View Full Version : Are there any H.P.Lovecraft fans out there?

EvilHomer
06-25-2008, 02:29 PM
I am considering making a multi-cache based on H.P.Lovecraft, or more so one of his many short stories. If you do not know about H.P.Lovecraft, google his name and read up on him, and his writing. He was a Gothic Horror writer in the 1920s to 1937, when he died at the age of 47. He was writing horror long before that genre was poplular. His writing influenced the likes of Stephen King, Jeffrey Dever, John Carpenter, Dean Koontz, and many of the popular horror writers of today. Lovecraft took his cues from Edgar Allen Poe. We all know about a Poe inspired mystery cache in the Orono area. I am in hopes of putting something together as a mystery multi-cache based on one of his stories. I am looking for some input as to how many would be interested in that? Also it would be a significant drive for most cachers as it would be about 30 some miles west of Millinocket, 25 or so north of Greenville. I would hate to make that trip and put a lot of work into a cache that 1 or 2 people might visit in a years time. Just looking for input at this point. THANKS! :D

Opalsns
06-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Well with all the cachers that go to Canada, I'm sure yours would be on a cache route.
And , as always, ....
If you place it , They will come!!!!!!!!!

brdad
06-25-2008, 02:37 PM
A. Some of the best caches are the ones that only get a few visits a year.
B. Some of the best caches are those which the placer derives from his/her personal interest.
C. I like good caches, even when I don't know who you're talking about!

Sudonim
06-25-2008, 02:54 PM
The Colour Out of Space was one of my favorite stories when I was a kid. Lovecraft described what 50 years later would be radiation poisoning.
If you put a cache "out there", you won't get the volume of traffic you would in town, but the cachers that do it will really appreciate a well done cache. Don't let "find numbers" tell you how much people like the cache, I've got some that are way out that get more good comments than a quickly done cache in an easy to access location.

firefighterjake
06-25-2008, 03:27 PM
I am considering making a multi-cache based on H.P.Lovecraft, or more so one of his many short stories. If you do not know about H.P.Lovecraft, google his name and read up on him, and his writing. He was a Gothic Horror writer in the 1920s to 1937, when he died at the age of 47. He was writing horror long before that genre was poplular. His writing influenced the likes of Stephen King, Jeffrey Dever, John Carpenter, Dean Koontz, and many of the popular horror writers of today. Lovecraft took his cues from Edgar Allen Poe. We all know about a Poe inspired mystery cache in the Orono area. I am in hopes of putting something together as a mystery multi-cache based on one of his stories. I am looking for some input as to how many would be interested in that? Also it would be a significant drive for most cachers as it would be about 30 some miles west of Millinocket, 25 or so north of Greenville. I would hate to make that trip and put a lot of work into a cache that 1 or 2 people might visit in a years time. Just looking for input at this point. THANKS! :D

While it's always enjoyable to see folks log finds I often find that the logs I enjoy reading and writing involve caches that are memorable . . . memorable for their scenic views, theme, history, etc. In other words I would much rather own and find a cache that interests me as opposed to owning or finding a dozen caches that were placed just for the sake of being placed.

Personally, I would suspect that such a cache may not get a lot of hits . . . but as Opalsns said . . . if you place, they will come . . . just sometimes not right away.

So in summation . . . a well done cache to me is worth the time and effort. I will say however that while distance is one factor that may influence the number of cachers seeking out this cache, another factor is it being a multi. I know that I personally skip over some multis when I'm traveling through an area since I often don't have the time to commit to the search if it's more than one or two stages . . . again, just me personally.

Final thought . . . having done several of your caches and enjoyed them all . . . I would say that whatever cache you place would not be a waste of time or unenjoyable for cachers. Your caches have taken me to some nice places in some great out-of-the-way and close-to-home (or rather work) locations.

hollora
06-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Never heard of the author - Thanks for introducing me to someone new.

A well done cache will be visited. With gas prices, folks would make it part of a ride to the area. There are some nice caches in both areas so there would be a reason to take a ride.

I like multis but prefer the ones where the stages stand alone on the way the final (yeah, I like a smilie for each stage). JMHO

Team2hunt
06-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Doing something that you love. Or doing something that you think others will love.

Hmmmmmm...........I know my answer. :)

Place it and they will come.

Here is the H.P.Lovecraft cache in Rhode Island: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC9497&Submit6.x=3&Submit6.y=5

vicbiker
06-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Never heard of the author - Thanks for introducing me to someone new. Thats understandable...When you began reading ...Edgar Allen Poe had just began writing.:D

Hiram357
06-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Thats understandable...When you began reading ...Edgar Allen Poe had just began writing.:D

yeah, but when vic began reading... err... when reading was first invented when vic was in his mid 20s.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:D:p (ya left yourself open for that one) :p

hollora
06-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Thats understandable...When you began reading ...Edgar Allen Poe had just began writing.:D

Hee hee hee - vic if I didn't love ya so much I would put tacks out on the road for ya. ;) All Kidding aside - don't let this grey hair fool you. My mother went grey early in life ~ it's inherited. I am a bit after Poe and actually not to far from King.:eek: LOL ~ didn't tell ya, which side!:rolleyes:

EvilHomer
06-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Yea, instead of a multi I could make it a 3-4 or 5 "series" cache and make people collect info from each cache to form the cords to the final cache site, and consider that leg two of the final cache: ie 1 reg cache, 2 reg cache, 3 reg cache, 4 a 2 part multi, or mystery cache with part 2 being the final cache at the final location. Does anyone know of any others like this?

firefighterjake
06-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Yea, instead of a multi I could make it a 3-4 or 5 "series" cache and make people collect info from each cache to form the cords to the final cache site, and consider that leg two of the final cache: ie 1 reg cache, 2 reg cache, 3 reg cache, 4 a 2 part multi, or mystery cache with part 2 being the final cache at the final location. Does anyone know of any others like this?

Maniac1957 has a Route 2 Tour . . . set up along the same lines. There are a series of individual caches along a route . . . at each cache you are given a number for the coords for the final cache. Like Hollora I like these much better . . . namely because I can do a few at a time if I so choose and then go back and do the rest at a later time . . . something you can do with a traditional multi as well . . . but with a series like this I just enjoy it more since I feel as though I'm "getting" an extra. These types of multis can be enjoyable . . . and I should go on record as saying that I also like "short range" multis such as MsTeeLee's Critter Cache multi in Bangor.

hollora
06-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Maniac1957 has a Route 2 Tour . . . set up along the same lines. There are a series of individual caches along a route . . . at each cache you are given a number for the coords for the final cache. Like Hollora I like these much better . . . namely because I can do a few at a time if I so choose and then go back and do the rest at a later time . . . something you can do with a traditional multi as well . . . but with a series like this I just enjoy it more since I feel as though I'm "getting" an extra. These types of multis can be enjoyable . . . and I should go on record as saying that I also like "short range" multis such as MsTeeLee's Critter Cache multi in Bangor.

Am planning on doing MsTeeLee's a bit later when the bugs aren't as mighty.......but it sounds like fun and I am looking forward to it.:)

Sudonim
06-26-2008, 02:08 PM
It's a critter cache, there are supposed to be bugs there :)

hollora
06-26-2008, 02:28 PM
It's a critter cache, there are supposed to be bugs there :)

Yeah but not ones to bite me!:D

vicbiker
06-26-2008, 08:43 PM
I agree that a series type cache is much more fun to do, especially if it's that far away. I assume you are talking about the Golden Road area. A series cache in this location would help to make a loop from Greenville to Millinocket, which is needed in my opinion. I would be willing to put out a few more in the area, just to sweeten the pot. With the ones already in Lily Bay, Kokadjo, Ripojenus and Abol areas this could be a must do run. Let me know if I can help.

EvilHomer
06-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Yes it would be in that area. I am just trying to figure out how to put out caches with codes to the final cache with out knowing for sure the cords to the last cache. Yea wrap your mind around that. :) I would have to make two trips and I dont know if I would be able to do it, and if I didnt do that then I think some of the fun might be taken away from what I have in mind. I have to think about it for a while. So far I have at least four regular caches, then one final secret cache that you find after doing the other four. Number four would essentially be a two part multi. The Lovecraft short story has 5 parts to it. Each cache along the way would be centered around that part of the story. Cachers would have to read part of the story included in the cache to glean clues to decode the final cords to cache #5. The other thing I need to think about is how spread out should it be? Do I start it here in the Bangor area and work it up that way, or do I put them relatively together in a 5-10 mile radius of the final cache? The wheels are turning, and the smoke is churning! :)

Sudonim
06-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Yes it would be in that area. I am just trying to figure out how to put out caches with codes to the final cache with out knowing for sure the cords to the last cache.

Can you work backwards from the final? You would know the coords, then incorporate hints to that cache at the other stages as you place them until you get to the "first" cache.

vicbiker
06-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Can you work backwards from the final? I found this out when doing my Seinfield series. You have to know the finish before the start.:confused:A woman brought a book up to the counter, back when I sold antiques. Can you help me she said? This book has three dates of when it was printed. 1912, 1952, and 1964. Can you tell me which year this one was printed? 1964 was my answer. How can you tell? Well I don't think in 1912 they had any idea they would be reprinting the book in 1952 or 1964.:rolleyes:

EvilHomer
06-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Can you work backwards from the final? You would know the coords, then incorporate hints to that cache at the other stages as you place them until you get to the "first" cache.

I thought about that but the problem is I wanted to have nice laminated sheets in each cache with the story and the hints on them. I didnt want to have to do it by hand as I worked backwards.

hide_from_the_kids
06-27-2008, 10:00 PM
At Wal-mart They Sell A Self Sticking 4x6 Laminating Sheet That You Could Use. As We Know A Printed Item May Look Better ,but I Feel The More Personal The Better The Cache.

EvilHomer
07-07-2008, 11:31 AM
I made a recon trip to the area I thought about placing this cache series. After careful thought I believe I will scrap this idea. The area is way out there and you have to pay to access the roads in question. Also after talking to the gate house lady, she advised that the locals are not that "friendly" to outsiders. I dont want to stir anything up. If anyone is interested in the story I had read that gave me the idea. Go to : http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/index.html
and read : THE THING ON THE DOORSTEP. It will reveal where I had a plan to go. If you check out google maps you will see a place called Graveyard Point on Chesuncook Lake. I was so stoked. Oh well.

balinda
07-08-2008, 10:06 AM
There is a Graveyard Point Road in Harpswell, ME. It has a fairly large graveyard but not a lot of trees.