View Full Version : Cache Containers

Northwoods Explorer
06-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Came across this cache container the other day, it is in a place I am sure few of you will go so no hints. The guy had trouble with one of mine, it took him five tries to find it so he decided to give the same type of challenege to others. Under the tree were lots of big rocks and split logs, took us a bit to find it but noticed it was the wrong season for something of that size. The cache container is in the center of the photo and screws open where there was a peanut butter jar mounted in foam filling the center. Very clever I think, never liked the little critters anyway so I stayed as far away as possible until I finally gave in.

I am not sure how to load photo but it is located here if what I try doesn't work.
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/cdf69924-e71a-488f-b3a8-8880904512af.jpg

hollora
06-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Interesting........have seen some photos of these and others on the GC.com forums......but wonder about what we are saying to children when we place caches like this. For adults - fine but kids.......well we will let everyone be their own judge on this one.

It reminded me of when I was caching with both my kids and my adult daughter nearly walked into one hanging in a tree and the real McCoy! Fortunately her brother saw it and told her to steer clear.

Kaching Karen
06-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Interesting........have seen some photos of these and others on the GC.com forums......but wonder about what we are saying to children when we place caches like this. For adults - fine but kids.......well we will let everyone be their own judge on this one.

It reminded me of when I was caching with both my kids and my adult daughter nearly walked into one hanging in a tree and the real McCoy! Fortunately her brother saw it and told her to steer clear.

I have to agree with Hollera on this one. When I first saw it, I thought, "This isn't a good idea." I'm glad someone agrees. I can just see people poking sticks at real ones to see what happens. I have relatives that are alergic to bees and wasps. It can be life threatening.

Opalsns
06-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Bee Hives, Dog Doo, what's next ... Puke Puddles ?????

d76
06-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Bee Hives, Dog Doo, what's next ... Puke Puddles ?????

Fake puke caches would be great around UMO come finals week. LOL

brdad
06-22-2008, 10:05 AM
IMHO, you can't say this is not a great idea for kids (or many adults for that matter), unless you also agree that electrified light poles and other electrical apparatus are also unsafe. In fact, most of the time the former will give some warning, where the latter - you don't know if it's energized or not.

Johnnygeo's Geocaching Electrical Safety Blog (http://johnnygeo-blog.blogspot.com/)

http://bp0.blogger.com/_vKKv5B9Zdyw/R-6G4sj2LdI/AAAAAAAAAkQ/ie52TUhQSIM/s400/E-burn.jpg

Opalsns
06-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Walk Loudly and Carry a Big Stick!!!!

msteelee
06-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Shouldn't parents bear the responsibility for teaching kids that certain things should not be touched or played with? And, if they do bear that responsibility, then they should not hide a cache in a location that contradicts that message: bee hives, electric boxes, and lamp posts. Our sport will survive, even thrive, without caches in any of those locations.

TRF
06-22-2008, 11:33 AM
lol,,at least a beehive cache you can visualize the risk. Rolling over a log in the woods, searching a guard rail with your hands, poking the ground with a stick for that matter can stir up bees. First ones that come to mind are Yellow Jackets, they like to live ground level in crevises and what not. They leave very little visual clue as to where they nest. Bumble Bees also. People that risk anaphylaxis should carry their Epi-pens with them at all times anyways. Those that travel with folks with severe allergies should know where to look for it and administering is pretty intuitive. The comment that it is the finders responsibility to know their limitations and the limitations of those they cache with (i.e. children) should be the accepted rule. We need to be responsible for ourselves and accept that some people will take bigger risk than others and that it is not wrong, one way of the other, no matter how much I or you disagree. I would never bring my child skydiving for fear of the chute not opening up (my heart would stop) even though I myself didn't think anything of jumping out of an airplane.

If I saw the beehive I would leave as I hate getting stung and wouldn't risk it. I'm not allergic and I have no phobia of bees but the cache, to me, simply isn't worth the risk. As mentioned, with or without this type of cache, the sport will thrive and will offer those with varying taste what they seek...

Cache On!!

Opalsns
06-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Shouldn't parents bear the responsibility for teaching kids that certain things should not be touched or played with? And, if they do bear that responsibility, then they should not hide a cache in a location that contradicts that message: bee hives, electric boxes, and lamp posts. Our sport will survive, even thrive, without caches in any of those locations.

Very Good Point !!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
Opalsns

Hiram357
06-22-2008, 05:16 PM
I've reached into gaurdrails before and pulled out hornets nests... :eek:
I've reached into rocks and pulled out some nasty looking spiders...:eek:
I've cached down south and came out with some very unpleasant hitchhikers...:eek:

Does that mean we should ban all gaurdrail, rockwall, and southern caches???

Common sense is very usefull and it doesn't weigh very much, so you should always carry it with you... :D

hide_from_the_kids
06-22-2008, 06:41 PM
if someone made a cache container that looked like a tick i would run. don't like them its just one of those little ticks i got.

vicbiker
06-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Common sense is very usefull and it doesn't weigh very much, so you should always carry it with you... :D Wow!!! I'm impressed. This from Hiram....there must be hope for us all.

Opalsns
06-22-2008, 09:18 PM
I've reached into gaurdrails before and pulled out hornets nests... :eek:
I've reached into rocks and pulled out some nasty looking spiders...:eek:
I've cached down south and came out with some very unpleasant hitchhikers...:eek:

Does that mean we should ban all gaurdrail, rockwall, and southern caches???

Common sense is very usefull and it doesn't weigh very much, so you should always carry it with you... :D

Got any photos??:rolleyes:

Hiram357
06-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Wow!!! I'm impressed. This from Hiram....there must be hope for us all.

Sure is! I've got a whole bag of those fortune cookies if ya want a few, they're full of good stuff like that... :p:D:rolleyes:

EvilHomer
06-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Ok. DISCLAIMER*** The following is my opinion only****

There are a few caches out there that I have had to say: "GEE I don't think I would put one out there like that" and a hornets nest falls into that category. I recently did a cache that looked like an electrical box and thought, "jeez what if that was a live box that I just grabbed onto?" It made me think about what if someone saw a real electrical box and got into it and got hurt....or worse. On EBAY I see some sort of cache that is a flat magnet that resembles a "DANGER ELECTROCUTION" sticker that you see on outside building transformers. What if someone grabbed onto something that wasn't a cache and got hurt? Sticking your arms into old logs or holes is a good way to get bitten/stung by something MCNASTY! I tend to stay away from these type of caches when I put one out. I have to wonder where Liability laws would stand if a cacher got hurt, or killed trying for something they thought was a cache and it wasn''t. We live in litigious times and nothing is out of the realm of possibilities where lawyers are concerned. I am not telling people how to place a cache, or not to be creative, but it makes me a bit nervous seeing people putting out fake hornets nests as caches.

hide_from_the_kids
06-23-2008, 09:02 PM
IF SOMEONE MADE A CACHE TO LOOK LIKE A DONUT WOULD YOU EAT IT. LIKE HIRAM SAID "COMMON SENSE".

brdad
06-24-2008, 02:34 AM
Wouldn't it be common sense not to hide a cache in or on live electrical equipment?

I doubt many sensible cachers would knowingly hide a cache at a gang hideout, in a real bee hive, or other areas that might not appear dangerous until it's too late. Or it seems it would be common sense not to.

There are many potentially dangerous hides. Heck, 3 of my caches are near cliffs. One is hidden on a hunk of iron just waiting to be struck by lightning. My first log on Battleship warns of "hostile pedestrians"! But there is a difference between facing a known danger and an unknown one like electrical equipment.

firefighterjake
06-24-2008, 07:30 AM
IF SOMEONE MADE A CACHE TO LOOK LIKE A DONUT WOULD YOU EAT IT. LIKE HIRAM SAID "COMMON SENSE".

I might try if it was a glazed donut. :D

EvilHomer
06-24-2008, 10:26 AM
You assume that common sense is still alive and kicking. Unfortunately it only takes ONE to ruin it for everyone else. THAT is the reality of the world today.

Hiram357
06-24-2008, 02:41 PM
You assume that common sense is still alive and kicking. Unfortunately it only takes ONE to ruin it for everyone else. THAT is the reality of the world today.

"assume" has gone more to "hope" and the alive and kicking has dwindled more to twitching.... :(

EvilHomer
06-25-2008, 02:13 PM
10-4 good buddy!

Opalsns
06-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Common Sense,
I thought we are supposed to think like Geocachers??? LOL!!!!

Kacky
06-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Ok. DISCLAIMER*** The following is my opinion only****

There are a few caches out there that I have had to say: "GEE I don't think I would put one out there like that" and a hornets nest falls into that category. I recently did a cache that looked like an electrical box and thought, "jeez what if that was a live box that I just grabbed onto?" It made me think about what if someone saw a real electrical box and got into it and got hurt....or worse. On EBAY I see some sort of cache that is a flat magnet that resembles a "DANGER ELECTROCUTION" sticker that you see on outside building transformers. What if someone grabbed onto something that wasn't a cache and got hurt? Sticking your arms into old logs or holes is a good way to get bitten/stung by something MCNASTY! I tend to stay away from these type of caches when I put one out. I have to wonder where Liability laws would stand if a cacher got hurt, or killed trying for something they thought was a cache and it wasn''t. We live in litigious times and nothing is out of the realm of possibilities where lawyers are concerned. I am not telling people how to place a cache, or not to be creative, but it makes me a bit nervous seeing people putting out fake hornets nests as caches.

I disabled a cache that I had placed, because someone used a screwdriver to try to remove a nearby electrical box.

And I agree, don't stick your hands into anything! Boot, stick or gloves first. I was looking for a spot to place a cache and reached over to the back side of a tall boulder, and came out with a nasty bite on my hand from something that looked like a cross between a spider and a horsefly. Watch where you walk, too. It's very easy to stir up a nest of stinging creatures. Don't step on rotten logs.

EvilHomer
06-27-2008, 01:32 PM
I was looking for a spot to place a cache and reached over to the back side of a tall boulder, and came out with a nasty bite on my hand from something that looked like a cross between a spider and a horsefly

I bet it was a chipper! My father in law worked in the woods for years and said NOTHING hurts worse than a chipper bite. He said he would rather of been bit by a Dog than one of them!

Haffy
06-27-2008, 06:15 PM
I bet it was a chipper! My father in law worked in the woods for years and said NOTHING hurts worse than a chipper bite. He said he would rather of been bit by a Dog than one of them!

You don't suppose you mean chigger bites. I Googled chipper and got nothing but down here in the south we have those darned chiggers and they can put a good bite on yah. :eek:

http://www.surviveoutdoors.com/emergency/chigger_bites.asp

attroll
06-27-2008, 07:02 PM
I have been down south and had chiggers. It is something you will not forget when you get them. There not usually just one or two bits either. I am sure glad we do not have them up north.

vicbiker
06-27-2008, 08:12 PM
I think a chipper is a nickname for a pine borer. Pound for pound the most ferocious critter in the Maine woods. My brother had one sitting on his shoulder one day back when we cut wood for a living. I told him "you've got a pine borer on your shoulder". "They won't bite" was what he said, just before the thing chomped into his shoulder. It literally dropped him to his knees and the blood ran down is arm.

Hiram357
06-27-2008, 09:56 PM
I think a chipper is a nickname for a pine borer. Pound for pound the most ferocious critter in the Maine woods. My brother had one sitting on his shoulder one day back when we cut wood for a living. I told him "you've got a pine borer on your shoulder". "They won't bite" was what he said, just before the thing chomped into his shoulder. It literally dropped him to his knees and the blood ran down is arm.

Haha! ya gotta love those kinda stories, "ooooh, dont worry, it wont... AHHHHHHH!!!!" :D:D:D

darterkitfox
06-28-2008, 06:44 AM
Chiggers might not be up here now, but as with the ticks and all the other warmer weather animals, with global warming, it won't be long. I hope I realize when the first alligator moves into my pond before GeoKeiko ends up missing one day.

EvilHomer
07-07-2008, 11:38 AM
We call them "pine borers" CHIPPAS where I come from. And Yes Vic, they WILL have you on your knees. Its hard to believe something that small can bite like that.

Kacky
07-15-2008, 10:06 PM
It wasn't bad enough to bring me to my knees and didn't draw blood, just a real surprise sharp pinch. I still don't know what the little critter was.

firefighterjake
07-16-2008, 07:44 AM
It wasn't bad enough to bring me to my knees and didn't draw blood, just a real surprise sharp pinch. I still don't know what the little critter was.

Chupacabra . . . . ;):D:D

EvilHomer
07-16-2008, 10:10 AM
I miss ART BELL!

Haffy
07-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Sure isn't the same with George Noory is it? Although I thought he was on like Saturday nights or something.

Opalsns
07-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Chupacabra . . . . ;):D:D

Chupacabra, HMMMM .....
I thought they were lured by sour milk, NOT Sweet Kacky!!!:p