View Full Version : Delorme PN-20

robt
06-06-2008, 01:41 PM
The story continues..... Well I have finnally heard back from Delorme after a week and they are saying that the unit is not defective and that they want me to pay to fix their piece of crap. When I spoke to the Technical Support Manager and he states that the seals are not defective and will not repair the unit and wants me to pay to fix this unit. When I adresses the fact that this issues did happen and the cover was not loose he did not have an answer and would not do anything to assist me just state that the unit is not defective. At this point I would definatly not reccomend buying anything from Delorme and will probally be selling all the extra's that I have bought and never deal with Delorme again as the company sucks and I wish I had returned the unit the first time I had trouble instead of trying to work with them to get it working up to snuff. Garmin is a far better unit and I will be saving up to buy a new Garmin.

Anyone Looking for parts for a PN-20 cause it looks like I have a new TB in the works. The Delorme Sux TB.

I am trying to escalate this further but doubt I will get anywhere so when that is complete I will be putting up all the goodies that I have that are still working.

robt
06-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Well I got my GPS back from them and it has water in it after sitting with them for a week and they tested it under water and stated that not a drop of water got into it. So my question is how can the test it and say it is not getting water in but still have water in the unit?

grrrr

attroll
06-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Well I got my GPS back from them and it has water in it after sitting with them for a week and they tested it under water and stated that not a drop of water got into it. So my question is how can the test it and say it is not getting water in but still have water in the unit?

grrrr
Rob

I know you sound disgruntle but if you picked the unit up from them and you can see it has water in it then why did you not point that out to them? If you received it in the mail and it has water in it then I would bring it back to them and show them the water in it.

Haffy
06-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Some people are just stubborn as Rob seems to be but if it were me I would just bring it back if not satisfied and get my money back. Sometimes if you get a lemon then all you get is lemonade.....

darterkitfox
06-07-2008, 07:17 AM
I certainly can understand Robert's frustration as many businesses don't care much about customer service anymore. There is a point after many calls and trips to somewhere that it just isn't worth it. I just wish there was someway to prove to a company that their decision not to help is hurting them. Too bad Robert couldn't copy and paste this entire thread and the total amount of members that potentially read it. I had trouble with VIP a year and a half ago just because they wanted me to show ID for a $11 credit card purchase. I wrote a letter and mentioned how some stores don't even have you sign for under $25 and what about all the self serve counters where no one even sees your credit card. They wrote back and said too bad. I wrote back again and said I would never use their store again. They actually wrote back and said "so?" I now mail them receipts when I buy tires from Pep Boys. It makes me feel good but it won't ever get me anything except a stamp bill. Just a we're sorry would have kept me as a customer. Roberts experience would make me wonder if I would buy from Delorme.

WhereRWe?
06-07-2008, 10:33 AM
At this point I would definatly not reccomend buying anything from Delorme and will probally be selling all the extra's that I have bought and never deal with Delorme again as the company sucks and I wish I had returned the unit the first time I had trouble instead of trying to work with them to get it working up to snuff.

I've had bad experiences with Delorme as well. (We have one GeocachingMaine.org member who works for Delorme - I hope he's monitoring this thread.)

I had a problem with "Street Atlas", so I took my laptop to Delorme to have them look at it. After being "triaged" through the staff at the shop, they brought out 2 techs, who couldn't figure out the problem either. I came away disappointed, but eventually found the answer in an internet forum. I was also surprised that they weren't too concerned about the problem. Seems to me that a company that write a software package would want to figure out how to fix a bug!

Sheesh!

robt
06-07-2008, 08:56 PM
I did try to take it back in and show members of the Delorme Staff but they were only the people that are in the map store so they could have cared less nor would they confirm my claim. Unfurtunatly there tech support people are ony there when I have to be at work so I can not talk to anyone their other than by phone. I am hoping that I will be able to talk to someone in management and explain all this again but I am not hopefull.

I wish I had returned it on the first sign of trouble instead of trying to work with them to make this work but I am too much of an optimist thinking that they would make it right. Well I have learned a hard lesson, in trusting that they were the good campany that they appeared to be.

attroll
06-07-2008, 09:39 PM
I would have had someone in the map store view the issue and then gotten there name and then contacted tech support and gave them the persons name that verified that there was water still in the unit.

What's done is done now. Sorry to see you have had such bad luck. I love my PN-20 and would still recommend it to someone else.

Kacky
06-08-2008, 11:47 AM
I certainly can understand Robert's frustration as many businesses don't care much about customer service anymore. There is a point after many calls and trips to somewhere that it just isn't worth it. I just wish there was someway to prove to a company that their decision not to help is hurting them. Too bad Robert couldn't copy and paste this entire thread and the total amount of members that potentially read it. I had trouble with VIP a year and a half ago just because they wanted me to show ID for a $11 credit card purchase. I wrote a letter and mentioned how some stores don't even have you sign for under $25 and what about all the self serve counters where no one even sees your credit card. They wrote back and said too bad. I wrote back again and said I would never use their store again. They actually wrote back and said "so?" I now mail them receipts when I buy tires from Pep Boys. It makes me feel good but it won't ever get me anything except a stamp bill. Just a we're sorry would have kept me as a customer. Roberts experience would make me wonder if I would buy from Delorme.

oooh, I haven't thought of doing that. I had a huge tiff with VIP and I think I will send them my Pep Boys receipts as well. Overcharged, and then they screamed my debit card number and personal info out loud for all to hear. I also reported them on ripoffreport.com for the overcharge.

As to Delorme, what a disappointment. They seemed like they really wanted the geocachers' business. Meanwhile, why won't their maps work on Garmin units, is that Delorme's decision or Garmin's?

attroll
06-08-2008, 12:06 PM
As to Delorme, what a disappointment. They seemed like they really wanted the geocachers' business. Meanwhile, why won't their maps work on Garmin units, is that Delorme's decision or Garmin's?
I think it had something to do with copyright issues as to why one GPS can not use the others software. That is just a guess though.

robt
06-09-2008, 09:14 PM
I talked with one of the managers at Delorme today and they are going to look at my GPS again and recheck the seals on it. This person seems like he is willing to work this out so maybe we can both come away happy. Will let you know how it truns out.

darterkitfox
06-05-2009, 08:13 PM
I know I'm not really welcome in posting but hope to prevent one person from making the mistake I did. After months of waiting for just the right time to go to Sherbrooke Quebec on a try for 100 caches in a day, I was planning on going tomorrow. While trying to download caches to my PN-20, I was forced to upload a new program with no option of not doing so. When I did this, I lost all ability to download caches and the computer doesn't recognize that the GPS is hooked to it. I have had nothing but trouble with the Delorme since I got it and it is mostly because of their constant upgrades and "improvements". I have now lost my chance for the caching run and as a matter of fact I cannot do any caching at all unless I do caches in the Waterville area that robt was nice enough to download for me at Gob-lers event. I wish I'd stayed with Garmin and certainly tell as many people as will listen not to buy from a Maine company.

fins2right
06-05-2009, 08:54 PM
I know I'm not really welcome in posting but hope to prevent one person from making the mistake I did. After months of waiting for just the right time to go to Sherbrooke Quebec on a try for 100 caches in a day, I was planning on going tomorrow. While trying to download caches to my PN-20, I was forced to upload a new program with no option of not doing so. When I did this, I lost all ability to download caches and the computer doesn't recognize that the GPS is hooked to it. I have had nothing but trouble with the Delorme since I got it and it is mostly because of their constant upgrades and "improvements". I have now lost my chance for the caching run and as a matter of fact I cannot do any caching at all unless I do caches in the Waterville area that robt was nice enough to download for me at Gob-lers event. I wish I'd stayed with Garmin and certainly tell as many people as will listen not to buy from a Maine company.

I know how you feel. I own a 20 and owned a 40. I eventually took my 40 back for a refund. I too had to upload a link lately and now my computer will not recognize my gps and even if I hand enter the coords, the unit dumps them if I turn it off. This makes the 20 close to useless.

I really like the Delorme interface and think that it is more accurate under 50 feet than my Garmin. I really wish my PN-40 worked and I'm still trying hard to get used to the Oregon. I like it, I'm just getting used to it. I'm not completely turned off by the Delormes, and I hope that they work out the bugs in the PN-40 so I can try another unit in a year to two. :(

WhereRWe?
06-06-2009, 06:01 AM
I really like the Delorme interface and think that it is more accurate under 50 feet than my Garmin. (

Sheesh! It doesn't make any difference "how accurate" your GPSr is when you're searching for a cache. What's important is how accurate the GPSr of the cache owner was! LOL!

Keep in mind that a great many caches hidden are owned by cachers with limited experience (don't take multiple readings) and (usually) low-end starter GPSr's.

:D:D

TeamHorwich
06-06-2009, 11:56 AM
just gotta add to this thread that I really like my pn40 a lot. My experience with the unit and the company had been nothing but positive. I like the interface, the new Cache Register software, and the accuracy. I'm sorry to hear others haven't been as lucky. I had previously used an eTrex and a GPSMap60. This is a big step up from those. Don't know how it compares to the Oregon or Colorado, but so far I'm a happy camper...I mean geocacher.

attroll
06-06-2009, 04:29 PM
I also have to add to this thread that I own a PN-20 and a PN-40 and absolutely love both of them and have not had a problem with either of them.

parmachenee
06-06-2009, 04:41 PM
My wife told me about the recent posts and she said she wasn't sure what the problem was so I read the recent problems and still am not sure what the problem is?? :confused:

I have BOTH the PN-20 and the PN-40 and they work great! I wouldn't trade them for any other gpsr at this time. Yes, there have been firmware updates for both gpsr's and they have been very beneficial to those who geocache. Maybe you should visit the forums at: http://forum.delorme.com/
and find out more information about your problems.

When you get it working, you will love it. :) JMHO

fins2right
06-06-2009, 06:22 PM
I also have to add to this thread that I own a PN-20 and a PN-40 and absolutely love both of them and have not had a problem with either of them.

It's not that I didn't like the 20/40. In fact I really loved them. The biggest issue I had with my 40 was I couldn't get it to turn on unless it was connected to an external power source. My 20 is starting to have memory issues. I think that maybe I was unlucky with the 40 and I've had my 20 for a few years. It was just upsetting to drive down to Yarmouth two weekends in a row and not be able to cache on those trips. :) Delorme is coming out with a 30 this summer. I just want small things to work on my GPS, like the ability to turn it on.

Sheesh! It doesn't make any difference "how accurate" your GPSr is when you're searching for a cache. What's important is how accurate the GPSr of the cache owner was! LOL!

Keep in mind that a great many caches hidden are owned by cachers with limited experience (don't take multiple readings) and (usually) low-end starter GPSr's.

:D:D

I've made that mistake and had to correct it. I need the ability to get in close with my gps because sometimes you have to beat me over the head with obvious finds!! :D:D:rolleyes: (I'm just glad I haven't walked off a cliff yet)

WhereRWe?
06-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I have BOTH the PN-20 and the PN-40 and they work great! I wouldn't trade them for any other gpsr at this time.

Sheesh! You like it better than your Garmin 60CSX??? :eek::eek:

I just bought a new Nikon digital camera - are you telling me I need to upgrade my GPSr as well??? :cool::cool:

attroll
06-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Delorme is coming out with a 30 this summer.
What is that, something in between a PN-20 and a PN-40?

fins2right
06-07-2009, 03:09 AM
What is that, something in between a PN-20 and a PN-40?
It's in a green casing and I guess it doesn't have the compass feature. $100.00 less than the 40

parmachenee
06-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Sheesh! You like it better than your Garmin 60CSX??? :eek::eek:

:DHa ha! Actually, I like the 60CSX very much! And so does Charron! But I use my '40 and she uses the '60 and we race to the caches! I don't always win. ;) They are very comparable.

WhereRWe?
06-08-2009, 06:34 AM
:DHa ha! Actually, I like the 60CSX very much! And so does Charron! But I use my '40 and she uses the '60 and we race to the caches! I don't always win. ;) They are very comparable.

I know how you feel! RULost2? and I race to the caches as well. I use the 60CSX and she uses common sense. I don't always win, either. ;);)

benandtina
06-08-2009, 03:29 PM
I know how you feel! RULost2? and I race to the caches as well. I use the 60CSX and she uses common sense. I don't always win, either. ;);)

LOL, Ben and I do that too! I wander around with the Garmin, checking coords and re-reading the cache descriptions while Ben and the dog just wander around. I've only beaten them to a find once.

aaronpriest
06-09-2009, 07:54 AM
With so much negative, I just wanted to post a positive. I've used DeLorme XMap for a decade, and a Garmin 60CSx for almost 4yrs. About a month ago I finally jumped on the PN-40 bandwagon. After a couple days I had the same issue that many have had where it wouldn't boot off any internal power, only external. Talked to tech support where it was a known issue, got the back plastic replaced (no charge), and it's been running great since. I think there were quite a lot manufactured with a defective back casing for a bit.

As for using the PN-40, well, the trusty 60CSx only came on the couple days the PN-40 was in the UPS truck. I really, really, like this GPS. I find the geocaching features (with the latest 2.5 RTM firmware, GSAK, and Cache Register) to be invaluable for both geocaching and benchmarking. I only wish it could hold more than 1000 at a time! I don't even carry my PocketPC with CacheMate any more. Having aerial photography of everywhere I go (bought a 32GB SDHC card) is even more amazing. I think if someone has the patience to get it to work, they would be very happy with this GPS and it's unique features. The DeLorme forums are full of great folks willing to help and offer suggestions too.

That's the end of my sales pitch. :-P I don't work for DeLorme. I just wanted to offer encouragement to those who've had a bad experience. I'd recommend trying again to talk to someone in customer service. I've found them to be very helpful to and supportive of their customers. I also really enjoy seeing a local Maine company be successful.

Oh, and yes, I would still heartily recommend a 60CSx to anyone that didn't care for aerial photography. Garmin also stands behind their products and has good tech support. When mine was 3yrs old (beyond warranty) it developed a map layering issue that firmware updates could not resolve. For $100 they promised to repair or replace it with a factory refurb. I took them up on the offer, they couldn't repair it, and I got a new looking refurb a few days later that has been running great for almost a year. I caution that the Garmin maps get quite expensive however if you want routing, topo, and nautical maps. DeLorme has much better maps for less for the PN-40 with their $30/yr subscription/all-you-can-download-buffett. However, a number of people are making good, free topo maps for Garmins that can be downloaded at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/), none of them offer routing though.

fins2right
06-09-2009, 01:05 PM
With so much negative, I just wanted to post a positive. I've used DeLorme XMap for a decade, and a Garmin 60CSx for almost 4yrs. About a month ago I finally jumped on the PN-40 bandwagon. After a couple days I had the same issue that many have had where it wouldn't boot off any internal power, only external. Talked to tech support where it was a known issue, got the back plastic replaced (no charge), and it's been running great since. I think there were quite a lot manufactured with a defective back casing for a bit.

I probably gave up too soon. I tried tech support, but I think that maybe they hadn't pinpointed the issue yet. I am strongly thinking about replacing my existing PN-20 I've thought that I might wait a few more months just to see if they work the bugs out. Until then, Go Garmin! :D

dubord207
06-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I have Garmins. I had a compass issue with my 60csx, Garmin replaced it. My Vista hcx just stopped booting up one day, 18 months after I bought it, and Garmin replaced it. One of our labs stepped on the touch screen of my Oregon, clearly not a warranty deal and Garmin swapped me a new one for $150.00. And no, there was no mention of what I do for a living!

But keeping that in mind, if Delorme doesn't make Robert whole, file a consumer complaint at the Attorney General's office. Delorme will have to answer it and they won't want the "demerit" that becomes part of a companies record if the dispute is not resolved. This is a last resort but usually very helpful....and you don't need a silver tongued attorney to get the job done!;)

Sudonim
06-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Aside from the problems (which I would hope will get straightened out soon), I saw a PN-40 at Geowoodstock and like the info, but thought the screen was too small. I use a 60CSx now and like the bigger screen. Any feedback on using the small screen?

darterkitfox
06-12-2009, 08:52 PM
I went to Delorme today and they weren't very friendly or helpful. Since you all seem to love the GPS to death, if anyone needs a second one, $150 will get you mine plus the accessory kit that I also bought. Hardly used.

WhereRWe?
06-13-2009, 06:41 AM
I went to Delorme today and they weren't very friendly or helpful.

I had that experience as well. Had a problem with Street Atlas, so went to Delorme with my laptop. Went through the agony of "triage" with the "assistants" in the shop, and they finally called down a real tech support guy. He couldn't resolve the problem, either.

As we were standing there staring at the screen, I figure out the problem on my own, closed the laptop and left. I probably won't go back...

:(:(

TRF
06-13-2009, 06:57 AM
I went to Delorme today and they weren't very friendly or helpful. Since you all seem to love the GPS to death, if anyone needs a second one, $150 will get you mine plus the accessory kit that I also bought. Hardly used.

Hmmmm. There are enough guru's that visit these forums I think it might be worth seeing if one of them could help you out with your GPSr before selling it. I like to tinker on that kind of stuff when I know I can't damage it worse that it already is; I took Haffy's Vista apart and actually managed to get it back together working. Of course Jupiter was aligned with Neptune and the solar flares weren't too bad that day either. :)

Haffy
06-13-2009, 04:41 PM
I took Haffy's Vista apart and actually managed to get it back together working. Of course Jupiter was aligned with Neptune and the solar flares weren't too bad that day either. :)

Apparently Jupiter wasn't quite aligned up too good though as it still does the same thing on occasion. :eek::D I just give a quick hit and it straightens out for a while....:p

TRF
06-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Apparently Jupiter wasn't quite aligned up too good though as it still does the same thing on occasion. :eek::D I just give a quick hit and it straightens out for a while....:p

Ungrateful! :eek::p:D

robt
06-13-2009, 07:28 PM

If I can help you with it let me know and I will try.