View Full Version : Beer and Wings anyone

Mainiac1957
06-25-2004, 01:28 PM
I need some opinions on what night would work to have a beer and wing get together in the Bangor area? I am proposing a Sunday night. The other nights that might work would be a Monday or Thursday. I've spoken to Geagans Restaurant and they will let me reserve if we have enough people. If there is interest I'll post it as an event cache on Geocaching.com. I believe the way it works in other area is you get to count it as a find the first time you go. If there ar subsiquent events. Like every 2 or 3 monthes for instance then you can't repeat. It would still be nice to see folks every once in awhile. Post back and give me some ideas who is interested, or e-mail me. mainiac1957@excite.com

Thanks , Brad

Pooh and friends
06-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Oh do you know how to entice, my two favorite things. We have relatives in Brewer so dont be surprised if we show up for happy hour.

attroll
06-25-2004, 07:32 PM
What time of day are we talking about here?

Mainiac1957
06-25-2004, 08:07 PM
I never thought of that. I guess if it was on a Sunday it could be anytime. Late afternoon or early evening. Or whenever the majority wants. I live here in town so I can go at anybody convieniance. We want to be responsible and not have anyone having to drive after too many beers. Darn... being a grown-up sure sucks. A Sunday in July or August. The 18th, 25th, or the 1st work well for me. Soon as I get some feedback I plan on posting it as an event on the web site. I await your posts. Thanks, Brad

attroll
06-25-2004, 08:16 PM
I would try to make it but can not make any promises without a date. But I know how it is trying to arranged a get together. Sometimes you need to get your feelers to see if you have enough people that want to attend first. If it is on a Sunday I would say the earlier the better for me and probably better for others too. It depends on how far people are going to drive to get to Brewer. Then they will have to drive home to be at work for the next day.

Geochicks
06-25-2004, 09:17 PM
Don't pick a Sunday night. And I mean NIGHT.. afternoon is good... but the Beer part.. ummm, some cachers (read: ME!!) have a small child that couldn't get into most pubs. Or.. try to find a 3-day weekend?? Dunno, just throwing ideas out there. :confused:

EGSG
06-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Most Sundays are good for us. We do have a couple of commitments in Aug. on the 8th and 22nd. My personal preferance would be Thur. Aug 12. My geocaching brother from England will be here then, and he would love to attend.

brdad
06-29-2004, 03:47 PM
I like the idea, and have been pondering what options we could do to benefit the most people.

A typical was of using it as an event cache can be found here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=94fea9e5-8b39-40e3-b2fd-ad183547dacc

An alternative would be to just post it here on this web site and any other locations/forums availabale, and we could be flexible with days, or even locations. We could pick 3 cities and alternate or something.

The event method is good because word will get out to cachers who don't visit this web site via there nearest cache list. plus, regular participants can have it on their watch list and be informed of the next date. Plus, you can log it as a find (Only once) - But we're only talking one find, do the numbers matter that much?

The alternative method is nice because we can easily edit dates and locations. If we decided to do another city, you would need diving intervention (an ok from an approver) to edit the event coords accordingly.

I am middle of the road on my feeling for this. In some ways it'd be great to have it in 3-4 cities and rotate around, so that different people attend, but having the direct gc.com connection is nice, too.

If a decision is made to just have it in Bangor, someone else could have one in another city which is fine.

We can always try it as just a get together and go from there? Pick a night and We'll do our best to be there!

Mainiac1957
06-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Thanks Brdad for the input. Now I'm more confused than before ;) . I like the idea of someone else (or me) posting one in a different city, and rotating months. I do think gc.com is the best place to start since many still don't know about our new site. I will put a blurb about gm.org on the event site. Then any we do in the future we could do from here. I spun the magic wheel of dates and picked Sunday August 1st at 2:00 PM at Geagans in Bangor. No matter when we have it, there will be some who can't make it. I think I'll just say 2 till whenever, and call it good. Look for the post on gc.com soon. I also still plan on a September picnic at Dorothea Dix park.

brdad
06-29-2004, 04:13 PM
A Day?

Day/date/period of time/chunk of our lives/moment in history/whatever!

attroll
06-30-2004, 12:04 AM
OH. Bummer I may be the one that is the first to say I can not make it that day. Darn. I was really looking forward to this. I have friends that are coming in from Texas that day and we have a dinner appointment. But there still is the possibility that I might be able to talk them into the dinner Saturday so I can make this on Sunday. I will work on it.

Mainiac1957
06-30-2004, 06:59 AM
I hope that you can talk them in to meeting all your looney geo buddies on Sunday. I knew that there would no one date that would work for everyone. I just had to pick one. :(

brdad
06-30-2004, 07:04 AM
I see the "A good day for good wings! (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c7429345-cc26-4530-8f83-7c5d51002de3)" cache page is up!

That's the good thing about a recurring event - if you can't make one, you can make the next. if you do make this one, you can still make the next. :)

parmachenee
06-30-2004, 10:26 AM
We are flexible as to time-day-month but have a new grandchild :) expected mid-July in Rochester, NY so we can't give a definite yes. We'll be there if we can. Wings and beer....beer and wings!!! oh yuh! :) :)

The G Team
06-30-2004, 08:41 PM
Pretty much anytime is fine for us for the next six weeks--just pick time and place :)

Mainiac1957
06-30-2004, 10:05 PM
"A good day for good wings!" cache has been posted on gc.com I hope to see many of you there.

Cedar Stripper
07-16-2004, 11:10 PM
Most Sundays are good for us. We do have a couple of commitments in Aug. on the 8th and 22nd. My personal preferance would be Thur. Aug 12. My geocaching brother from England will be here then, and he would love to attend.
I will be in Maine with my family (wife & 2 kids) for that week. Let me know if you would like to try to get together for wings and beer or maybe a group hunt. How far is Winter Harbor from Bangor?

RanMan22
07-24-2004, 01:11 PM
I just started weight watchers -- will there be diet coke and celery sticks available instead of beer and wings? :) :) :) ;)

Mainiac1957
07-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Absolutly ;)

WhereRWe?
07-28-2004, 08:06 AM
I'm planning on doing this "quest" in the morning before the event. If anyone wants to go with me, let me know. I've got all the waypoints on printed maps, so it should go pretty fast with a helper.

attroll
07-28-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm planning on doing this "quest" in the morning before the event. If anyone wants to go with me, let me know. I've got all the waypoints on printed maps, so it should go pretty fast with a helper.
What are you refering to? The whole Bangor area? I would be interested. But don't know if I can get up there to early. What time are you talking about starting if this is what you are refering to?

brdad
07-28-2004, 04:58 PM

If you think you see someone hiding in the bushes, you are close to the cache. :D

WhereRWe?
07-29-2004, 08:49 AM
What are you refering to? The whole Bangor area? I would be interested. But don't know if I can get up there to early. What time are you talking about starting if this is what you are refering to?

Haffy6, The G Team and I are going to do the "You Sank My Battleship" munti-cache before the Beer & Wings event. If we do that quickly, we'll look for some other Bangor caches we haven't found.

WhereRWe?
07-29-2004, 08:56 AM

Oh yeah - I'm meeting Haffy6 in Skowhegan at 8:00 (meeting details with The G Team are still being worked out) and we'd hit Bangor about 9:15 or so.

attroll
07-29-2004, 11:50 AM
I talked to Mainiac1957 and he said if we started the Battleship cache at 11 am that we would be done by 1 pm. I was wondering why we were all going to be in Bangor at 9:15? I want to do hte cache with you guys, but am just wondering why so early? I could also meet you all somewhere.

Haffy
07-29-2004, 12:20 PM
It takes Brdad over 2 hours to do it and he knows knows where every site is. Most people who have done it, say it takes between 4 and 5 hours to accomplish the task. And that is for people who live in Bangor,if I am not correct then I'm sure Brdad could set you straight on that.

brdad
07-29-2004, 12:26 PM
I am interested to hear how it goes. It did take me a few hours on a test run. The more you know Bangor, the faster it would be. Also, if you have any communication (cell phone, meeting spot, etc.), you could team up in 2-3 cars and share the load. You may find it a little more difficult as the Bangor Fair will be running, too. :p

Beach Comber
07-30-2004, 10:33 AM
I would love to go, but am not sure that I can fit in a ride to the Bangor area from Portland on that day. You never know though, depending on what the day brings, I may just be there!!

Mainiac1957
08-01-2004, 06:39 PM
What a great turnout I had for this first attempt at an event cache. I am now fired up to do the picnic in September. All of you I talked to about support, I want you to know how much I appreciate that. Whatever gets done will add to this being an awesome event. Thank you so much in advance for your efforts. E-mail me or PM me here with any info or question you have. Later all

WhereRWe?
08-04-2004, 07:09 AM
What I want to know is... Did Haffy6, The G Team and I set a record for the "You Sank My Battleship" cache? We did it in 2 1/2 hours start to finish. Of course, having 2 cars, 3 GPSR's, 2 PDA's, cell phones, printed maps and radios made it a lot easier! :D

brdad
08-04-2004, 07:31 AM
What I want to know is... Did Haffy6, The G Team and I set a record for the "You Sank My Battleship" cache? We did it in 2 1/2 hours start to finish. Of course, having 2 cars, 3 GPSR's, 2 PDA's, cell phones, printed maps and radios made it a lot easier! :D

Well, you were the first cachers I know of to team up to do it, which I thought was great!

I'd gamble you have set the record. But, more teams may follow now!

RanMan22
08-04-2004, 07:34 AM
I left a Jeep TB at the beer & wings event, but I didn't see who took it. It hasn't been logged in yet. Does anyone happen to know who took it?

-RanMan22

Mainiac1957
08-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Not that I told you anything, but you did have a former finder too. ;)

WhereRWe?
08-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Not that I told you anything, but you did have a former finder too. ;)

Yeah - I gotta admit that Mainiac DID tag along at the end when we went to the cache... :p

Mainiac1957
08-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Guys, There are still two TB's that need to be logged out of "A Good Day for Good Wings" event cache. Please clean those up so that cache can be closed out. I'm sure this was an oops on your part. Check and see if you have these in your caching bag and forgot. Thanks for the help..... Brad