View Full Version : Newsletter Contents

Medawisla
08-10-2008, 09:01 PM
What sections are most important to you?:confused:

I've been hearing that the events section should be longer and the hot topics section should be shorter.

Make your thoughts known! This will really help me out, so thank you!:cool:

Vote for the section you want to be emphasized, and you may also post a reply with what you really enjoy about the newsletter! Feel free to offer ideas too!:D

The As Is category is a vote for keeping the newsletter sections at their current form/length. Voting to emphasize a particular section will result in other section(s) being shortened, so please post a reply that indicates what sections you really enjoy to help me figure out what to keep and what to shorten/eliminate. :cool:

Haffy
08-11-2008, 04:03 PM
I like them all!!!!

Medawisla
08-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Thank you to those who have voted thus far.

I am have a hard time fitting the newsletter on two pages. So to those who voted to keep it "as is" please indicate what about the "as is" you like so much.

Thank you very much :D

Medawisla
08-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Don't forget about the poll going on here...

Also, I'm looking for material for September's feature stories...what about geocaching have you been thinking about, doing, or enjoying lately?

Medawisla
08-20-2008, 08:18 PM
I really should have stressed how hard it is to stick with the "as is" category. I have been having to sacrifice many hot topics to keep it to 2, sometimes 2 1/2 pages...this coming newsletter I sacrificed one media story, and (luckily?) didn't have but one feature...next month, based on these results, I may try to keep hot topics and features but cut out more of the media stories or other stuff...so pipe up if that's not what you want!:p

Don't forget about the poll going on here...

Also, I'm looking for material for September's feature stories...what about geocaching have you been thinking about, doing, or enjoying lately?

When I said that, I meant October's newsletter. Septembers is just about done, pending this poll, and it's October's I'm starting on...:o

Medawisla
08-22-2008, 04:02 PM
I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with this poll; more people cared what the name of the newsletter was going to be than do what the contents are...:(

hollora
08-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Not understanding all this type of newsletter entails (I am the old - do it in Word or publisher, print it out and mail it), I may not have really unstood what I voted on. When my "newsletter" comes via email, I see no pages so I see not problem with pages.

I get sort of a "newsletter" from Geocaching.com and it is similar but just goes on until it is done. I see no problem with that email from GC.com. Steph - is that within the pages you talk about or is it longer?

Is there a reason you are limited to a certain number of "pages"? I thought it was my email in box that would be effected not GCM. Guess it just shows my limited knowledge of this technology.

What is important to me - highlights of local (Maine and just a tad outside or Mega) events, anything significant in the news (cache disappearances, bomb squad, etc.), great cache hides (ideas or some which have been found), working with the GC.com web site (forums, changes, etc.), changes to GCM or significant posts. There may be more but this should be a well rounded list.

Thanks Steph for all you do.

Haffy
08-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Steh I think you do an outstanding job with the newsletter and in my opinion just do what you are doing. The longer the better for me as I hate to miss anything that happens up in Maine and has anything to do with all my friends back home. I'll never tire of anything that is written no matter how long.

Medawisla
08-22-2008, 07:06 PM
thanks for posting, hollora and haffy!

We had another poll at some point about the length of the newsletter, which is typed in word first. The current length in word is 2 page;, most months running onto 3, because I have a hard time cutting it down. You don't see pages so-to-speak, because it comes to you in email format, but in order to describe and get a take on the length, I tell you that it is currently 2 pages in length so you have an idea of how long it is or could be.

hollora, what you posted for content is great information/ideas; I hope others will post in response, too!

I'm glad you two enjoy reading the newsletter, however long.:cool:

hollora
08-22-2008, 07:34 PM
I just don't see the issue with length?!? If you don't want to read it - like, hit delete when you are part way through. It comes as an email, so, what it the issue?

I usually glance through and read what I want. The format allows you to do that which is great!

Steph does a great job of highlighting what is going on - she is as good as the folks who do it for GC.com so we should all be thankful.

Unless there are computer/website issues of which I may not be aware - what to heck - let Steph post it = we will read it or delete it. I change my vote! Can I? Whatever Steph says = yeah, that's my vote!

brdad
08-22-2008, 07:42 PM
The issue with length is due to making it easy to read and to entice those that don't visit often to come and participate.

Stef, I would assume some of those who are happy with it the way it is didn't comment or vote.

hollora
08-22-2008, 07:47 PM
The issue with length is due to making it easy to read and to entice those that don't visit often to come and participate.

Stef, I would assume some of those who are happy with it the way it is didn't comment or vote.

Yeah, ok - but I would presume most would read the first part = matter of set up...and the rest would be their choice. Regardless, of length - some won't read it to the end anyway.

I know with GC.com and I bet the same for you - you pick and choose what your read. I'm ok with however this one goes because I keep up on what matters to me anyway.

dubord207
08-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Like most organizations, this one is about the folks that choose to play this game/sport. Having "played" for less then a year, I find this site seems to be a forum for very few of the actual members. That's fine with me as there are serious cachers who seem less involved in this site as many, and there a lot of folks who contribute often to this site who seem less interested in the actual game itself. So why is that?

My thought is that is that unless you've been involved for a couple of years, then you're considered a "new comer" regardless of your enthusiasm or you're willingness to be involved. Personally, I don't really feel a part of this group. I have met a few at events I have attended, but milestones seem only important to the "inner" group. I have learned over the years that recognition of volunteers and players is the most important part of keeping an organization alive and viable. In this group, to me, and maybe only me, unless you "know" the principals involved on this site, you could log a thousand caches in a day and nobody would say diddly.

The point is if the organiation want to keep members, they need to feel involved and not looking much like a tourist visiting Maine once a year.
After 10 months, that's how Dianne and I feel, like tourists, out of staters, or people that don't belong.

We really enjoy geocaching and probably have a lot of energy we could contribute so my suggestion is that the newletter reaches out to us "newbies" and maybe makes brief mention to accomplishments of those who have come aboard in a big way. It's amazing how far an occasional "atta-boy" will go.

I'd spend a fair amount of the newletter about the activities of members,caching and non-caching. That would be of far more interest to Dianne and myself then the usual.

WhereRWe?
08-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Like most organizations, this one is about the folks that choose to play this game/sport. Having "played" for less then a year, I find this site seems to be a forum for very few of the actual members. That's fine with me as there are serious cachers who seem less involved in this site as many, and there a lot of folks who contribute often to this site who seem less interested in the actual game itself. So why is that?

My thought is that is that unless you've been involved for a couple of years, then you're considered a "new comer" regardless of your enthusiasm or you're willingness to be involved. Personally, I don't really feel a part of this group. I have met a few at events I have attended, but milestones seem only important to the "inner" group. I have learned over the years that recognition of volunteers and players is the most important part of keeping an organization alive and viable. In this group, to me, and maybe only me, unless you "know" the principals involved on this site, you could log a thousand caches in a day and nobody would say diddly.

The point is if the organiation want to keep members, they need to feel involved and not looking much like a tourist visiting Maine once a year.
After 10 months, that's how Dianne and I feel, like tourists, out of staters, or people that don't belong.

We really enjoy geocaching and probably have a lot of energy we could contribute so my suggestion is that the newletter reaches out to us "newbies" and maybe makes brief mention to accomplishments of those who have come aboard in a big way. It's amazing how far an occasional "atta-boy" will go.

I'd spend a fair amount of the newletter about the activities of members,caching and non-caching. That would be of far more interest to Dianne and myself then the usual.

Sorry, Dan. A lot of this message didn't make any sense to me. From what I've seen, you've been welcomed at events, discussed favorably in this website's forums - including much space about your recent wedding - and received kudos within the last 2 weeks about YOUR 1,000 cache milestone.

What is your complaint?

You state: "That's fine with me as there are serious cachers who seem less involved in this site as many, and there a lot of folks who contribute often to this site who seem less interested in the actual game itself." Who are you talking about? Do you propose a quota? No messages posted unless you have logged XXX number of caches in the last month? Yeah. so far RULOST2? and I have ONLY logged 114 caches. We logged 441 caches in 2007, and 530 in 2006. Does this mean we are not as dedicated to geocaching as we were in 2006? I attended an event in New Jersey today. Wore my Geocaching Maine shirt. Passed out probably 30 of our signature Maine Geocacher Permits, which prominently mention geocachingmaine.org. Am I "less interested" in the "actual game"? (I'm not sure about right now, but for most of the time, I've posted more messages to this site than anyone...)

"serious cachers who seem less involved in this site as many" What does this mean? Yes - not every "serious" Maine geocacher likes to speak up in online forums. That's normal. I can think of quite a few Maine geocachers who don't post messages often, but who are as much a part of the "sport" - if not more - than anyone in Maine. How about Beach Comber? Noreasta? Ye Old Prospector? I'll bet you've never met any of them. They don't say much, but to the people who have been geocaching in Maine for more than "less than a year", they're icons of the "sport" in Maine.

To go back to your basic comment: maybe makes brief mention to accomplishments of those who have come aboard in a big way." I think you've been "mentioned" in this site "in a big way" already. What more do you want???

brdad
08-24-2008, 09:14 PM
When it comes to recognizing milestones, usually those are posted by a friend who was with the person who was with the person when he made the milestone. Other times a cacher may post in his cache log that he made a milestone and someone notices. Other than that, it's hard to tell. So it is easy to be missed. In short, it's hard to know who is at one number unless you watch ever cacher's log.

Milestones mean less and less to me as the years have passed. I have to look up my own profile to see how many caches I have, where I used to keep track of them in my head. I don't care much how many caches I have, I just want to get out and enjoy the world. I don't care much how many caches you have, I just care that you have a good time caching - and if I have more posts on this site than I do cache finds, that is why. I talk to people at events, here, or in chat, and almost never have a clue if they have more or less than I do, nor would I judge you by that number. As much as I love playing with the stats for the caches we have here, that does not extend into the stats of the cachers.

dubord207, I thought you had melded into the community quite well and have offered your input and thoughts on several occasions which improves the site as a whole.

If you can think of a way to keep track of milestones of all Maine cachers, speak up and maybe we can make that happen.

Regarding the comment "I'd spend a fair amount of the newletter about the activities of members,caching and non-caching. That would be of far more interest to Dianne and myself then the usual.", What are you talking about there, member bios or caching articles or something else? Someone mentioned bios a while back, I cannot remember who, however...

Medawisla
08-24-2008, 09:15 PM
WhereRWe?, my acquaintence with you leads me to believe that you are a really open guy, wanting to welcome and get to know the whole story, so I hope that's how Dubord recognizes your post: as wanting to learn more about him.

With that said, Dubord, I do hope the newsletter is inclusive and brings folks to this "inner circle". When you say, "I'd spend a fair amount of the newletter about the activities of members,caching and non-caching. That would be of far more interest to Dianne and myself then the usual", can you give me more: how might I add more about the activities of members? I have focused the feature stories on caching-themed issues. I do appologize for the ubiquitous use of the word "newbie" or "newo-geo". Honestly, it was meant to be inclusive and welcoming, on an understanding level, not as a way to segregate! But I like the thought, I hope others will pipe in, should the features include stories that are non-cache related? What would you like to read about?

I know for me, I became more interested in geocaching than initially when I started to discover that other geocachers had other interests that were similar to mine, such as hiking, kayaking, environmental issues, etc. Whether it's off-road sports, water adventures, hiking, technology, scrapbooking or other aspects of geocaching, geocachers are always getting together for other interests. Are these the types of activities you mean and would like to read about?

dubord207
08-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Let me try this again. Having attended a few events I have met some of you but really don't know that much about the background of the folks who play this game. We all share a love of this game, for sure, but my guess is that there are players among us who have very interesting life stories that to me that could be of interest to the group as a whole. This is a volunteer organization, although I'm still not sure exactly how it's organized, but to keep members, the members need to be involved at some level. There was some discussion a while back about money and that thread just petered out. I suggested some member "incentives" to raise funds but the topic just "went away." To me that topic was an important issue that perhaps a committee could review and then make recommendations

My point is that there probably are some resources among the membership that are being untapped. Maybe an occassional bio is the answer, not to recognize Geo-milestones, but to add some informational background to the cachers statistics. I don't have the time to attend all the events so some of you are just faces to me when in reality you're real people with real careers and lifestyles. The bio's in our individual listings offer little so my impressions are based largely on the logs, some which are very helpful, some which are funny, and a lot that are more or less personal chit chat between cachers.

So my suggestion is to look at our players and spend a little time each month with bio info. By way of example, gob-ler, our caching king here in Maine is not only a techo wizard but a minister, hunter and who knows what else, but certainly an interesting character to whom I think both new and existing members would enjoy learning more about.

Lastly, aside from the money issue I have seen little in the way of requests for help. Personally, I would like my recognition in anything I do to come from contributing "to the cause" not from any particular number. Maybe the legal structure of this organization could be reviewed, improved, whatever. I'm not the only attorney playing so if asked I could do this for the organization and THEN I would feel "involved."

Hope this clarifies where I'm coming from.:)

brdad
08-25-2008, 08:19 AM
I for one have always tried to get the members involved in this site. The organizational structure is loose so that the members can contribute as they want.
As with many forums, there will be a high number who just read and never contribute to any conversations.

I would love to see more people contribute to the site, both in the forms of posting to these threads, and posting articles to the site. Also, if they thought up a project to help generate a few bucks for the site that is great too.

A perfect example is the coin. I for one have little interest in the coin itself, but I think it's a great form of promotion for our site. And I know we have members who love the coins. And yet, do a search to see who had to start a thread asking if we wanted a coin this year - you'll find it was me. And when the time came to find someone to ask for ideas, get people motivated, and handle a schedule to see it through, where are all the coin lovers? All it would take is just one interested cacher next time to work out a time frame and to organize the design and manufacture of a promotional product. The board and other forum members are always there to help work out any details if need be.

I agree, dubord. There are very diverse backgrounds and much talent in the membership here. If we could convince them to step up and write tutorials, caching stories, or other useful information or fun stuff, it would make the site that much better. But how do we convince the membership to contribute, or if nothing else, join in?

firefighterjake
08-25-2008, 03:21 PM
. . . But how do we convince the membership to contribute, or if nothing else, join in?

We are the Geocaching Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/507/Borg.jpg

dubord207
08-25-2008, 05:03 PM
As far as money, it seemed from the prior discussions that there is very little agreement. Before asking for money, I think the members would like to know that is needed, how much was spent the prior year, all the sort of things an organization does when it puts a budget together. I know that there are folks like Rick that put in a huge amount of time keeping this up and running. Are there things he needs? What does it cost to run this site at its present capacity? If money is not an issue then say so and we can move on to other more fun topics but I sensed some undertones about the money questions from the prior discussions. Somebody asked if the organization was a 501 (c) (3)? Unlikely, but again with lawyers and accountants playing this game, we can volunteer our skills in these areas to provide direction.

As far as topics, I would like the veterans to kick it up a notch and lay out some tutorials that new cachers can wrap their arms around. Like GSAK 101. When I finally got the help I needed to get this going (translated: when Dianne figured it out) my caching production increased immensely. While Clyde has an on line tutorial, I have found comments from Bruce, Dick, Jason, brdad and others to be far more helpful.

And to take us back to full circle, I still feel the members on this site do just an "ok" job of recognizing the accomplishments of other players. A couple of keystrokes from more of us and a person with whatever listed milestone will feel more like a part of this fine group and more likely to be an active participant. I hope this is taken in a positive light and not the ramblings of a gin-crazed lawyer!:):)

Medawisla
08-25-2008, 06:03 PM
My point is that there probably are some resources among the membership that are being untapped. Maybe an occassional bio is the answer, not to recognize Geo-milestones, but to add some informational background to the cachers statistics. I don't have the time to attend all the events so some of you are just faces to me when in reality you're real people with real careers and lifestyles. The bio's in our individual listings offer little so my impressions are based largely on the logs, some which are very helpful, some which are funny, and a lot that are more or less personal chit chat between cachers.

So my suggestion is to look at our players and spend a little time each month with bio info. By way of example, gob-ler, our caching king here in Maine is not only a techo wizard but a minister, hunter and who knows what else, but certainly an interesting character to whom I think both new and existing members would enjoy learning more about.

Dubord, thanks a lot for clarifying! Isn't it funny how the way you type can be totally different than the way someone reads. I'd like to emphasize that our community is full of diverse cachers with backgrounds that could lend to our community in lots of great ways. I would love to help share these backgrounds for whatever comes of the sharing.

I agree it is great to feel involved, and I think there are many of us who feel involvement is better when it's organized or structured. Leaders can collaborate with others who have skills for a certain project. This makes more sense to me than having cachers with skills, other than leading, trying to lead the projects they're interested in. (Though I am also a firm believer that everyone can become a leader; we each have our own styles of leading, but we can all do it with practice.) And then there are many others of us who feel we should be as unstructured as possible to allow as much freedom as possible. There are some who think our community could be improved with more involvement, more structure, more outreach, but there are some who think we shouldn't fix what's not broken. I hope the discussion continues to comb out:
what freedoms do we really want? what about structure would stiffle those freedoms? how do we to implement improvements without stiffling freedoms? :confused:
and to find balance and increase commodary.

In the mean time, I love the idea of sharing our backgrounds through little bios in the Newsletter, or even better: creating a bios thread that would be contributed to monthly (or whenever) and then in the Newsletter I could introduce the latest post with the link to the thread. Would that capture your idea? What does everyone else think?:confused:

darterkitfox
08-25-2008, 06:41 PM
First off, if you decide to start publishing numbers, leave my name out. I could have more caches than 90% of you if I chose to. This Sunday, I did the 9/11 tribute at the top of Mt Washington. I could have done 25 guardrails instead. Numbers mean nothing to me and I don't want anyone judging me from them.

Something of interest to put in the newsletter would a little more description and experience of a cache site. I have seen in the forums someone mentioning they had quite a story about a cache but it always leads to it just being an inside joke among a couple members. Lately there has been mention about some mountain caches done while 4 wheeling or getting a cache that was archived and turning out to be not the cache. I would like to hear more. We did a cache just up the hill over the bridge from Wiscasset. It is a large meadow with mowed walking trails. There were wildflowers, butterflies, no other people around, and my dog could go lose. If someone has a place that is extra special, I would like to know so I could plan accordingly.

Medawisla
08-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Something of interest to put in the newsletter would a little more description and experience of a cache site. I have seen in the forums someone mentioning they had quite a story about a cache but it always leads to it just being an inside joke among a couple members. Lately there has been mention about some mountain caches done while 4 wheeling or getting a cache that was archived and turning out to be not the cache. I would like to hear more. We did a cache just up the hill over the bridge from Wiscasset. It is a large meadow with mowed walking trails. There were wildflowers, butterflies, no other people around, and my dog could go lose. If someone has a place that is extra special, I would like to know so I could plan accordingly.

I like the idea of highlighting special cache locations! Hopefully I'll get that in a newsletter very soon.:)

hollora
08-25-2008, 07:54 PM
I like the idea of highlighting special cache locations! Hopefully I'll get that in a newsletter very soon.:)

Medawisla - what about that Fort Cache the day we all went to Vinalhaven - that was very cool ~ even though I had to huff and puff on the way back as it was more than the stated 1/3 mile, LOL. I would also be willing to write you up something about the cache on the far side of Vinalhaven.

Medawisla
08-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Medawisla - what about that Fort Cache the day we all went to Vinalhaven - that was very cool ~ even though I had to huff and puff on the way back as it was more than the stated 1/3 mile, LOL. I would also be willing to write you up something about the cache on the far side of Vinalhaven.

Awesome! I need all the material I can get.
DKF, feel free to PM me info or for my email if that's easier. :cool:

brdad
08-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Darterkitfox - lead by example. That is one of the reasons the articles (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49) sections exists.

If you had a good cache experience, write an article about it, include some pictures and a link to the cache page. I'd love to see more of these stories.

I am not so much of a story writer, but I did enjoy posting the articles I have posted. I think they are informative and hopefully help. I'd probably make another one if I was given an idea what people needed help with.

I would rather see these stories posted as an article and then mentioned in the newsletter than to just have it in the newsletter. When the board worked out the details of the newsletter, we wanted to keep it as straightforward and unbiased as possible. If a story were posted only in the newsletter, someone may wonder why their cache hasn't been featured.

Medawisla
08-25-2008, 08:10 PM
I would rather see these stories posted as an article and then mentioned in the newsletter than to just have it in the newsletter. When the board worked out the details of the newsletter, we wanted to keep it as straightforward and unbiased as possible. If a story were posted only in the newsletter, someone may wonder why their cache hasn't been featured.

More importantly, by having the article, we can come back to it time and again, the newsletter is just a blimp that particular month and then gone (well it is in the newsletter thread, but com'on we all know we'd rather read the articles thread!):D:p

hollora
08-25-2008, 08:21 PM
And we all need to remember all people do not feel comfortable writing.

WhereRWe?
08-26-2008, 07:03 AM
I for one have always tried to get the members involved in this site. The organizational structure is loose so that the members can contribute as they want.
As with many forums, there will be a high number who just read and never contribute to any conversations.

For the benefit of the newcomers, I'd like to comment that the subject of the organization of "GeocachingMaine' was beaten to death a couple of years ago after another group of geocachers formed "The Maine Geocaching Association". The majority of our members wanted no dues or formal organization. A group of the "old timers" met and hashed out a plan: an informal "Advisory Committee" to make crucial DECISIONS on website content, geocoin selection, etc. Their opinions would take not priority, but they would decide to end debate on a subject, tally the votes, and supervise the action, etc.

To reiterate what BRDAD has said, we are NOT a formal organization. We are a group of people with like interests. We have an Advisory Committee (Made up of myself, BRDAD, TAT, ATtroll and Sudonim) elected by the members (former Advisory Committee members were Beach Comber and Haffy, who dropped out for personal reasons). We are not "officers" of the organization. Some people have complained "What do you do". The proper answer is "What would you like us to do?".

Again, we have no dues and no financial organization. All costs for the website are born by Rick (ATtroll), with occasional pass-the-hat collections to help him out.

WhereRWe?
08-26-2008, 07:17 AM
In the mean time, I love the idea of sharing our backgrounds through little bios in the Newsletter, or even better: creating a bios thread that would be contributed to monthly (or whenever) and then in the Newsletter I could introduce the latest post with the link to the thread. Would that capture your idea? What does everyone else think?:confused:

Sorry, Medawookie. I don't like this idea. This site is for ALL geocachers. I don't want someone to feel left out because their bio will never be included because they're "not interesting".

I like mentioning milestones because everyone likes having a feeling of accomplishment. But there's no reason to keep mentioning the "big numbers" cachers over and over. Perhaps the Advisory Committee should encourage keeping milestone mentions to a minimum - perhaps at set milestones such as 100, 500, 1000 caches.

As for biographies - who decides who gets a mention in the newsletter/forums? What criteria do we use to decide? We have a LOT of interesting members. Someone would get left out or feelings hurt because they were not profiled.

firefighterjake
08-26-2008, 07:42 AM
. . .

. . .

I mentioned something similar once before and it was resoundingly shot down.

firefighterjake
08-26-2008, 07:43 AM
. . . I have found comments from Bruce, Dick, Jason, brdad and others to be far more helpful.

. . .

Wow . . . I actually helped someone . . . and me . . . with a Magellan! ;):D

On the serious side . . . I am happy to write informative pieces (from my own unique Magellan viewpoint of course), but I need direction . . . I need to know what folks want written . . . what questions do they have.

firefighterjake
08-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Dubord, thanks a lot for clarifying! Isn't it funny how the way you type can be totally different than the way someone reads. . . .

How very true . . . Hiram357 was not at all like I expected. ;):D

Sudonim
08-26-2008, 04:16 PM
I like mentioning milestones because everyone likes having a feeling of accomplishment. But there's no reason to keep mentioning the "big numbers" cachers over and over. Perhaps the Advisory Committee should encourage keeping milestone mentions to a minimum - perhaps at set milestones such as 100, 500, 1000 caches.

It seems to me that the milestone mentions have gone down over the last couple of years. It may be that a number that sounded huge in 2005 has had dozens of cachers pass it and it doesn't seem like a big deal anymore. (Although to the cacher that just achieved that goal, it may be a very big deal, or just another cool cache.)

brdad
08-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Sudonim is correct, and add to that, a few years ago there were only so many other cachers to keep track of. Heck, I used to read every new log for every cache in the state, and it would only take me 5 minutes most days! Now I scan through the email titles of the caches on my watch and notify lists, maybe opening one or two of them and it takes me over 15 minutes.

And yet, it still takes me two hours to watch 60 minutes... :rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
08-26-2008, 04:48 PM

Sheesh! That's because you don't have TIVO! I bet if you had one, you could watch it in an hour! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
08-26-2008, 04:49 PM

Sheesh! That's because you don't have TIVO! I bet if you had one, you could skip all the commercials (which you are probably watching twice now), and get through it in an hour! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
08-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Eeeeek! Why are there two messages? I only posted once... :confused::confused:

brdad
08-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Eeeeek! Why are there two messages? I only posted once... :confused::confused:

Because it takes you two posts to get your point across? Oh wait, that's not right. You usually get your point across in the first sentence!

WhereRWe?
08-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Because it takes you two posts to get your point across? Oh wait, that's not right. You usually get your point across in the first sentence!

>>>>>>:o:o:o:o<<<<<<

Medawisla
08-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Sorry, Medawookie. I don't like this idea. This site is for ALL geocachers. I don't want someone to feel left out because their bio will never be included because they're "not interesting".

As for biographies - who decides who gets a mention in the newsletter/forums? What criteria do we use to decide? We have a LOT of interesting members. Someone would get left out or feelings hurt because they were not profiled.

Bios: WhereRWe? has a good point regarding jealous cachers:mad:. If we were to include bios into the Newsletter, I would advocate for my suggestion above:): To create a separate forum thread called Biographies, or to use the Articles forum, and have cachers develop their own biographies (ok so that would be an autobiography!:p). In rare cases, for cachers who don't like to write, but who have a background they want to share, as the Newsletter editor I'd be willing to interview them by phone or email to write up a biography:cool:. Then these threads would be highlighted in the Newsletter like Hot Topics are. I would include all bios posted, I would never deter folks from posting bios, and I would welcome anyone to contact me about writing a bio for them or even just reviewing a bio before they post it if that's what they'd like:). This way, they are in control of who gets mentioned, not me or the Board:rolleyes:.

Milestones: When someone mentioned a milestone in a thread, I used to include it in the Newsletter. Then it appeared that we were choosing whose milestones to include in the Newsletter and excluding cachers:(; despite my arguement that we could just post how it was, we decided the simplest solution was to take out the Milestone section all together, because I nor the Board were interested in tracking ALL milestones:p. Which in the end was great with me because it made more room for other sections of the newsletter:D. The bios should not end up like the Milestones:), because people will write them about themselves (or seek me out to write them), instead of cachers posting about others' milestones, which is how that thread mostly works:p.

Kapeesh? Other thoughts?:confused:

WhereRWe?
08-26-2008, 06:40 PM
If we were to include bios into the Newsletter, I would advocate for my suggestion above:): To create a separate forum thread called Biographies, or to use the Articles forum, and have cachers develop their own biographies (ok so that would be an autobiography!:p).

Great idea!

In rare cases, for cachers who don't like to write, but who have a background they want to share, as the Newsletter editor I'd be willing to interview them by phone or email to write up a biography.

Not so great idea! ;);)

If someone isn't willing to write their own bio - again, this is a personal thing and not a Newsletter function - then they don't get one. Besides, they have the opportunity to post their bio on their GCM.org as well as their GC.com page. If that isn't enough... :p:p

Kaching Karen
08-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Not so great idea! ;);)

If someone isn't willing to write their own bio - again, this is a personal thing and not a Newsletter function - then they don't get one. Besides, they have the opportunity to post their bio on their GCM.org as well as their GC.com page. If that isn't enough... :p:p

I think it's a good idea to interview people. We have a lot of very interesting people out there that are not the type to toot their own horn. An interview would be a great way to include them in the newspaper.

brdad
08-26-2008, 08:01 PM
This is an opportunity for someone who would be willing to write bios to find interested parties to interview, and then create an article from that. And then it might get mentioned in the newsletter.

Mainiac1957
08-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Kacky and KG are still doing their podcast twice a month. They do interviews quite often with the local cachers. :cool:

Medawisla
08-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Kacky and KG are still doing their podcast twice a month. They do interviews quite often with the local cachers. :cool:

I should try to listen to these more often, but I fail to do so:o:(...do they have a "table of contents" for their shows so that you can pick and choose what segments to listen to?:confused:

dubord207
08-27-2008, 07:00 AM
First of all, I have found this discussion informative. I have concluded that "bios" probably won't work and that the best course for those who enjoy "creative writing" is to simply do an interesting article from time to time.

As far as milestones, this is one subject that can be rather important to some, particularily newer cachers. Recognition is what makes the world go around. Any well run organization has a recognition program. The concept is very simple: Reward breeds satisfaction and continued participation. I don't think we can quantify what number warrants a milestone post. It could be 10 caches for some and 5000 for another, but if it's posted I think the veteran cachers and those who post of this site daily ought to take 10 seconds or so to acknowledge it. You'll not only feel good doing so, but you'll make somebody else, even somebody you don't know, feel the pride of accomplishment as well. There's no down side to this whatsoever, and a lot of potential to keep folks playing. On the other side of the coin, some folks might consider a lack of response to a milestone as a "slight" from the membership.

So in this light, my thanks to those of you that keep this interesting site running and for those of you who take the time to comment and keep it interesting.

dubord207
08-27-2008, 07:02 AM
First of all, I have found this discussion informative. I have concluded that "bios" probably won't work and that the best course for those who enjoy "creative writing" is to simply do an interesting article from time to time.

As far as milestones, this is one subject that can be rather important to some, particularily newer cachers. Recognition is what makes the world go around. Any well run organization has a recognition program. The concept is very simple: Reward breeds satisfaction and continued participation. I don't think we can quantify what number warrants a milestone post. It could be 10 caches for some and 5000 for another, but if it's posted I think the veteran cachers and those who post of this site daily ought to take 10 seconds or so to acknowledge it. You'll not only feel good doing so, but you'll make somebody else, even somebody you don't know, feel the pride of accomplishment as well. There's no down side to this whatsoever, and a lot of potential to keep folks playing. On the other side of the coin, some folks might consider a lack of response to a milestone as a "slight" from the membership.

So in this light, my thanks to those of you that keep this interesting site running and for those of you who take the time to comment and keep it interesting.

Kaching Karen
08-27-2008, 07:20 AM
My event that I run in January to to celebrate the past year in geocaching. A couple of us have thrown around the idea of posting and mentioning milestones. I am just always afraid to leave someone out.
The other thing I have seen done in other areas is awards for creative caches, funny caches, best series, etc.
Now, that said, I am a Phys. Ed. teacher and I know that competition can get out of hand. I also know that recognition is a wonderful thing...
It's a tough call. I don't cache for the numbers. I have been a member since 2003 and I only have 800 caches. I cache for friendship, exercise, discovery, and yes, even to brighten a boring day. I like to make little adventures out of my excursions.
Also, I do not like crowds. I can handle them, but I'd rather be outside or in a large room. I also do a lot of other activities besides geocaching, therefore, often there are conflicts.
Let's face it... we all have our own reasons to cache, and no matter what the reason, it just seems the people involved are some of the nicest people in the world. I guess that's what makes any event fun.

WhereRWe?
08-27-2008, 08:15 AM
I note that Dubord's comment was posted twice. This happened to me yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I didn't hit "submit" twice. Is there a bug in the system somewhere? :confused::confused:

Sabby
08-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Probably a double "cricket" :)

dubord207
08-27-2008, 12:32 PM
My fault, I had spelled the heading wrong, tried to edit, could not so I though I had deleted the whole thing and replaced it with a new version. Still not sure how to delete the whole thing?:confused:

I note that Dubord's comment was posted twice. This happened to me yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I didn't hit "submit" twice. Is there a bug in the system somewhere? :confused::confused:

brdad
08-27-2008, 03:25 PM
dubord207, are you willing to take on the task to check everyone's numbers weekly to recognize the milestones? Are you willing to check with all those passing milestones and ask if they want to be recognized?

Do you or anyone else know what Mainers passed 100 caches this week? 500? 1000? I'm fine with recognition if that's what you want, but once again, I am not sure how you expect the task to be completed in a fair manner.

Show me how we can recognize all Mainers passing milestones wanting to be recognized without leaving anyone out and I'll do what I can to help.

Haffy
08-27-2008, 04:43 PM
I passed 1000 finally a few weeks ago and wasn't mentioned in here, or I missed it. :( A local cacher and friend from down here ,Dr Who, did mention that he was looking for some congrats from all my friends back home to put into a special gold ammo box that I was presented at an event in my honor a few weeks ago. I wanted to thank everyone too if you did congratulate me. I just haven't been caching much of late with work and all and of course the heat. Will be caching and getting out more when the weather cools off though so watch out!!!!

Medawisla
08-27-2008, 04:51 PM
My event that I run in January to to celebrate the past year in geocaching. A couple of us have thrown around the idea of posting and mentioning milestones. I am just always afraid to leave someone out.

The last event, I remember a big milestone mural that we used, everyone was responsible for putting up their own milestones, and milestone was defined very loosely, we had all kinds of things up there, not just numbers! I think we should do that again next January, if you host another event...:D

dubord207
08-27-2008, 04:57 PM
I have not suggested that any one of us be responsible for actually keeping track of milestones. My entire point is that if somebody posts a milestone for another cacher, or even for themself for that matter, that the members that read this stuff offer a quick congrats. As I indicated in a prior post, what is a milestone to one person may just be an average day of caching for some. The point it, if somebody posts it why not acknowledge the post? Positive response vs. no response. There are plenty of folks on this site who post to every topic EXCEPT milestones. I see no downside in congratulating fellow cachers for a job well done and to me it makes no difference whether I personally know the cacher.

So my question to brdad, if I go out and log 100 caches tomorrow and somebody posts this as a milestone (and I won't post stuff I do), would you offer a "well done Dan?" And if a new cacher receives a milestone post for a FTF cache,wouldn't a quick congrats be appreciated by the new cacher?

That should make my point about all this clear, hopefully. Thanks for the thought you folks have put in to this. I'll move on to a different topic.:)

Medawisla
08-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Dubord and all, here's what I've already explained:

Milestones: When someone mentioned a milestone in a thread, I used to include it in the Newsletter. Then it appeared that we were choosing whose milestones to include in the Newsletter and excluding cachers:(; despite my arguement that we could just post how it was, we decided the simplest solution was to take out the Milestone section all together, because I nor the Board were interested in tracking ALL milestones:p. Which in the end was great with me because it made more room for other sections of the newsletter:D.

The only way to not appear that we are excluding cachers or ignoring their milestones is to track everyone's numbers, or other milestones, to make sure everyone's is mentioned. So forget it! If we can't be adult enough to not hold grudges against people for not noticing milestones and then hold grudges against me for not having it in the newsletter, I'm not going to try. Find a solution to that and I'll re-consider.:(

In the meantime, the milestones forum thread still exists, so use it if you like to!:D:p

brdad
08-27-2008, 05:31 PM
So my question to brdad, if I go out and log 100 caches tomorrow and somebody posts this as a milestone (and I won't post stuff I do), would you offer a "well done Dan?" And if a new cacher receives a milestone post for a FTF cache,wouldn't a quick congrats be appreciated by the new cacher?

That should make my point about all this clear, hopefully. Thanks for the thought you folks have put in to this. I'll move on to a different topic.:)

Ah, sorry. I misinterpreted what I read. Your point is valid. But as someone who rarely reads or posts to the milestone threads, I am not sure what my answer is. But I know if I could only recognize one I'd rather recognize someone for posting an interesting article or helpful tutorial than I would for milestones.

vicbiker
08-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Wow! I go out kayaking this afternoon, come home turn on the computer, and there are twenty some new post since the last time I checked the site. Said to myself something must be going on, and was it ever. Nice thing about this discussion to me at least was the tone of our members. Everyone who commented, did so in a manner of trying to understand, rather then criticize. This to me is what a group like ours is suppose to be, helpful not critical.

I think I had just done my 30th cache when I first join this group. Every afternoon after work I would look forward to reading the days posts. After maybe a week of just lurking in the shadows, I finally commented on a thread. I remember the first couple of people who made me feel welcome were Haffy and WhereRWe. I remember how much help they were to a newbie. I continue to see that same type of help offered to anyone who ask. I read all of the post on this site, starting with the most interesting to me, and then the rest . If there is some question I feel qualified to answer, and it hasn't been answered already by the more knowledgable of our group, Ill contribute my two sense worth.

The greatest thing about this site to me is the freedom it allows it's members to be who they want to be. Join in, don't join in, lurk in the shadows, pick on Hiram, or once in a while use it to do something good for the world. As was the case with The Relay for Life event posted here by EMS Daniel.

Some of my closest friends today I met on this site, they have shared some wonderful moments with me in the past couple of years. We became friends by reading posts and articles that each had posted here, giving an insight into each others charactor. I continually pick on Hiram and FFJ, but they are in reality two of the nicest young people I've ever met. I would have never have gotten to know them the way I do without this site.

Mainiac1957
08-27-2008, 07:38 PM
I continually pick on Hiram and FFJ, but they are in reality two of the nicest young people I've ever met. I would have never have gotten to know them the way I do without this site.

Vic, Vic, Vic How many times do I have to remind you. That rumor we don't spread.;):p:rolleyes::cool::eek:

Team2hunt
08-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Now, that said, I am a Phys. Ed. teacher

And I have worked for Home Depot for 11 years.

We are all not Doctors, Lawyers, Policemen, and FBI agents. While I might find what KK does interesting, (espicially the M&M story) many may not. No Home Depot guy ever captured the attention of a crowd.

Bios are not always interesting. :confused:

WhereRWe?
08-28-2008, 07:56 AM
if I go out and log 100 caches tomorrow and somebody posts this as a milestone (and I won't post stuff I do), would you offer a "well done Dan?"

No. I don't consider this a milestone. Let those that do offer the "well done, Dan". It's like someone winning the pie eating contest. Most people don't care what people do to extremes. For those that do, that's great for them.

Now if you found 100 caches in a day and none of them were lamp post/guard rail micros, that would be a milestone worth discussing. LOL!

And if a new cacher receives a milestone post for a FTF cache,wouldn't a quick congrats be appreciated by the new cacher?

Perhaps, but for those of us who have been caching for a while, a FTF is no longer an accomplishment. Since there are dozens of new cachces popping up every day, getting a FTF is very easy to do.

You make a good point, Dan, but not everyone would agree with you. I suppose it's a difference in perception between people new to geocaching and "old timers" for who geocaching milestones don't have the same significance as they did a few years ago.

:D:D

Medawisla
08-28-2008, 09:10 AM

We are all not Doctors, Lawyers, Policemen, and FBI agents. While I might find what KK does interesting, (espicially the M&M story) many may not. No Home Depot guy ever captured the attention of a crowd.

If you like something in your life or think something in your life is interesting, guarenteed there's at least one other person who thinks so too. Your profession may not interest a lot of people, but I hope it interests you, and so it's nice to share, but more importantly there are other aspects to a bio than what you do for work. In your case, you have a great story about weight loss, bonding with your son over geocaching, meeting Nikki, etc etc which are interesting stories that can touch others!:cool:

And Karen is also a kayaking guide and in my opinion an avid biker, these traits are not only interesting to many they may be helpful if someone has questions. So see, there are other interesting things about you other than jobs.:D

vicbiker
08-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Stef works for the environment and is pictured eating a baby loon. Hows that for a bio?

Sudonim
08-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Stef works for the environment and is pictured eating a baby loon. Hows that for a bio?

That's FUNNY:p

Opalsns
08-28-2008, 01:54 PM

She's not eating the loon, she's just tasting it !!!!:D

Sabby
08-28-2008, 03:02 PM
What does loon taste like ???

Chicken?

Mainiac1957
08-28-2008, 03:12 PM
What does loon taste like ???

Chicken?

I've been told more like spotted owl.:rolleyes:

brdad
08-28-2008, 03:30 PM
What life do you save when an endangered animal is eating an endangered plant? :o

Opalsns
08-28-2008, 03:37 PM
If the animal is endangered ,
the plant is probabally already gone,
so......

I'd save Steph by giving Hiram a beer

Sabby
08-28-2008, 03:40 PM
and now back to the newsletter thread !

Opalsns
08-28-2008, 04:31 PM
and now back to the newsletter thread !

NO!

:D

Hiram357
08-28-2008, 06:27 PM
What life do you save when an endangered animal is eating an endangered plant? :o

I'm endangered and no one is trying to save me! or eat me! I'm the only one left of me!!!! (but I do think stef is trying to kill me.....) :D

vicbiker
08-28-2008, 06:29 PM
What life do you save when an endangered animal is eating an endangered plant? :oDave I've been accused of having a slightly warped out look on life, but I'll never hold a candle to that sense of humor you have. Keep up the great observations.

Medawisla
08-28-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm endangered and no one is trying to save me! or eat me! I'm the only one left of me!!!! (but I do think stef is trying to kill me.....) :D

muhahaha and I have the only hiram in the world!!!! :D:D:D
kinda like tigger, he's the only one!:D

I hope yeast never becomes an endangered species!!:p

Medawisla
08-28-2008, 07:18 PM

So, yeah, I'm an environmentalist they say, but really I'm all about balance and prosperity for more than one generation of people. I'll save the rest for the much needed bio thread, now that we've introduced T2H, KK, Hiram and myself! haha.

On your question though: you save both by addressing climate change! or/and addressing the consumption&population rates that have led us to consuming all habitat for animals and plants alike!:( so there! :p:D

ltlindian
08-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Silly me, I thought you were kissing a ferret! :D

firefighterjake
08-28-2008, 08:27 PM
. . .. There are plenty of folks on this site who post to every topic EXCEPT milestones. . . .

Yeah, that would be me. The two topics I rarely if ever post to are birthdays and milestones . . . and it's the two topics that I don't mind folks not noticing when either one occurs to me.

I have nothing against birthdays . . . it's just boring for me to read a bazillion pages with everyone saying the same thing (i.e. Happy Birthday) . . . ditto with the Milestones (plus for me it always seems like paying that much attention to milestones puts too much focus on numbers.) That said . . . this is just me and I have no issues with folks posting to birthday and milestone threads . . . just don't expect me to post to them.

firefighterjake
08-28-2008, 08:32 PM
. . . pick on Hiram. . . I continually pick on Hiram and FFJ, but they are in reality two of the nicest young people I've ever met. I would have never have gotten to know them the way I do without this site.

A) Hiram likes being picked on . . . it brings back those memories from high school when he was in the Audio Visual Club ;):D

B) Who's young? I'm nearly 40 (well give or take a few years).

C) Right back at ya Vic . . . after your birthday party I was telling Aaron and Steph that it seemed like you were truly a good soul -- a person who has been through a lot in life and is a better man because of it . . . a person who I can truly respect

firefighterjake
08-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Vic, Vic, Vic How many times do I have to remind you. That rumor we don't spread.;):p:rolleyes::cool::eek:

HehHeh . . . Aaron and I have sure got Vic fooled, huh? I think Vic needs to come along to the Tread Lightly event to see another side of FFJake and Hiram. ;):D

firefighterjake
08-28-2008, 08:40 PM

I would respectfully disagree . . . as a former stringer for a newspaper the one thing I always said is that everybody has a story to tell . . . some folks however just don't know they have a story.

Besides . . . I love Home Depot . . . it's like a Big Boy Toy Store.

firefighterjake
08-28-2008, 08:41 PM

This one made me laugh out loud . . . thanks for the laugh Vic. :D:D:D

hollora
08-28-2008, 09:45 PM
I love Home Depot . . . it's like a Big Boy Toy Store.

Years ago, some of you know ~ some do not, I used to ride motorcycles with the Blue Knights. There used to be an infamous cycle shop called "Toys For Big Boys".

Well before Home Depot........but for sure.......The HD has lived up to that reputation when it comes to those who care about their home, remodeling, renovating and the like. There are surely some great toys in there for Big Boys and Big Girls alike!;)

d’76
08-28-2008, 10:13 PM
(but I do think stef is trying to kill me.....) :D

Are you saying Steph is trying to cook again. Good things your guys live next door to a firefighter and the fire station:D:o:p

firefighterjake
08-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Years ago, some of you know ~ some do not, I used to ride motorcycles with the Blue Knights. There used to be an infamous cycle shop called "Toys For Big Boys".

Well before Home Depot........but for sure.......The HD has lived up to that reputation when it comes to those who care about their home, remodeling, renovating and the like. There are surely some great toys in there for Big Boys and Big Girls alike!;)

Come clean Hollora . . . we know it was the Hell's Angels and not the Blue Knights! ;):D

And yes . . . I am a frequent visitor to Home Depot and I often find myself drooling over tools . . . even though I wouldn't know how to use half of them. ;):D

Team2hunt
08-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Are you saying Steph is trying to cook again. Good things your guys live next door to a firefighter and the fire station:D:o:p

Hmmmm......looks like to me that she will eat it raw and still alive. :rolleyes:

Hiram ......just cover everything with Dave's Insanity sauce. :eek:

firefighterjake
08-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Hmmmm......looks like to me that she will eat it raw and still alive. :rolleyes:

Hiram ......just cover everything with Dave's Insanity sauce. :eek:

I'm impressed . . . how do you know about Dave's Insanity Sauce?

I had one experience with DIS and I don't care to repeat that . . . made the mistake early on in my career of answering the phone during lunch and leaving my steak sandwich unguarded. One firefighter put a few drops of DIS into my sandwich . . . Holy Cow . . . I have never experienced such a thing . . . water didn't help . . . soda didn't help. About the only thing that helped was milk.

WhereRWe?
08-29-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm impressed . . . how do you know about Dave's Insanity Sauce?

If you want a sauce with much more flavor, try Marie Sharp's Fiery Hot Habanero Sauce (http://www.mohotta.com/product/578/1). Lots of heat with GREAT flavor. :eek::eek:

hide_from_the_kids
08-29-2008, 09:17 AM
:cool:Ok, Now I Want Hot Wings!!!:D:D

WhereRWe?
08-29-2008, 04:39 PM
:cool:Ok, Now I Want Hot Wings!!!:D:D

Well, you don't want hot wings with either Dave's Insanity or Marie Sharp's! LOL!

These are KILLER even for people who are USED to VERY hot foods. :D:D

d’76
08-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Since we are way off topic anyway I cant resist any longer..........

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder.
1. The DNA all matches.
2. There are no dental records.

fins2right
09-01-2008, 02:44 PM
How good is baby loon with DIS? Does it help the feathers go down? :) As for Firefighterjake...I have never found a firefighter that has left a crumb behind. Are you sure your not an explorer? Maybe at the time? Or just new to the job?

firefighterjake
09-02-2008, 08:12 AM
How good is baby loon with DIS? Does it help the feathers go down? :) As for Firefighterjake...I have never found a firefighter that has left a crumb behind. Are you sure your not an explorer? Maybe at the time? Or just new to the job?

I was new to the job . . . and left my meal behind when I went to answer the phone. I don't make that mistake any more. ;):D Speaking of which -- I just realized that I left my lunch at home today . . . guess I'll be eating with the crew or eating out at Angelos.