View Full Version : Need to Borrow GPS units

Kaching Karen
06-15-2008, 10:37 AM
My mum and dad (Mumsbee and the Old Drone) are campground hosting at Blomidon Provincial Park in Nova Scotia again this year. They are two of the original campground hosts in Nova Scotia and were honored this year by having their family picture (around a bench that was dedicated to them) in the provincial newsletter.
The new provincial parks brochure has a whole page on geocaching. They support it and have had big events at some of the parks. Mum and Dad want to have a mini-clinic at Blomidon for the campers. This will not be an event, but just something fun to do at the campground on a Saturday. They've asked me to help.
They want to do this either on July 26 or August 2nd.
I would like to borrow some old and simple GPS units that you have hanging around. I'll be at the Slipping Into Summer event. Can anyone help?
By the way, a trip to Nova Scotia is close to you!

attroll
06-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Karen. I have one you can borrow as long as I get it back.

Kaching Karen
06-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Karen. I have one you can borrow as long as I get it back.

All GPS units will be returned!

Kacky
06-15-2008, 02:49 PM
You can borrow my yellow Etrex! It's a spare now. I;m in Gardiner and Winthrop all the time, so let me know if you would like to borrow it.

Gob-ler
06-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I also have a Yellow Etrex that you can use.

Kaching Karen
06-15-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm keeping a list! The yellow etrex is what I use, so I can troubleshoot and load them. Thanks!

Mainiac1957
06-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Add my vista to your list. I'll bring it to Rick's in July.

attroll
06-15-2008, 08:26 PM
I forgot to mention that mine was a Etrex Legend.

TRF
06-16-2008, 09:30 AM
I have a eTrex (yellow) personal you can borrow and I have the Vista if you would like. I'm in Augusta fairly often (like when they make me work). I always have them with me so just let me know....

hide_from_the_kids
06-16-2008, 08:12 PM
can we say there might be a trend here. we also have a yellow etrex you can use. anytime you want to pick it up let us know. hmmm you could place a cache to collect them in.if anyone wants to leave them with us to get to kk you can drop them off at my work (burgerking in augusta) or at our cache Key Chain Cache and Travel Bug and Geocoin Resort (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=311ec54a-80e0-4770-8cce-a1c8a4d5e26f). it is in our yard and we would pick them out to get to kk.

attroll
06-17-2008, 12:39 AM
You can get mine when you come to our Slipping into summer cache 2008 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1e7bf85d-74be-41da-af64-c8023fc6f4fc) event here at the house in July. Others can drop them off here at the house that are attending our event. Karen said she would be here so this would also be a good place to drop them off.

TRF
06-17-2008, 06:17 AM
...at my work (burgerking in augusta) .

OK,,,,So I work across the street...small world!

Kaching Karen
06-17-2008, 06:50 AM
This is amazing... thanks to all!

It sounds like I better get my act together and start gathering these babies. I think it is wonderful that they are all basically the same. Makes it easier for me. I'm keeping a list and will make arrangements for picking things up as soon as school is over.....

3.5 days left!

firefighterjake
06-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Hmmm . . . no Magellans in the mix, huh? Guess folks want to make sure the whole geocaching experience is fun and not so challenging. ;):D

attroll
06-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Hmmm . . . no Magellans in the mix, huh? Guess folks want to make sure the whole geocaching experience is fun and not so challenging. ;):D
Yeah, we wanted to make sure we gave her some GPS's that worked.

EvilHomer
06-18-2008, 12:45 PM
I have a Garmin Emap if you need it. I am in the Bangor area.

Kaching Karen
06-18-2008, 06:05 PM
I have a Garmin Emap if you need it. I am in the Bangor area.

So, will it hurt my brain to learn how to use it?

vicbiker
06-21-2008, 08:45 AM
My etrex is on it's way to Austraila. Luke has it with him. He's going to be coaching Russel Crowe for the next six weeks. We did some checking last night and there are a couple of caches right next to where he lives. Maybe Luke can get him to do a cache or two.

darterkitfox
06-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Is he coaching him to be a better actor?

vicbiker
06-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Is he coaching him to be a better actor?Actually a skinny actor. He needs to loose thirty pounds in the next couple of months for a new movie project. But this is way off the subject of borrowing GPS's.

Kaching Karen
06-23-2008, 06:03 AM
Thanks to everyone that has offered to let me borrow your GPS units. Hollera has been kind enough to offer to make labels for them.

I'll be contacting you soon to work on the pick up spot (mostly the Augusta area and Slipping into Summer event).

I'm off to start my Route 2 bike ride this morning. My knees ache already!

EvilHomer
06-23-2008, 01:04 PM
the emap is very simple to use.

Team2hunt
06-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Actually a skinny actor. He needs to loose thirty pounds in the next couple of months for a new movie project. But this is way off the subject of borrowing GPS's.

What's he got Russell doing? Running up and down the hills with a chain saw, and half a cord of wood. :rolleyes: ...........

I couldn't resist. :D

vicbiker
06-24-2008, 08:12 PM
What's he got Russell doing? Running up and down the hills with a chain saw, and half a cord of wood. :rolleyes: ...........

I couldn't resist. :DSo far it's a test of wills. The trainer vs the actor. But I think your idea has merit, we could get him to cut the wood for the winter campout.:D

darterkitfox
06-24-2008, 09:38 PM
I post a comment and get told it's off topic by you Vicbiker? What did your last post have to do with borrowing GPS's?

hide_from_the_kids
06-24-2008, 11:14 PM
so anyways karen when do you want the gps's we will even put new batteries in it for you.

hollora
06-24-2008, 11:52 PM
I post a comment and get told it's off topic by you Vicbiker? What did your last post have to do with borrowing GPS's?

I think Vic was actually acknowledging some of the posts had gone off track. It is easy to take these threads and forums personal - I know, I have - but it's ok. Everything is back on topic now, folks have made their fun comments to a side note - and post on.

hollora
06-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Not to upstage KK here but she is - afterall - peddling RT 2 and relying on libaries for communication.

I think -she is hoping to pick the units up at Rick's event - Slipping Into Summer. Before that I think she wants an email from you with what you want put on your unit for a label. I am doing them with my label machine.

She is thinking your name and phone number - but your caching name can be printed out as well. I have a list she gave me and will wait for you to get her your - "real name and phone number" before I print the labels. You could of course PM them to me and I coud have these all done when is gets off her bike LOL

Thanks for helping here - this is a great mission.

Kaching Karen
06-25-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm at the public library in Farmington as she claims! I've only got a limited amount of time before my knees seize up and I need to leave the computer (that will happen way before my time limit is up). All is good. Will post more on the other forum about mastering the route. :)

Kacky
06-26-2008, 01:03 AM
My etrex is on it's way to Austraila. Luke has it with him. He's going to be coaching Russel Crowe for the next six weeks. We did some checking last night and there are a couple of caches right next to where he lives. Maybe Luke can get him to do a cache or two.

Hope Russell don't throw GPS units like he does telephones. Ouch!

dragonflys
06-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi Karen just read the post for the first time, you should try posting up here in NS? Kings County is buying 20 units I hear this summer but I believe they are Maggies.

We had our annual event at Graves Island Prov park and had 148 people, no rain like when you were here :)

I would help but will be in Quebec on vacation and to attend the Mega

Good Luck

Todd

Kaching Karen
07-07-2008, 07:22 AM
I'll be collecting GPS units to borrow this week and during the Slipping into Summer Event. I have these people listed as lending them to me...

Attroll, Kacky, Gob-bler, Mainiac1957, TRF, EvilHomer, and HideFromTheKids.

I'll take good care of them and I have plenty of rechargable batteries. Thanks everyone!