View Full Version : Gsak

Kaching Karen
07-23-2008, 07:46 AM
First things first.
I have never kept a total of my caches on GSAK. I came across "Cache Stats" and thought it would be a good idea to have a record of my caches on my home page. Here's my problem...
How do I get my total caches into GSAK? I have about 800 caches and the pocket quieries only allow 500 at a time. I tried doing it by each province and state, but I was still missing about 200 caches. Any suggestions?
Once I get it in GSAK it will be a matter of updating the stats.

WhereRWe?
07-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Go to Geocaching.com/your account/build pocket queries. Below the list of your current PQ's, you'll see a block that says "My Finds". This PQ will get you all of your "found" caches. You can either load this PQ into GSAK, or put it on your desktop and load it into "Cache Stats".

:D:D

Kaching Karen
07-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Go to Geocaching.com/your account/build pocket queries. Below the list of your current PQ's, you'll see a block that says "My Finds". This PQ will get you all of your "found" caches. You can either load this PQ into GSAK, or put it on your desktop and load it into "Cache Stats".

:D:D

Thank you!

Wow, that was so easy! There is one minor detail.... on Geocaching.com it says I have 783 caches. On the quiery it says I have 782. Why the difference?

Now, how do I get these stats into "Cache Stats?"

Team2hunt
07-23-2008, 09:40 AM
http://www.logicweave.com/cachestats.html

And read "everything". :p Something I was once taught.

I have it set up so when the GPX file is downloaded it automatically loads into cache stats. Or you can import GPX file with the tab at the bottom of your stats page.

WhereRWe?
07-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Thank you!

Wow, that was so easy! There is one minor detail.... on Geocaching.com it says I have 783 caches. On the quiery it says I have 782. Why the difference?

I think that's a question for BRDAD! LOL!

The way I do it is: open the attachment (GPX file) to the email from GC.com and unzip the GPX file to your desktop.

Run CacheStats, Click on "open GPX file", and use the GPX file on your desktop. To create the code to add to your gc.com profile, go back to CacheStats, and click on "Export to HTML", then "copy to clipboard".

Go to your GC.com profile, "edit account details". Go to the "your profile details" and decide where you want to put CacheStats. Hit Ctrl +v to add the code to your profile page and you're done.

Sounds complicated, but once you've done it, it's not hard.

Good luck! :D:D

(Click on "our profile" below, and you'll see CacheStats on our profile. I updated it as I explained the procedure to you.)

hollora
07-23-2008, 10:20 AM
My count on GSAK and with GC.com has never been the same.....

Sudonim
07-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Thank you!

Is it possible that you logged a cache more than once? Maybe it was moved and the owner allowed a second discovery. I don't know if that would be treated differently or not.

becket
07-23-2008, 01:17 PM
[quote=Kaching Karen;44845]

Wow, that was so easy! There is one minor detail.... on Geocaching.com it says I have 783 caches. On the quiery it says I have 782. Why the difference?quote]

when i started caching, i did a lot of locationless caches. one was "dash for cache" which changed goals every few weeks. gsak only acknowledges the last one. it also only acknowledges the second of two caches i did that were moved/replaced and the owners allowed them to be logged a second time. i have 11 fewer cache finds on gsak that on geo.com because of this.

Kaching Karen
07-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Is it possible that you logged a cache more than once? Maybe it was moved and the owner allowed a second discovery. I don't know if that would be treated differently or not.

Yes, that was the problem. Thanks everyone. I spent the day getting ready for my geocaching workshop that I'm doing with Mum and Dad (Mumsbee and the Old Drone) this weekend. Boy, there is so much to cover... I need to remember K.I.S.S.

Team2hunt
07-24-2008, 08:09 AM
http://www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com/

This will link you to a website, that when you load in your " My Finds " PQ. Will let you know if you have double logged a cache. It's also the unofficial website for keeping track of your " Fizzy Challenge " progress. There is a way to use the website and not have your numbers public.

EvilHomer
07-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Maybe GSAK doesnt count things like Earthcaches, Benchmarks, or event caches like GC.com does.

Gob-ler
07-29-2008, 02:48 PM
GSAK can only keep track of what you put into it. Earthcaches and events are definitely counted. Benchmarks???? I am not sure.

masterson of the universe
08-30-2009, 03:48 PM
I haven't run a "My Finds" PQ yet on GC.com but have set up the needed PQ's to pull all Maine caches using Mike's dates in the other thread. After having all 10 PQ's loaded into GSAK and running a finds filter, I am coming up a difference of 79 caches??:eek::confused: In looking through my finds on GC.com, i can see that 41 of them are archived and those are for sure not included in the PQ's. I get that. Where the heck are the other 38 caches and why are they not being included? Also, when I run the FindstatGen3 macro on the finds, GSAK is indicating that I am one more short as it is thinking I have logged a cache twice? The only thing in GSAK that I can see is two caches that have very very similar names:
GCKWAE The Ol' Swimmin' Hole
and
GCVRHZ The 'Ol Swimmin' Hole
I can't find any duplicates in my finds on GC.com either.

When I run the filter for the finds in GSAK, the only thing I am doing is unchecking the "Not Found' box. Is it possible to get this to reflect my true number of finds and what is the process involved? GSAK is still new to me so I'm just looking to learn...

brdad
08-30-2009, 04:01 PM
MOTU...

Possibly Out of State caches?

As far as the two logs on one cache, it is probably in there. I had the same problem once when I mistakenly logged a find a second time instead of a note. The cache name does not make any difference, the macro uses the unique GCID to determine the cache. I don't remember any easy way to do it, sort of loading your myfinds PQ in a new GSAK database, and scrolling down the list using split screen view - logs only. Your myfinds PQ will only have your logs in it as well as the archived caches, so it makes this easier.

Other than that, double check your PQs and make sure no dates are skipped...

robt
08-30-2009, 04:33 PM
You can download all of your finds from GC.com and then there is a website, I wish I could remember the one, that you can use to check for duplicate logs. I did that one to find that I did log one 2 times

hollora
08-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Go to the GSAK web site, go to their Forums and log in - then go to: FAQ Index Search: Type in found. It will explain the steps to find duplicate logs and also how to correct missing caches.

You can actually find duplicate logs using a feature in the filter function of GSAK. I am far from the GSAK expert - but this worked for me to correct my data.

Gob-ler
08-30-2009, 05:05 PM
There is an easy way to find it.

Download your my finds PQ and load it into the database you use for your found caches.

One of the columns available in GSAK is FCount (Found Count)

When the database is loaded and you can see the FCount column click on the FCount column header and it will list the caches by the number of times they have been found. Most of course will be 1 but down at the bottom of the listing on the FCount column there will be the ones found/logged more than once. They will show a 2 or more number in the FCount column.

You then can go and clean up the cache logs that are the problem.

I think I have three or maybe four that I have found more than once when they were moved a distance or re-listed after being archived and then re-activated.

If anyone has trouble with the above drop me a note and I will help if possible.

Team2hunt
08-30-2009, 05:47 PM
You can download all of your finds from GC.com and then there is a website, I wish I could remember the one, that you can use to check for duplicate logs. I did that one to find that I did log one 2 times

http://www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com/

hollora
08-30-2009, 06:27 PM
There is an easy way to find it.

Download your my finds PQ and load it into the database you use for your found caches.

One of the columns available in GSAK is FCount (Found Count)

When the database is loaded and you can see the FCount column click on the FCount column header and it will list the caches by the number of times they have been found. Most of course will be 1 but down at the bottom of the listing on the FCount column there will be the ones found/logged more than once. They will show a 2 or more number in the FCount column.

You then can go and clean up the cache logs that are the problem.

I think I have three or maybe four that I have found more than once when they were moved a distance or re-listed after being archived and then re-activated.

If anyone has trouble with the above drop me a note and I will help if possible.

I didn't know you could do it this way - much easier. ;-)

Haffy
08-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Where is the Fcount column ,I don't seem to have it on mine?

Gob-ler
08-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Open GSAK
Tools Menu
Options
Display
Found Count is a box that can be checked. Actually, any box that is checked will display.

Team2hunt
08-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Open GSAK
Tools Menu
Options
Display
Found Count is a box that can be checked. Actually, any box that is checked will display.

From the tool menu: View>Add/Delete columns and check the columns that you want to see on your GSAK page. Then go back to View>Save Current View this will ask you to name the view.

I have several views for different screens. My "mainframe" screen has all of the caches from Maine/Vermont and New Hampshire. I have it set up so I can see the most important info, like cache size, D/T ratings, placed by and last log, along with others. My finds screen does not need all of that info and all I have date found by me, DNF date, (yes I have my share) and I have added the found count to that screen. Thanks Dick for the information to make finding duplicates easier. I personally have none! :p

Haffy
08-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Open GSAK
Tools Menu
Options
Display

Cool,found it. Now I know why my found count was 1 off all the time. A cache was muggled and they placed a new cache with new coordinates and I found it a second time after calling it by the same name. Thanks Dick

08-31-2009, 06:19 AM
Ok, I went back in using the FCount column found that I had indeed had done a bug drop on a cache and logged it as a find, not a note. Thats been corrected and after running a finds PQ, I now have everything but archived caches and events showing up. I had all my dates right on the PQ's but not sure what GSAK was doing with the numbers. By loading all in the state and doing a filter for my finds, i was only getting 354 while doing an actual PQ for them, it'll display 388. Weird. I'm sure I'll be back here with another question soon.

Ekidokai
09-02-2009, 12:42 PM
What does the bold lettering mean on the cache name?

brdad
09-02-2009, 01:33 PM
What does the bold lettering mean on the cache name?

That means that the cache contains child waypoints - parking / stages /etc...

09-02-2009, 10:16 PM
It took me a minute or two to figure out why I had airports showing up everywhere. After looking, it was these childwaypoints and all I had to do was change the icon in GSAK to the parking icon.

09-02-2009, 10:26 PM
I have another stats question. Am I doing something wrong that is creating the incorrect stats using the macro mentioned earlier? I'm particularly looking at the milestone section. It's all messed up as it says I got my 1st and 50th find in 2009, then my 100th was in 2008, then back to 2009 for 150th and 200th. 350 came in 2007, 300 came in 2008, 350 came in 2006, and back to 2009 for my current recognized 388th. The dates are correct in GSAK and match GC.com so I don't get it.

brdad
09-03-2009, 06:10 AM
If you did not log ALL of your caches in the order you found them, they will not show up in order. The default way the macro can determine find order is not by the date you logged it, but the order of the log ID number. The log ID number is a unique number associated with every cache log. It is buried in the GPX file; you will not see it under normal circumstances.

Information on how to fix this issue as well as others can be found on the Findstat FAQ page (http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=5037&st=0&#entry28436) at the GSAK website.

I have been known to copy logs from 20 or 30 caches, paste them into notepad, delete all those logs, and then re-log them in the correct order so every log is in chronological order. And I don't even pay much attention to my stats. It just drives me nuts if they are not in order. But then, I can be a bit anal about these things (and a few others if you haven't noticed).

Ekidokai
09-03-2009, 11:13 AM
I never thought it could make any difference to log them in order. I just find a bunch then log them. I'm not much into numbers or stats.

But those dates really seem messed up.

pm28570
09-03-2009, 01:27 PM
That, by the way, is a useful piece of information and worth the price of admission.

If you did not log ALL of your caches in the order you found them, they will not show up in order.

Mainiac1957
09-03-2009, 03:00 PM
I too am quite anal on how my caches get logged. Right order and date or I go in and fix them. It will mess up your milestones too, if doing a certain cache for a certain number means anything. Milestones used to mean more than they do now. When I hit 5000 I will pay attention. Or not!!:D

shuman road searchers
09-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Glad I am not alone:D

shuman road searchers
09-03-2009, 04:51 PM
I have created a second database in GSAK of all of the caches in maine. I input a pq for another cacher and my finds show up! Why? How, if possible do I stop that from happening?

brdad
09-03-2009, 06:12 PM
I have created a second database in GSAK of all of the caches in maine. I input a pq for another cacher and my finds show up! Why? How, if possible do I stop that from happening?

The settings for GSAK are set to one user - you. You can edit it but it's a PITA to change and change back. There are macros that allow you to input one persons finds to a new database and let you compare those to yours if that was your goal. However, I was just invited to dinner so that's all I am saying.

Theoretically, it's against gc.com's TOU to share PQs. I'm sure that's not such a big deal if it's a family member, but stray from there and I am not so sure.

shuman road searchers
09-03-2009, 07:26 PM
That was what I expected. The pq was one I just made up as a test!

09-03-2009, 09:30 PM
I was able to fix the stats stat in regards to the milestone issue. Was nothing more than going into the options of the macro and unchecking the two boxes in the milestone section. Everything is displaying correctly for me now.

Starzz
10-01-2009, 09:52 AM
I uploaded the geocaches from GSAK to my GPS. The name of the cache is listed, not the GC##### on the GPS. Is there anyway to change it? Thanks!

Sue

squirrelcache
10-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Yes......you can change that and more! Look up "tags" in the help file. When you export the file.....you want to check the waypoint name output format. Change it to %code if you want the GC#.

brdad
10-01-2009, 10:57 AM
For the GPSr, I like the tag %drop2. That loads the GC# without the GC prefix. Much easier to search for a cache on the list.

Ekidokai
10-01-2009, 11:34 AM
I know that you can change the info that is transmitted from GSAK, I just can't tell you how to do it.

squirrelcache
10-01-2009, 11:35 AM
That is a good one. I also like %dif1a, %ter1a, and %con1

Sheesh...all this reminds me that I was researching where I could host a GSAK class/event. After the GCme.org store apparel project is done...I'll have to get back on that one. ;) You'll have to come out and have fun w/us at that one Dave.

Ekidokai
10-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Wow I guess it took longer to write that than I thought.

While I have got the chance, GSAK is sending the blue flags t my GPSr, how do I change it to the treasure chest? If I don't have the chest the thing wont record and remove the cache.

Ekidokai
10-01-2009, 11:38 AM
That is a good one. I also like %dif1a, %ter1a, and %con1

Sheesh...all this reminds me that I was researching where I could host a GSAK class/event. After the GCme.org store apparel project is done...I'll have to get back on that one. ;) You'll have to come out and have fun w/us at that one Dave.

I'll be there.

squirrelcache
10-01-2009, 11:54 AM
In the export GPX window.....there's a tiny check box to force the use of geocaching symbols

Ekidokai
10-01-2009, 11:58 AM
I'll try that.

squirreldh
10-10-2009, 11:43 PM

One thing I noticed early on was my PQ, or what was being shown on cachestats, resulting in less caches than my total finds. Not sure if anyone has answered this question yet or not, it was on page one, But I noticed if i added the number of caches found with those that had been archived, the totals matched between GC and Cachestats.