is it what 10 miles as the crow flies if that?....LOL

Opalsns
05-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Up your Way? It sounds like it is MANY MILES away from Unity to Canaan. Is it what 10 miles as the crow flies if that?....LOL

And it's 5 miles from the Team Cachin' Crow cache in Burnham. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm luring him closer and closer, TEE HEE;)
Hey what do ya think of our Geocoin Backside. It's a go at Landsharkz!!!!!
Too Happy.
Opalsns

Opalsns
05-15-2008, 07:20 PM
This is the Front of our coin...

firefighterjake
05-21-2008, 09:09 AM

To get back to the original question . . . Starzz has placed a lot of fantastic caches on Campobello . . . ranging from quick grab and go caches to short hikes to some wonderfully scenic locations -- one of my favorite places to cache. . . .

Which is why you may also see me at some point this coming weekend if things work out . . . I'm hoping to finish up my bathroom on Friday (taking the day off) and then driving down Saturday or Sunday for a night or two of camping and caching . . . My plans at this point are to camp at Cobscook Bay State Park. If anyone is interested in meeting up to do some caching or would like to share a ride downeast and into Canada drop me a line.

Team2hunt
05-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Looks like there might be a few cachers staying there this long weekend. We'll be out on the point. Hope to hit the island on Saturday. OK Sue? :)

Starzz
05-21-2008, 05:15 PM
And if anyone of you don't look me up, I'll get mad! LOL ;)

If you don't have cell phone service, or don't know my number, go to the Tourist Information place. Just after the border on the right, and get them to call me! :) My aunt works there. I told her a few people might come and ask her to call me. She said that was fine!

Team2hunt
05-21-2008, 05:29 PM
And if anyone of you don't look me up, I'll get mad! LOL ;)

If you don't have cell phone service, or don't know my number, go to the Tourist Information place. Just after the border on the right, and get them to call me! :) My aunt works there. I told her a few people might come and ask her to call me. She said that was fine!

Saturday at noontime. Which cache has the nicest place to sit and enjoy a picnic lunch? That's where we will meet you and anyone else who makes the island trip this weekend.

Starzz
05-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Saturday at noontime.

Is that noontime your time... or my time?? LOL Campobello is in the Atlantic Time Zone.

There is a few picnic table at The Narrows (GCGXHR) and some at Friars Head Cache (GCJMJN). Unless you wanna feed the blackflies, I would say The Narrows would be best. Its got a good view of the water and Lubec.

Team2hunt
05-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Is that noontime your time... or my time?? LOL Campobello is in the Atlantic Time Zone.

There is a few picnic table at The Narrows (GCGXHR) and some at Friars Head Cache (GCJMJN). Unless you wanna feed the blackflies, I would say The Narrows would be best. Its got a good view of the water and Lubec.

The Narrows it is! Saturday at noon, that would be 1PM for you. Perfect! See you then. I would suggest that everyone come equipped with a picnic lunch. I'd also like to do the night cache. :cool: What time does it get dark? Atlantic time.

hollora
05-21-2008, 06:34 PM
One hour ahead of us Team2Hunt. Hee, hee. You all have a wonderful time this weekend. I will get there but this weekend just wasn't in the cards. Enjoy - and thank you Starzz for the caches.

Starzz
05-21-2008, 07:09 PM
What time does it get dark? Atlantic time.

Ohhhh.... about 30-45 minutes after the sunsets! :D Around 9:30pm Atlantic, but you should be able to do the cache before it gets too dark.

Don't forget the bug spray! :)

Starzz
05-21-2008, 07:10 PM
One hour ahead of us Team2Hunt. Hee, hee. You all have a wonderful time this weekend. I will get there but this weekend just wasn't in the cards. Enjoy - and thank you Starzz for the caches.

You are more than welcome! :) :D

Team2hunt
05-21-2008, 08:10 PM

I believe you are referring to " Happy Hour " will be one hour earlier, on the island. :rolleyes:

firefighterjake
05-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Well hopefully I may see some of you guys . . . again, all depends on how well work on the bathroom goes tomorrow. If things go well I may leave Saturday morning . . . if things don't go well I might be coming up on Sunday.

al'Thor
05-22-2008, 08:03 AM
I wish I could met up with all of you this weekend as I am close by in Machias, but it is my weekend to work. I'll be thinking of you as I'm sitting in jail. :(

Opalsns
05-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Time and Tides Wait for No Cacher (one of my overall favorites but must be timed with the tide or you will be stuck.

Hollora , was this the one you CRAWLED to???:rolleyes::p:o:)

hollora
05-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Hollora , was this the one you CRAWLED to???:rolleyes::p:o:)

Down over the bank to cross the sand bar and back up......don't you laugh. :rolleyes: Once you go do it you will understand! :eek: But the journey was well worth it! A beautiful spot for sure!:D

Cache Maine
05-23-2008, 07:08 AM
But the journey was well worth it! A beautiful spot for sure!:D

I couldn't agree more! :D

eebee
05-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi, I don't post much here yet, but just wanted to say hello, and thank you to Starzz for the great caches. Davidson 7 and I did some of them last weekend in the rain, and even then it was absolutely beautiful. We didn't get all of them, so another trip back is definitely in order. I wish we could make it this weekend to meet up with some of you, but we will be doing some caching in the Rockport and Bucksport area on our annual Memorial weekend Jeep trip. Enjoy the weekend

firefighterjake
05-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Uh Gary . . . remember this PM? I was a bit stunned when I asked the person at the gate if there was a Gary and a white SUV on Site 65 and she said no one was there . . . I thought that I either had the wrong campground or that you had packed it in early.

In fairness, dear reader, I should mention that I also came up a day late . . . and Gary's cell phone was just taking messages since there was no service . . . which reminds me . . . Gary please delete my rambling, non-sensical message that I left on your voicemail since I know I must sound like a total moron and I would hate for that to reappear on the web some day while running for President or something like that. :D

-----------------------

We will be on site 65. It's a walk on site so my white Tahoe should be parked nearby. We are planning to hit the island on Saturday morning. There's a night cache too! ;)

cell: 207-xxx-xxxx

Gary and Nikki Team2hunt and Foxgloves

----------------------------------------------

Thank goodness I ran into Frank and Sharon after eating my "lupper" near one of the Aeffus caches . . . otherwise I never would have been able to meet you guys. I had a great time chatting with you all around the fire at your campsite . . . Site 56 . . . or was it Site 55 (oh well, guess I understand why you might have made the mix-up) -- didn't realize it was so late in fact until I got back to my campsite.:D

firefighterjake
05-27-2008, 08:13 AM
Hi, I don't post much here yet, but just wanted to say hello, and thank you to Starzz for the great caches. Davidson 7 and I did some of them last weekend in the rain, and even then it was absolutely beautiful. We didn't get all of them, so another trip back is definitely in order. I wish we could make it this weekend to meet up with some of you, but we will be doing some caching in the Rockport and Bucksport area on our annual Memorial weekend Jeep trip. Enjoy the weekend

And thank you for one of the most memorable caches I have ever done . . . the Tribute cache in Pembroke . . . I absolutely loved this place . . . very quiet and very serene (except for some troublemakers in a Jeep who I ran into there ;):D . . . (that would be Parmacheenee). Honestly, this place is why I enjoy geocaching.