View Full Version : Camping Question

bmeserve
05-19-2008, 12:35 PM
I am planning a trip for a few days up in the fairfield area. No laptop. No cell phone (well except in case of emergencies). Just me and a few friends.

We are going to grab a few caches and we want to check out quaker hill disc golfing but here is my question. I know a lot of you on this board are from that general vicinity or have at least hiked through there. Do you know of any good camp grounds in the area? I looked online but I didn't get much information.

Hiram357
05-19-2008, 02:47 PM
camping in the fairfield area, would pretty much be like trying to find a campground around portland...

there are some camps around, but they're summer camps or private function kinda stuff, probably the nearest place to camp would be over towards farmington, or go up around newport area, probably your best bet would be to pull out your delorme street atlas and look at the maps that you'll be in to see if there's any campgrounds nearby where you'll be.

(you dont mean the ft fairfield area do ya???)

TRF
05-19-2008, 03:04 PM
I am planning a trip for a few days up in the fairfield area. No laptop. No cell phone (well except in case of emergencies). Just me and a few friends.

We are going to grab a few caches and we want to check out quaker hill disc golfing but here is my question. I know a lot of you on this board are from that general vicinity or have at least hiked through there. Do you know of any good camp grounds in the area? I looked online but I didn't get much information.

Are you looking for a place to set up tent or RV? Green Valley Campground in Vassalboro may be one to look at. There is another one on 3 mile pond but I don't know the name of it. Then up toward Skowhegan is Lakeview campground and Lake George. I thought there was a place on Pattee's pond that had camping, it may be out of business and it was called Giardani's or something similar to that. Hiram is probably correct in suggesting that you look in the DeLorme or even the yellow pages... Good luck

bmeserve
05-19-2008, 03:29 PM
lol No I didn't by any means mean Fort Fairfield :)

I have been looking at Green Valley as an option. I knew that finding camping in the actual town would be iffy at best. We will be tenting so I'll give lakeview and lake george a look at and see what they have to offer.

Thanks for the help. I will definitely have to go borrow a delorme to look at as mine got ruined last summer...or maybe I should just go purchase another! LOL

Thanks for the help!!! I can name 100 campgrounds basically around where I am however the goal was to get away from the city and beach/touristy area for a few days! lol

Haffy
05-19-2008, 06:44 PM
There is a good campground on the Kennebec on Rt. 2 heading out of Skowhegan on the right,can't remember the name though but you can't miss it and also a KOA campground heading out of Canaan on Rt.2 as well just a few miles north of there. I lived in Fairfield until last June when I moved down here to SC so I know a few places to camp.

Hope you do a few of my adopted caches while you are in the area too.

Mill Island Park Fairfield

Yankee Woodlot Trail Skowhegan

Perkins Stream Mystery Cache Waterville

French's Mountain Belgrade

Many more in the area by Brdad,Hiram357,Laughing Terry, all great hides by great cachers.

WhereRWe?
05-19-2008, 07:15 PM
There is a good campground on the Kennebec on Rt. 2 heading out of Skowhegan on the right,can't remember the name though but you can't miss it and also a KOA campground heading out of Canaan on Rt.2 as well just a few miles north of there.

We've never camped at this campground, but most KOA campgrounds are excellent. And this is only about 15 miles from Fairfield. We have camped at other KOA campgrounds, and they are usually excellent. I'd recommend this one.

Opalsns
05-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Both Haffy and Whererwe HIt it on the head. The KOA has little cabins and the other way in Skowhegan is the other Camp ground, both on RT 2 and they have great hook ups for campers, Pool ,free showers. You might want to look them up and call ahead; Memorial day wknd; That's when they come out of the woodwork... Oh and Haffy forgot to mention all the GREAT caches here in CANAAN. I hear OH DEER!!! is a great cache and IN THE BIRCHES, just wonderful. Heck, There are 7 caches within 3 miles of each other in CANAAN !!!!!!!
COME ON UP!!!
Opalsns and BubbaBass

Team Cachin' Crow

bmeserve
05-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks everyone! I know we plan on walking the French's Mountain Trail and probably the Brenton-Winslow Rotary Trail....

I'm kind of getting excited about planning a vacation in my own back yard! GO figure it would be more fun then out of state haha

We arn't going till June or so but I called the valley one and they are already booking up fast so she suggested I decided fairly quickly on when we are going...guess I need to get my friends on the ball then and yes we'll (or at least I) will definitely plan on grabbing some while up there! Once I know when and where I'll be looking up the GC's

:)

squirrelcache
05-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Here's a great tool for finding a campground. You can peruse the list of campgrounds in a given area, and customize a search for what amenities you desire. http://www.campmaine.com/home.php

dí76
05-19-2008, 09:35 PM
isnt there a list of most maine campsites in the delorme and there extras?

firefighterjake
05-20-2008, 07:14 AM
There is a good campground on the Kennebec on Rt. 2 heading out of Skowhegan on the right,can't remember the name though but you can't miss it and also a KOA campground heading out of Canaan on Rt.2 as well just a few miles north of there. I lived in Fairfield until last June when I moved down here to SC so I know a few places to camp.

Hope you do a few of my adopted caches while you are in the area too.

Mill Island Park Fairfield

Yankee Woodlot Trail Skowhegan

Perkins Stream Mystery Cache Waterville

French's Mountain Belgrade

Many more in the area by Brdad,Hiram357,Laughing Terry, all great hides by great cachers.

If you're in the area I would highly recommend the caches on Mill Island, the Yankee Woodlot in Skowhegan and the caches near Perkins Stream . . . haven't done French's Mt. yet, but if it's like any of the other caches I'm sure it's in a good spot.

firefighterjake
05-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Are you looking for a place to set up tent or RV? Green Valley Campground in Vassalboro may be one to look at. There is another one on 3 mile pond but I don't know the name of it. Then up toward Skowhegan is Lakeview campground and Lake George. I thought there was a place on Pattee's pond that had camping, it may be out of business and it was called Giardani's or something similar to that. Hiram is probably correct in suggesting that you look in the DeLorme or even the yellow pages... Good luck

I was thinking that Hiram should just invite him to pitch his tent at his place . . . of course it would have to be in the parking lot outside of his apartment. ;):D

firefighterjake
05-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Both Haffy and Whererwe HIt it on the head. The KOA has little cabins and the other way in Skowhegan is the other Camp ground, both on RT 2 and they have great hook ups for campers, Pool ,free showers. You might want to look them up and call ahead; Memorial day wknd; That's when they come out of the woodwork... Oh and Haffy forgot to mention all the GREAT caches here in CANAAN. I hear OH DEER!!! is a great cache and IN THE BIRCHES, just wonderful. Heck, There are 7 caches within 3 miles of each other in CANAAN !!!!!!!
COME ON UP!!!
Opalsns and BubbaBass

Team Cachin' Crow

:D:D:D And once again she gets points for trying . . . maybe this weekend . . . depends on how things go around the house and what other folks are doing . . .

Of course, Unity is also only a hop, skip and jump away from Fairfield. . . . :D

firefighterjake
05-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks everyone! I know we plan on walking the French's Mountain Trail and probably the Brenton-Winslow Rotary Trail....

I'm kind of getting excited about planning a vacation in my own back yard! GO figure it would be more fun then out of state haha

We arn't going till June or so but I called the valley one and they are already booking up fast so she suggested I decided fairly quickly on when we are going...guess I need to get my friends on the ball then and yes we'll (or at least I) will definitely plan on grabbing some while up there! Once I know when and where I'll be looking up the GC's

:)

If you have never done any caching in the Waterville Area I think you'll be pleasantly surprised . . . there are some "don't miss" caches in the area . . . but honestly most of them there are fantastic.

Nuffer
05-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Black flies are back; bring deet.

bmeserve
05-20-2008, 08:48 AM
If you have never done any caching in the Waterville Area I think you'll be pleasantly surprised . . . there are some "don't miss" caches in the area . . . but honestly most of them there are fantastic.

I haven't I only have 4 under my belt and one is a virtual haha I'm still a newbie. I'm going out this weekend though. Especially on Monday I'm going out in the am then hitting up the Sea Dogs game then going back out at night probably ... I got my list of ones in the greater portland area I want to grab. ;)

firefighterjake
05-20-2008, 12:14 PM
I haven't I only have 4 under my belt and one is a virtual haha I'm still a newbie. I'm going out this weekend though. Especially on Monday I'm going out in the am then hitting up the Sea Dogs game then going back out at night probably ... I got my list of ones in the greater portland area I want to grab. ;)

In that case you should like the Waterville Area . . . lots of caches in the area and they bring you to some really nice places. While they may prove frustrating you really should try some of Laughing Terry's "Plain Sight" caches in the area (they bring you to some nice spots and can be quite challenging) and Ol' 470 is a must -- although many of us have had to return back to Ol' 470 . . . some of us more often than others! ;):D

Hiram357
05-20-2008, 05:32 PM
In that case you should like the Waterville Area . . . lots of caches in the area and they bring you to some really nice places. While they may prove frustrating you really should try some of Laughing Terry's "Plain Sight" caches in the area (they bring you to some nice spots and can be quite challenging) and Ol' 470 is a must -- although many of us have had to return back to Ol' 470 . . . some of us more often than others! ;):D

Ol' 470... bad memories... searching.. *shudders* getting... dark... *passes out* :rolleyes:

Heh, the Ol' 470 was my first cache, I live within walking distance, and walked back and forth about 5 times in one day... I would go there, then go home and look at the page, go back, look at clue and pics, go back, bring stef, go back.. ect ect... (lol, my first mistake was going there and saying "how hard can this be...") although it is extremely obvious, it's just about invisible given it's location. I actually brought a freind new to caching there a year or so ago, and he had to DNF it because even with my help, we couldnt find it. (It likes to move around....) :D