View Full Version : RE: Tech advice needed

firefighterjake
07-07-2008, 04:01 PM
It is possible to save a You Tube or similar video on-line to a file. I have a colleague who is attempting to download some videos showing various types of smoke for a presentation and he wants to incorporate these videos into a presentation.

Haffy
07-07-2008, 04:36 PM
If you see a You tube video there is usually a URL that you can copy and paste and save it that way.

brdad
07-07-2008, 04:53 PM
I use one of the free online converters like the one at http://vixy.net/. Saves downloading or paying for a program. Sometimes one site doesn't let you do quite what you want or jams up from too much traffic, so you have to try another. Googling "Youtube video convert" usually does the trick.

PS: Still haven't forgotten about the wood boilers, just haven't been out that way yet...

hide_from_the_kids
07-07-2008, 11:05 PM
You can google you tube conversion and come up with many applications will convert the you tube video to a variety of formats. I use one for work but I don't have the link here and can't remember the name--I'll look it up next time I physically go in to work because I have it in some notes there :)

firefighterjake
07-08-2008, 07:53 AM
I use one of the free online converters like the one at http://vixy.net/. Saves downloading or paying for a program. Sometimes one site doesn't let you do quite what you want or jams up from too much traffic, so you have to try another. Googling "Youtube video convert" usually does the trick.

PS: Still haven't forgotten about the wood boilers, just haven't been out that way yet...

Thanks for the advice . . . well that actually goes for everyone . . . but I also wanted to mention that I was wondering if you had forgotten, but then realized that you're probably just like me Dave . . . things get real, real busy in the Summer months and time just flies by. No problem. No worries. Whenever you get a chance.

TRF
07-08-2008, 08:42 AM
It is possible to save a You Tube or similar video on-line to a file. I have a colleague who is attempting to download some videos showing various types of smoke for a presentation and he wants to incorporate these videos into a presentation.

FFJ, call me and I'll get you the "Reading smoke" educational/training video. Its is a very good presentation and covers everything. Let me know.

Take Care and Be Safe!!

As far as coverting the youtube.FLV files into iPod (mp4), .mov,.avi, .vdix there are several software/freeware available. I'll hook you up with what I have if you still need it.

firefighterjake
07-08-2008, 10:37 AM
FFJ, call me and I'll get you the "Reading smoke" educational/training video. Its is a very good presentation and covers everything. Let me know.

Take Care and Be Safe!!

As far as coverting the youtube.FLV files into iPod (mp4), .mov,.avi, .vdix there are several software/freeware available. I'll hook you up with what I have if you still need it.

Actually this firefighter attended this very same presentation in Indianapolis and this is the presentation that he is sharing with the rest of the crews. He has the DVD, but wants to supplement the presentation with some additional clips.