View Full Version : What did you do on the Fourth

vicbiker
07-05-2008, 09:18 PM
I started the fourth off by going caching in our states capital. Things were quiet when I arrived at around seven am, but the days events to come were already taking shape. Preparations for what I assume would be a parade were going forth, a chicken barbecue at Fort Western was underway, and everywhere else people were readying there own celebrations. This was my cue to head out of the city and do some of Mapachi's caches placed amongst the "bugs" who it turn out were enjoying their own celebration by chewing on me. I made it through Wiscasset just ahead of their parade, although I did grab the MMM cache before making my escape. My favorite cache of the day was next in line. Singing Meadows is one of those caches we all need to do sometime in our caching careers. But if you ever get to do this cache on the Fourth of July on a day like yesterday, with the sky blue, the sun shining bright, and the monarch butterflies frittering through the wild flowers, a doe and her fawn walking slowly across the meadow, then you'll have the experience I had yesterday. This experience coupled with Au Revoir, The Shell Game, and others in the area made think of the freedoms we all have in this country for the pursuit of happiness. Enjoying something as simple as geocaching is a freedom, a freedom, as Attroll pointed out in the video he shared with us, isn't allowed everyone.

Five years ago I found myself biking across Illinois on a very hot, humid Fourth of July. America's heartland, farmers. country people, average hard working Americans, all celebrating their freedoms. That evening found us, through what I only can contribute to a stroke of good fortune, camping at a "Steam Engine" show at a private campgrounds. I only say good fortune because this was a private affair that most outsiders will never get to see. I think we got invited to stay simply because these people, who by the way were all seniors, thought we must be crazy riding bicycles in that kind of heat. The youngest people there were a couple in their early seventies. Some were in there eighties, some in there nineties. They have been gathering here on the Fourth of July for years. As the sun started to set they built a huge fire, even though it was still at least eighty degrees, brought out musical instruments and began to sing all those songs old people sing at times like these. That evening talking to these people forever changed my outlook on life, on what really is important. These are some of the same people who charged up hills through machine gun fire during WW II, who return home to the farms to raise their families, so one day they could sing patriotic songs on the fourth.

What you may ask does one story have to do with the other. Well the answer is the freedom we all have to enjoy the simplest of pleasures. A freedom I think that is slowly being taken away from us by another freedom. That freedom is the right of all us to pursue the all mighty dollar. Run away greed by the rich is slowly taken away our right to see all that I saw yesterday, and these old folks right to gather and sing their songs. You see if things keep going as they are, we won;t be able to afford to get there.

Gob-ler
07-05-2008, 09:22 PM
A family get to gather in Old Orchard and on the way to that I stopped and completed my 100th Multi-cache Water Water Everywhere and not a drop to drink.

Traffic was quite lite and the trails were very empty.

And yes, the weather was perfect!

hide_from_the_kids
07-05-2008, 09:29 PM
I was at work while the rest of the team made ther way to water country in new hampshire. after work i enjoyed a 2 mile walk to get a cache (mile in mile out)and then went home while the rest of the team camped out in kennebunk for the night. we all enjoyed the fourth in our own ways. getting that one cache was the peak for my day.

Katadin Goddess
07-05-2008, 11:12 PM
went to NH with Onestep, did some rail trails and went to Mt Washington.

NativeMainer
07-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I worked (grumble grumble snarl snarl). It's the hazards of working in a pizza place. :(

darterkitfox
07-06-2008, 06:12 AM
Raked 150 camp sites. But any minute now my wife and I are headed to Ossipee to do the rail trail that everyone raved about. Unfortunately it took me almost 2 hours to write them all down on paper this morning and I'm tired all ready.

vicbiker
07-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Unfortunately it took me almost 2 hours to write them all down on paper this morning and I'm tired all ready. Stop! Stop! You're bringing back memories of last Fourth of July when I did the very same thing. Writing all that imfo down, wondering all the while if I wrote something wrong. Especially one of the co-ords, find myself a mile away from where I should have been, wondering why I can't find the cache. It sounded so easy.:rolleyes: Getting caught in the pouring rain, the imfo sheet now just a sad resemblance of it's former self.:eek: Gotta love that paperless caching.

Mainiac1957
07-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Quilting Mom & Mike and I headed the 10 miles out to Pushaw Lake CG for the weekend. The place was packed to the rafters with campers. We met some really nice folks, ate some good food and enjoyed all this awesome weather. We go out on the lake in our kayaks a few times too. I got Island Hoppers back up and running too. The Geopups had plenty of other dogs to socialize with. Nice place and our first time there.

On another note: They just headed to Rumford for the week to visit with QM's folks. I get to have a week of peace and quiet.:D;):rolleyes::cool:

kayaking loon
07-06-2008, 03:56 PM
I went to a yard sale early, got some good, brand new swag for caches, two bags full for $3.25. Then I spent most of the day kayaking and swimming in Flagstaff Lake. Who needs to go anywhere with the lake a stone's throw away? Summer at its best!:D

vicbiker
07-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Who needs to go anywhere with the lake a stone's throw away? Summer at its best!:D Last time at your house there was mention of maybe another kayaking cache being put out in Flagstaff? Want to get back over that way while the weather is good a do some kayaking. Was hoping for a few hundred more caches in the area to make the trip cost efficient. Only kidding. Going to Eustis for one cache is all the reason anyone needs to visit your beautiful area. Glad you had a great fourth.:)

vicbiker
07-06-2008, 06:04 PM
The Fourth of July is really more then just the one day, it's really the whole weekend. Saturday the fifth found Number Seven and his faithful sidekick Lacy going down Piper pond in their canoe so Number Seven could do my new cache Outah Piper, while I tagged along in my kayak. Lacy having already logged a first to find on her bike. This means the first two people to do this one did it either by bike or by water. ( I only clarify this for Hiram's sake. ) In the afternoon we bike to Butterfields in Dover our favorite ice cream stop. Going down the railroad bed on the way down, and up the main road on the way back. A 25 mile bike ride.

The sixth found the same three some headed for Greenville where Lacy and Seven rented kayaks At Northern Outfitters so we all could go to Big Indian pond and do the Under water Railroad cache. Lacy and Seven had done this one back two years ago, but I hadn't done it, or for that matter had never been on the pond before. This is a must do water cache, the pond is awesome, being actually the beginning of the Kennebec River. We not only did the cache, but ended up exploring a lot of the north end of the pond. By my calculations we did 8 miles of kayaking, experience white caps on the lake on the return trip. This being the first experience with white caps for any of us novices, we did quite well.

Caching, biking, kayaking, all in one fun filled weekend spent with close friends, doesn't get much better then that.

vicbiker
07-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Traffic was quite lite and the trails were very empty.
Dick do you feel this is a new trend? I found traffic less then normal on Rt. 1 in the Wiscasset area. All of the hiking trails were empty too. Time will tell I guess.

vicbiker
07-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Quilting Mom & Mike and I headed the 10 miles out to Pushaw Lake CG for the weekend. The place was packed to the rafters with campers. We met some really nice folks, ate some good food and enjoyed all this awesome weather. We go out on the lake in our kayaks a few times too. I got Island Hoppers back up and running too. The Geopups had plenty of other dogs to socialize with. Nice place and our first time there.

On another note:
They just headed to Rumford for the week to visit with QM's folks. I get to have a week of peace and quiet.:D;):rolleyes::cool: Got to love those visits to the folks.:D On a serious note glad you had a good fourth Brad. I usually hate those crowded campsites, but on the few times that I have done so, I find I also have meant some really nice folks.

mipster
07-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Eastport always has a great celebration for the whole family. The day starts out with different tpyes of races, then a penny toss. I don't know why they call it that. The kids mostly had sweat treats! There's music played in different areas, craft vendors, FOOD! There afternoon parade is the best in Washington Co. And this year the fireworks were awesome! I had an idea while watching the parade. It would be great to have a geocaching float! Maybe Garmen could be the sponsor. How many cachers would like to be involved in something like that? Making up a float? Riding on a float? I can pretty much say that WACO Wranglers would. It would be great to promote geocaching. Then the International parade is coming up at the begining of Aug. This year I believe it'll be on Aug. 9th. I'll have to double check that. At this time it's still just an idea. Feedback would be great!
Mipster

team moxiepup
07-06-2008, 08:39 PM
We started our day doing Jammer. We hiked up to Angel Falls after logging the cache and we were not disappointed, with the recent water Angel Falls were flowing pretty good. We headed to Eustis after that and had a great day caching in the area. Throughout the day we saw 2 moose, one snake, 3 fox, several deer, otter, fish, chipmunks, squirrels, loons and many other birds. The weather was just right. We even got to meet kayaking loon. :)
On our way home we caught some fireworks in Carabasset. It was a long day but it was one of the best caching days we have had in a long time.:)

Angel Falls (near Jammer cache)

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/32685821-f17e-4aa7-9c30-fde26514c0c0.jpg

MooseLook Cache

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/d4767e01-4913-4f5e-ab37-e4f50650a9e7.jpg

hollora
07-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Son worked, great day at the camper with Francis Family after they came down from seeing the big parade in Bangor. Saturday was spend with friends and their families enjoying Fort Knox (caches previously done), and then sailing to Fort Point and teaching some more kids about Geocaching. A quiet day today, pool side and enjoying left overs! Not a lot of caching but a relaxing weekend.

vicbiker
07-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Son worked, great day at the camper with Francis Family after they came down from seeing the big parade in Bangor. Saturday was spend with friends and their families enjoying Fort Knox (caches previously done), and then sailing to Fort Point and teaching some more kids about Geocaching. A quiet day today, pool side and enjoying left overs! Not a lot of caching but a relaxing weekend.It's good at your age not to overdo:D

squirrelcache
07-06-2008, 09:27 PM
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/504/medium/CascadingFalls.jpg

A picture's worth a thousand words...lol As you can see...I couldn't help but Totally enjoy cache GC12GE3. We camped in NH over the Holiday and got in many great caches. Travelled tens of miles of backcountry dirt roads....followed moose that wouldn't get out of the way...watched a Black Bear and her cubs play on a grassy slope and regretted not bringing the kayaks this trip. The family was disappointed too, While my truck meets the length requirements for Mt. Washington, my mirrors and kayak rack kept it from happening this trip. Northern NH is Truly a gorgeous area for geocaching. I found the fuel 9cents cheaper per gallon and got additional savings thanks to Shaw's and Irving.

hollora
07-06-2008, 10:20 PM
It's good at your age not to overdo:D

Yes you are right! ;) Thank you Vic ~ have you every tried one of those noodle chairs in a pool? Delightful ~ with a sippy quart container filled with ice and a beverage!:)

Resting for the Tread Lightly, I hope!:D

al'Thor
07-07-2008, 07:40 AM
It was my weekend to work:mad::(:mad::(
Friday 7 pm to 7 am
Saturday 7 pm to 7 am
Sunday 7pm to 7 am

firefighterjake
07-07-2008, 07:53 AM
What did I do on the 4th . . . geez, that was three days ago and I have a hard enough time remembering what I had for breakfast yesterday . . . wait a minute, now I remember . . . a McDepot (kind of like an Egg McMuffin only made by the folks at the Depot General Store.)

I think I puttered around the house and then one of my wife's friends came over and I cooked up some steaks, steamed some corn and enjoyed swimming in the pool . . . basically a no-frills, do-nothing, go-nowhere, see-no one sort of day . . . it was a good day.

Sudonim
07-07-2008, 09:55 AM
My in-laws gave Pedalchick and me a trip to Colorado for Xmas, so the four of us spent the week in Avon, just down the valley from Vail. On the 3rd, we saw the biggest fireworks show in Colorado, right in Avon. On the 4th we were in Beaver Creek and saw that show too. I've got good in-laws too, they are into caching so it didn't feel like I was dragging them around to get that "just one more" cache :D

balinda
07-07-2008, 09:56 AM
We were in Riverton Nj for the 4th of July (my inlaws). This little town is across the river from Philadelphia and does the 4th in a big way. Every house is decorated with flags and red white and blue os every where you turn. Most of the people that come to the parade dress in red white and blue. The parade still has decorated bicycles and community floats. They throw candy and the fire engines are shiny.

There is a lot of pride in our country out there.

pjpreb
07-07-2008, 01:18 PM
We spent July 2 & 3 in Gettysburg PA. We can all be proud of the role the 20th Maine and Joshua Chamberlain played at the battlefield. The area is just fascinating and we completely enjoyed the scenery and monuments. July 4th we visited Heritage Days in Fredericksburg VA and visited the site of "The Dig" at Ferry Farm. Last week came the announcement that archaelogists had found Geroge Washington's boyhood home so we went for a looksee. We paid $3.87 a gal for gas in VA - 20 cents cheaper than Maine.

On another note - we're never ever driving through New York City (Geo Washington Bridge) again. Took a 2 hour detour around that nut farm on our way home and it was well worth it. Glad to be home again [:)]

cachecrashers4
07-07-2008, 09:24 PM
We went to Round Pond for the parade. We geocached before and after, we had a great time. Saturday we cached down to Port Clyde after work. On Sunday, I took my Dad out caching with us in Rockland. I think he's hooked.

vicbiker
07-07-2008, 09:49 PM
On another note - we're never ever driving through New York City (Geo Washington Bridge) again. Took a 2 hour detour around that nut farm on our way home and it was well worth it. Glad to be home again [:)] We should all go over the Geo. Washington at least once a year...that way we appreciate all the more what we have here.:)

vicbiker
07-07-2008, 09:56 PM
There is a lot of pride in our country out there. Even though I do a lot of complaining about all the greed going on in this country, like tonights evening news about giving eight year olds cholesterol medicine, there's no place else I rather be.

hollora
07-08-2008, 08:11 PM
The dietary intake of folks in America is horrid. Vicbiker - you and I both know - neither you or I would be able to say no or not eat what was placed in front of us for food as a child. Today, that is not that case. They eat what they want and desire and refuse what they do not want. AND - what is home cooked, grown, or prepared today. Little!!!! If it doesn't come out of the frozen food section or the pre-made second of the store - it's not food.

I say - to heck with food stamps - go back to supporting the farmers and American economy! Go back to distributing surplus food commodities such as canned hams, canned beans, processed cheese, peanut butter, butter, pasta, and many of the other food staples which were part of the USDA food distribution program. Hummm, out troops are eating well balanced diets on MREs - what's wrong with this picture?

Goods from the USDA program, well used, could provide a pretty good diet - but there were no great snacks or high end eats. Many day cares used these for nutricious and healthy lunches and snacks.

I agree with Vicbiker - no place I would rather be - I just wished some of the folks here would realize how really lucky they are...........just do one mission trip........it's an eye opener!

vicbiker
07-08-2008, 08:58 PM
The dietary intake of folks in America is horrid. Vicbiker - you and I both know - neither you or I would be able to say no or not eat what was placed in front of us for food as a child. Today, that is not that case. They eat what they want and desire and refuse what they do not want. AND - what is home cooked, grown, or prepared today. Little!!!! If it doesn't come out of the frozen food section or the pre-made second of the store - it's not food.

I say - to heck with food stamps - go back to supporting the farmers and American economy! Go back to distributing surplus food commodities such as canned hams, canned beans, processed cheese, peanut butter, butter, pasta, and many of the other food staples which were part of the USDA food distribution program. Hummm, out troops are eating well balanced diets on MREs - what's wrong with this picture?

Goods from the USDA program, well used, could provide a pretty good diet - but there were no great snacks or high end eats. Many day cares used these for nutricious and healthy lunches and snacks.

I agree with Vicbiker - no place I would rather be - I just wished some of the folks here would realize how really lucky they are...........just do one mission trip........it's an eye opener! There's a lot of wisdom under those gray hairs....just one of the reason I think the world of you.

vicbiker
07-08-2008, 08:59 PM

I agree with Vicbiker - no place I would rather be - I just wished some of the folks here would realize how really lucky they are...........just do one mission trip........it's an eye opener! There's a lot of wisdom under those gray hairs....just one of the reasons I think the world of you.

firefighterjake
07-09-2008, 08:04 AM
There's a lot of wisdom under those gray hairs....just one of the reasons I think the world of you.

You must . . . since you mentioned it twice. ;):D

Chercacher
07-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Well I am a little late posting but............ I worked all day on the 4th as I usually do. Taking care of the older folks. Getting those pills into them so they can get ready for the parade in Greenville. Got to love them all, they give so much and I am glad to be with them and hear whatever they have to say whether it makes sense or not.

kayaking loon
07-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Last time at your house there was mention of maybe another kayaking cache being put out in Flagstaff? Want to get back over that way while the weather is good a do some kayaking. Was hoping for a few hundred more caches in the area to make the trip cost efficient. Only kidding. Going to Eustis for one cache is all the reason anyone needs to visit your beautiful area. Glad you had a great fourth.:)

Yes, "Reed Brook- How far Will You Go?" is my Flagstaff Lake Cache Trail # 3 cache, already up and running. I've got three more planned and hopefully, out soon. Then those six will be it for this year until I see how many people bother to find them.

ltlindian
07-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi everyone! New to the site and to caching but I am totally hooked! My fourth was great! Great weather and a great relaxing time. We hauled some lobster traps on Friday then hung out on the boat. Sat got groceries and my sister and nieces from FL came to visit. Went out on the boat again and fished. Then the kids and I did Dodge point cache and Quickie at Kitzi in the morning on Sunday and visited with friends in the afternoon. It was really a great weekend.

THis weekend I am headed to E Millinocket for my 20th (!) reunion and plan on doing a few caches while I am there.

pjpreb
07-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi everyone! New to the site and to caching but I am totally hooked! My fourth was great! Great weather and a great relaxing time. We hauled some lobster traps on Friday then hung out on the boat. Sat got groceries and my sister and nieces from FL came to visit. Went out on the boat again and fished. Then the kids and I did Dodge point cache and Quickie at Kitzi in the morning on Sunday and visited with friends in the afternoon. It was really a great weekend.

THis weekend I am headed to E Millinocket for my 20th (!) reunion and plan on doing a few caches while I am there.

Welcome to the web site! Glad you found us! - hope to meet you at an event or on the trails some day :)

firefighterjake
07-10-2008, 06:33 AM

Welcome to geocachingmaine.org . . . hope you find this site as useful as I have.