View Full Version : Relay For Life

EMSDanel
05-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi folks..... I have a thought. It occurs to me that many organizations or groups have a "cause" that they rally around or support. Bikers have Toys for Tots, Shriners have their burn center, Kiwanis supports pediatric trauma, etc. I'm not aware of any cause that has caught the fancy of the geocaching world but I'd like to make a suggestion. Cancer is the leading cause of death for Americans up to the age of 85. I'm a 5-year cancer survivor, there are numerous geocaching cancer survivors in Maine, and there are some who are undergoing treatment right now. I'll bet each of you knows someone who has battled cancer. Each year the American Cancer Society puts on their "Relay For Life" fund raisers (21 in Maine this year) where people get pledges, form teams, camp out at the event, and walk around a track. It's an 18 hour event and someone from each team is on the track at all times. Since there are 21 events around the state I would think there would be a Relay For Life within striking distance for most geocachers. I think it would be great to have a geocaching team at each of those Relays. Think about it....do you like to get out and walk? Do you like going to events with other geocachers? Do you like camping out? Seems to me that geocachers would be naturals for an event like this. Participating in a Relay For Life would bring us together AND would bring our sport to the attention of many other people here in Maine. There is a Relay in Ellsworth on June 13/14 and I've entered a geocaching team. If anyone would like to join in, just let me know.

brdad
05-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Lee and I have walked in the Relay For Life in Old Town the past two years as part of the Dead River team. It is a good cause. We both have had several friends battle cancer. Since Lee is not here to ask and we never can plan that far ahead, I cannot commit, but it would be great if a team large enough could be assembled.

Too bad it could not be held as a caching event as well. But rules are rules...

Maybe you could have whoever s making the current lap carry a dedicated GPS and track how many miles were walked....

al'Thor
05-16-2008, 04:03 PM
This sounds GREAT! My wife and I would love to attend but my youger brother graduates 8th grade on the 13th and my family is going camping to celebrate. Keep me in mind for next time!!!!!

Haffy
05-16-2008, 06:17 PM
I just participated in the " Relay for Life" down here about 3 weeks ago and you wouldn't believe the turnout for it. It ran for 24 hours straight at the local high school stadium and track facility and they raised over 100,000 dollars. Quite the experience!!!!

hollora
05-16-2008, 06:52 PM
I am hosting a Meet & Greet near the site on Saturday after everything winds up. There has never been an event in Ellsworth so - why not?! Here is the number GC1C9GF.

There are many reasons why this event is near and dear to me - but it doesn't matter here. If you can - support this event - that would be great. There will be some of us participating.

We would love to see lots at the Meet and Greet. EMSDanel has promised us some new caches in the area and there are already some nice ones already. Hope to see some of you there.

EMSDanel
05-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Annnnnnd......if you camp out and participate in the Relay you'd be right there for the Meet and Greet...how convenient!

vicbiker
05-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Dan sounds like a worthwhile cause.....Cheryl has to work that weekend but I'm pretty sure I can attend. How many people do we need so we aren't walking continuous day and night.

EMSDanel
05-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Most teams are 12-15 people. The track in Ellsworth is a very nice rubberized track and easy walking, but you're right, you don't want to be out there ALL the time. Most teams schedule their walkers for specific 30 or 60 minute intervals to break it up. Also, there's quite a bit of "socializing" that goes on when folks are not out on the track. Great to see you on board!

darterkitfox
05-17-2008, 08:31 AM
My wife and I did it for the local snowmobile club last year. Unfortunately, as I have had no medical insurance of my own for over a year and a half, I need to be careful with the little amount of money I have to tend my own needs and should cut back on $60 gas trips to get to places like Ellsworth. Good luck with it though.

robt
05-17-2008, 08:52 AM
I wish I could help but am allready committed to the Trek Across Maine that weekend.

Kaching Karen
05-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Okay everyone, get ready for my mass mailings for donations for the Relay for Life! My mum, my sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and I are all cancer survivors. We usually do the Relay for Life in Canada, but won't be doing it this year. Watch out Ellsworth, here I come!

EMSDanel
05-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Just another pitch to see if any of you are interested in joining our geocaching team at the Relay For Life in Ellsworth on June 13/14. Many of you know someone who has had cancer and there are many in our own geocaching community who have been affected by cancer. If you like to get out and walk, go to events, camp out with other geocachers, have a good time...and are willing to get sponsors/donations to add to our team's total...this is an event to get involved with. You'd already be in Ellsworth for the meet and greet event that Hollora has agreed to host on Saturday morning and I'm placing several new caches in Ellsworth to send in for publication during those days. To join our geocacher's team go to: http://main.acsevents.org/rflmehancock If you've never been to a Relay For Life, well, it's one of those things you never forget.

Kaching Karen
06-02-2008, 01:30 PM
To join our geocacher's team go to: http://main.acsevents.org/rflmehancock If you've never been to a Relay For Life, well, it's one of those things you never forget.

Go Maine Geocachers!

We're just under two weeks to our relay date. You can support us at the above link or join us at the relay. It looks like a lot of fun. I want to claim the PJ laps and the sports laps..... yep, all mine!
The Luminaria are beautiful and you need to take the time to walk around and read them . It was scarey to see a bag with my name on it and sad to see my Uncle Grant's. All have their own story.
Please light a candle in honor of or in memory of a friend or loved one who has had cancer. Your contribution will help save lives, give hope, and empower people through the American Cancer Society and its lifesaving mission. You can use the link above.

Track Schedule!

4:00-5:00 p.m. Bunny Lap
5:00-6:00 p.m. 50's Lap
6:00-7:00 p.m. Survivor Celebration
7:00-8:00 p.m. Team Theme Lap
8:00-9:00 p.m. Sports Lap
9:00-10:00 p.m. VIP Lap
10:00-Midnight Luminaria
12:00-1:00 a.m. Midnight Madness Lap
1:00-2:00 a.m. PJ's Lap
2:00-3:00 a.m. Cartoons/Superhero's Lap
3:00-4:00 a.m. Country Western Lap
4:00-5:00 a.m. Funky Hats Lap
5:00-6:00 a.m. Inside Out Lap
6:00-7:00 a.m. Red~White~Blue Lap
7:00-8:00 a.m. From Sea to Shining Sea and Everything in Between/Animals included Lap :)
8:00-9:00 a.m. Camp Rainbow Lap
9:00-10:00 a.m. Fight Back and Closing Ceremony!

hollora
06-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Karen - thanks for the post! I want to see your jammies - and am really looking forward to this event.

Team theme lap - well that should be easy - should we all walk around with our GPSrs or - anyone know how to make a Signal outfit? That would be very cool.

For those who are uncomfortable with doing an on line donation or who don't want to give before the event - come join us anytime from Friday afternoon through the closing ceremonies. The more the merrier! I will also have a canister available at the Meet and Greet Saturday morning.

Hope to see many of you there.

Looks like I need to pack a box of props.....and the EzEUp of course.

EMSDanel
06-02-2008, 06:34 PM
It occurs to me....we have people who will sleep on the ground in -10 degree weather ..... we should have many more people willing to camp out in "warm" weather. Aren't there any more folks out there wanting to get together? A geoevent follows immediately after the Relay at the same location. Yiyiyiyiyiyi....that's my feeble rallying call..... Gooooooo Geocachers!

Kaching Karen
06-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Gee, I might not make it to the Bunny Lap. Will Hugh Hefner be there?

I also have to leave early, but plan on walking and talking (I do have a gift for that) all night. I'll bring crazy hats, geo-t-shirts and whatever. Do we need a banner? I've made a couple throughout the years for school and a Relay for Life. Heck, I can even make a giant ammo can to decorate our site with.

Mainiac1957
06-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Team theme lap - well that should be easy - should we all walk around with our GPSrs or - anyone know how to make a Signal outfit? That would be very cool.

Kathie had a chance for me to get her pic with this Signal at GWVI.

hollora
06-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Gee, I might not make it to the Bunny Lap. Will Hugh Hefner be there?

I also have to leave early, but plan on walking and talking (I do have a gift for that) all night. I'll bring crazy hats, geo-t-shirts and whatever. Do we need a banner? I've made a couple throughout the years for school and a Relay for Life. Heck, I can even make a giant ammo can to decorate our site with.

Oh, I like the ammo can idea! You make it - I'll have an EzEUp.......:)

hollora
06-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Kathie had a chance for me to get her pic with this Signal at GWVI.

That is very cool - so like, who has the suit?

kayakerinme
06-02-2008, 10:20 PM
That is very cool - so like, who has the suit?
Suit? Signal wasn't wearing any clothes at all let alone a suit - just a big TB tag :p

hollora
06-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Upping the ante here.........anyone who donates to the team (any amount) will get a free doorprize ticket for the event (need not be present to win - email me and I will put in your ticket once your amount posts - STEPH already has one!!!!). Anyone who participates in the Relay (like come walk with us) will get a participant ticket (but you can't claim another for the event - you may not want to stay). There is a chance to get 2 tickets only. One = participation (Relay and/or event) and the other is Donation (Relay - online or through a participant by 12 N on Thursday) or at the event in the donation jar.

I will have at least one prize and based on the response there may be more - one will be the new trackable Signal figurine which was released at GW6 this year. Very cute.

Ok, everyone, Donate to relay and I may did deeper! Thanks for your support!