View Full Version : Slipping into summer cache 2008

attroll
06-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Follow the GPS until you get within about 75 feet and you should be in front of the house.

More to come:
Check this listing for updates (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3214)

Come between noon and 1 pm and stay as long as you like.

This is the fourth year we are hosting this event and we are happy to be able to do it again. We will not be hosting a pig roast at this event this year. As of this time it will be a pot luck. We have to large gas BBQ grills here at the house for anyone that wants to bring something to cook on them. If you need to use the stove in the house you are also more then welcome. We have a fairly large back yard. If the weather cooperates we will set up slip and slide on the small hill in the back yard for the children or adults. We will have a canopy tent ready to set up in case of rain. If the weather does look bad we can also set up a large covered tarp area. We do not want to think about the four letter word we call “rain”. We are going to try and add some more local caches if we can find the time away from our busy schedules. If anyone wants to place some new caches close by to help us out they are more then welcome. If you want to get here earlier and head out for some local caching then you can stop off here first and leave what you don’t want to carry around in your car. We can also set up an area if someone wants to tent here for the night.

If we get some people staying for the night in tents as we have in the past we will have a fire in the fire pit at night if it is not too windy. If you want to you can tent for the night and use our home as home base if you want to do some more caching the next day. If anyone is interested in bringing a tent and making this an overnight event just let us know we have plenty of room. We would just like to have a head count for those wanting to spend the night. We will be having some type of breakfast the following morning so a head count would help.

We are also only one mile away from a bunch of lakes. There is a bridge just down the road that the local kids and adults use to jump from. It is only about 10 feet off the water.

For those that are interested I have a wireless router that can be turned on if they want to bring there laptops.

Note: You can bring your travel bugs but the event hold is not responsible for keeping track of any travel bugs left on tables unattended.

Things to bring:
1. Yourself and anyone interested in attending
2. The food that you want to eat
3. Chairs to sit in
4. Swim suite (for slip and slide)
5. A good attitude
6. Tent and sleeping gear if you plan on spending the night
7. Travel bugs to pass along

For anyone camping out for the night we will have a breakfast I in the morning. Consisting of pancakes and eggs and Orange Juice. We can make instant coffee. If someone brings a coffee maker then we can make real coffee. A head count for those spending the night would be nice. Please leave me email or post it here.

The wife has asked me to make recommendations for things that would be good to bring:

Any side dish you like to share
Salads ie patatoe, macaroni, toss, pasta
Chips
Fruit
Cookies

Note to anyone spending the night Team Teabow is working on creating a paddling event on Sunday if weather permits so bring a kayak or canoe if you are interested.

Most Useless Geocaching Gear Contest We tried the will try The Most Useless Geocaching Gear Contest last year. We can try it again this year. Those that are interested please this is what it is all about.

Come up with a piece of gear that you can bring on your geocaching adventures and that you could use for something. It has to be totally useless but used for something.

Present a piece of gear to the audience and market this piece of gear to the audience. I do not mean you have to actually sell it. I mean you have to buy the audience over with it. There is not limit to how many entries there are. The person will come out and present the gear to the audience and explain its uses and usefulness to everyone and explain what is so great about this piece of gear. There will only be one overall winner of the contest and some runner ups as well. Some type of prize will be awarded.

Keep in mind this is not an actual useful piece of Geocaching gear. It is a gag contest, which means that it is a new piece of gear that you must invent or that already exist and present to the audience. This is all in fun. There will be kids present so keep that in mind.
This event will be held sometime during the end of the day. We have no set time yet.

Check out last year YouTube clip (http://www.youtube.com/v/54_YVbpSUg0&autoplay=1)

attroll
06-07-2008, 08:08 PM
How many home brewers will be coming to this event and spending the night? We could have a contest and have the people staying the night judge who has the best home brew.

attroll
06-13-2008, 02:24 AM
I am coordinating with Hiram. We are looking into putting together a good night cache.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/signatures/sigip.php

Hiram357
06-13-2008, 08:24 AM
I am coordinating with Hiram. We are looking into putting together a good night cache.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/signatures/sigip.php

It'll be awesome too... wicked scary.... ya'll ever see deliverance??? that's right, there's gunna be banjo music!!! muwahahahaa!! :eek::eek::eek:

attroll
06-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Hiram and Medawisla came to the house today and we have gone over the placement night caches and there locations for the event. This means that the night time cache is all set to go. This will be done as a group cache. If you want to do the night cache then you will have to be at the event near the fire pit at 10 pm. The night cache will not take place any earlier then 10 pm.

Kaching Karen
06-23-2008, 05:58 AM
Don't forget there will be a kid's cache. Now I have to put on my thinking cap. Hmmmmmmmm........ any ideas out there?

Medawisla
06-23-2008, 06:09 AM
Don't forget there will be a kid's cache. Now I have to put on my thinking cap. Hmmmmmmmm........ any ideas out there?

Hiram and I also left lots of kid goodies to add to Donna's tons of kid goodies that can be put into caches or prizes for kids.:cool:

If you've had kids at the event in the past, what did they enjoy most? Scavenger hunts? Caches? Multis?:confused:

team teebow
06-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Man are we bummed. It all sounds like so much fun. We will be looking forward to seeing all of the pictures.

have a great time everyone we will be thinking of you!!

Team Teebow

Hiram357
06-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Man are we bummed. It all sounds like so much fun. We will be looking forward to seeing all of the pictures.

have a great time everyone we will be thinking of you!!

Team Teebow

Don't worry, we'll toast a beer to ya while were hangin around the campfire... :D;)

I'm sure it'll be a good time, how many people are planning on campin over???

hollora
06-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Well, not all of us can be around the campfire or do the neat night things planned but we will think of all those who can not join us ~ if not even for a small or short time.

Mainiac1957
06-23-2008, 07:37 PM
I've been there for all of them, no use missing it this year;).

team teebow
06-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Yes, please tip a beer or two for those that can't make it. We really are bummed about this. Can't be two places at once and since we are the ones organizing the reunion, guess we should be there.:rolleyes:

hide_from_the_kids
06-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Yes, please tip a beer or two for those that can't make it. We really are bummed about this. Can't be two places at once and since we are the ones organizing the reunion, guess we should be there.:rolleyes:
DO A POD CAST OF YOUR VOICES AND GET CARDBOARD CUTOUTS OF YOURSELVES THEN HEAD FOR THE EVENT.:rolleyes::):pLOL

Hiram357
06-23-2008, 08:47 PM
DO A POD CAST OF YOUR VOICES AND GET CARDBOARD CUTOUTS OF YOURSELVES THEN HEAD FOR THE EVENT.:rolleyes::):pLOL

cardboard cutouts wont work dummy... get some helium balloons and paste your photos on them and dress em in your clothes, thats more realistic! :D:p;)

hide_from_the_kids
06-23-2008, 08:58 PM
cardboard cutouts wont work dummy... get some helium balloons and paste your photos on them and dress em in your clothes, thats more realistic! :D:p;)
OR THEY COULD HIRE SOME LOOK-A-LIKES (STANDINS PER SAY)WE WILL CALL THEM STUNT DOUBLES FOR HIRAM'S SAKE

FuddsGirls
06-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Woo Hoo. Looks like I am going to be able to make at least the night cache if not other activities. I think I should be home from Danforth by like 2 in the afternoon. Kids can come or not but I am not missing the whole event. I've never been out for a night cache and only one group type at one of Maniac's events.:D:D:D

attroll
06-24-2008, 02:34 AM
Don't forget the Useless gear contest.

If you are going to enter the contest it can not be anything that was used in the previous contests.

Opalsns
06-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Kid Caches are fun to fill. I'd suggest ... Pencils, Pens, Notebooks, Rulers ...
School Supplies,Maybe a new Back Pack for a FTF. It'll help kids get there stuff together for school which is about a month away from the event. I've been putting in Erasers and Crayons etc....
Opalsns

attroll
06-25-2008, 12:13 AM
I have had several request to have a pig roast again this year. Even though it is late I did look into it. I can get a pig but the cooker is already rented out. I have tried several places that rent a cooker and they are all rented out as well. We can still roast a pig if someone knows where we can get a roaster and I would need to before Saturday morning one very early Saturday morning.

darterkitfox
06-25-2008, 07:03 AM
They have two cookers at Smedburgs Crystal Spring Farms in Oxford but I'm sure that is way too far to go.

attroll
06-25-2008, 12:51 PM
They have two cookers at Smedburgs Crystal Spring Farms in Oxford but I'm sure that is way too far to go.
That would be great but that is a little to far for me to drive and get it and bring it back after we are done.

firefighterjake
06-25-2008, 03:30 PM
You could always do the redneck pig roast . . . go find someone's 250-gallon oil tank near their trailer, cut it in half, weld on a handle, hinges and chimney and voila . . . redneck pig roaster. :D I mean . . . it's warm enough now so I'm pretty sure someone around you has a oil tank that they're not using right now . . . although that may change in a few months time. . . . and oh yeah, you might want to drain the fuel oil before cutting it apart. ;):D:D:D

attroll
06-27-2008, 01:32 PM
To offset not having a pig to roast this year we are going to deep fry three turkeys in a fryer and also deep fry some hot wings.

FuddsGirls
06-28-2008, 08:45 PM
You could always do the redneck pig roast . . . go find someone's 250-gallon oil tank near their trailer, cut it in half, weld on a handle, hinges and chimney and voila . . . redneck pig roaster. :D I mean . . . it's warm enough now so I'm pretty sure someone around you has a oil tank that they're not using right now . . . although that may change in a few months time. . . . and oh yeah, you might want to drain the fuel oil before cutting it apart. ;):D:D:D
I know there are a couple of drums in yard from 15 yrs ago when my father in law owned a gas station, I wonder if they are full of empty:o:o:rolleyes:

Team2hunt
06-29-2008, 08:50 AM
please stand up.

We used to make a roaring fire and throw an old mattress on it. Once the material and excess stuff had all burned off. On went the pig. We never had anyone ever complain or get sick......at least from the pig. :rolleyes:

brdad
06-30-2008, 05:50 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm roasted pig seasoned with bedbugs.....

WhereRWe?
06-30-2008, 09:43 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm roasted pig seasoned with bedbugs.....

Sheesh! The bedbugs would probably be tasty (http://eatbug.com/). I'd be worried about all the other things that a mattress has accumulated over the years! :eek::eek:

As a matter of fact:

" 100 grams of cricket contains: 121 calories, 12.9 grams of protein, 5.5 g. of fat, 5.1 g. of carbohydrates, 75.8 mg. calcium, 185.3 mg. of phosphorous, 9.5 mg. of iron, 0.36 mg. of thiamin, 1.09 mg. of riboflavin, and 3.10 mg. of niacin.

Compare this with ground beef, which, although it contains more protein (23.5 g.), also has 288.2 calories and a whopping 21.2 grams of fat!"

attroll
07-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Some more updates.

Those that are planning on spending the night. Bring a swim suite. We are picking up a hot tube tomorrow and are hoping to have it all hooked up by the weekend.

Tink
07-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi all !! Weather looks like its going to cooperate with us !! Can't wait to see everyone, hot tub is up and running for anyone interested !!!

Opalsns
07-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Ooooooo,
Cacher Stew .... yummy!

attroll
07-11-2008, 01:31 AM
Hi all !! Weather looks like its going to cooperate with us !! Can't wait to see everyone, hot tub is up and running for anyone interested !!!
Wow, Tink posted here on the web site.

She did neglect to say that the hot tube will not be used during the day. It will be opened later in the evening after sunset sometime.

Mainiac1957
07-11-2008, 06:02 AM

She did neglect to say that the hot tube will not be used during the day. It will be opened later in the evening after sunset sometime.

Posting on the website. What's next... driving, voting,decision making!!!:eek::rolleyes:;):p:D;):rolleyes::eek:

Yeah that caught me off guard too. Tink? Now let me see, I used to know a Tink way back when!!:rolleyes:

brdad
07-11-2008, 06:10 AM

I was thinking, Wow, Rick gave Tink a turn at the computer...

Team2hunt
07-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Posting on the website. What's next... driving, voting,decision making!!!:eek::rolleyes:;):p:D;):rolleyes::eek:

Yeah that caught me off guard too. Tink? Now let me see, I used to know a Tink way back when!!:rolleyes:

She'll go bushwacking! :eek:

hollora
07-11-2008, 08:59 AM
She won the PN-20!

Hiram357
07-11-2008, 01:57 PM
She'll go bushwacking! :eek:

hah! the day that happens will be the same day of all the 7horseman and the fire raining from the sky and all that other apocolypse stuff...

Tink
07-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Whew, ya know sometimes when he makes me stay in my cave I get lonely....but he was working and I escaped for just a little while...!!!....Hope he don't catch me it's dark in there.....but never fear I STILL DO NOT BUSH WACK !!!!!!!