View Full Version : Hi all

rovers3
08-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I've been a lurker on your site for a few months now and thought it was time to say hi. So, "Hi from north of the border."
We will be in Rockland Maine for about 1 week Sept 6-13 of this year and the dog and I intend to do some caching while my wife takes a watercolour course.
Any suggestions on "must do" caches in the area, preferably those in interesting or scenic locals or good hiking, would be greatly appreciated.
If anyone wants to hook up with me during that time I would be happy to drive, not sure of distance but up to 100mi seems reasonable.
Look forward to hearing from any of you and to our visit.

Great site
rovers3

Haffy
08-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Welcome to the site and I hope some of my Maine friends will chime in with some great caches for you to visit and even someone to tag along with you to show you some of our beautiful state.

darterkitfox
08-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Welcome, and remind again closer to your vacation. My wife has had the same schedule for 32 years and I still can't remember what she works next week.

Mainiac1957
08-10-2008, 08:04 PM
There are 2 events on the sixth.

The Last Cache Bashe of Summer 2008 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f4f5f144-e53a-4d38-b229-0a0dd3f58bcd) (GC1DK74) by mainiac1957 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=139598) (1/1)
Apres The Last Cache Bashe of Summer Event 2008 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6ad2debd-5168-4e89-8b64-c94ed7a2de80) (GC1DP5Y) by hollora (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=506328) (1/1.5)
These are about an hour ride north of Rockland. I am hosting the first one. It's always nice to have some visitors from away join us.

Medawisla
08-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Camden is near Rockland, and it's got lots of fun finds. A hike up Mt Battie will get you a cache and some interesting history and of course gorgeous views! Do a search for caches near Camden, Maine. Enjoy your visit!:cool:

hollora
08-10-2008, 08:44 PM
There are 2 events on the sixth.

The Last Cache Bashe of Summer 2008 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f4f5f144-e53a-4d38-b229-0a0dd3f58bcd) (GC1DK74) by mainiac1957 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=139598) (1/1)
Apres The Last Cache Bashe of Summer Event 2008 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6ad2debd-5168-4e89-8b64-c94ed7a2de80) (GC1DP5Y) by hollora (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=506328) (1/1.5)
These are about an hour ride north of Rockland. I am hosting the first one. It's always nice to have some visitors from away join us.

And I am hosting the second one.....ditto on having visitors. Coming up you could do some caches in Frankfort up to Hampden and then loop down the other side of the Penobscot River (Brewer to Orrington) and back across the Penobscot Narrows bridge to return.

cachecrashers4
08-11-2008, 07:21 PM
I would suggest Going to the Chapel GCWMXP in Camden for a beautiful garden. Almost all of the hills in and around Camden Hills State Park have caches on them and are good hikes. Merry Spring Cache GCJD3Q has a nice garden and trail system.

pm28570
08-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Having done it today, I would recommend CDJD3Z Beech Hill Cache. A nice little hike that rewards you with outstanding views and an unusual fieldstone building at the top. Be sure to bring your camera. As is often said, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

Waterski
08-19-2008, 02:26 AM
Please keep in touch if you need more help with Rockland as it is my hometown. I hope you get to do my cache at the Breakwater Lighthouse Gc1A030 while you are in town. It is about a mile walk out to the lighthouse and a great way to see the sights of the harbor here. Pattys Mount Battie is a great trip, but check on the status of the cache. It has recently been replaced but the last cacher did not locate it. A hike to Maiden's Cliff is also a good trip and not a long hike. GCWX3K. I am sure your wife is aware of the Wyeth Center and the downtown area is a wealth of galleries now. There is a nice boardwalk area as well at the harbor, and a cache there. Hope you get to enjoy some of our great lobster and seafood while you are in the area! Its not all about the numbers, (good food is important), :);), but there are some great cache sites you won't want to miss. Marshall Point lighthouse is another area you might enjoy. That area was in the Forrest Gump movie.

Team2hunt
08-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Out to one of the islands, Vinalhaven. It's a beautiful ride out and a wonderful island to explore. Leaves right from Rockland harbor.

Vinalhaven - Carver's Harbor by Gob-ler (1.5/1.5)

and a few others on the island too.

We just returned from a trip to Canada and a few Toronto caches.

Which side of the Fence? by hubcap33 (2/2)

Remembrance in York Cemetery by Fort S (2/1.5)

A beautiful place.

And welcome to the site. :)

darterkitfox
08-19-2008, 07:39 PM
I wish these posts were the two days ago and not today. My company put me up at the Navigator Inn in Rockland yesterday and I had to ferry over to Vinalhaven this morning. After loading up 103 television sets and hundreds of paint cans at the transfer station to take off island, I had time to do some caches if I had the coordinates for them. These fancy downloadable GPS's that everyone keeps trying to get me to use sure would have come in handy. I just don't have enough paper to keep a list in every town I might ever go to.

Sabby
08-19-2008, 07:51 PM
After loading up 103 television sets and hundreds of paint cans at the transfer station to take off island, I had time to do some caches if I had the coordinates for them. These fancy downloadable GPS's that everyone keeps trying to get me to use sure would have come in handy. I just don't have enough paper to keep a list in every town I might ever go to.

I got a real good deal on an old laptop (free) that the owner could not even give to a local charity because the processor was too slow. Well it runs GSAK ok and I keep it updated with the caches for Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and eastern New York. With the GPS cable I can load caches anytime I want. No paper.

hollora
08-19-2008, 09:19 PM
........... Vinalhaven this morning. After loading up 103 television sets and hundreds of paint cans at the transfer station to take off island, I had time to do some caches if I had the coordinates for them. These fancy downloadable GPS's that everyone keeps trying to get me to use sure would have come in handy. I just don't have enough paper to keep a list in every town I might ever go to.

That transfer station is unbelievable! I went there when I went to the island last year. Some great stuff in their trade and swap shack.

Anyway - keep working on the GC.com site or just post here - where you are going and perhaps we can help you. I have a downloadable GPSr and couldn't even load stuff this weekend (ask Mainaic1957 - drivers and operator error :confused:) I am able to look at the maps through google maps and I just zoom out so I can see more.

Don't give up DKF - you now have a good job and good fortune should be forthcoming.

The Vinalhaven caches will be there for a while and there will always be HazMat stuff to pick up.:)

kayaking loon
08-27-2008, 09:56 AM
[quote=rovers3;45246]I've been a lurker on your site for a few months Any suggestions on "must do" caches in the area, preferably those in interesting or scenic locals or good hiking, would be greatly appreciated.

Don't miss: Beech Hill; Patty's Mount Battie (if it hasn't been muggled again); Gravity Outlaw; Knight's Pond Cache; American Chestnut; On the Rocks; Going To the Chapel; Breakwater Lighthouse; Snow Cache; Green Glass... and many others. Eat at Peter Ott's Tavern in Camden, great food!

Opalsns
08-27-2008, 10:25 AM
AND,
AS ALWAYS .....
.....Beautiful Canaan in Central Maine. Stop by on your way to the events. There are 11 caches within 6 miles of each other. Four are in Lake George Park area!!!
Opalsns ans BubbaBass

rovers3
09-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Want to thank all that replied to my post. Now have a few plans on caches to visit.
We will be leaving this Thursday morning to arrive in Rockland Friday. Hope to see some of you on the trails.
BTW what is the situation with ticks in the area this time of year?

d’76
09-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Want to thank all that replied to my post. Now have a few plans on caches to visit.
We will be leaving this Thursday morning to arrive in Rockland Friday. Hope to see some of you on the trails.
BTW what is the situation with ticks in the area this time of year?

Always be on the look out for those little darlings. They see to be more popular in southern maine but I picked one up in the Bangor city forest a month or so ago.

rovers3
09-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Well we are here and sorry we missed the two events on Saturday but with the threatening weather we decided to pass.
Went for a long hike in the Mount Battie area yesterday, about 5 hours and I found that I'm not in as good shape as I thought esp on the steep hills. Hiked from the hikers parking lot at the park entrance to Patty's Mount Battie and then on to At the edge of Life at Maiden's Cliff picking up Juliebugs Cache along the way. Great hiking with some great views. Had the dog with me but didn't keep her on leash most of the way because that is just too dangerous on the rocky and rooty trail. rovers3

pm28570
09-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Just out of curiosity, where did you end up camping?

hollora
09-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Just out of curiosity, where did you end up camping?

Not sure about the posters who didn't come to the event(s) due to weather but 10 brave souls in 8 tents were at my house for the Apres event overnight. 44 people overall came for the late afernoon and early evening enjoying food, drinks, a fire, cache talk, trackable discovery, swapping out some cache containers and just enjoying the back yard. Of those who stayed over, 3 of them went in the rain to do a Night Cache at the Geozoo. A tableful of them stayed up until after 12MN playing Yatzee. 2 retreated to their local home in the middle of the night because of a major tent leak. 1 rereated to their car. 8 folks enjoyed breakfast served promptly as promised at 7AM and a couple of others came back to join them. We looked at one collapsed EzEUp but marveled that 2 survived (thanks to the efforts of those playing Yatzee and staying over), looked at the rain gauge to find out 2 1/2" of rain had fallen and just enjoyed a damp morning.

Thank you one and all - by Monday at supper time - you would never have known anything happened at my house over the weekend. A testimony to the respect we all have for one another!

This was a test of fortitude in cache/camping - that's for sure!