View Full Version : Eustis Cache Challenge

kayaking loon
07-16-2008, 01:42 PM
I've decided to start a "Eustis Cache Challenge" with "degrees" offered for each level of achievement. To get A EBGC (Eustis Bachelor of Geocaching) degree you need to find all 14 caches that are on islands or near the shore of Flagstaff Lake. To date those are, in somewhat geographical order: View From The Bridge; Flagstaff Lake Cache Trail #1; The Town That Drowned; Flagstaff Lake Cache Trail #5 - "My Island"; Moon Over The Bigelows; The Hydrant; Flagstaff Lake Cache Trail # 4; Bigelow Preserve; The Sky, The Stars, the Wilderness; There Was A Land;
Flagstaff Lake Cache Trail # 2; Flagstaff Lake Cache Trail # 6-Island #1;
Reed Brook-How Far Will You Go?-Cache Trail # 3; and Milwaukee Brewers. Twelve of them I have put out, one is by Nick MacCache and one by Katahdin Goddess. Only six, the ones that say Flagstaff Lake Cache Trail require a boat but all 14 could be accessed by putting in at or near the cache.

To get a Master's degree you also need to pass logging road driving, without getting hit by a logging truck (hint: logging trucks drive in the middle of the road so keep to the right, especially on curves). For that you need to Find: Big Jim Pond; Appleton Corner; Waterfalls; WW II Prisoner of War Camp; and Loose Moose. Granted, you are almost over to Jackman by that time, but the last four of these can be accessed by going in the Goldbrook Road above Eustis to Appleton Corner and then take the Spencer Road for the last three. A great time to do that is in the fall, when you are likely to see moose and wonderful foliage. And of course, weekends are the best time to avoid logging trucks.:p

To get your PhD you also have to find A View of the Lake; and the cache on Sugarloaf.

The requirements for these degrees may get more difficult every year, as more caches are added. I'm working on suitable rewards for those who participate! And maybe for those with the best stories to tell....

hollora
07-16-2008, 07:21 PM
OM Gosh - KL - I love it! Do you know how to bookmark the series? If not, I bet BRDad would help.

There is nothing Useless in Eustis!

Medawisla
07-16-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm sorry about the rush this month; I'll be out of touch all next week up in Stuben, so the newsletter needs to be mostly completed by Friday, but if you get this challenge published by Friday, I can add it to the Newsletter's feature about challenge caches, as the newest Maine challenge cache! :cool:
Post on this thread the cache page when published or PM me.
Thanks for an excuse for a great adventure (or more likely many adventures!):D

hollora
07-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Steph - I am not sure KL was going to post this as a challenge cache......but rather just put it out as a challenge here. She, of course, would have to speak to that fact.

If she wants to publish it and isn't sure how - I am sure there are a bunch who would help her when she is up her caching in August.

iampaw
07-16-2008, 09:51 PM
I love it Jean, I think I'm maybe have 1/2 of them found, I will be up your way again real soon to try to get the rest.

hollora
07-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Useless in Eustis weekend and pre-weekend - woot!

Team2hunt
07-17-2008, 07:33 AM
I think we will be up early too and might plan on doing a few around the lake. Thanks for all the work you have done.

hollora
07-17-2008, 02:23 PM
I think we will be up early too and might plan on doing a few around the lake. Thanks for all the work you have done.

Bec and I are headed up early Thursday with Amara and my camper. I won't kayak alone and wasn't sure Jean wanted to be my chaprone;)

If you, or of course, anyone else comes up early - that would help. Maybe I could do it one day with a group and Becka with someone the next (I could babysit). Then again - with a canoe - all 3 of us should be fine to go together (bearing wind/water/weather conditions).

I am so looking forward to this adventure and the weekend!:)

Team2hunt
07-17-2008, 08:36 PM
We will be happy to help out any way we can. Not sure but plans are now to be up there early Friday afternoon. I still want to head up to Bemis for the sunset. I realize the cache is gone. I just want to enjoy the beautiful sunset. :) Believe it ...or not.

hollora
07-17-2008, 10:40 PM
We will be happy to help out any way we can. Not sure but plans are now to be up there early Friday afternoon. I still want to head up to Bemis for the sunset. I realize the cache is gone. I just want to enjoy the beautiful sunset. :) Believe it ...or not.

Woot - doesn't look like or sound like the physical cache has been removed yet.:mad: And I am sure you are right - great views and a beautiful sunset.:)

Cache Maine
07-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Woot - doesn't look like or sound like the physical cache has been removed yet.:mad: And I am sure you are right - great views and a beautiful sunset.:)

Hmmm....okay...so if the cache is still there, can a person log an archived cache? I guess the answer would be yes, but then it comes down to ethics. Thoughts?

hollora
07-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Hmmm....okay...so if the cache is still there, can a person log an archived cache? I guess the answer would be yes, but then it comes down to ethics. Thoughts?

Archived and not removed - to me it should be CITOed and logged as such. JMHO

kayaking loon
07-18-2008, 09:12 AM

I've pointed this out before but will do so again. If Bemis is "gone" as it's supposed to be, there's still KG's micro, "Minnesota Twins Visit the Height of Land" to find while watching the sunset.

And yes, Hollora, if you have no one to go with, I'll accompany you while you find the Flagstaff Lake Cache Trail caches. Wind and weather permitting, of course. ;)

hollora
07-18-2008, 09:35 AM
I've pointed this out before but will do so again. If Bemis is "gone" as it's supposed to be, there's still KG's micro, "Minnesota Twins Visit the Height of Land" to find while watching the sunset.

And yes, Hollora, if you have no one to go with, I'll accompany you while you find the Flagstaff Lake Cache Trail caches. Wind and weather permitting, of course. ;)

MT Height of Land is a nice one - and KL :D Wind and weather permitting!:)

kayaking loon
07-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Congratulations to IAMPAW for completing all 14 caches around Flagstaff Lake. So she is the first to get a EBGC degree (Eustis Bachelor of Geocaching). But she still needs more to get her Master's or PhD. :p

I will probably put this out as a mystery cache, with a cache with appropriate goodies as a "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow". But I'm still working on that. Give me time, thinking is hard work...... :confused: Putting out caches is more fun! And I may even go find one today....

Sudonim
07-20-2008, 08:35 PM
If I go hunting for a cache (maybe I haven't updated the palm pilot lately...) and I find the cache and sign the log, then get back to log it and find that it was archived, I see no problem logging it. If I know it is archived, I wouldn't be looking for it.

kayaking loon
07-21-2008, 08:56 AM
And congratulations to Vicbiker who found all the caches around Flagstaff Lake this weekend. He even did it the hard way, kayaked from Reed Brook to KGs cache. But I think he was sorry he did it that way.....

I think I will put this "challenge" out as a cache. Since I haven't published it yet is it OK to add some more caches? KG just put out 7 on a logging road near here (Kennebago). I think I'll add those to the Master's...

Anyway, two have earned their bachelor's degree now, IAMPAW and Vic. Now if I could just get my act together....

hollora
07-21-2008, 07:24 PM
You will - take your time......all good things happen in time.

Team2hunt
07-21-2008, 07:34 PM
You will - take your time......all good things happen in time.

You and I both have had a lot of good things happen to us. :rolleyes:

vicbiker
07-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Jean this was a great challenge and so much fun to do, even if I did over do a little. My only problem is trying to decide if it's more beautiful looking down on Flagstaff from the top of Bigelow or is more beautiful looking up at Bigelow from the waters of Flagstaff. I've seen the view from the top many times, but this was my first time on the water, absolutely beautiful. Thanks Jean and Stan for all you do for the rest of us. Just when I think I'm getting the Eustis caches under control, KG puts out a bunch more. Means I will have to go back one more time.....Love it.

hollora
07-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Jean this was a great challenge and so much fun to do, even if I did over do a little. My only problem is trying to decide if it's more beautiful looking down on Flagstaff from the top of Bigelow or is more beautiful looking up at Bigelow from the waters of Flagstaff. I've seen the view from the top many times, but this was my first time on the water, absolutely beautiful. Thanks Jean and Stan for all you do for the rest of us. Just when I think I'm getting the Eustis caches under control, KG puts out a bunch more. Means I will have to go back one more time.....Love it.

Any possiblity you are coming to the Useless Event - it would be fun to do those as a group!:D

Kaching Karen
07-21-2008, 10:33 PM
My only problem is trying to decide if it's more beautiful looking down on Flagstaff from the top of Bigelow or is more beautiful looking up at Bigelow from the waters of Flagstaff. .

Here's my crazy idea to solve that problem. Do the Bigelow/Flagstaff loop. I want to drop off my kayak in Stratton and then drive over to the Little Bigelow side of the ridge. Take a couple of days to hike the ridge; pick up my kayak and paddle back to my car. It could be done the other way too. I'm thinking of a way to abrieviate it so that I end up at the event.

Any takers? LOL

Hiram357
07-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Here's my crazy idea to solve that problem. Do the Bigelow/Flagstaff loop. I want to drop off my kayak in Stratton and then drive over to the Little Bigelow side of the ridge. Take a couple of days to hike the ridge; pick up my kayak and paddle back to my car. It could be done the other way too. I'm thinking of a way to abrieviate it so that I end up at the event.

Any takers? LOL

how bout wait till winter and ride/slide the kyak down the bigelows onto the lake... :D

(I'll do it for $10!) :D;):rolleyes:

Kaching Karen
07-22-2008, 06:48 PM
how bout wait till winter and ride/slide the kyak down the bigelows onto the lake... :D

(I'll do it for $10!) :D;):rolleyes:

Dang, I'd do it for free. If the kayaks don't make it across the ice, we can then hike across the water. Kayak the mountain, hike the water..... hmmmmmmmmmm

kayaking loon
07-26-2008, 07:47 AM

Any takers? LOL

If you need a place to leave your kayak, you can bring it to our house. We can even put it in the garage if you don't like leaving it outside. Then when you hike back to Stratton give us a call and we'll pick you up.

And congratulations to IAMPAW who completed the Master's section of my Eustis Challenge yesterday, after many, many miles in her new car "IGGY". By the way, I'm trying to put this challenge out as a "cache" and am having all kinds of trouble. Anybody good at this? But whether I get it published or not, it's still a "challenge" and there will be "appropriate" rewards, whatever those may be. I'm still thinking about that...... Any suggestions?:confused:

kayaking loon
07-30-2008, 09:21 AM
I finally got the first part of my cache challenge published, GC1EE71. To sign the log you first have to find the 14 caches listed, on the islands and shoreline of Flagstaff Lake. And to get your degree and reward, if you want one, you have to contact me. I'll be getting the Masters and Ph.D parts published soon. Two people have already completed the first part and a third may do so this weekend. Anyone with suggestions for suitable "rewards", give me some ideas please.

Team2hunt
07-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Anyone with suggestions for suitable "rewards", give me some ideas please.

I'm thinking the reward is the trip around the lake. It's so beautiful up there. And doing it in the Fall will be all I will need. Thanks so much for all of your hard work. :D:)

kayaking loon
08-03-2008, 08:19 AM
I finally got the first part of my cache challenge published, GC1EE71. To sign the log you first have to find the 14 caches listed, on the islands and shoreline of Flagstaff Lake. And to get your degree and reward, if you want one, you have to contact me. I'll be getting the Masters and Ph.D parts published soon. Two people have already completed the first part and a third may do so this weekend. Anyone with suggestions for suitable "rewards", give me some ideas please.

And the Masters degree part is published, GC1EPZH, and also the Ph.D. Degree GC1ET0W.

And the first to complete all three is: Parmachenee! :D

IAMPAW was first to get the Bachelors and Masters. Vicbiker was second to get his Bachelors degree. But Parmachenee, due to some serious caching last year, was first to complete all three challenges, seeing Eustis and the surrounding area by kayak, logging roads and from mountain tops. Congratulations!

hollora
08-03-2008, 09:12 PM
A very deserving Team - Parmachenee! Woot to some friends Charron and Frank~! You Rock my friends!

parmachenee
08-04-2008, 09:11 PM
I'd like to thank Kayaking Loon for organizing the Eustis Challenge Caches. Even if you don't complete all of the challenges, there is still something for every level of caching. I'd also like to thank Mainiac1957, Hollora, Nick MacCache, PJPreb, Katadin Goddess & Onestep, Etina Skeeter and Ross, Nibblr64, and Madted for their contributions to the challenge. Whether you like challenging hikes, paddling with a view, GRC's with a view, or off-roading, you will find it all in these quality caches. We have come to know the Eustis area very intimately...every wethole, pothole, backroad, and the shallow areas of Flagstaff. :D Don't plan on doing the caches with a motor-boat! These caches will be fun for those attending the Eustis Event on September 27 and will add to Kayaking Loon's first Event Cache in this beautiful location. We've had some very memorable moments while doing these caches and are looking forward to returning in Sept.....if not sooner! :) Again, thank you Jean and Stan.

vicbiker
08-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Just to echo what has already been said.This series is a must do for everyone. The Flagstaff -Bigelow area is probably the best kept secret in Maine. Baxter and Acadia have a lot to offer ( I love both places ) but do not compare to the overall beauty of this western Maine area. Summer or winter, spring or fall, this area has something to offer. The fall event should be a must do. Can't wait.

gpsfaq
02-07-2009, 12:06 PM
I would agree with it, in case someone does not where it's location is. Flagstaff -Bigelow area is located in western Maine just east of the village of Stratton about 40 miles.