View Full Version : RE: OK, I'll be the first to ask . . .

firefighterjake
05-28-2008, 01:13 PM
What happened to the site? I went to the site this a.m. for my daily fix -- I mean to check in with folks and I found a banner proclaiming that I was banned for life or something to that effect -- figured I had finally overstepped the prim and proper boundaries with my tale of the two lovers . . . at least until I called Hollora and she said that she also was experiencing some issues . . . well, I mean to say, the website was down for her as well. ;):D

Kacky
05-28-2008, 01:24 PM
The story was too exciting and the internet just couldn't handle it. Between the icky PDA couple and whatever might have been hitching a ride on you after all that bushwacking, I had to take a shower after I read it!

Sudonim
05-28-2008, 01:37 PM
I haven't talked to Rick, but I suspect that we have enough people visiting that we are bumping up against the bandwidth limits and Rick is pitching in to raise the limits when it happens. It was out yesterday morning too. Hope we can get some coin raised for the auction coin.

firefighterjake
05-28-2008, 01:41 PM
The story was too exciting and the internet just couldn't handle it. Between the icky PDA couple and whatever might have been hitching a ride on you after all that bushwacking, I had to take a shower after I read it!

Geez . . . now I feel dirty. ;):D

brdad
05-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Rick sent me a quick email stating the suspended account issue was the result of a misunderstanding while fixing some server issues.

However, we do need to do our part to help this site stay up and pay it's own way. I think this site is a great service to the community and a nice place for us to share our ideas. Donations are always welcome, and if anyone has an idea on how to otherwise help raise funds, speak up!

Hiram357
05-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Rick sent me a quick email stating the suspended account issue was the result of a misunderstanding while fixing some server issues.

However, we do need to do our part to help this site stay up and pay it's own way. I think this site is a great service to the community and a nice place for us to share our ideas. Donations are always welcome, and if anyone has an idea on how to otherwise help raise funds, speak up!

Didn't we try and do this a few months ago, and rick told us that there was no need to do so?

brdad
05-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Didn't we try and do this a few months ago, and rick told us that there was no need to do so?

I think he was saying there hopefully is no need to place out site on it's own servers, which would be expensive, we should still pay our share for the space and bandwidth where we are now.

Hiram357
05-28-2008, 03:36 PM
I think he was saying there hopefully is no need to place out site on it's own servers, which would be expensive, we should still pay our share for the space and bandwidth where we are now.

yeah, but rick said that there's no need to do that,

Final note on this. I am going to leave the bandwidth at what it is now. If we reach the limit it is set at now then we are going to have to work on something. It is set above what it was. When we reach it then everyone will know... and that he was making ends meet with what he had from donations, and he hasn't posted yet that he needs anything. and from his other post on the last thread about this topic..

One of my concerns was about getting to many people sponsoring the web site and raising more then $500 per year. As I said I am not running the web site to make money. With much thought I have come to the conclusion that if we make more then the allotted $500 that we want then I will keep it in the account I have and it will be used for some of the other things that I have been paying for out of my pocket for the web site and some other things I have been working on for the web site and its promotion. I can report to the board members if there is any ammount over what we are trying to raise here and we can decide what to do with it.

I'm sure that if he needs, he will ask, and we shall respond, but I think that before we hit the panic button and flood Rick with our concerns, I think we should wait and see what he has to say about the situation

brdad
05-28-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm sure that if he needs, he will ask, and we shall respond, but I think that before we hit the panic button and flood Rick with our concerns, I think we should wait and see what he has to say about the situation

I'm not trying to flood the site with panic, I'm trying to get a few people to donate! Whether Rick is getting by or not, a few extra bucks is never a bad thing!

Opalsns
05-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I get irritated when I try to log on and can't. I also thought My account was suspended. I emailed Cache Maine and they let me know it was everyone that couldn't log on. For 3 days I got the BANDWIDTH issue and then the canceled account. I don't understand what all that means but if it's a $$$ issue ........
JUST DONATE PEOPLE .... IT's 1 gallon of gas, 1 pack of cigarettes, 1 six pack. If we can't give up $5.00 to help keep this site UP and RUNNING on a Daily basis, Then how can we afford to cache ????? We get people spamming on here for FREE, and Insulting FFJ for free . If they had to be a donating member they couldn't bud in just to spam, etc....
I don't want to piss anyone off,... again, but think about it, IT"S AN ISSUE THAT NEEDS TO BE TAKEN CARE OF !!!!!
LOVE,
Opalsns

Opalsns
05-28-2008, 04:49 PM

and that he was making ends meet with what he had from donations, and he hasn't posted yet that he needs anything. and from his other post on the last thread about this topic..

All things considered, does he HAVE to ask ???????;):rolleyes:;)

Hiram357
05-28-2008, 04:57 PM
All things considered, does he HAVE to ask ???????;):rolleyes:;)

he's made it clear in the past when we've tried to give, that when he needs it, he'll ask for it.

Opalsns
05-28-2008, 05:07 PM
he's made it clear in the past when we've tried to give, that when he needs it, he'll ask for it.

Your already a donating member!!! And Medaweislalalalala does all the monthly paperwork for the news letter!!!!
What I'm talking about is BECOMING a donating member!!!
Your already there Bub!!!!!!!:D

brdad
05-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Calm down people. It's nice for people to donate, but we don't need to scream and holler at everyone that doesn't. There is a donation button on the front page who don't want to wait to be asked.

d’76
05-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Before we freak out we havent heard from Rick to let us know what is up. I to am flustered about not being able to log on, it's a fluke that I made it this time. I would like to think that it is a software issue and not a money issue. If it is a software issue Rick will be on top of it just like any other time. So give him a chance. If its a money issue we have screwed up again!. The donation thing has never worked. There is nothing I would love more then to have to be a paying member to post in the forumns.(well except for hot tubing with the dallas cowboy cheerleaders). I think that 5 or 10 dollars is a bit low to use the site. So, again if its a money issue lets up the donations.

d’76
05-28-2008, 07:11 PM
I would like to ask a question about the bandwidth issue.

Is the bandwidth issue meaning that to many folks are logged on to GCmaine? So while it appears to be down for me is it working for someone else?

hollora
05-28-2008, 08:09 PM
I would like to ask a question about the bandwidth issue.

Is the bandwidth issue meaning that to many folks are logged on to GCmaine? So while it appears to be down for me is it working for someone else?

No...and I got the suspension notice with others too.

vicbiker
05-28-2008, 08:43 PM
I thought for sure when the site wouldn't work that it had something to do with FFJ's story. I was afraid we might all have our computers confiscated for just reading this type of story. I immediately deleted everything in my hard drive, just in case. I can't get the image of a firefighter wearing only his helmet and boots running through the woods spying on teen love.:D:D:D

attroll
05-29-2008, 01:55 AM
It started out as someone mentioned. We exceeded our bandwidth again. I have been bumping the bandwidth up every month. I found another issue with the server during the bandwidth problem and asked my support team to fix it and there was a misunderstanding and the suspended it. I resolved that but the bandwidth is still issue that is interfering with what I am working on with the support team.

Please bear with me. I am going to increase the bandwidth once again but I have to resolve the other problem first.

attroll
05-29-2008, 02:01 AM

and that he was making ends meet with what he had from donations, and he hasn't posted yet that he needs anything. and from his other post on the last thread about this topic..

I said there was no need because I just got tired of trying to explain myself and the usage and all that stuff and got frustrated. I set the bandwidth higher last month to a limit I did not think we would reach and we did reach it. When I posted that message last month my intention was to let it go and if we reach the limit I was going to leave the site down until it reset at the first of the month. Other things threw a loop in that and I am working on those things now. As I said I will raise the limit one more time and see what happens.

Hiram357
05-29-2008, 08:01 AM
I said there was no need because I just got tired of trying to explain myself and the usage and all that stuff and got frustrated. I set the bandwidth higher last month to a limit I did not think we would reach and we did reach it. When I posted that message last month my intention was to let it go and if we reach the limit I was going to leave the site down until it reset at the first of the month. Other things threw a loop in that and I am working on those things now. As I said I will raise the limit one more time and see what happens.

So do you think we should start collecting yet? I think you mentioned before about puting GCM on it's own server but it would be costly, somthing to look into?

firefighterjake
05-29-2008, 08:21 AM
I thought for sure when the site wouldn't work that it had something to do with FFJ's story. I was afraid we might all have our computers confiscated for just reading this type of story. I immediately deleted everything in my hard drive, just in case. . . .

That's not enough Vic . . . you need to do more than just delete your harddrive to make sure this issue doesn't pop up again. Just follow friendly Firefighterjake's Home Computer Repair Advice and I can guarantee you'll never have problems again with that computer.

1. Go into the shop and grab a 5 lb. ballpeen hammer. Note: If you do not have a 5 lb. ballpeen hammer you can also use a sledgehammer or wrecking bar.

2. Gingerly pop open the case to your harddrive by whacking the case a few times with the hammer . . . if this doesn't work use the wrecking bar to pry it open.

3. Locate the harddrive . . . hit repeatedly with the hammer until the harddrive has been rendered into small pieces of plastic and metal about the size of a pencap.

4. For added insurance . . . repeat Steps 1-3 with the monitor and keyboard.

:D;)

firefighterjake
05-29-2008, 08:22 AM
. . .. I can't get the image of a firefighter wearing only his helmet and boots running through the woods spying on teen love.:D:D:D

. . . and don't forget my hose! :eek::D;)

Mainiac1957
05-29-2008, 09:05 AM
. . . and don't forget my hose! :eek::D;)

I just woke up and what an image I now have in my head.:eek:

firefighterjake
05-29-2008, 10:00 AM
I just woke up and what an image I now have in my head.:eek:

Traumatizing one geocacher at a time since 2005 . . . that's my motto! ;):D

robt
05-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Acctually there is a better fix, Remove the cover off you fuse box and swap the 2nd hot leg with the ground and it will fix every electronic device in your houre at the same time.... Really speeds things up :D:D:D

Hiram357
05-29-2008, 03:15 PM
WOO HOO!! I DIDN'T DERAIL THE THREAD!!! :rolleyes::p:D:D;)

squirrelcache
05-29-2008, 04:52 PM
It's noble to provide a resource for everyone that loves geocaching, w/out discriminating for motivational or financial reasons. Isn't it a bit unreasonable to expect it to be done on a budget operation? With the growth our State alone has seen in the hobby, it's only a matter of time before something drastic and permanent will have to done. The passion, activity level and integrity of most here will continue to grow the bandwidth needs!! Let's continue to encourage and remind others of the importance for the ridiculously low donation. :)

It started out as someone mentioned. We exceeded our bandwidth again. I have been bumping the bandwidth up every month. I found another issue with the server during the bandwidth problem and asked my support team to fix it and there was a misunderstanding and the suspended it. I resolved that but the bandwidth is still issue that is interfering with what I am working on with the support team.

Please bear with me. I am going to increase the bandwidth once again but I have to resolve the other problem first.

Opalsns
05-29-2008, 05:38 PM
It's noble to provide a resource for everyone that loves geocaching, w/out discriminating for motivational or financial reasons. Isn't it a bit unreasonable to expect it to be done on a budget operation? With the growth our State alone has seen in the hobby, it's only a matter of time before something drastic and permanent will have to done. The passion, activity level and integrity of most here will continue to grow the bandwidth needs!! Let's continue to encourage and remind others of the importance for the ridiculously low donation. :)

HERE, HERE!!!!!!!!!:p:p:p

d’76
05-29-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm starting to grow partial to my new home page that says bandwidth exceeded. LOL:D

vicbiker
05-29-2008, 10:26 PM
. . . and don't forget my hose! :eek::D;)That was a classic Jake!!!

attroll
05-29-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm starting to grow partial to my new home page that says bandwidth exceeded. LOL:D
Sorry Dave. I am working on it. I can increase the bandwidth and stop this from happening right now but the issue is that when the bandwidth is exceeded there are other errors that also come into play. It is really hard to explain but I need this to continue so that I can troubleshoot the error. They work hand in hand. I only have until the first of the month to figure this out because on the first of the month the bandwidth gets set to zero again and then I will have to wait till the end of next month to troubleshoot it again if we reach our bandwidth issue. I would rather deal with the problems not and fix them for good and never have to deal with them again.

Sorry

attroll
05-31-2008, 11:35 PM
I got a few calls today asking what was going on with the web site. They were concerned that we needed more money to keep it up and going.

I can assure you that this was not done to try and get more money from anyone. As I said previously we did run out of bandwidth but when we did this brought up a server issue that we had not know about and in order to troubleshoot it we had to keep the bandwidth so that it was exceeded to find the problem. We are still working on it and hoping we can get it resolved by midnight tonight (Saturday). Whether we get it resolved or not I promise the site will be back online Sunday.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I know some of you may be having withdrawals.

Haffy
06-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Sure glad to see the site up and running this morning. Hope you have all the kinks worked out Rick. I checked it out all day yesterday and it was still off when I retired for the night. WELCOME BACK!!!

Hiram357
06-01-2008, 06:16 PM
I know some of you may be having withdrawals.

*twitching*who???... us...???? *twitch*:rolleyes:;):D