View Full Version : kid friendly?

hide_from_the_kids
06-03-2008, 01:48 PM
As we head out caching we have found that the caches are getting few between for the kids to enjoy. As I pull into a guardrail I hear one of our kids ask "is this a kid one? I want a kid one!". I enjoy doing all caches, for the most part they are atleast unique but what about some that are for the kids to enjoy? Now i have be thinking of placing some new caches that are really out there for the kids, maybe some large caches, because i know how excited they get looking through the swag. So how about creating a kid friendly type challenge for placing some caches they will enjoy.

WhereRWe?
06-03-2008, 01:55 PM
As we head out caching we have found that the caches are getting few between for the kids to enjoy. As I pull into a guardrail I hear one of our kids ask "is this a kid one? I want a kid one!". I enjoy doing all caches, for the most part they are atleast unique but what about some that are for the kids to enjoy? Now i have be thinking of placing some new caches that are really out there for the kids, maybe some large caches, because i know how excited they get looking through the swag. So how about creating a kid friendly type challenge for placing some caches they will enjoy.

Sheesh! "Kid friendly"? Even some of us "big kids" enjoy pawing through a box of swag! :D:D (It's even getting hard to find a container big enough to get a TB tag into!)

hide_from_the_kids
06-03-2008, 02:01 PM
we can even get the big kids included. whats your favorite type of swag?

balinda
06-03-2008, 02:03 PM
My son made me promise no micros the last time we were out caching and it was really hard because we were in Lewiston. I found enough that weren't micros but I had to drive by some micros. It was his day so I did it.

I would love to get some ideas for placing more kids friendly caches. The kids don't neccessarily want something that is too easy to find but the really big caches can be hard to hide. They have a high muggle detection level.

WhereRWe?
06-03-2008, 04:34 PM
we can even get the big kids included. whats your favorite type of swag?

Unscratched lottery tickets! LOL!

WhereRWe?
06-03-2008, 04:37 PM
I would love to get some ideas for placing more kids friendly caches. The kids don't neccessarily want something that is too easy to find but the really big caches can be hard to hide. They have a high muggle detection level.

Caches don't have to be hard to find. Usually, even little kids can find a cache hidden under a big pile of sticks. Just find a place where there won;t be any muggles...

I think the hardest type of kid friendly location RULOST2? and I have encountered is the cache at the covered bridge. There are usually so many rocks a cache could be behind... It really give the kids a workout.

hollora
06-03-2008, 05:30 PM
It is my hope to keep the caches at Hirundo, big and little kid friendly. BUT the black flies and mosquitos need to go first.......they are NOT friendly (as recent finders have noted)!

Wait until the bugs are gone and these caches, for the most part, will be containers which can contain swag. The first one is a Letterbox hybrid so there is an opportunity to teach kids about letterboxing too. The goal is to also put some out for finding in the winter on snowshoes this winter (no bugs then!).

Opalsns
06-03-2008, 06:06 PM
All the caches here in CANAAN, are kid friendly and beginer friendly. They are all in great locations and good coords. OH DEER!!!!! is especially kid friendly.( just check out the logs.) This whole geocaching started as a TREASURE HUNT.Big and Little kids love treasure!!!! Micros are more about the numbers.
OH DEER!!!! ... Lil' Green Cache .... Mummamea ... Way down in the hollow tree ... IN THE BIRCHES ... Slab City and then on to Skowhegan for about 10 more!!!!!!
Opalsns

brdad
06-03-2008, 06:28 PM
I agree, even though I don't often take anything from a cache besides sig items, the anticipation of what others have left in caches is great. It makes me feel good about the game when you find a cache full of stuff that someone else may enjoy, especially kids.

To me, kid friendly would mean more than it's safe - if you can consider any guardrail or electrified lamp post safe. If it was up to me to be what defined kid friendly, it would probably be up to .75 mile round trip of relatively safe terrain (and away from traffic and electrical wires) and a mid to large size container, and fun.

Lee and I took my honorary niece and nephew to a few caches in the Trenton area a few weeks ago. We were pleased to see some full size containers and uniquely hidden caches which were easy enough for the kids. We found caches by Ems Daniel, parmachenee, hardwareman, and gilleygirl and the GeoKids. kudos to them for hiding caches suitable and enjoyable for kids.

Lee's new cache is kid friendly as well, was designed to be fun, and takes long enough so you're not taking more time getting the kids in and out of the car than it does to log the cache. And maybe little kids might spot stage 3 faster than the big kids?

Katadin Goddess
06-03-2008, 10:22 PM
do a pocket query of the general area you would like to cache in, request the ones that have the bigger containers as those tend to have the trades in them and can avoid the micros. also, its a great way to filter out what you want in gsak.

EMSDanel
06-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Please bring them up to my Geo Zoo.......not for the swag inside, but for the kid friendly animals, easy finds, and general learning environment to teach them about geocaching and how to use a GPS. The zoo was intended to introduce people to geocaching and we'd love to have you come up with your family.

hollora
06-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Dan has prepared a day long experience for the family. Combine that, after bug season, with a few of the other caches in Orrington (3 of which are on public lands with picnic tables) and you have a wonderful, fun filled, day of caching within the town. Thank you Dan for putting out this wonderful series.

hide_from_the_kids
06-04-2008, 07:35 AM
we will be doing the geo zoo at some point this summer and we look forward to it. now according to this web site for maine geocaching stats there is only 22 containers marked as LARGE there are many more regular size but i think the idea i had was to get more people to place a few more large sized containers for the kids (big kids or small kids).

Border Jumper
06-04-2008, 08:22 AM
I will be placing New Kid friendly caches in the Calais ME./St. Stephen N.B. area over the next few weeks. I would have them out there now but the Weather hasn't cooperated with my days off. I hope to have the first one out and published by this weekend. It wil be a 2 part multi cache in Calais.:D

brdad
06-04-2008, 08:45 AM
we will be doing the geo zoo at some point this summer and we look forward to it. now according to this web site for maine geocaching stats there is only 22 containers marked as LARGE there are many more regular size but i think the idea i had was to get more people to place a few more large sized containers for the kids (big kids or small kids).

22 is the correct number. Of those, 4 have been archived. Only 12 of those are less than a 2.5 terrain. So that's not many large containers for the kids. Conversely, there are 835 micros in Maine. A slight imbalance there!

Opalsns
06-04-2008, 11:56 AM
I forgot to mention the other cache in Canaan that's awesome...
BEANIE BABY CACHE ... easy and for KIDS!!!!!!!!! You gotta head this way sometime.
Opalsns

hollora
06-04-2008, 12:08 PM
It's only seasonal but next year - a must do for kids = Gob-ler's Christmas Cache......now that's big!

WhereRWe?
06-04-2008, 04:50 PM
22 is the correct number. Of those, 4 have been archived. Only 12 of those are less than a 2.5 terrain. So that's not many large containers for the kids. Conversely, there are 835 micros in Maine. A slight imbalance there!

But a lot of those "regular" caches are pretty big. If you've done Laughing Terry's Jackson Pond Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=04f01743-0efc-4000-a54e-99361b1a4e64), you'll know that this "regular cache" is BIG, and filled with goodies. (Definitely "kid friendly") :D:D

hollora
06-04-2008, 06:19 PM
OMGosh WhereRWe? - you are so very right about Laughing Terry's JPC.......that one is so MUCH fun!!! And huge! What a fun cache.

And then - of a similar size but not hidden the same way is The Relic - by Cache Maine..........that one is one of the largest (for an Ammo Box) I have seen in a container, too.

Oh - another which is nice is Gift Giver by Quilting Mike & Mom but in the University Forest. You have to go prepared to swap a wrapped gift.

Mainiac1957
06-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Oh - another which is nice is Gift Giver by Quilting Mike & Mom but in the University Forest. You have to go prepared to swap a wrapped gift.

Yes The Gift-Giver (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6b2c84ea-443d-455a-a7b3-6263795db7ad) (GC16WRP) by Quilting mom and MIke (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=740469) (1.5/2) is a great cache for kids. However LA Mike doesn't quilt.:rolleyes::eek::D:p;):cool:

brdad
06-04-2008, 07:08 PM
But a lot of those "regular" caches are pretty big. If you've done Laughing Terry's Jackson Pond Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=04f01743-0efc-4000-a54e-99361b1a4e64), you'll know that this "regular cache" is BIG, and filled with goodies. (Definitely "kid friendly") :D:D

OK, I'll spot you 50 caches that might be listed as regular but are large. Now our ratio is much better, 62:835! ;)

The Gift Giver cache was a great idea, and a great size!

Gob-ler
06-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Every Christmas time for the last several years I have done a very kid friendly cache in the Lewiston/Auburn area. Christmas Stash. It's a foot locker sized container and full of kid friendly stuff. Maybe even something for the big kids.

Look for it next year.

hollora
06-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Yes The Gift-Giver (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6b2c84ea-443d-455a-a7b3-6263795db7ad) (GC16WRP) by Quilting mom and MIke (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=740469) (1.5/2) is a great cache for kids. However LA Mike doesn't quilt.:rolleyes::eek::D:p;):cool:

Dyslexic - did I ever tell you - I have a problem LOL!!!!:eek::D;)

hollora
06-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Every Christmas time for the last several years I have done a very kid friendly cache in the Lewiston/Auburn area. Christmas Stash. It's a foot locker sized container and full of kid friendly stuff. Maybe even something for the big kids.

Look for it next year.

As I believe I stated, one of my Grandchild's favorite toys which she chose at a young tender age came from this cache. I don't think her Mom will ever part with that Fisher Price Puppy dog which talks - constantly!

Thank you Gob-ler for this very special seasonal cache!

Kacky
06-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Those are fun. I actually have a micro that kids would like, A.B.C. in Auburn. The gas-saver in Minot at the Pitts mine has 3 good sized caches for the kiddos and a fun micro for the big kiddos, and rock-hunting fun to boot. But wear your head net this time of year, and pull your socks up over your pants too!

hollora
06-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Kacky - ah, yes, ABC - that is definitely a kid fun cache:)............haven't done the Pitts Mine:( but thanks for the hint on the net......and probably needed in many areas this time of year here in our state.;)

team moxiepup
06-05-2008, 02:23 AM

We enjoyed the Gift Giver cache. Check out the gallery picture for this one. Moxie really got into this cache :D

darterkitfox
06-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Is ABC subscriber only? I don't remember doing it.

hide_from_the_kids
06-05-2008, 08:03 AM
All the caches mentioned here are nice caches. Some we have done and some are on our list to do. When we go on a run we try to have a mix of caches to do for the whole family. By doing this we end up with maybe two or three on our list on a route that are big enough for trading. Its fun for me but the kids lose interest quickly after those few caches are done. It usually looks like this: micro, micro, small, micro, micro, regular, small, micro, micro, micro, micro, small, micro. Like I said I enjoy all caches I just wish there were more large ones for the kids. Areas are saturated with micros and small caches it makes it hard to do a route to keep the kids happy without going a hundred miles round trip. :(

kayaking loon
06-05-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm one of the big kids. I like BIG caches too and I love to look through everything. I especially like signature items or something that fits the "locale" like finding a moose "something" in a cache at a moose bog. Most of mine are at least big enough to trade. Are you coming to Eustis for the September event? I think the kids would be happy here, woods and swag.:)

hide_from_the_kids
06-05-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm one of the big kids. I like BIG caches too and I love to look through everything. I especially like signature items or something that fits the "locale" like finding a moose "something" in a cache at a moose bog. Most of mine are at least big enough to trade. Are you coming to Eustis for the September event? I think the kids would be happy here, woods and swag.:)
THAT WOULD DEPEND ON SCHEDULES. SCHOOL IS BACK IN AT THAT POINT WHICH MAKES FOR A LONG WEEK AND I ALREADY TOOK MY VACATION.:(

EvilHomer
06-05-2008, 10:14 AM
I wonder if the lack of LARGE caches is due to the lack of LARGE watertight containers. I have seen a few large containers that are those 5 gallon buckets which are ok, but most people dont seem to know how to re-seal them the right way. I have seen a few very wet caches because of this. I have one LARGE container that is a LARGE hard plastic 25MM Ammo/mortar round container for my MOOSE COUNTRY CACHE. It seals like a regular ammo can. If more of these were available I think more large caches might pop up. But unless I could find a good large container I would stick to the 50. cal cans as they can hold a good amount.

Opalsns
06-05-2008, 10:22 AM
All the caches mentioned here are nice caches. Some we have done and some are on our list to do. When we go on a run we try to have a mix of caches to do for the whole family. By doing this we end up with maybe two or three on our list on a route that are big enough for trading. Its fun for me but the kids lose interest quickly after those few caches are done. It usually looks like this: micro, micro, small, micro, micro, regular, small, micro, micro, micro, micro, small, micro. Like I said I enjoy all caches I just wish there were more large ones for the kids. Areas are saturated with micros and small caches it makes it hard to do a route to keep the kids happy without going a hundred miles round trip. :(

CANAAN, MAINE 04924 :p

TRF
06-05-2008, 10:37 AM

Canaan,,hmm, Canaan,,,,,,,hmmmmmmm,,,,seems I've heard of that mentioned before. Are there any caches there?:D:D

hide_from_the_kids
06-05-2008, 12:18 PM

in some cases as i pass through i grab a cache here and there when we head that way we will be sure to do some. we would love to see more large ones placed, not just in your area but across the state. if some one wants to help start a series for the kids i can get the five gallon buckets.

brdad
06-05-2008, 02:56 PM
You can usually get the extra large ammo boxes at the army surplus stores for... hmmm, $10 more or less, IIRC.

I think people hide the micros as opposed to large because the containers cost less, often free, and it takes much less imagination to hide one than a large container (Don't take that wrong - there are plenty of micros hidden with much imagination). When hiding something larger than the standard ammo boxes, it takes a fair amount of effort to choose a location that won't get easily muggled.

I love to see extra effort involved in a cache regardless of size.

darterkitfox
06-06-2008, 08:13 AM
I actually looked up Canaan as a possibility for this weekends caching trip but after reading all the logs, they seem a little to easy to find. Sorry. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out that supposedly simple puzzle cache with the splats so had to rule that one out to.

Opalsns
06-06-2008, 10:23 AM
I actually looked up Canaan as a possibility for this weekends caching trip but after reading all the logs, they seem a little to easy to find. Sorry. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out that supposedly simple puzzle cache with the splats so had to rule that one out to.

We've never had a complaint and all the logs say they were GREAT CACHES!!!!!!!
Laughing Terry's SPLAT is one of his EASIEST puzzles to figure out ;)????
Are you SURE the Canaan Caches are too EASY for you :D?????????
I think you forgot about having FUN with it.!!!!!!!!!!!!
Opalsns

kayaking loon
06-06-2008, 01:46 PM
in some cases as i pass through i grab a cache here and there when we head that way we will be sure to do some. we would love to see more large ones placed, not just in your area but across the state. if some one wants to help start a series for the kids i can get the five gallon buckets.

My OnRoadToMyersBeach cache is a 5 gallon, regular cover, and I've never had any problems with it leaking. It did get "kid-muggled" so I had to move it closer to the house. And you can buy water-tight covers for them at about $8.50. Loose Moose, which isn't mine, is also a 5 gallon, no leaks but not much in it when I was there. Size doen't guarantee there'll be anything in it! I also have a 50 cal. ammo and that works good as does big Tupperware. Keeping a kid friendly cache stocked costs money, especially when kids take the "good" toys and leave a marble. So I just have the one where I expect that to happen.

Opalsns
06-06-2008, 06:09 PM
My OnRoadToMyersBeach cache is a 5 gallon, regular cover, and I've never had any problems with it leaking. It did get "kid-muggled" so I had to move it closer to the house. And you can buy water-tight covers for them at about $8.50. Loose Moose, which isn't mine, is also a 5 gallon, no leaks but not much in it when I was there. Size doen't guarantee there'll be anything in it! I also have a 50 cal. ammo and that works good as does big Tupperware. Keeping a kid friendly cache stocked costs money, especially when kids take the "good" toys and leave a marble. So I just have the one where I expect that to happen.

I agree with you on the SWAP issue. I've started buying stuff at the dollar store. I leave a pack of pencils or crayons or things like that. I break up the packs of squirt guns and bubbles, but I leave the whole dollar bag of army men or cowboys etc. I take all the loose marbles, plastic horses and the like out and put them in a baggie and when I come across an empty cache, I leave the baggie of loose things.
Opalsns:cool:

hollora
06-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Bubbles are great in caches where there is routine owner maintenance. Lacking the knowledge of whether that may happen they probably are not great swag.

Cache Maine and I came across a two caches recently which had gone through the winter with bubbles inside and no owner maintenance after the thaw. What a mess!:( Fortunately we had supplies, could clean them out and get them all set to go again.

Recently took a 10 year old caching - her greatest find and "All for a Dollar" was a real Gold dollar.:)

Opalsns
06-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Bubbles are great in caches where there is routine owner maintenance. Lacking the knowledge of whether that may happen they probably are not great swag.

Cache Maine and I came across a two caches recently which had gone through the winter with bubbles inside and no owner maintenance after the thaw. What a mess!:( Fortunately we had supplies, could clean them out and get them all set to go again.

Recently took a 10 year old caching - her greatest find and "All for a Dollar" was a real Gold dollar.:)

My cache is on my land so I get to check it all the time. I would never put bubbles in someone elses cache!:eek:

hollora
06-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Yes, I know. Your cache is a fun one and close for maintenance. A few of mine too.

Folks see bubbles in caches so don't think beyond the, bubbles are ok piece. Especially new folks, who may not realize the cache they encountered was actually on your land and the cache owner placed them in there.

Doesn't matter to me - just a mess when you encounter the aftermath after a winter. Just thought I would mention it.

brdad
06-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Also, other cache finders don't necessarily know you are close to the cache and maintain it regularly. If I think a cache item will cause a problem with a cache, I will often remove it, whether it's bubbles, soap, scented candles, air fresheners, or food.

You can't expect cachers to know how you maintain your cache, and it is good practice for them to help ensure it remains in good shape by removing potentially damaging contents.

darterkitfox
06-07-2008, 07:03 AM
One of the caches published this week in the Groundspeak weekly notification had a cache where the new owner said it was stocked with scented candles so it isn't always visitors to a cache. I didn't learn not to do this for my first month of caching last June until someone mentioned in a forum. I guess regular reminders are needed as a lot of new cachers start every week. By the way, our local paper did a small article on Geocaching this week and talked about my wife and I placing our new cache. The reporter never personally asked us any questions so any inaccuracies about caching were his speculation from looking it up on the internet. He didn't do a bad job with the generalities though.

brdad
06-07-2008, 07:37 AM
One of the caches published this week in the Groundspeak weekly notification had a cache where the new owner said it was stocked with scented candles so it isn't always visitors to a cache. I didn't learn not to do this for my first month of caching last June until someone mentioned in a forum. I guess regular reminders are needed as a lot of new cachers start every week. By the way, our local paper did a small article on Geocaching this week and talked about my wife and I placing our new cache. The reporter never personally asked us any questions so any inaccuracies about caching were his speculation from looking it up on the internet. He didn't do a bad job with the generalities though.

It would be neat if someone created an article for the site with the good/bad/maybe stuff to leave in caches, whether as a cache placer or finder.

Is there a a link to the article?

WhereRWe?
06-07-2008, 10:27 AM
The reporter never personally asked us any questions so any inaccuracies about caching were his speculation from looking it up on the internet.

Sadly, this happens all too often when reporters write stories about geocaching. And all too often, when they do interview a geocacher, it's someone with no experience! LOL!

darterkitfox
06-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Our local paper probably has the same dial up that I have and as of today they haven't changed their website from the paper of two weeks ago. It is the Advertiser Democrat in Norway. I don't think they ever put the whole paper online so I probably will never be able to provide a link.

firefighterjake
06-08-2008, 12:42 AM

One of the reasons I have tried to shy away from placing micro caches is that I figure one of the big draws for kids (and even some adults -- you should see Hiram pawing through an ammo can) is the chance to find some "treasure" while on the hunt . . . plus not to get into the whole micro vs. macro debate, but I've always thought that anyone can make a challenging micro hide, but it takes some real skills and thinking outside of the box to make a challenging macro hide (and yes BrDad you are my inspiration!)

That said, one of my favorite cache series that I think would be very appealing to children is in fact in film canisters . . . and they're hidden in the woods (usually a combination that I detest) . . . but these are pretty clever . . . EMSDanel's Geo Zoo . . . trust me . . . they are worth the trip to Orrington.

firefighterjake
06-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Sheesh! "Kid friendly"? Even some of us "big kids" enjoy pawing through a box of swag! :D:D (It's even getting hard to find a container big enough to get a TB tag into!)

HehHeh . . . I have to admit . . . I still look in them as well because you never know what you might find. Every once in a blue moon I find something that strikes my fancy.

firefighterjake
06-08-2008, 12:48 AM
. . . The kids don't neccessarily want something that is too easy to find but the really big caches can be hard to hide. They have a high muggle detection level.

For some caches that are larger than micros and still quite challenging (in fact some would say challenging enough to push you over the edge challenging) check out Brdad's Ol' 470 and Battleship caches in the Bangor area.

firefighterjake
06-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Canaan,,hmm, Canaan,,,,,,,hmmmmmmm,,,,seems I've heard of that mentioned before. Are there any caches there?:D:D

You know I've heard that there may be a cache or two up that way. :D

firefighterjake
06-08-2008, 12:56 AM
I wonder if the lack of LARGE caches is due to the lack of LARGE watertight containers. I have seen a few large containers that are those 5 gallon buckets which are ok, but most people dont seem to know how to re-seal them the right way. I have seen a few very wet caches because of this. I have one LARGE container that is a LARGE hard plastic 25MM Ammo/mortar round container for my MOOSE COUNTRY CACHE. It seals like a regular ammo can. If more of these were available I think more large caches might pop up. But unless I could find a good large container I would stick to the 50. cal cans as they can hold a good amount.

This is the first I've heard of plastic ammo cans . . . where did you pick this up EH and what was the cost?

Sudonim
06-09-2008, 08:01 AM
This is the first I've heard of plastic ammo cans

It's what rubber bullets come in:D

hide_from_the_kids
06-10-2008, 10:23 AM
how about an event for the kids( of all ages ).where the grownups can talk and the kids can do something like a scavenger hunt.

Kaching Karen
06-10-2008, 07:09 PM
how about an event for the kids( of all ages ).where the grownups can talk and the kids can do something like a scavenger hunt.
I try to do that in January. There weren't too many kids there this year.... I'd love to have a gang of them show up... well, a controled gang. :) ATroll also runs a fun one for families in the Slipping into Summer event.

hollora
06-11-2008, 11:46 PM
The Pirate Quest has had a coin discovery component which the kids (supervised - as the little ones need help) seemed to all enjoy. Then you can go home, teach them and help them log the coins they discovered. In addition the auction has always used "fake" money to purchase stuff. Many of the things to purchase were Kid oriented.

The event drew a number of cachers in 2007 and more in 2008. Not sure if there is a larger venue which would be affordable to rent. We had over 100 this year and I doubt the facility would accomodate the activities and a lot more folks. Due to the crowd, it is essential little ones be well supervised. (Just like on the trail.)

Each event is different, but, I think most hosts/hostesses try to plan for children. I know Mainiac1957's Last Cache Bashe the last 2 years has had a scavenger hunt or hunt for "all Kids". My Apres event last year - had nothing Kid specific - it was an event for folks to camp in the area without a campground fee - kick back and talk caching after Mainiac1957's event. I did have some outdoor games older kids could use and EMSDanel organized an Escorted excursion from the Apres event for families to visit his GeoZoo (complete with admission tickets) - and timing to include doing the night cache.

Read the event descriptions and when in doubt - PM the host/hostess to determine if their event includes activities for the kids.

hide_from_the_kids
06-16-2008, 11:07 PM
if time and work schedules permit we will attend the next pirate quest. can you give us a better clue about fake money and can you use it for gas?

Mainiac1957
06-17-2008, 05:26 AM
i can you give us a better clue about fake money and can you use it for gas?

Of course you can. But only for fake gas.:rolleyes:

EvilHomer
06-17-2008, 07:56 AM
This is the first I've heard of plastic ammo cans . . . where did you pick this up EH and what was the cost?

It was something that was confiscated and "disposed of" after it was done being evidence. (You can just imagine what was in it!). Anyway, I have never seen one before or since. I would imagine they would not be cheap. They are made of a hardened plastic, that I would dare say can take a beating. It dosent quite hold what a 5 gallon bucket will, but its close. They held 25MM shells of some sort, mortar, or gun I imagine.

we3beans
06-17-2008, 01:45 PM
As I believe I stated, one of my Grandchild's favorite toys which she chose at a young tender age came from this cache. I don't think her Mom will ever part with that Fisher Price Puppy dog which talks - constantly!

Thank you Gob-ler for this very special seasonal cache!

omg! we have that same stupid dog! I HATE IT! Thinking about ripping stuffing out and burning.

sorry to hijack.:o

hide_from_the_kids
06-22-2008, 06:29 PM
we hope to get the gob-ler christmas cache this year. we are also working on another hide so kids of all ages will enjoy.any suggestions on swag? i don't think themed caches end up the way they were intended.

Medawisla
06-23-2008, 06:12 AM
Kid friendly?:confused:
Slipping into Summer 2008!:D

There are forums threads titled Slipping into Summer 2008 and you can find the event posted on GC.com too. :)

It really is a fun time! Slip n slide, food, kids' cache(s), scavenger hunts, yard games, even water balloons in the past...:eek::D:p

Hope to see lots of kids! :cool: