View Full Version : cemetary caches

ltlindian
08-05-2008, 01:40 PM
I noticed that there are quite a few caches in or around cemetarys (sp? ies?) Anyhoo--does everyone ask permission to place a cache in or around a cemetary? Or is it considered public property? Who does one ask permission? Thanks.

kayaking loon
08-05-2008, 02:52 PM
I noticed that there are quite a few caches in or around cemetarys (sp? ies?) Anyhoo--does everyone ask permission to place a cache in or around a cemetary? Or is it considered public property? Who does one ask permission? Thanks.

I don't think you need to ask permission but it seems to be recommended that you put the caches just outside the cemetary so people aren't tromping over graves. And then state in the write-up that they are OUTSIDE. You have to ask the BRLT for permission to place a cache on their property. There's a cache at Ovens Mouth east side but I don't think there are any on the west side of the preserve, so that might be a good place. Caches have to be only a tenth of a mile apart, as the crow flies, but you probably want more space than that between them. And Kickercane Island, if you can fine a muggle-free spot! Guardrails are good, as long as they aren't too close to private property. One in Kingfield had to be archived because people were running over some ladies yard looking for a guardrail cache..

Does this mean there will be lots of caches to find when I'm in BBH 9/3 to 9/5?

ltlindian
08-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Haha! I hope that there will be at least 3 more caches for you. I placed one at Knickercane already, I'm waiting to hear about Barrett's Park. There's a cemetary near the golf course that's a very pretty spot, and just today I thought about Oven's Mouth west. I also have permission from BRLT to put on at Zak Preserve, we are just waiting for them to give me the ammo box. (they were very busy this past week with the Boatbuilder's Festival) So you should have plenty to do on your visit!:D

Saint367
08-05-2008, 04:05 PM
If you are looking for a cache in a cemetery, just remember the law so I don't have to come visit you :D

Enters or remains in a cemetery or burial ground at any time between 1/2 hour after sunset and
1/2 hour before sunrise the following day, unless that person enters or remains during hours in which
visitors are permitted to enter or remain by municipal ordinance or, in the case of a privately owned and
operated cemetery, by posting. Violation of this paragraph is a Class E crime.

WhereRWe?
08-05-2008, 04:36 PM

I'll admit that a lot of cachers will never ask permission to place a cache anywhere. But most experienced cachers usually consult a Ouija board or conduct a seance before placing caches in cemeteries. ;)

brdad
08-05-2008, 04:45 PM
If you are looking for a cache in a cemetery, just remember the law so I don't have to come visit you :D

Enters or remains in a cemetery or burial ground at any time between 1/2 hour after sunset and
1/2 hour before sunrise the following day, unless that person enters or remains during hours in which
visitors are permitted to enter or remain by municipal ordinance or, in the case of a privately owned and

So in other words, if you catch us, we just say we came in during normal hours?

Mainiac1957
08-05-2008, 04:48 PM

You missed that part Dave

hollora
08-05-2008, 05:41 PM
I was going to point out the State Law regarding cemeteries. Thank you Saint367.

Most cemeteries have a Sexton or a person who cares for the cemetery, governs burials and the like - that would be a starting place to ask. Some cemeteries have Boards of Directors, some are run by towns and some are private.......if you are unsure who to contact a local funeral director could probably assist.

There are also some very old, seemingly abandoned cemeteries in many places. If there is a veteran buried there other regulations apply so there may be others to ask such as the local VFW.

Personally, I like a cache which brings me to a cemetery. Placed so - cachers leave no trace. There is a lot of history and art in a cemetery and I perhaps would have never visited without knowing the location through Geocaching. The Old German cemetery comes immediately to mind.

At all times when pursuing cemetery caches one should exhibit respect.

brdad
08-05-2008, 07:28 PM
You missed that part Dave

Maybe you missed the UNLESS clause?

Just more proof rules/laws are overwritten to the point where they can be misinterpreted. Why can't they just say "Stay away after dark or prepare to be shot"?

Medawisla
08-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Maybe you missed the UNLESS clause?

Just more proof rules/laws are overwritten to the point where they can be misinterpreted. Why can't they just say "Stay away after dark or prepare to be shot"?

Oh you guys are too funny!!:p ...and right; try reading your town's Shoreland Zoning Ordinance! haha My job can be a hoot when I sit back and look from afar! :rolleyes:

Sorry to get off topic, so here's a sentence about cemetary caches: Do a search here for topics with the word cemetary; we've had many, many threads devoted to them. There's even a poll thread!:cool: Hiram and I love cemetary caches, and I think the only caches I'd have a problem with are ones hidden right at a tomb stone, tempting cachers to disturb the grave, but we've done come cool ones where the cache was at a memorial in the cemetary or in a stump, so banning them from within the cemetary would catch some caches that really aren't harming anything.

I agree with Hollora about always trying to make contact with a steward of any place if a landowner is not obvious. :cool:

firefighterjake
08-06-2008, 08:31 AM

I've placed a couple of caches near cemeteries and one "in" a cemetery. As others have said, I try to place these so that a) they're just outside of the cemetery so folks aren't tromping over graves, pawing through bushes next to headstones, etc. b) there is a reason for me bringing you to the cemetery (i.e. history -- Before Lizzie Borden Cache, memorial -- Out of the Ashes Cache or a good view) and c) I try to place it in a hide so that folks aren't tearing up stone wall fences or causing undue damage in their over-zealous search for the cache -- in other words these caches tend to be a bit easier. I don't place a cache near a cemetery just because it's "public space" -- there has to be a compelling reason for me to place a hide there. As public area I have not asked permission, but I do know that some cachers have asked the Town Sexton, Selectmen or Cemetery Board.

Many folks focus on the negatives of cemetery caches -- i.e. the possible destruction of the area, cachers not being sensitive to the survivors as they over-zealously search for the cache, etc. One thing that I feel bears mentioning is that a good cache can also provide some positives -- enlightening folks to the past (i.e. Lynching of Jim Cullen), memorializing a friend or family member (i.e. Moe's Mountain is a classic must-do cache) and reminding us all that our time on earth is finite. For all these reasons I have always enjoyed cemetery caches when they are done in a respectful manner.

Incidentally, you may have noticed that I said that some of my caches are near the cemetery (usually on the border), but one is in a cemetery -- this one exception to my rule brings you to a pair of headstones where you glean information from these headstones to bring you to the final cache which is located a short distance away -- in this case the pair of headstones belongs to a firefighter friend and three children who died in a fire and the final cache resting place is a park on the lot where this fire occurred -- my hope in placing this cache was (and has largely been shown to be true in most cases) that fellow cachers will take the time to remember these four people.

Hiram357
08-06-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't mind the cemetary caches, if it's an acutal container it's nicer if they're on the outside, I always feel kinda akward wandering around poking through a graveyard... doing the virtual tours of the cemetaries are pretty cool, FFJs cache in unity is a pretty well done one, it sheds a lot of light on the story, and it still keeps within the bounds of good taste.

kayaking loon
08-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Haha! I hope that there will be at least 3 more caches for you. I placed one at Knickercane already, I'm waiting to hear about Barrett's Park. There's a cemetary near the golf course that's a very pretty spot, and just today I thought about Oven's Mouth west. I also have permission from BRLT to put on at Zak Preserve, we are just waiting for them to give me the ammo box. (they were very busy this past week with the Boatbuilder's Festival) So you should have plenty to do on your visit!:D

I see you have two published already, good work! Don't forget the beauty of a magnetic cache, either key case or nanno (although I find getting the log out of a nanno a bit too challenging). You might scout around the pier at Cape Newagen, or down by the shore at Little River too. If you can find something metal, those caches will stick and the views are great. In the BBH Region you just need to stay far, far, away from all those rich people with the "Don't even think about looking at our house" signs. :eek: