View Full Version : cheapest way to get into trackables?

daddydaughterday
06-01-2008, 07:48 PM
so, I've looked around and it seems like all the trackables are pretty expensive, plus then you still have to pay groundspeak to register the item for the tracking feature.

so what's the dealio? mint it yerself and track on your own personal website? any hints on making/registering on the cheap?

sorry to ask such a neo-cacher ??

attroll
06-01-2008, 11:02 PM
You can create your own item and attach a Travel Bug Tag to it and use that as a trackable.

WhereRWe?
06-02-2008, 07:59 AM
I agree with Attroll.

To make a trackable, you at least have to attach a travel bug tag, which costs about $6 a set - cheaper if you buy 4 or more. And the travel bug itself can be nearly anything - something you already have around the house.

Sudonim
06-02-2008, 08:58 AM
I agree with Attroll.

To make a trackable, you at least have to attach a travel bug tag, which costs about $6 a set - cheaper if you buy 4 or more. And the travel bug itself can be nearly anything - something you already have around the house.

Heck, you can even use a cinderblock:p

hide_from_the_kids
06-02-2008, 09:21 AM
if i ever came out of the woods with a cinder block tb my wife would think i was crazy. i do know of a bowling ball used as one. we just recently bought some and it is cheaper to buy more then just one we also bought some coins as well. we attached one of our youngest's toys to it.(a small train engine that is no bigger then a matchbox car) some people also put unactivated tags in new caches as a first to find prize. maybe you could find one that way

WhereRWe?
06-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Heck, you can even use a cinderblock:p

Sheesh! "Cindy (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=27797)" hasn't been heard of since October of last year. I hope she isn't in the wall of someone's house... :eek::eek:

WhereRWe?
06-02-2008, 11:27 AM
if i ever came out of the woods with a cinder block tb my wife would think i was crazy.

Well, BRDAD kept "Cindy" long enough to glue one of his signature picture marbles to the top! LOL! And we relocated "Cindy" from Maine to New Hampshire one time. Passed it off to a well-known NH cacher named Cindy, too!

attroll
06-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Sheesh! "Cindy (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=27797)" hasn't been heard of since October of last year. I hope she isn't in the wall of someone's house... :eek::eek:
The cache that Cindy is at has been archived. It looks like Cindy is in her final resting spot unless someone goes to retrieve her.

robt
06-02-2008, 01:30 PM
:D:DHmm she was at an event cache. I hope she shows up soon, we need to find sone down that way to mount a rescue mission. Where is haffy? :D:D

kayaking loon
06-02-2008, 04:59 PM
I found a TB this week that had a tag that I think is free. Go to http://www.travelertags.com The rubber chicken I found, named "Dinner" had been over 4,000 miles. So buy or make something inexpensive and attach one of those tags. It's worth a try!:)

hollora
06-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Kayaking loon - thanks for pointing out that site. You are correct. Those tags are free and are trackable on the Traveler Tag page. I put a few of those out when I first started and they traveled a bit. Most have gone MIA for a while - but never give up hope.

These are worth a try and little is invested except to print the tag, laminate it and attach it to your item.

Team2hunt
06-02-2008, 08:05 PM
The cache that Cindy is at has been archived. It looks like Cindy is in her final resting spot unless someone goes to retrieve her.

Oh...TOM!! :eek:

WhereRWe?
06-03-2008, 01:46 PM

Well, that was an event, not an actual cache, so somebody probably has "Cindy" in their possession...

Haffy
06-03-2008, 04:41 PM
I put out a feeler about Cindy down here in one of the NC forums and am waiting for a reply to see if anyone knows it's whereabouts.

daddydaughterday
06-07-2008, 10:31 AM
thanks for the link to the free make your own tracking sit, that's exactly what I was hoping existed out there somewhere on the net.

WhereRWe?
06-07-2008, 10:36 AM
I put out a feeler about Cindy down here in one of the NC forums and am waiting for a reply to see if anyone knows it's whereabouts.

Admit it, Haffy - YOU'VE GOT CINDY!!! :eek::eek:

Haffy
06-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Actually I wish, I did but alas I did get a reply back from the last cache page owner and he mentioned that it was sitting at a cache in the park where the event took place. He said if someone doesn't log it in, then he would eventually try to get it back out into circulation.

WhereRWe?
06-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Actually I wish, I did but alas I did get a reply back from the last cache page owner and he mentioned that it was sitting at a cache in the park where the event took place. He said if someone doesn't log it in, then he would eventually try to get it back out into circulation.

Well, sheesh! Go get it! That little 2-cylinder hot rod of yours doesn't use much gas! :p:p