View Full Version : paperless caching

ltlindian
07-18-2008, 10:50 PM
If I want to go paperless, what exactly do I need to do this? Include everything--particular type of GPS unit, other hardware, what to download etc.

Right now, I am printing out each cache that I would like to do and punching each set of coordinates in each time. It seems like a lot of folks visit an area and go to every cache while they are there, which can be 10 at times. Do these people print out each and every one of those ahead of time or they must download those into their GPS ahead of time?

Thanks for any information!

dubord207
07-19-2008, 06:37 AM
Save your pennies and buy a Garmin Colorado 400t. With the GSAK program, $25 for life, you can download 2000 caches into the unit in less then five seconds. And, here's the important part, besides steering you to the cache, all the info you've been printing up for each cache will be right on the screen for you. Includes the last five logs and the HINT! The 400 will cost a little over $500 but if you buy a Palm to help you go paperless you'll probably spend a couple hundred on that and those things don't like moisture or cold temps. If you're thinking you already have a GPS and don't need another, well think again because sooner or later you'll enjoy the security of having 2 units working for you. We have a Vista that we mostly use with NT Navigator which is the on-road program Nuvi's use to get you to the cache area. Good luck and happy caching! If you buy the Colorado, there are plenty of folks on this site that will help you learn the basics.

WhereRWe?
07-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Dubord mentioned a "high end" operation, but how much YOU want to spend really is the important factor.

You need a PDA, which can be as cheap as $20 on eBay. Most people have CacheMate software ($8) on their PDA, and GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife - $25) on their computer.

Here's a description of GSAK: "GSAK is the all in one Geocaching and waypoint management tool. Major features include: Multiple databases, sending/receiving waypoints to GPSr, Google maps, conversion to many mapping formats, PDA output (including CacheMate support), HTML output, extensive searching, macro support, backup and restore, distance/direction from other waypoints (including caches, locations, post codes) and much more. GSAK only runs on Windows operating systems (98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista)"

And a description of CacheMate: CacheMate™ is a database for tracking GPS cache hunts. You can store information about caches or benchmarks, decode hints, and transfer data between CacheMate and the MemoPad application.

Paperless is the ONLY way to go! LOL!

Team2hunt
07-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Going paperless can be a wonderful experience, and also a little frustrating in the beginning. First you have to be a premium memeber of geocaching.com. Then you can make and receive PQ's, ( pocket queries ). This is the information necessary to start your paperless caching journey. You will also need one of the many downloadable software titles to manage your PQ's. I like many others use GSAK. Geocaching Swiss Army Knife.(gask.com) this will also allow you to download the waypoints directly into your GPS'r, with the appropriate cable, thus eliminating the manual entries. From here you will need to purchase a PDA. I have had the Zire 21 for a couple of years now and for an introductory unit it works just fine. So far your total investment should be......Premium Member 30.00 yearly, GSAK 30.00 membership, and around 100.00 for the PDA. Oh and I forgot, Cachemate. The software your PDA will need to run the information. I think I paid 8.00 for that. So far that's 168.00. If you need some of the other functions a PDA can give you, that might justify your spending the money.

While the Colorado is a good unit and nice to have all of the info at your fingertips, the cost is sometimes just too much. If you really like caching, then paperless is the way to go. Hope this helps and I'm sure others will also help out here. Search the web for the best prices on a PDA.

Good luck!

d’76
07-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Dubord mentioned a "high end" operation, but how much YOU want to spend really is the important factor.

You need a PDA, which can be as cheap as $20 on eBay. Most people have CacheMate software ($8) on their PDA, and GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife - $25) on their computer.

Here's a description of GSAK: "GSAK is the all in one Geocaching and waypoint management tool. Major features include: Multiple databases, sending/receiving waypoints to GPSr, Google maps, conversion to many mapping formats, PDA output (including CacheMate support), HTML output, extensive searching, macro support, backup and restore, distance/direction from other waypoints (including caches, locations, post codes) and much more. GSAK only runs on Windows operating systems (98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista)"

And a description of CacheMate: CacheMate™ is a database for tracking GPS cache hunts. You can store information about caches or benchmarks, decode hints, and transfer data between CacheMate and the MemoPad application.

Paperless is the ONLY way to go! LOL!

I agree. Paperless is the only way to go. You guys did a great job discribing two very good systems. I would mention that GSAK is for the computer end of this and cachemate is for the palm.

NativeMainer
07-19-2008, 09:06 AM
OK, here's my question then. I just started paperless caching. I really haven't gotten to use my new PDA yet (looooooong story :mad:), a Palm Pilot Z22. I know how to enter the caching info into the PDA and my Garmin eTrex H, but then I'm still writing out on paper the caches that I want to go to and how to get from one cache to another (street directions and such). Am I missing the point?

Haffy
07-19-2008, 09:22 AM
If you are a premium member then you can go to google maps on the cache page and you will have all the caches in that area that you would like to cache in. With additional maps like City Navigator on your GPS you should be able to route to the cache directly.

eebee
07-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Another way to justify the expense of the PDA is to look at how much you would spend on replacing your printer cartridges from all the ink you use printing off the pages. In New Brunswick, it costs me over $70 to replace my cartridges. I just bought a refurb Palm Z31 off ebay for $50 including shipping and hope to start paperless caching as soon as I can get everything up and running.

Sabby
07-19-2008, 10:23 AM
If you haven't got Cachemate on your PDA by all means get it and download it to the PDA. Also are you using Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) If not get it.

Then you can do a Pocket Query on Geocaching.com and have it sent to your email address as a zip file. You start GSAK and open the downloaded cache file. It puts them in a spreadsheet form. Do a search to select the caches you want to send to the GPS and PDA. GSAK can write the files for both. Plug the cable to the GPS in and send the cache info to the GPS. Then send the same info to a file using the cachemate function. It writes a file that will load to your PDA the next time you synchronize it.

I think brdad has a complete writeup on how to do it someplace in the forum.

WhereRWe?
07-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Then you can do a Pocket Query on Geocaching.com and have it sent to your email address as a zip file. You start GSAK and open the downloaded cache file.

One hint: Once you've downloaded your PQ, place it onto your desktop and "drag and drop" the file onto the GSAK icon. It will automatically be loaded into GSAK. :D:D

ltlindian
07-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Since I am a computer idiot I will have to have someone show me how to do this when I get ready! I have one of the first hand held Garmins now so I don't think it has the capabilities to do any of that stuff.

Maybe this can be my Xmas present!:D

NativeMainer
07-20-2008, 12:18 AM
If you are a premium member then you can go to google maps on the cache page and you will have all the caches in that area that you would like to cache in. With additional maps like City Navigator on your GPS you should be able to route to the cache directly.

I am a premium member. I LOVE the Google maps feature. It's a little easier to plan out geocaches and how to get there from the previous geocache. I'm not sure I'm ready to spend the $90 on City Navigator, but perhaps I can put a text file on my PDA. I'll give it a shot.

Team2hunt
07-20-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure I'm ready to spend the $90 on City Navigator, but perhaps I can put a text file on my PDA. I'll give it a shot.

I have been using Mapsource and a good navigator for about 2 years now. Their resources have saved me countless miles and hundreds of dollars in gas. It's worth every penny to be able to plan for the days caches and then get to them, in the shortest amount of time and distance.

Gob-ler
07-20-2008, 08:32 AM
I'll second what T2h said. The City Navigator Map set used with your GPS along with a laptop or desktop is a great tool. It's what I use almost exclusively in my Garmin.

brdad
07-20-2008, 09:13 AM
I will add that if you go the PDA/Cachemate route you do not have to use GSAK. GSAK is a great program for sorting and looking over caches, but it is quite possible to get by without it. You can just create a PQs that are in the area you want to cache, excluding found caches and any other common filtering that a GSAK user would use. Cachemate can read and install that PQ without GSAK.

Mainiac1957
07-20-2008, 10:14 AM
When planning for the cache run we did yesterday in western Maine I used mapsource ans GSAK. I looked at mapsource loaded with unfound caches to figure the route. Then I used a user sort column in GSAK to number them in the order I wanted to hit them. Once you are on the route it was a simple leapfrog process with finding the next nearest cache. Occasionally looking back to the laptop to make sure we were still on track. Easy right:cool::eek::rolleyes:

hollora
07-20-2008, 11:11 AM
When planning for the cache run we did yesterday in western Maine I used mapsource ans GSAK. I looked at mapsource loaded with unfound caches to figure the route. Then I used a user sort column in GSAK to number them in the order I wanted to hit them. Once you are on the route it was a simple leapfrog process with finding the next nearest cache. Occasionally looking back to the laptop to make sure we were still on track. Easy right:cool::eek::rolleyes:

As long as I was driving and you just said right here when it meant your right left!:eek:;):):D You be da' man to navigate!:)

Mainiac1957
07-20-2008, 11:15 AM
I fear I am getting dyslexic in my "older" age.:eek: You know when I say right I mean right. And when I say left I mean right.:rolleyes::p:D

WhereRWe?
07-20-2008, 12:39 PM
I have one of the first hand held Garmins now so I don't think it has the capabilities to do any of that stuff.

I'll bet it does... LOL!

As BRDAD, I think he's still using one of the first model Garmins ever produced.

;);)

ltlindian
07-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Really? I think it's a Garmin 12. I don't have it right handy, it's in the car, but I think that's the name. I've long since misplaced the owner's manual. I suppose I could download it from Garmin and find out what it can do. Thanks.

hollora
07-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Really? I think it's a Garmin 12. I don't have it right handy, it's in the car, but I think that's the name. I've long since misplaced the owner's manual. I suppose I could download it from Garmin and find out what it can do. Thanks.

Yup, all the old manuals are available on line - or if not from Garmin - someone out there has them posted. Doesn't matter the model or year - just having fun is a big part of it. Thos that have cached with me will tell you want mine says - much different that theirs - most of the time.....but we still find 'em. Cache on - cache happy!

al'Thor
03-17-2009, 02:40 PM
OK, before I pull my hair out I need some advice.

I got a Palm Z22 for X-mas so that I could start paperless caching. Spring is coming fast so I thought I'd figure it out before it gets here.

I have Cachemate and GSAK. I can get my PQ to GSAK and then under file I am going to Export then Cachemate PDE file. Then I generate the thing and my Palm quick install pops up with the selected caches.

OK, this is where I am running into problems.....I try to Hot Sync but I get an error: "HotSync operation was interrupted. Some of your data was not backed up. For details see log." The log says: HotSync Error: An application cancelled sychronization or failed to respond to a HotSync notification. Please ensure that you are not currently editing data using applications such as Palm OS Desktop or Install Tool. (8009)

So am I missing a step somewhere. I know the hotsync works with other stuff. I have used it with contacts with out any problems.

Any advice???????
Thanks.

Haffy
03-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Hmmm not sure but make sure you have enough memory to accept what you have to load onto it. Also make sure it is using the correct comport as well. Other than that I don't know what else to tell yah.

Ekidokai
03-17-2009, 07:27 PM
The problem I ran into with that, was I could only enter 10 cache pages. I tried to purchase the full program for the Palm, but the owner was way less than helpful in assisting me in finding, the way too complicated numbers that were required for his damn program. Then I found out that the Nuvi is much better and easier to use.

hollora
03-17-2009, 09:16 PM

I got a Palm Z22 for X-mas so that I could start paperless caching. Spring is coming fast so I thought I'd figure it out before it gets here.

I have Cachemate and GSAK. I can get my PQ to GSAK and then under file I am going to Export then Cachemate PDE file. Then I generate the thing and my Palm quick install pops up with the selected caches.

OK, this is where I am running into problems.....I try to Hot Sync but I get an error: "HotSync operation was interrupted. Some of your data was not backed up. For details see log." The log says: HotSync Error: An application cancelled sychronization or failed to respond to a HotSync notification. Please ensure that you are not currently editing data using applications such as Palm OS Desktop or Install Tool. (8009)

So am I missing a step somewhere. I know the hotsync works with other stuff. I have used it with contacts with out any problems.

Any advice???????
Thanks.

OK - so CacheMate is installed on your Palm? Right?

You go to Export and pick CacheMate. Right? Or you have created a button on your bar and are using it.

Once that Export is clicked a new window should open. You have to have a place to store the file and a name for it. Other things need to be check but the most important box it to install to the palm after conversion.

Then if I remember there is another box which opens. And from there is is just the synching process.

Try to find someone who has a Palm and a laptop and get together somewhere with them to run through the process. Do you have a laptop or are you trying to do this from home on a PC?

Once you get it down it will be worth it.

I love using my Nuvi too but that is totally different than the Palm. Each is a tool and a bit different. Don't give up - just bring your stuff to an event where folks have their laptops or get together with someone.

The more experienced will tell you - I am not an expert but fumble through pretty well. If I can do it - you can too!

Team2hunt
03-17-2009, 09:26 PM

Any advice???????
Thanks.

How many caches are you trying to load? Try loading just one cache from GSAK. The only time I get an error is when I have exceeded the memory in my unit, a similar Zire model. I have a 512 SD card that I have put in so I can load all of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont caches.

Mapachi
03-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Ok, here's my two cents.......When I went paperless, I too bought a Palm Z22.......Then I got rid of it when I got my NUVI! I use that as my Street Navigator and it holds all my cache descriptions like my Palm did.
I use a Vista and a Nuvi for all my caching needs.:)

vicbiker
03-18-2009, 08:20 AM
I had the same problem...it was that I;m using vista....my palm was xp....some one sent me a link that fixed the problem. Then I had another problem with my palm, so decided to uninstall it, then reinstall....now I have the same original problem again. Can't remember the link to fix it.

shuman road searchers
03-18-2009, 09:03 PM
I too would agree that paperless is the only way to go! I have only been paperless for 09 and like many before me did the whole paper thing when I first began in 08. Some will remember when Patrick ( Mapachi ) gave away his palm to the FTF on his Palm in Maine cache to help someone (me) go paperless. This now made caching quicker and with a lot less paper! I no longer use the palm since I have gone to the Nuvi ( now with 8000 caches on it) and would like to give it to someone,like Patrick did for me, to help them go paperless. This palm comes complete with a charger and cachemate already on it! Unlike Patrick who hid it in the wild for me to find I would like to just give it to Itlindian so that you can enjoy paperless caching like so many of us!

al'Thor
03-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your imput. However, I still can't figure it out. I'll keep trying as it is most likely something simple. It is not a memory problem; I have tried with just one cache with the same result. I'll email some cachers in my neck of the woods and see if any of them are using a Palm. If all else fails I'll take hollora's advise and pack up my Palm and laptop and bring it to an event. Thanks all!

WhereRWe?
03-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I've been doing a little research...

Does this (http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,t=ooccase,case=obj (1005)) help?

al'Thor
03-20-2009, 08:34 PM
I've been doing a little research...

Does this (http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,t=ooccase,case=obj (1005)) help?

It just might....I'll look through it and try to figure it out. I think Vista may be my biggest problem:mad:.

Thanks.

Mainiac1957
03-21-2009, 06:21 AM
I have a Palm Zire 71 that I have had for at least 5 years. I know when I got it I was running XP at best and maybe 98 on my computer. Other than doing the occasional updates on the handheld the biggest things is to all the upgrades to Palm desktop online. When I got my new laptop it came with Vista. I haven't had much trouble with it. I do however load the caches from GSAK directly to the card through the card reader. It's faster and I've had no trouble there. Now if you have no card in your Palm or a card reader in your computer then this won't help of course. Good luck.

WhereRWe?
03-21-2009, 09:51 AM
I do however load the caches from GSAK directly to the card through the card reader. It's faster and I've had no trouble there. Now if you have no card in your Palm or a card reader in your computer then this won't help of course.

I do this with my Tungsten E2 and it's quick and easy. I think I started doing this because I also had trouble with hot-sync, but it's been so long that I don;t remember. :o:o

al'Thor
03-22-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm up and running!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all your help.

WhereRWe?
03-22-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm up and running!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all your help.

Sheesh! Tell us what the problem was! LOL! (Didn't have the HotSync cable plugged in???) ;);)

al'Thor
03-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Sheesh! Tell us what the problem was! LOL! (Didn't have the HotSync cable plugged in???) ;);)

Well it was almost that simple.... Definitely operator error!!!:o

I installed the palm software shortly after getting it (x-mas) and did not touch it again till a couple of days ago when I downloaded Cachemate and GSAK.

So I started thinking about when I installed the palm software.....something was missing.....I remembered - When the install was complete it promped me to update from the internet. Guess what I never did? So I went to the palm website and downloaded all availible updates and whatda know....it works great!

So, I definately feel like a fool, but a least it was an easy fix. Thanks again for you time, although I feel as though I may have wasted it. Sorry.

WhereRWe?
03-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks again for you time, although I feel as though I may have wasted it. Sorry.

Sheesh! Helping someone is never time wasted. LOL! (The bill will be in the mail tomorrow...) :p:p

hollora
03-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Well it was almost that simple.... Definitely operator error!!!:o

I installed the palm software shortly after getting it (x-mas) and did not touch it again till a couple of days ago when I downloaded Cachemate and GSAK.

So I started thinking about when I installed the palm software.....something was missing.....I remembered - When the install was complete it promped me to update from the internet. Guess what I never did? So I went to the palm website and downloaded all availible updates and whatda know....it works great!

So, I definately feel like a fool, but a least it was an easy fix. Thanks again for you time, although I feel as though I may have wasted it. Sorry.

Don't worry ~ we have all been there, done that and have the teeshirt to prove it.

I am constantly loosing activation codes and passwords. That brings me to a point here - don't forget to write down your activation information for Cachemate and GSAK (although you can get it back from them) - it's much easier if you have it when you are trying to get things installed on a new PC, laptop or netbook.

Have fun with your paperless journey!:)

Mapachi
03-23-2009, 12:35 PM
I too would agree that paperless is the only way to go! I have only been paperless for 09 and like many before me did the whole paper thing when I first began in 08. Some will remember when Patrick ( Mapachi ) gave away his palm to the FTF on his Palm in Maine cache to help someone (me) go paperless. This now made caching quicker and with a lot less paper! I no longer use the palm since I have gone to the Nuvi ( now with 8000 caches on it) and would like to give it to someone,like Patrick did for me, to help them go paperless. This palm comes complete with a charger and cachemate already on it! Unlike Patrick who hid it in the wild for me to find I would like to just give it to Itlindian so that you can enjoy paperless caching like so many of us!
THANKS FOR....."PAYING IT FORWARD" SO TO SAY.

MTCrunch23
06-15-2009, 10:17 PM
I just have to say that i'm so glad this thread is on here! I've been wanting to go paperless for SO long, but never knew how to start! Hopefully I can pick up a Nuvi or a Z22 and get started soon!

MTCrunch23
07-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Has anyone here tried caching on a Palm Treo? I'm looking at getting one but I want to make sure it will work for paperless caching before buying it.

dubord207
07-30-2009, 05:00 PM
A Palm will certainly get you into paperless caching,but the Palms are very sensitive to cold and if you're not going to use it for other things I personally feel a Nuvi is a better investment, probably for about the same amount of money. The Nuvi has all the info from the cache sheet plus it will give you turn by turn directions to the cache, or the closest road access to the cache. (They occassionally do odd things, but most of the time they're very helpful) Plus, when you travel, the Nuvi is loaded with a ton of useful info. We know the Nuvi will hold at least 18,000 caches so that's what I would consider as opposed to the Palm.

WhereRWe?
07-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Most people with Palm OS handhelds use the Cachemate software, which will work on ANY Palm handheld. With it, you can import almost the same data as is shown on a printed cache listing. Remember: The Palm is what you carry with you instead of paper. I assume you already have a GPS unit, and have been printing out cache listings, which is why you want top go paperless. I'm not familiar with the Nuvi - haven't decided what model I want to get yet - but would suggest that you get the Treo. You can use it for a lot of otehr things besides geocaching. And you can store the information for as many caches you have memory for.

Since it looked like you've got a Garmin eTrex Legend, which does not support route mapping, I'd suggest getting a Nuvi for the car for navigation.

WhereRWe?
07-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Dubord -

Can you go into some detail about using a Nuvi for caching? A lot of people like me don't have them (yet) and would like to know the capabilities.

For example, you say that "The Nuvi has all the info from the cache sheet". Huh? Do you load Cachemate into the Nuvi? And I like our Palm because we carry it with us to he cache. Can you take the Nuvi with you, like a handheld?

dubord207
07-30-2009, 06:47 PM
It's quite simple assuming you have GSAK. GSAk has a Garmin Nuvi macro. After you do a filter of where your going to cache and the type of caches you want to find, you run the Nuvi Macro, plug in the Nuvi, follow the steps and it loads the whole cache sheet onto the nuvi. What's on the Nuvi is exactly what you see on geo.com including encypted hints and logs. One of the biggest advantages is that if you have just done a cache and then look at the next closest on the Nuvi, it will tell you how long it's going to take to get to it. If you're doing the Phippsburg penisula and the next cache is only a half mile away as the crow flies on the Bailey's Island penisula, 44 minutes by car, then you won't head in that direction. You can set the Nuvi to chime when you drive by a certain distance from any cache. If your just headed to Kittery for the day and have all 5000 plus caches in Maine in the Nuvi, you can look at the distance and continuous arrows pointing towards the caches to see if there's any you want to grab as you go along. Quite frankly, I could get by without the Oregon with the info the Nuvi has and go back to my 60csx which works just as well.

hollora
07-30-2009, 06:55 PM
dubord207 has described this quite well. I love my Nuvi and now hardly ever use the Palm. As I didn't use the Palm to log the caches. Everything is on the Nuvi...hints, logs and then it gets you there too!

The question can you take the Nuvi with you to the cache may not have been answered. Yes, just unplug it and when it says it is shutting off and gives you an option to run off the battery - hit the button for battery.

I wished I had the 550 now so I had the option to use it for the WhereIGo caches. Not real brave with downloading and trying stuff and can't get a firm answer if the 350 I have will work with WhereIGo. It works fine for all else.

Use my Palm mostly for an address book now.

shuman road searchers
07-30-2009, 08:06 PM
One thing to remember about the Nuvi is that it is sensitive to water. If it is raining out(in Maine this year that is all the time) and I want my Nuvi with me for a hike than I put it inside a ziploc to protect it from the rain.

hollora
07-30-2009, 08:47 PM
One thing to remember about the Nuvi is that it is sensitive to water. If it is raining out(in Maine this year that is all the time) and I want my Nuvi with me for a hike than I put it inside a ziploc to protect it from the rain.

Now that's a good thought! But I seldom take mine out of the vehicle. Make note of the logs and whatever else and just the other Garmin for the rest. My hubby waits on my return to the vehicle....confident in the fact that should I not return...........he can confidently say to the person who finds him sitting on the side of the road or in the road - "look on that - that is where she should be!"

Haffy
07-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Don't forget the Macro for the NUVI is here" http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

Haffy
07-30-2009, 09:20 PM
There is a great Nuvi macro if you use GSAK here:

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

Also an advanced Nuvi macro by jjreds which you can find in the GC.com forums as well

MTCrunch23
08-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Thank you so much for all the great advice! My boyfriend actually has a Nuvi but I never knew it could be used for caching! We're going to start using it soon and I hope it's much better than the old Vista I had! I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.

Haffy
08-06-2009, 05:54 PM
The NUVI is great for routing to the cache site but I would suggest to use the Vista for getting to the cache itself. The NUVI isn't really made for caching,I would hate to drop mine.

hollora
08-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Drop a Nuvi - heck - mine took a header off the windshield in the sun the other day. The bracket - totally disenergrated (plastic broke around metal bar holding it on) - broken into pieces and I found the unit on the floor. The unit still works fine but a way to mount it - another problem.

Wrote Garmin and then are sending me a new mounting unit. Whew! I am thankful, too.

pm28570
08-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Same thing happened to mine a few days ago when caching around Greenville.....nothing broken though.

Drop a Nuvi - heck - mine took a header off the windshield in the sun the other day. The bracket - totally disenergrated (plastic broke around metal bar holding it on) - broken into pieces and I found the unit on the floor. The unit still works fine but a way to mount it - another problem.

Wrote Garmin and then are sending me a new mounting unit. Whew! I am thankful, too.

MTCrunch23
08-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Just wanted to say thank you for all the help and suggestions! We took the Nuvi out caching last night and it was perfect! And having the Vista along with it made it seem so easy! Thanks to everyone who's helped me out - I'm loving this paperless caching!

squirrelcache
08-08-2009, 03:18 PM
I'd recommend protecting the Nuvi w/a Ram mount!! Their suction cups are unmatched for holding strength. I use Ram mounts for on and off road, and have total faith in them. My Nuvi would also be mounted on one if they made one w/built in power ;)

hollora
08-08-2009, 05:55 PM
The bracket for my Nuvi just broke. I came back to the car (it was parked in a sunny spot on a very hot day) and the little plastic pieces on the back side of the metal bar (which hold the plastic suction section to the bar of the bracket) were laying on my seat. I emailed Garmin and inquired on how to buy a new one.......they are supposed to be sending me one.

Perhaps the metal heated up and with the weight of the unit hanging on it - it stressed the plastic - I don't know but it did break.

The tabs on my RAM bracket for my 76C also broke. Now to write them.......

Haffy
08-09-2009, 09:26 AM
I've had the same happen with my Nuvi but fortunately it hasn't broken yet. I'm always coming back and finding it on the floor of the car after falling from the windshield. Course it's quite a bit hotter down here most of the time too.

Ekidokai
08-09-2009, 02:04 PM
I can't believe you guys leave them on the dash or windshield. That is a good way to get them stolen. I always take mine off the dash and tuck it in the pocket near the seat out of sight.

brdad
08-09-2009, 03:31 PM
I usually take mine off the windshield, but not always. I usually leave the mount on the windshield, which I have heard invites people in to see if you have stashed the GPS in the console or elsewhere. I have heard it recommended to take the mount and all and clean the window of any markings from the mount.

pjpreb
08-10-2009, 09:21 PM
We switched to using a bean bag mount and love it

hollora
08-10-2009, 09:34 PM
We switched to using a bean bag mount and love it

That makes sense and it won't break........great idea.

benandtina
08-18-2009, 09:37 AM
I think we need a bean bag... Our mount has started randomly falling off the windshield. We keep the unit in the glove compartment when we're not using it but I'm scared it'll fall with the unit mounted one day and break something.

WhereRWe?
08-18-2009, 10:25 AM
I think we need a bean bag... Our mount has started randomly falling off the windshield. We keep the unit in the glove compartment when we're not using it but I'm scared it'll fall with the unit mounted one day and break something.

Sheesh! That's the way I lost my first PDA! The GPSr was in the stuck-to-the-window mount. It popped off the window, hit the PDA, and broke the screen.

:(:(

hollora
08-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Garmin replaced the mounting unit - interestingly enough - it was sent with a metal pad to mount onto the dash.

benandtina
08-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Sheesh! That's the way I lost my first PDA! The GPSr was in the stuck-to-the-window mount. It popped off the window, hit the PDA, and broke the screen.

:(:(

Wow! That's pretty impressive aim for a GPSr :P

Garmin replaced the mounting unit - interestingly enough - it was sent with a metal pad to mount onto the dash.

Is this what you are referring to? https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1377

It looks neat but I can't tell if it has to be permanently attached to the dash or not.

squirrelcache
08-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Woah....my plastic base comes 'unglued' in the heat w/small appliances attached. I can only imagine what the black sheet metal might do. Keep us posted!

hollora
08-18-2009, 03:50 PM
No - It wasn't that black mount - it was a flat metal disc (but I think it was black) - just a bit larger than the suction cup. It had double sided tape attached to it so you could peel off the backing and attach it to your dash and then I suspect put the suction cup on that instead of the windshield.

Mainiac1957 had his TomTom attached with one of those to his dash on the jeep. In the dust and stuff if came off on the road into TL. No problem - easy enough to reattach.

Not sure I am even going to put this on my dash. I am just happy to have the suction cup piece and bracket in one piece. The bracket with the suction cup is a much tougher looking quality than the original which came with my unit. Thicker plastic and stuff.

shuman road searchers
08-18-2009, 05:07 PM
I had that set up for my Nuvi and within 2 weeks threw it over my left shoulder.:mad: The suction cup constantly came off and the Nuvi would just hang there by the power cord:mad:! I mount the nuvi on the windshield very close to the dash so that if it does fall it does not have far to go!:)

hollora
08-18-2009, 07:30 PM
I had that set up for my Nuvi and within 2 weeks threw it over my left shoulder.:mad: The suction cup constantly came off and the Nuvi would just hang there by the power cord:mad:! I mount the nuvi on the windshield very close to the dash so that if it does fall it does not have far to go!:)

Thanks SRS for sharing your experience. I am not a fan of stuck on the dash stuff so already knew I probably would not use that part of what was sent. I will use the new bracket.

squirrelcache
08-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Perhaps we have opportunity for a new and important thread here. Obstructed view laws! It applies to stickers, tinting and even snow/ice. Depending on where you mount your GPS....you could be subject to an officer's judgment call.

hollora
08-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Perhaps we have opportunity for a new and important thread here. Obstructed view laws! It applies to stickers, tinting and even snow/ice. Depending on where you mount your GPS....you could be subject to an officer's judgment call.

And you are correct - the retired trooper often reminds me of this all the time.;)

Sudonim
08-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Rick, if this is a spam post, let me know and I will take it down. I'm not comfortable soliciting business on the forums, but this bracket may be just the thing for these problems!

I sell brackets from a company called Panavise. They make a bracket for most cars designed to mount a cell phone on the dash using existing screw holes, avoid the glovebox and airbags, works quite well and won't block your view. I use them for sirius and XM recievers. I stock some, but there are hundreds (custom for each vehicle) that I can get in about 2 days time. They are usually $25.00.
http://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&id1=30&startat=1&--woSECTIONSdatarq=30&--SECTIONSword=ww
Click on the vehicle brand at the top of the page to find the model for your vehicle. You can buy accessories to clamp different sized GPSrs into these brackets.

firefighterjake
08-19-2009, 03:14 PM
I've always had good luck with Ram Mounts . . . have one mounted on the ATV. Other folks mount them on kayaks, motorcycles, bikes, sleds, etc.

brdad
08-19-2009, 05:04 PM
As long as there is nothing between you and your GPS, your view is not obstructed is it? ;)

WhereRWe?
08-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Sheesh! I was reminded of another of the "10 Rules of Paperless Geocaching" today. Make sure you load your PDA before you depart...

:o:o

squirrelcache
08-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Yeah I solved that one by getting a new friend to help me and others riding along. A laptot! It's bailed me out a ton of times and was glad I had it along. Well that is...if you use GSAK ;) You just Never know what's going to happen out there.

cachecrashers4
08-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah I solved that one by getting a new friend to help me and others riding along. A laptot! It's bailed me out a ton of times and was glad I had it along. Well that is...if you use GSAK ;) You just Never know what's going to happen out there.
:eek: I hope that's a typo! LOL

squirrelcache
08-19-2009, 10:05 PM
:eek: I hope that's a typo! LOL
Laptot is the new nickname for netbooks......tiny laptops.

cachecrashers4
08-20-2009, 07:14 AM
Oh, ok, sorry. I hadn't heard that one before. *taking mind out of gutter*

benandtina
08-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I'm too flakey to remember to load the appropriate caches on the Garmin, so I just load everything in Maine and update it weekly.

This has only hurt us when we went to New Brunswick and I realized 20 minutes after we left home that I had no Canadian caches loaded, lol. Thankfully we were near Orono and able to stop at UMaine to print out a few cache descriptions.