View Full Version : New Look on Geocaching.com

hollora
07-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Has anyone noticed the new look on the GC front page? It also has new features on the cache page such as an option to open google maps to get directions to the cache location.

One thing that happened to me is the my pocket queries along a route would not work using my usual Internet Explorer brower. To get a query along a route to work, I had to use Firefox.

Something new to get used to using.

Hiram357
07-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Has anyone noticed the new look on the GC front page? It also has new features on the cache page such as an option to open google maps to get directions to the cache location.

One thing that happened to me is the my pocket queries along a route would not work using my usual Internet Explorer brower. To get a query along a route to work, I had to use Firefox.

Something new to get used to using.

I noticed that yesterday, I tossed my cookies and dumped my cache and did a windows update, and when I logged back on I was greeted with quite a suprise! :D

It is very nice looking, I haven't had any problems with it yet.

WhereRWe?
07-24-2008, 02:51 PM
I had to use Firefox.

Another convert! YAY! ;);)

hollora
07-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Another convert! YAY! ;);)

Son has sworn by it for a while. Have to say - things worked slick - no error messages.:)

Saint367
07-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Was on the site last evening and I'm guessing they made the switch at 6:00 pm. I was looking at the maps and just after 6:00 pm I thought I broke something, as the maps were different. I like the site so far.

hollora
07-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah there are now topo maps as well as directions from you house to a cache. One I just looked at was 3+ hours away. Assured my hubby we were not going for the FTF! LOL

Hiram357
07-24-2008, 05:50 PM
One I just looked at was 3+ hours away. Assured my hubby we were not going for the FTF! LOL

now wheres your sense of adventure!! :confused::confused::confused:

gas is under $4 a gallon in some places! get out there and cache away! (*note* if i was saying this, there would be an extreme undertone of sarcasm involved...) :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

hollora
07-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Your Landlord will explain I am full of adventure..........but, I am also, frugal.......he will tell you how so as well!

Katadin Goddess
07-24-2008, 06:13 PM
watch the driving directions feature. i did it on a few of mine just for kicks and it does not even come close.

hollora
07-24-2008, 06:52 PM
;-) I figured that might be a problem - thanks for the warning!

Hiram357
07-24-2008, 06:55 PM
watch the driving directions feature. i did it on a few of mine just for kicks and it does not even come close.

I think they're using magellan software for that... :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

al'Thor
07-24-2008, 09:21 PM
:(:mad: I keep getting an error message when I try to search. Lets say that I try to search by zip code I the following window popping up:

A location for "04654" could not be determined.

This happens to all the searches I try to do.

Any idea as to what is going on???

Hiram357
07-24-2008, 09:24 PM
:(:mad: I keep getting an error message when I try to search. Lets say that I try to search by zip code I the following window popping up:

You didn't get the memo?? they sold machias to canada, you don't have a USPS zip code anymore... :rolleyes:;):D

hollora
07-24-2008, 11:16 PM

If you have the Firefox browser try that - that brower is the only one that would help me.

Email them and report the problem. There is a problem using Internet Explorer I am sure.

JMHO

dubord207
07-25-2008, 06:59 AM
I got the same error message. I was going along fine logging new finds and suddenly it did not recognize towns or zip codes. As far as Machias, it's still there in spite of getting whacked with a thunder and lightning storm on Wednesday night like I have never seen. Lots of great caches up that way!:)

You didn't get the memo?? they sold machias to canada, you don't have a USPS zip code anymore... :rolleyes:;):D

firefighterjake
07-25-2008, 07:37 AM

That's pretty funny . . . cruel . . . but funny nonetheless.

Just for the record . . . I love going downeast. It's probably my favorite part of Maine.

becket
07-25-2008, 07:48 AM

i was getting that message yesterday, but today it seems to be working okay. if you are still having problems, just click on "advanced search" and it will take you to the next page where you can enter the zip code.

al'Thor
07-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Seems to working just fine now. Thanks

darterkitfox
07-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Everything looks exactly the same as it ever did to me. The new stuff must be for subscribers only.

Hiram357
07-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Everything looks exactly the same as it ever did to me. The new stuff must be for subscribers only.

try clearing your browsers cache and cookies, it didnt change for me until after i did that

WhereRWe?
07-25-2008, 06:19 PM
try clearing your browsers cache and cookies, it didnt change for me until after i did that

I cleaned the cookies out of my cache, and the cookie crumbs out of my keyboard, and that helped! :p:p

(Memo to self: Girl Scout Chocolate Mint cookies DO NOT go well with beer...)

darterkitfox
07-26-2008, 05:07 PM
I guess I should have left well enough alone. I deleted cookies and stuff and got the new site. Now when I try to use the map to find where the cache is located, it comes up with an error message. So much for caching tomorrow on the only day of the week I can go. How can I get the old site back?

EMSDanel
07-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Oh my.....for those still using paper....you can't print off cache pages (unless you cut and paste) and the maps do not allow you to zoom in anywhere near as close as they used to.

Mainiac1957
07-28-2008, 06:31 AM
They have several options on the top of the page for printing. Simple with no logs, PDF with or without logs. The map at the bottom of the page will let me zoom in as close as I want. I'll assume you need to be logged in to do these features. My is working fine though.

darterkitfox
07-28-2008, 07:31 AM
When I try for the map of the cache itself, it comes up with a message "internet explorer cannot open the internet site. Operation aborted." I was able to try one cache yesterday because I knew it was in the middle of Keoka lake. Unfortunately, that was the only one we could do. I sure am going to miss caching. Don't know what we will do for fun and exercise from now on. Thanks to Geocaching.com for "improving" the site.

darterkitfox
07-28-2008, 07:34 AM
I don't know anything about the printer part as we don't have a printer. I always just wrote down the coordinates on a piece of paper which I can still do, but since I can't get a map, I can't see any of the nearby caches to look up those caches. And without being able to see local roads, it would be hours of driving just trying to pin the cache down with a GPS arrow.

balinda
07-28-2008, 11:44 AM
If you have the coordinate you can type them into Google earth. to find roads. Then you can click the all nearby caches line just before the logs to find nearby caches.

hollora
07-28-2008, 12:12 PM
If you have the coordinate you can type them into Google earth. to find roads. Then you can click the all nearby caches line just before the logs to find nearby caches.

Google earth is wonderful with high speed - darterkitfox has dial up and google earth is impossible (taking hours to load - if it does at all)

ltlindian
07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
I also noticed that with the new site, sometimes when I print out the page some of the page doesn't print--like the coordinates! I've had to print the cache out 2 and 3 times to get the whole thing to come out. I'm not sure what that's about either. It sometimes looks like the whole thing is shifted to the side too. Maybe the new site isn't communicating with my printer like it did before. Again, I am not computer smart enough to know how to fix it.

This just makes me want to expedite my palm pilot purchase!

Mainiac1957
07-28-2008, 03:09 PM
As I said when they changed over I just saw the new look. An e-mail to Groundspeak may yield some insight to the problem. I would think that would like to help you out. After all you are the customer.

hollora
07-28-2008, 03:27 PM
As I said when they changed over I just saw the new look. An e-mail to Groundspeak may yield some insight to the problem. I would think that would like to help you out. After all you are the customer.

Agree with Mainiac1957 that problems we encounter should be emailed to them. I haven't checked the Forums yet but there may be some information in there too. Groundspeak does read the Forums and respond.

hollora
07-28-2008, 04:11 PM
It appears lots of folks have had problems since the change. There is a thread on the GC Forums with some information. This is how you would find it. http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/style_images/1/nav.gif Groundspeak Forums (http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=idx) > General Geocaching Discussions (http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=47) > Geocaching.com Web Site (http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=8)

I did get the "View A Map" section (up by the name of the State) to work today. Of course this doesn't help when the lovely weather of Saturday has passed.

Posting to the forums folks may find some help from the General Geocaching population.