View Full Version : The Real Dread Thread

Diggler
03-31-2005, 11:28 PM
Well this thread should be for the challenging/scary/adventurous/underwater/dragon-guarded caches I think, so that those looking for some serious action can know where it's at. I'm obviously biased in my first recommendation, and I think this only barely lives up to the supposed requirements, but I have to plug my own: Drum n Bass Arena (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=69e5e214-edf1-4343-a6ca-197ead299580). From the ammount of Bear-related incidents in this area that I've been hearing, I'll be packing my Taurus Tracker .44 magnum (http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=44%20TRACKER&category=Revolver) on future trips here just in case. Enjoy

steverph
04-03-2005, 09:02 AM
If my memory serves me correctly, I climbed this mountain during the summer of 1970. We were camping at Harrington Lake. There was a firetower at the top with a well worn trail. We met the fire warden on our way down. He had a backpack full of storage batteries and legs like coil springs. It was a challenging hike with the trail. Must be a real trip without one.

d’76
04-03-2005, 09:27 AM
The Taurus 44 mag must be the geohandgun of choice. Thats what I carry when deep woods caching.

steverph
04-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Taurus .357 mag model 669VR is the best I can do.

Mainiac1957
04-04-2005, 07:22 PM
I have my Colt 45 Auto, and my Colt 6" Stainless Steel Python .357 magnum. Either one would work in this state as a carry gun.

d’76
04-05-2005, 12:35 PM
When I do urban Caches it's a Glock 357 sig. It's light and easy to conceal

Diggler
04-05-2005, 08:03 PM
"Urban caches"? In Detroit I might carry, but in Maine, come on. I don't even really expect to find any serious action from big game in the woods, I carry just in case, and target shoot more often. The geocahcers that have the most to worry about are in Southern California where there's alot of mountain lions around the trails of suburbia. They'd do well to carry a .45 auto anyway. The possible bear threat in some places though really calls for a .44 mag.

steverph
04-05-2005, 08:41 PM
I think you meet some of the more dangerous animals in Maine in the city instead of the woods. Never hurts to be prepared.

Ye Olde Prospector
04-05-2005, 10:11 PM
I've hunted, fished and prospected in the mountains of Maine and New Hampshire all my life. I am more concerned about people with guns and so called hunters in the woods than I m about wild animals attacking me. I spend most of my time alone in the woods and have at one time or another seen about every wild animal that roams the woods (close up) and have yet to see any agressive approaches. Most wild animals will spot you long before you even see them and disappear quickly. I'd be more worried about getting mugged on some back street in Portland or Bangor than being attcked by some wild animal in the woods. Just try to find some documented cases of animal attacks here in Maine. To each his own.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cliff

brdad
04-06-2005, 06:12 AM
Anyone who thinks there's nothing scary in the woods hasn't met [Insert name of your favorite cacher here] on the trail. :D

Mainiac1957
04-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Anyone who thinks there's nothing scary in the woods hasn't met [Brdad] on the trail. :D
:p I just HAD to do it,sorry Dave. :p

WhereRWe?
04-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Anyone who thinks there's nothing scary in the woods hasn't met [Insert name of your favorite cacher here] on the trail. :D

I'm never afraid when I go into the woods. I usually have RULOST2? with me.

:o

Beach Comber
04-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Yikes - I've not been worried enough in the woods to even consider carry a weapon the magnitude of a gun. YOP shared his philosophy with me .... "Most wild animals will spot you long before you even see them and disappear quickly." He is far more experienced in the outdoor arena than I so I gained great peace of mind with that bit of information. I remain alert and aware of my surroundings, but not fearful. This whole discussion makes me think a bit more about what other people I meet along the way may have in their possession for sure. I carry pepper spray as a means to pacify my family who worry when I venture out alone. Sounds like others think I might be wise to carry it with me as I venture around Portland, though having lived here for 20 years now, I can tell you that I have not once felt as though I needed to have it with me.

d’76
04-06-2005, 10:06 AM
I respect everyones decision to carry or not to carry.

Unforuntley I agree with everyone. I wish it wasn't so. I feel that people are the biggest threat in the maine woods and local area caches. I never feel uncomfortable in the woods, however in the cities it's another question. I beleive that there are far more bad people than there ever is bad animals.

Realize that I don't think that just anyone should carry a concealed weapon. I have had extensive firearm trainning. Unfortunatly anyone who has a clean police record also can carry a firearm conceal.. I think you would be surprized how many people carry. I know that I was

brdad
04-06-2005, 02:45 PM
:p I just HAD to do it,sorry Dave. :p

Wow, I always thought I was your favorite cacher, but thanks for confirming it! ;)

Pooh and friends
04-09-2005, 12:38 AM
I dont carry while caching even though I hold a concealed weapons permit. Once in a while I'll bring it (a pre-ban Ruger P-85, 15 in the clip and one in the pipe) just to do some plinking. I'm more afraid of breaking a leg and not being found :eek: than I am of any animal or person attacks.

bearfirefighter
04-09-2005, 10:56 AM
All I have is my glock 17, I've never thought of carrying while caching, but that makes sense in the deep woods-I think a colt 45 would do the trick, or maybe a 30-06, but that's a lot of hardware to hump while caching. The other good thing to remember is to give Bears space and never get to close to the little ones-maternal instincts tend to make females of any species a little less than happy-and as the saying goes, when Momma aint happy, aint nobody happy. That's my thought, but I could be accused of being biased;) :D

Dave and Gail
04-20-2006, 08:24 PM
I think that its a persons right to carry a firearm if they choose to, as long as they are law abiding citizens and properly trained in handling firearms. I dont worry about these kind of people carrying firearms. Criminals dont care if they have a permit or not anyway. I dont carry one in public personally, although I can if I wish, I just avoid the potentially dangerous areas at night. When I am in the deep woods though, I am usually armed, My choice!! I gotta tell ya, I have spent most of my life in the north Maine woods, Hunting, fishing , Hiking, exploring and I have also seen most every critter there is. Most of the time they will avoid you if at all possible...BUT , I have been charged by a bull moose once.. It was in the fall, their mating season, and I accidently interrupted Him and his mate...courting. He was not a happy camper!! When a 800 to 900 lb. animal is boring down on you with snot flying out of his nose its,not a real good feeling. I dont think a shot of pepper spray would have slowed him down at all. I ran like a scared school child to a huge pine tree and hid behind it and he stopped about 10 yards from it and was pawing the ground and shaking his head. all I had with me was a single shot 12 guage and #6 birdshot. I fired one shot over his head and he wheeled around and left the area. After cleaning my shorts and stuffing my heart back in my chest , I departed the area also!! I reported this to the local Warden and he said it was a "false charge",, When does an attack get documented?? Do you actually have to get stomped into the ground?? I love to watch wildlife in Maine as much as the next person, and would never want to dispatch an animal for no good reason, but if it comes down to me or it, I like to be prepared. This may never happen again in my lifetime, I hope,but, If it does Im not gonna lose!! Thats my story and Im sticking to it!!

Hiram357
04-20-2006, 09:14 PM

*sigh* oh dave.... dave, dave, dave, dave.... dave....:rolleyes:

Kacky
04-20-2006, 09:30 PM
I have only been caching for about a month. One of the first times I was out, a siberian husky ran past me. He startled me but he was having none of me, so I wasn't scared, although he was not attached to any person. I was all alone in the woods because I cache during weekdays and work at night. It reminded me of news stories I've seen of rottweilers running in packs because they get away from their idiotic owners, who don't go after them because they are afraid to be evicted or get caught for not licensing. I think I would have a much better chance of hitting one with mace than with a bullet.

Hiram357
04-20-2006, 09:31 PM
I agree with just about everything that has been said already, what it boils down to for me is common sense. I (being a boy scout at one time in my life) Never leave unprepared. There are many times when I go out that I would never consider carrying a gun... I think of all the potentially bad situations just carrying a gun could put me in. But then again I think of the positive, a 900lb angry moose and me by myself... yeah, I think I would want to have a gun with me. Going urban caching and playing vigalante... uhhh no, I think I would stick to a MacGyver approach for urban caching. Those of us that are gun owners need to be responsible ones that care about others and let those thoughts counduct our actions.

Beach Comber
04-20-2006, 09:33 PM
I think that its a persons right to carry a firearm if they choose to, as long as they are law abiding citizens and properly trained in handling firearms. I dont worry about these kind of people carrying firearms. Criminals dont care if they have a permit or not anyway. I dont carry one in public personally, although I can if I wish, I just avoid the potentially dangerous areas at night. When I am in the deep woods though, I am usually armed, My choice!! I gotta tell ya, I have spent most of my life in the north Maine woods, Hunting, fishing , Hiking, exploring and I have also seen most every critter there is. Most of the time they will avoid you if at all possible...BUT , I have been charged by a bull moose once.. It was in the fall, their mating season, and I accidently interrupted Him and his mate...courting. He was not a happy camper!! When a 800 to 900 lb. animal is boring down on you with snot flying out of his nose its,not a real good feeling. I dont think a shot of pepper spray would have slowed him down at all. I ran like a scared school child to a huge pine tree and hid behind it and he stopped about 10 yards from it and was pawing the ground and shaking his head. all I had with me was a single shot 12 guage and #6 birdshot. I fired one shot over his head and he wheeled around and left the area. After cleaning my shorts and stuffing my heart back in my chest , I departed the area also!! I reported this to the local Warden and he said it was a "false charge",, When does an attack get documented?? Do you actually have to get stomped into the ground?? I love to watch wildlife in Maine as much as the next person, and would never want to dispatch an animal for no good reason, but if it comes down to me or it, I like to be prepared. This may never happen again in my lifetime, I hope,but, If it does Im not gonna lose!! Thats my story and Im sticking to it!!

Two things jump to mind.....

One is that I'm not sure I would any size animal running at me with snot flying out of its nose - lol. And I'm not all that excited about having any humans doing that either :eek:

The other is that when I said I carry pepper spray with me, I should have clarified that it is in case I meet some irrational humans along the way. I have never imagined that pepper spray would do much for an animal other than make it even more mad and I'm not sure I would take the chance. I would probably choose to run like a school child too. :p

Hiram357
04-20-2006, 09:33 PM
I have only been chaching for about a month. One of the first times I was out, a siberian husky ran past me. He startled me but he was having none of me, so I wasn't scared, although he was not attached to any person. I was all alone in the woods because I cache during weekdays and work at night. It reminded me of news stories I've seen of rottweilers running in packs because they get away from their idiotic owners, who don't go after them because they are afraid to be evicted or get caught for not licensing. I think I would have a much better chance of hitting one with mace than with a bullet.

That brings up a whole nutha subject... the gun is only as good as the owner...

Hiram357
04-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Well this thread should be for the challenging/scary/adventurous/underwater/dragon-guarded caches I think, so that those looking for some serious action can know where it's at. I'm obviously biased in my first recommendation, and I think this only barely lives up to the supposed requirements, but I have to plug my own: Drum n Bass Arena (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=69e5e214-edf1-4343-a6ca-197ead299580). From the ammount of Bear-related incidents in this area that I've been hearing, I'll be packing my Taurus Tracker .44 magnum (http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=44%20TRACKER&category=Revolver) on future trips here just in case. Enjoy

I did Drum n Bass last summer, it was a nice bushwhack, no clear trail, the base of the hill was all clearcut, took about 45mins/1hr to get to the top, to find a cache scattered accross the hilltop and a pez container chewed to bits. But the fire tower (what's left of it) made for some cool pics. There were lots of moose tracks (and I mean lots) it was definitely an adventure wandering aimlessly through woods. :D

Hiram357
04-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Two things jump to mind.....

One is that I'm not sure I would any size animal running at me with snot flying out of its nose - lol. And I'm not all that excited about having any humans doing that either :eek:

The other is that when I said I carry pepper spray with me, I should have clarified that it is in case I meet some irrational humans along the way. I have never imagined that pepper spray would do much for an animal other than make it even more mad and I'm not sure I would take the chance. I would probably choose to run like a school child too. :p

you forgot about the "waving your arms madly screaming like a girl yelling for mother...":D

Beach Comber
04-20-2006, 10:40 PM
you forgot about the "waving your arms madly screaming like a girl yelling for mother...":D

I'd probably be yelling for my daddy - lol

Hiram357
04-21-2006, 06:42 AM
I'd probably be yelling for my daddy - lol Hey, like I've been saying, what you do is your perrogative... (just make sure you do it responsibly):D

d’76
04-21-2006, 07:10 AM
many times when I carry doing urban caches I carry becuase of 2 reasons. One People that think they want to inflict harm on me or girlmate(you read about it every week in the paper) and the other is dogs. Go to the Bangor city forest and watch all the big dogs running about with no owner in site. Not everyone likes dogs and I am on of those people. So, dogs are as bad as people and I wouldnt hasitate on either, when I feel that my security is being jeopordized..:)

FuddsGirls
04-21-2006, 07:50 AM
My husband got rid of his hand guns when we had children. I geocache with my girls and I tell you we never see animals, they hear us from a mile away. If a place feels so unsafe to cache at with my family that I'd need a gun, I thnk I wouldn't go there. The only dogs that nipped at my kids were on a leash and the owner encouraged them to be pet so the dogs could learn. But hey, we're still pretty new at this. Hiking some mountain and camping in the middle of no where might make me feel differently.

becket
04-21-2006, 07:50 AM
i'm glad that i'm not the only "i'm not a dog lover" person here! i've also had a lot of dogs run up to me when i've been out caching. i guess leash laws don't apply anywhere i've cached! i did a cache in the mid-coast area and the dog's owner said to me in total disgust "he's perfectly harmless" (as i stood there perfectly motionless.) most owners say that about their dogs. well, how am i supposed to know whether the dog is harmless or not? just because the (*&$# rotweiler's name is "fluffy" doesn't mean i'm going to walk up to it!

firefighterjake
04-21-2006, 08:18 AM
i'm glad that i'm not the only "i'm not a dog lover" person here! i've also had a lot of dogs run up to me when i've been out caching. i guess leash laws don't apply anywhere i've cached! i did a cache in the mid-coast area and the dog's owner said to me in total disgust "he's perfectly harmless" (as i stood there perfectly motionless.) most owners say that about their dogs. well, how am i supposed to know whether the dog is harmless or not? just because the (*&$# rotweiler's name is "fluffy" doesn't mean i'm going to walk up to it!

I'm more of a cat person myself. I have to say that I can't ever recall having a cat run up to me and start growling or meowing at me repeatedly while out geocaching. :D I have had some unleashed dogs do this . . . and don't get me started on doggie landmines in public parks . . .:mad:

However, I don't have a problem with unleashed dogs in general providing that the owners are able to keep them restrained (i.e. in public view, they're not barking and growling at everyone, etc.)

Of course I don't have any problem with ferocious dogs anyways . . . the dogs I have run across generally take one look at my ugly mug and run back to their owners with their tail between their legs. :D

firefighterjake
04-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Not to stir up a pro/anti gun-carrying debate here, but I personally don't carry anything . . . unless you consider one of my signature items as a personal defensive weapon ("Get back dog, get back or so help me I'll throw this wooden ladder and make you play fetch with me" . . . "Back off man. I've got a white #98 ladder on me and I'm not afraid to use it.")

I will say this though . . . I think many times the perception of personal danger to us as geocachers and as people in general (geocachers are people too, right? :) ) is over-blown. Granted I'm only 35 (it is 2006 right?) and I probably live a relatively sheltered life in Unity/Bangor, Maine . . . but I have yet to be assaulted or feel threatened by any person in my entire life. I guess I don't feel the need to carry anything on me for personal protection . . . my choice, not a choice everyone would make and I'm OK with that . . . hakuna matata you know.

I suppose dogs might be another issue for some folks, but once again I've found in general that usually if I stand my ground and don't make any threatening moves and show that I'm in control they seem to either back down or we're at a standstill until the owner shows up. As for wild critters, I don't worry too much . . . of course attempting to pet the male moose during rutting season is just asking for trouble of a whole different kind. Ditto with getting between a mother and her young . . . or attempting to play with that raccoon who is stumbling all over the place around lunchtime and is overly friendly ("Don't worry about rabies, kids. Keep playing with Rocky . . . I'm sure he just had one too many martinis last night and that's why he's not home sleeping.")

Again, not to stir up any anti/pro gun debates. This is just my opinion.

Dave and Gail
04-21-2006, 08:54 AM
We have a Cat and a dog. The cat is about as useless as they come. Dont get me wrong , I am fairly attached to the thing, but all it does is eat, sleep, poop, eat ,sleep, poop, and then walk around your head at night making that cute purring noise. It hates to go for rides in the truck, cant take it camping, wont fetch a stick , does not even know one single trick, even for food!! Ever try to get a cat to go swimming with you?? Not pretty!! Now our dog on the other hand, is a different story. He just loves to go for rides , loves to go camping, loves to dive off the rocks at Gauntlet falls{his favorite place}, will fetch sticks all day long, knows all kind of tricks{for food of course}, and stays in one spot at night and never walks over your face while youre sleeping. HE lets you know when someone or something is nearby instead of running for the cellar. Cats vs Dogs??? Well I do like Cats,,,specially with a little ketchup!!

Smitty & Co.
04-21-2006, 09:01 AM
I've hunted, fished and prospected in the mountains of Maine and New Hampshire all my life. I am more concerned about people with guns and so called hunters in the woods than I m about wild animals attacking me. I spend most of my time alone in the woods and have at one time or another seen about every wild animal that roams the woods (close up) and have yet to see any agressive approaches. Most wild animals will spot you long before you even see them and disappear quickly. I'd be more worried about getting mugged on some back street in Portland or Bangor than being attcked by some wild animal in the woods. Just try to find some documented cases of animal attacks here in Maine. To each his own.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cliff

I'm in total agreement with YOP.

Dave and Gail
04-21-2006, 09:01 AM
I dont feel to afraid of those tough looking Gang members you see hanging aorund these days, you know the ones with the black clothes and look like they fell face first into the fishing tackle box!! Makes me laugh, and besides, If you just run from them youll be OK, cause how fast can a person run with the crotch of their pants down at their knees??

Smitty & Co.
04-21-2006, 09:10 AM
. I have never imagined that pepper spray would do much for an animal other than make it even more mad and I'm not sure I would take the chance. I would probably choose to run like a school child too. :p

Actually, Pepper spray is one of the BEST bear repellants. :D

becket
04-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Not to stir up a pro/anti gun-carrying debate here, but I personally don't carry anything . . . unless you consider one of my signature items as a personal defensive weapon

Again, not to stir up any anti/pro gun debates. This is just my opinion.

the only thing i have with me is my walking stick, when i remember to take it. i rely on my "6th sense" - if i get a bad feeling about a place, i leave. (after driving the 9 million miles through the mud to get to m57's "don't pushaw your luck" cache, i got out of my car, took 2 steps and got back in and left.) i do think about safety however. my friends keep telling me to get some pepper spray (which i would end up spraying in MY face.) my friend shay-shay was after me to take anything i had that sprayed - preferably hair spray. i told her the only spray stuff i had was butter flavored pam. geez!

firefighterjake
04-21-2006, 09:18 AM
We have a Cat and a dog. The cat is about as useless as they come. Dont get me wrong , I am fairly attached to the thing, but all it does is eat, sleep, poop, eat ,sleep, poop, and then walk around your head at night making that cute purring noise. It hates to go for rides in the truck, cant take it camping, wont fetch a stick , does not even know one single trick, even for food!! Ever try to get a cat to go swimming with you?? Not pretty!! Now our dog on the other hand, is a different story. He just loves to go for rides , loves to go camping, loves to dive off the rocks at Gauntlet falls{his favorite place}, will fetch sticks all day long, knows all kind of tricks{for food of course}, and stays in one spot at night and never walks over your face while youre sleeping. HE lets you know when someone or something is nearby instead of running for the cellar. Cats vs Dogs??? Well I do like Cats,,,specially with a little ketchup!!

Ut oh . . . now I've done it. Forget the pro/anti hand gun debate . . . now it will be a cat vs. dog debate. :D

Well, Dave . . . not that I'm saying that a smelly, slobbering, bark-at-everything-that-moves, shove-their-nose-into-a-porcupine-filling-it-with-quills dog that poops wherever he wants outside is not as good as a cat, but I do have to take issues with a few of your comments.

First off, I have a Manx cat, Theodore Roosevelt, that thinks he is a dog. I say this because when he was young he would actually try to chase cars going by the house and we could even get him to play fetch with us by throwing a stuffed Snoopy. When he was younger (and even today) he enjoyed digging holes everywhere.

Also, while none of my current batch of cats like riding in a car (in fact most of them ralph all over the cat carrier and carry on with this ear-shrieking cater-walling that is enough to drive a man to drink), I did have one cat, Woodrow Wilson, who loved to ride in cars. He would either sit behind the back seats on the "shelf" and watch the scenery passing by or he would stand between the front seats with his front paws on the dash watching the on-coming traffic.

As for personal protection . . . I'm not saying that I would trust any of my cats to come to my aid if I was getting a beating, but Calvin Coolidge (an obsese Persian) will often raise a ruckus whenever he sees a strange animal in the back yard. I once also used Teddy to try to take on a squirrel that had found its way into our house, but that's a whole other story that abruptly ended with my wife yelling for me to not let Teddy kill the squirrel even though she was locked in the bedroom under the covers in fear.

You do have me on the swimming issue. I haven't had a cat yet that has liked the water or getting bathed, but in contrast I will say that if you have a good cat you should never have to worry about critters in your home. Mice, rats, moles . . . never a problem. Of course there are a couple downsides. 1) I can't seem to convince my cats that there are bad critters that I want them to kill (i.e. mice, rats, moles) and then there are good critters that I don't want them to kill (i.e. chipmunks, birds). 2) I don't mind the killing sprees that they go on with wanton abandonment -- I just wish they didn't feel compelled to bring back the carcasses and plop them on the back deck for me to admire (I've got a regular kill zone cemetery going on in one corner of my yard . . . some day an archelogist will come along and wonder why there are so many mice, bird and mole skeletons in one place.)

firefighterjake
04-21-2006, 09:22 AM
I dont feel to afraid of those tough looking Gang members you see hanging aorund these days, you know the ones with the black clothes and look like they fell face first into the fishing tackle box!! Makes me laugh, and besides, If you just run from them youll be OK, cause how fast can a person run with the crotch of their pants down at their knees??

This reminds me of a true story.

I was teaching a CPR class in Bangor and was talking about occasions when you would not want to continue to do CPR (i.e. exhausted, person is declared dead by paramedics, person has a DNR order, etc.) and we began talking about stopping when you are in danger yourself.

Most folks talk about doing CPR too close to a fire scene, traffic accident, near power lines, etc., but I actually had one person that said in all seriousness . . .

"Another example would be if you were doing CPR in a City like Bangor and you were in gang territory."

Right . . . can't tell you how often I see a member of the Bloods and Crips in my day-to-day work. ;) :D

firefighterjake
04-21-2006, 09:24 AM
Actually, Pepper spray is one of the BEST bear repellants. :D

My sister in Alaska says the "bear bells" that tourists wear are "dinner bells" to the grizzlies . . . and the pepper spray is for the bears to "season their dinner." :D

firefighterjake
04-21-2006, 09:26 AM
the only thing i have with me is my walking stick, when i remember to take it. i rely on my "6th sense" - if i get a bad feeling about a place, i leave. (after driving the 9 million miles through the mud to get to m57's "don't pushaw your luck" cache, i got out of my car, took 2 steps and got back in and left.) i do think about safety however. my friends keep telling me to get some pepper spray (which i would end up spraying in MY face.) my friend shay-shay was after me to take anything i had that sprayed - preferably hair spray. i told her the only spray stuff i had was butter flavored pam. geez!

It may only be a walking stick, but I've seen Becket wield it like a veteran Black Belt with a pike staff . . . she's lethal I tell ya. She may seem reserved and mild-mannered, but when she starts doing those aerial somersaults and blackflips and spinning that walking stick around everyone near her runs in fear. :D

Dave and Gail
04-21-2006, 09:33 AM
I know Karate,,and 4 other japanese words!!

Dave and Gail
04-21-2006, 09:37 AM
Actually,,If a bear is on top of me, I think a .45 up the nose would work better than a shot of pepper, besides if they sneeze in your face its really messy.

becket
04-21-2006, 10:15 AM
It may only be a walking stick, but I've seen Becket wield it like a veteran Black Belt with a pike staff . . . she's lethal I tell ya. She may seem reserved and mild-mannered, but when she starts doing those aerial somersaults and blackflips and spinning that walking stick around everyone near her runs in fear. :D

ohmygod, ffjake! and i wasn't even done laughing about the names of your cats!

Kacky
04-21-2006, 10:30 AM
I love dogs, and all the friendly ones love me back. Just that some of em ain't so friendly.

firefighterjake
04-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Actually,,If a bear is on top of me, I think a .45 up the nose would work better than a shot of pepper, besides if they sneeze in your face its really messy.

Uh, Dave . . . what you do with a bear in the privacy of the Northern Maine woods is your own concern. :D

firefighterjake
04-21-2006, 10:45 AM
ohmygod, ffjake! and i wasn't even done laughing about the names of your cats!

Laughing about my cats' names? What's so funny about them? If anything is funny, as in odd, it's that their personality suits most of them. Theodore Roosevelt is always on the run and loves the outdoors. John Tyler is the oldest and the most complacent of the group. Calvin Coolidge on the other hand is anything but "Silent Cal" . . . we should have named him Taft due to his weight issues. My wife and I also have two other cats, but for some reason we didn't name them after the First Ladys . . . there's Thumper, a Manx with spina bifida that causes her to hop around (that and the stump of a tail makes her look like a "cabbit") and Lucky (so named since she's nearly all black and has nearly died twice now -- once when someone threw her out into the cold a couple of Januarys ago during a particularly cold stretch of weather and once when my wife found her caught up in the blind cord.)

d’76
04-21-2006, 09:42 PM
So after a saint bernard attacks you and now you are mutated for life and cant stand the touch of your boyfriends hand on your leg, all because some one else didnt think that the leash law was important. And also now even the softest and cutest dog is still a dog and seeing them unleashed brings back flash backs much like the ones that vietnam vets experiance.

So when you feel that it is ok to let your dog run free in the woods think again, some day some one will have an adverse reaction to it. Maine does have a leash law and some people think it is ok to not leash there animals. When the damage is done and it is to late, dog owners will say GESSH I am so sorry that has never happened before. HAS anyone ever had some one killed to a drunk driver? It is much like the same. GESSSHH, I only had a few beers and that has never happened before.

Hiram357
04-21-2006, 10:06 PM
So after a saint bernard attacks you and now you are mutated for life and cant stand the touch of your boyfriends hand on your leg, all because some one else didnt think that the leash law was important.

sooooooo.... uhhh.. dave... are you saying that you can't stand the touch of your boyfriends hand on you leg???? :confused::confused:;);)

Beach Comber
04-21-2006, 10:21 PM
that is how i read it hiram :eek:

Hiram357
04-21-2006, 10:27 PM
that is how i read it hiram :eek:

yeah, I think J said it best when he said...

Uh, Dave . . . what you do with a bear in the privacy of the Northern Maine woods is your own concern.

d’76
04-21-2006, 11:06 PM
sooooooo.... uhhh.. dave... are you saying that you can't stand the touch of your boyfriends hand on you leg???? :confused::confused:;);)

So ..... some times there is a time to screw around and there is a time to be serious.

This happens to be one of those serious times. Some of you know her as Girlmate, others of you know her as Constance. This is the girl that I have a very powerful relationship with who was attacked by one of the very dogs that everyone thought would never hurt a soul. So when, Constance wakes up in the middle of the night screaming remembering the day that the flesh was ripped off her leg and she watched the whole thing happen and it takes hours to get her back then we can all laugh and have a good time. Pinch yourself on the inside of your leg sometime and see if if hurts then let me know.

And so now you get to see the scars everyday and relive that every time you see it and OBTW and will never were shorts even on the hottest summer day in fear that someone wll stare.

Beach Comber
04-22-2006, 07:32 AM
My apologies! This means of talking is certainly challenging for situations such as this - one never knows if there is additional information behind the words or if the words are just playful bantering. In this case, it clearly had meaning and was not playful. Sorry that Connie has to experience that!

d’76
04-22-2006, 07:38 AM
My apologies! This means of talking is certainly challenging for situations such as this - one never knows if there is additional information behind the words or if the words are just playful bantering. In this case, it clearly had meaning and was not playful. Sorry that Connie has to experience that!

I have to admit that I chuckled when I saw that, Hiram is quick. I really want to get my point across that dogs belong on a leash. Those arent my rules.

Hiram357
04-22-2006, 07:33 PM
sorry dave, no idea... :(

firefighterjake
04-22-2006, 09:55 PM
So ..... some times there is a time to screw around and there is a time to be serious.

This happens to be one of those serious times. Some of you know her as Girlmate, others of you know her as Constance. This is the girl that I have a very powerful relationship with who was attacked by one of the very dogs that everyone thought would never hurt a soul. So when, Constance wakes up in the middle of the night screaming remembering the day that the flesh was ripped off her leg and she watched the whole thing happen and it takes hours to get her back then we can all laugh and have a good time. Pinch yourself on the inside of your leg sometime and see if if hurts then let me know.

And so now you get to see the scars everyday and relive that every time you see it and OBTW and will never were shorts even on the hottest summer day in fear that someone wll stare.

I kind of figured that you were talking about Girlmate . . . but in Hiram's defense I was thinking the same thing as he was . . . I just figured that you were talking about a real-life example and held my thoughts to myself.

Incidentally, my wife was attacked as a kid by a German Shepherd. No scars though. Fairly fortunate. She just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time as she and her brother were playing and some neighborhood children were taunting a police officer's K9 dog which was on a leash. Apparently the taunts escalated to throwing rocks at the poor dog. Somehow the dog eventually got loose. The kids responsible scattered and the dog just happened to find my wife as the first kid. She says she was mauled pretty badly . . . I'm guessing that maybe one of the reasons she doesn't have any scars from that is due to her very young age. To this day she is terrified of dogs when they jump up on her (no matter the size) . . . that and fish for some reason . . . but I still haven't heard the reasoning behind this. Sadly the German shepherd had to be put down as it was no longer considered safe to have around after this incident.

d’76
04-22-2006, 10:07 PM
the latest in glock technology, keeps you safe

http://glockmeister.com/images/kervork.jpg

this will be my next purchase... The dog subdoer 2000 http://videos.caught-on-video.com/category/Xtreme+Mishaps/0/CC9E27A5-9F20-494B-966A-D7DFE8A6E7B1.htm

Hiram357
04-22-2006, 10:22 PM
the latest in glock technology, keeps you safe

http://glockmeister.com/images/kervork.jpg

this will be my next purchase... The dog subdoer 2000 http://videos.caught-on-video.com/category/Xtreme+Mishaps/0/CC9E27A5-9F20-494B-966A-D7DFE8A6E7B1.htm

dave... how many times do i have to warn you about those glocks... look at how loose that trigger sits?? just a mild wind would probably set that off...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hiram357
04-22-2006, 10:27 PM
I kind of figured that you were talking about Girlmate . . . but in Hiram's defense I was thinking the same thing as he was . . . I just figured that you were talking about a real-life example and held my thoughts to myself. Yeah, and in my own defense i usually say the first thing that pops into my head without even thinking about it... and i've got the scars to prove it...