View Full Version : Why Do You Attend? ~ or ~ Why Do You Not Attend?

hollora
08-18-2008, 07:47 PM
While attending the Cachin' and Scrapin' Event sponsored by one of our own in Southern Maine this past weekend - the Question posted on the Tread Title was asked.

We wondered why no more that a few - both from in-state and out of state attended?:confused: Was it the location? Was it the timing? Was it when this was posted folks were already booked? Was it the event itself and what it had to offer?

So I propose the following questions:

1. What makes you consider attending an event? The date, the theme, those who post they are going, the location? Whatever the reason - please share it!

2. If you decide to NOT come to an event - why?:confused: Again, sort of the same questions - the date, the theme, those who post they are going, the location ~ but I will add ~ the expense, the equipment needed to fully participate or please describe anything else.

3. If the date of an event is a problem - what would you propose as ideal dates or frequency of events.

4. If time is important - what is your imput to that. Perhaps you would share that there are Geocaching weekends (including events) and family weekends.

5. Location - site - type - I won't go on and on here - just post the whys, whens, wheres, and timing of what you would like for events.

6. How do you feel about short Meet N Greet Events? Do you like these better than all day, half day or longer events? Mid-week better? Coffee-break style?

There are loads of folks who read these forums and none have ever come to an event - why?:confused: What can those who sponsor events do to better plan them, execute them and post them? Without your input - we all put in a lot of effort for a few to attend.

Please use this tread to share with us ~ your ideal Maine event!:) Timing of when it is held, time of day, length of event, activities offered, and anything else that can help event sponsors better plan a great time for those who Geocache in Maine.

Thanks in advance to all who are willing to share their ideas and input. It think it will help a lot of us for future planning.:)

Medawisla
08-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Hiram can add here (but most likely he'll see words and stuff and won't bother:p), but this past weekend we had a family camping trip planned, plus we reserved camp sites before the event was posted (at a different campground). The biggest reason we don't come to all events is that we have some other engagement going on.

We haven't attended mega events because of cost.:( We had a vacation in Colorado (though we did cache there:D) and we're still contemplating going to Ohio (sorry to blow your cover Hiram:rolleyes:) to see family we haven't seen in over 2 years.:eek:

Maybe it's not the true or right thought, but: events, mega and non, happen every month/year, but time with family is more rare for us.:cool:

We like good food, so that is always a draw:D. Mostly we like seeing friends and meeting people with similar interests, so we've made it a point to attend annual events:cool:. We don't own watercraft yet, so an event requiring such requires that friends drag us along and shove a watercraft into our hands so-to-speak:rolleyes:. We have a lot of options for our weekends, so we end up doing other things that take less time/energy than borrowing watercraft for an event:o. But these types of events may be in our future.:cool:

Finally, we go for quality not quantity (ok maybe Hiram's a little about the numbers:p) but we really enjoy good conversations and laughter:D; we really don't enjoy chaotic crowds:mad:. We had a great time at the Slipping into Summer event:D, even though it was a lot lower in attendence than years past. We're more likely to call up a few geocachers and make a day of adventure than work out an event:o, but Hiram does help the ORCAs put on the annual Tread Lightly event!:D

brdad
08-18-2008, 08:51 PM
With the scrapping event, it was timing for us. We had to make a trip to NH, and thought we might make it on the way down or the way back. But we left on Friday and had to stay there until Monday morning, so it just didn't work. We didn't even look for an actual cache the entire trip either.

Personally We like all events but are less enthused with those of short duration. What's the fun of meeting for an event if it's only an hour? Might as well just meet up at a restaurant and have dinner without it being an official event. We like to have time to share stories and ideas.

Another thing that I think brings the people count down is the frequency of events. People are more inclined to skip one if they went to one last week or think they can go to the one next week. The first few events we had in this state brought a good sized number of cachers to them considering how few there were. Now the number of cachers has quintupled, but the numbers attending an individual event have dropped by half or more.

Team Richards
08-18-2008, 09:02 PM
We enjoy events, we really like to meet everyone and put faces to the names we see in the logs.
This has been a very busy summer for us and we have had little time to cache and have gone to events when we could.

We were disappointed to have to miss the Slipping into Summer event this year that was the first event we ever attended and look forward to it. Unfortunately for us it came on the weekend of our oldest sons birthday and although we tried we couldn't fit everything into the day.

This last weekend I had plans to go on a geocaching hike and again just couldn't do both..

We have never gone to an event where we didn't have a good time. we believe that you get out what you put in and although sometimes the boys get tired and have had enough (ok me to) they alway talk about the events and things that are special memories to them.

There have been a lot of events this summer and more to come. We have missed one we wanted to go to due to our car breaking down another because of work and just the busyness of our lives.

We were very fortunate to go to Quebec to the Mega event and had a great time. That was the furthest we have traveled to go to an event and we got to meet some folks that we had spoken to through emails. others who we had traded coins with it was a good time but no more fun than we had at the Pirate event, the Snow shoe event, the WWWWW event or the coffee break events, to name but a few.

In the end we would love to go to every event but sometimes you get to do what you want and other times you have to do what you have to do.

Thanks to everyone who has had an event short of long , we like them all.

FuddsGirls
08-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Location is big for us. On a careful budget we haven't even been geocaching much with gas prices this summer. If we are going to an event, we do tend to prefer events that are more than just a coffee break but if the event is very long, its hit or miss on who you will see. The social part is a good reason to go.
This past weekend was our Anniversary and we ended up repainting the livingroom and putting down pergo. That was timing because it was a gift and the first time in 14yrs that we painted. Unfortunately someting is always going on and plans constatnly change with kids and a rotating shift at work. If it was up to me and cost wasn't an issue, I would go to almost all the events.

Mapachi
08-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Family concerns for Shotgun and me. We can't go far for more then an hour or two. Meet-and-Greets are all we have attended. We have planned on the Eustis event for quite a while now and we have someone to take care of the family problems that week-end. If not for that problem we would be at many more events.

Gob-ler
08-18-2008, 09:42 PM
1. What makes you consider attending an event? - - - Distance is somewhat of a part of my consideration, but more importantly the calendar. Weekends are a bit difficult for me, Sundays especially.

2. If you decide to NOT come to an event - why? - - - Again, it is mostly related to the calendar. I missed two events the last two weekends and that was due to previous commitments that while caching related, were very important to me and so the decision was not a difficult one to make.

3. If the date of an event is a problem - what would you propose as ideal dates or frequency of events. - - - The calendar is always a big problem, but a few observations. Summer Time events are difficult at best. Many have made plans well in advance and when an event is published choices are made. We only have about two months of Summer here (July and August) so the weekends especially fill up quickly with outings, family etc. Also anything close to a holiday weekend seems to be difficult as well. I have no suggestions on best dates, but School Vacations are usually a no no as well.

4. If time is important - what is your imput to that. Perhaps you would share that there are Geocaching weekends (including events) and family weekends. - - - I think it would be difficult at best to try and designate weekends as such for the Geocaching Masses. Too many different things come to play here.

5. Location - site - type - I won't go on and on here - just post the whys, whens, wheres, and timing of what you would like for events. - - - I like a bit of organization at events. It seems that without organization of some sort folks get there and then just hang for a little bit and then go. Also you do see folks that just show up, check in and then move on. I don't have any suggestions other than being organized and letting folks know in advance what they might expect when they arrive. I think this is important especially for new folks.

6. How do you feel about short Meet N Greet Events? Do you like these better than all day, half day or longer events? Mid-week better? Coffee-break style? - - - I like all of the meet and greets, coffee get togethers, etc. They are different and while held usually during the week they attract some very large numbers of people especially when moved around different areas of the state. The format is usually quite loose, but that is what is expected I guess.

I do think that a little better job could be done promoting the events. The listings are usually OK, but there are often gaps between what is written and what happens. Not that this is a problem, but more detail I think would be better.

The event this weekend past was I guess kind of a "specialized" event. Caching yes, but the scrap booking thing was just something that would not hold my interest. Visiting with folks is always fun though and if I was not committed elsewhere I would have been there.

I think there is also some perceived difficulty as it relates to new folks breaking into the group. I think we all think we are open and go the extra mile to welcome new folks but sometimes that is not what new folks feel. I remember how it felt the first few times I attended events after moving back here to Maine. It was not always a warm and fuzzy welcoming feeling. It was kind of like being the odd man out sort of thing. You were there and not knowing anyone was a bit awkward. A lot has changed since then, but I can still see how new folks might be a bit apprehensive attending. I do not have any substantial suggestions to address this one, but I think it is something to think a bit about. - - - One thing that might be considered is to have a greeter of sorts to kind of look out for new folk and when they are found make sure they are welcomed and introduced to folk either formally or informally.

Well, I have rambled quite enough. Please do not take any of my comments personally. They were not intended as such. Just some thoughts that have been rattling around in my head even before Hollora posted the questions.

hollora
08-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Thank you everyone for your posts and "answers". This may help everyone think through posting events if they have questions. Without some candor and honesty in why you did not - or did attend we can not adjust the offering of events.

This post is not a head hunting expedition but rather an exploratory post to see what we could do better or should not do.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Keep those posts coming. And folks with kids - what could we do for you to make events better?

Katadin Goddess
08-18-2008, 10:01 PM
there are just some things i would not post in public

ltlindian
08-18-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm kinda new so I haven't had a chance to attend any events yet. What I would consider attending at this point is a short meet and greet. Like Gob-ler said, I would feel really weird showing up at a longer, all day event not knowing anyone. Could make for a very uncomfortable afternoon.

For me, family things would be great as most of the time my kids come with me when I go geocaching.

Distance does matter as has been previously posted. If there were something right in Boothbay, I would try to make it there for sure. But to drive a long period of time to visit with people I don't know yet, I just wouldn't do right now. I'm sure everyone is wonderful, but it's hard when you just meet people.

I will try to get to an event sometime. Hopefully this fall or winter when things are less busy.

hollora
08-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks everyone for your candid responses. :) That is exactly what I wanted. Keep them coming and thanks for being part of this community.

dí76
08-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Sometimes we are just to busy.

As I have been working as many as 3 jobs in a day, come the weekend I just want to rest and not do much of anything.

brdad
08-19-2008, 01:31 AM
I'm kinda new so I haven't had a chance to attend any events yet. What I would consider attending at this point is a short meet and greet. Like Gob-ler said, I would feel really weird showing up at a longer, all day event not knowing anyone. Could make for a very uncomfortable afternoon.

I would think being uncomfortable at an all day caching event would be rare. In 2003 I attended the second event Maine had, didn't know a single person there, except for conversing with a few of those in the national chat including my future wife. Many of the people there had not met any other cachers before either. Yet we were all greeted by the same friendliness that exists in all the events I have attended regardless of duration.

Lee and I attended an event in NH spur of the moment on our way home last year and was accepted with open arms there as well. We had heard a few of their names, and a few of them had heard ours, but none of us had ever met. We could not stay long and it was raining, but we had a great time just the same.

One thing you have to remember with events is you do not have to attend an all day or weekend event for the entire time, unless there were some requirement saying so on the event description. I have seen people drop by for half an hour just to say hi, share a story or two and say sorry they couldn't stay longer. Don't be afraid to drop into an event after it's scheduled start, either. If you go to an event and feel uncomfortable you can always leave. Don't let that stop you from attending!

Mainiac1957
08-19-2008, 06:33 AM
One thing you have to remember with events is you do not have to attend an all day or weekend event for the entire time, unless there were some requirement saying so on the event description. I have seen people drop by for half an hour just to say hi, share a story or two and say sorry they couldn't stay longer. Don't be afraid to drop into an event after it's scheduled start, either. If you go to an event and feel uncomfortable you can always leave. Don't let that stop you from attending!

That is such a valid point Dave. Thank you for adding that. I myself will go to an event and stay for the whole thing. That's just me. If you come and just poke your head in you might just be surprised who you might meet, and end up hanging out for awhile. There is always someone around to answer a question or offer a technique on caching or whatever. Come to one and you'll be amazed at the diversity of people there.

Now for a shameless plug... My after Labor Day event The Last Cache Bashe of Summer 2008 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f4f5f144-e53a-4d38-b229-0a0dd3f58bcd) (GC1DK74) by mainiac1957 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=139598) (1/1) is coming up in 3 weeks. This is my fifth year doing this event and I never get tired of meeting new cachers. Once again you get a twofer weekend since Hollora is having her event later in the day Apres The Last Cache Bashe of Summer Event 2008 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6ad2debd-5168-4e89-8b64-c94ed7a2de80) (GC1DP5Y) by hollora (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=506328) (1/1.5) This way the gas isn't just for one event. There are tons of new caches in the Bangor area. Many new places to see and explore. If you've not been to a Cache Bashe then it's time you checked it out. I hope to have a good turnout again this year. And now back to your regularly scheduled thread.:rolleyes:

Team U.S.Eh?
08-19-2008, 07:11 AM
Speaking for myself, someone who usually just lurks and reads posts, the events look a little intimidating. You all seem to have a good rapport on here and know one another and the idea of walking into say the meet and greet that was 2 seconds down the road form me at BK a while back is a little unnerving:o. Also, probably my own fault for not asking, but I have no idea really about what goes on at the events.
As someone else mentioned, time is also an issue, during the school year I work 12 hour days and all other time is deemed precious, the other half of Team U.S.Eh? works strange hours, so time we can get together is usually spent chillin or doing things that have to get done. It would be hard to commit a whole or half day to anything!
Doreen

firefighterjake
08-19-2008, 07:46 AM
I don't do events. :) ;)

. . . with the exception of the ORCA's Tread Lightly events . . . and that's just because Hiram promises not to make too much fun of me and my Magellan. ;):D

Well, this isn't quite true . . . I did do a two-fer -- Flash Mob and Brad's B-Day Party Wing Ding Doodle Events in Bangor . . . but that was a "gift" for Maniac. :D

WhereRWe?
08-19-2008, 10:43 AM
We've been to many events in Maine, several in New Hampshire, and mega-events in North Carolina and Quebec. We've never been disappointed. We've always been made welcome and have a great time.

We travel a lot and always do a PQ of upcoming events in the area we're heading to. Event hosts are usually very happy to have visitors 'from away" attend. :D:D

Cache Maine
08-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Speaking for myself, someone who usually just lurks and reads posts, the events look a little intimidating. You all seem to have a good rapport on here and know one another and the idea of walking into say the meet and greet that was 2 seconds down the road form me at BK a while back is a little unnerving:o. Also, probably my own fault for not asking, but I have no idea really about what goes on at the events.
As someone else mentioned, time is also an issue, during the school year I work 12 hour days and all other time is deemed precious, the other half of Team U.S.Eh? works strange hours, so time we can get together is usually spent chillin or doing things that have to get done. It would be hard to commit a whole or half day to anything!
Doreen

How about we plan a pathtag event...wouldn't that be a blast? I bet you would come if you didn't have something else on the calendar! We could pick a spot in the middle....get together and drool over each others tags! (Speaking of which, I LOVE your tag!) Cachers who don't have tags (yet) can come see what all the fuss is about.

Off topic...he he he...but creatively off topic, so that is okay right?

Team Richards
08-19-2008, 07:31 PM
How about we plan a pathtag event...wouldn't that be a blast? I bet you would come if you didn't have something else on the calendar! We could pick a spot in the middle....get together and drool over each others tags! (Speaking of which, I LOVE your tag!) Cachers who don't have tags (yet) can come see what all the fuss is about.

Off topic...he he he...but creatively off topic, so that is okay right?

I like that tag too
Now we just have to figure out out a spot in the middle...in the middle of what? This is why we go to events meet people look at coins and tags and eat.

hollora
08-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Yes, the Team's pathtag is very cool. And a pathtag event would be fun - I already have an feeling there may be someone interested in doing one in Maine (other than the operatives who have posted here). Maybe they will - maybe they won't but it would be cool for us all to enjoy.

Team2hunt
08-19-2008, 09:24 PM
is not really the question for me. I would love to attend all of the Maine events. But it's now Summer and some of us have to plan our time, weeks or months in advance. This year I have been very busy and when I have already made plans it's hard to cancel and make an event. Then there's the " there are waaaaaayy too many events " now going on around New England. I have many friends in Maine, NH and Vermont. And it seems like there is an event every weekend somewhere. I sometimes have to choose between events, depending on where I am going to be.

The annual events are planned but the rest are hit or miss. I have planned to make the Eustis event, due to the place, and time of year. Plus we will be camping and that is an important factor for me when choosing an event to attend. Helium would be another good reason to attend. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all of you who have put on events.

hollora
08-19-2008, 10:32 PM
is not really the question for me. I would love to attend all of the Maine events. But it's now Summer and some of us have to plan our time, weeks or months in advance. This year I have been very busy and when I have already made plans it's hard to cancel and make an event. Then there's the " there are waaaaaayy too many events " now going on around New England. I have many friends in Maine, NH and Vermont. And it seems like there is an event every weekend somewhere. I sometimes have to choose between events, depending on where I am going to be.

The annual events are planned but the rest are hit or miss. I have planned to make the Eustis event, due to the place, and time of year. Plus we will be camping and that is an important factor for me when choosing an event to attend. Helium would be another good reason to attend. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all of you who have put on events.

And thank you T2H for this wise muse...........this is exactly what I wished to extract by my post, to share with all, so we can decide what should be a go vs. a meet and greet (not so formal with not so much stuff or time involved).

Your candor is appreciated! Thanks for sharing!:)

team moxiepup
08-19-2008, 11:57 PM
If dogs were allowed at the events we would attend more of them :D We hate to leave Moxie home all day on the weekends and if the events are too far away she would have to be home alone too long, so we usually avoid the far events that don't allow dogs. Outdoor events that allow dogs are our favorites. We missed a lot of events this summer because of our schedules. We were going to pop into the scrappin' event but we had some unexpected house repairs come up that had to get taken care of.
We enjoy the coffee breaks as they usually break up the work week a bit and we can catch up with everyone.

Medawisla
08-20-2008, 07:19 AM
I like a bit of organization at events.

I do think that a little better job could be done promoting the events.

One thing that might be considered is to have a greeter of sorts to kind of look out for new folk and when they are found make sure they are welcomed and introduced to folk either formally or informally.

Great ideas, Gob-ler! I'm one of those organization freaks, and I really liked how at Karen's Celebrating 2008 event she laid out happenings on an agenda of sorts, that was cool! It helps new-comers see what's coming up and what to stick around for, too.

In promoting events, this comes up in another post too, a way to promote your event before you can publish it, so that those far-in-advance-summer-planners can plan for it, like KayakingLoon did, post a tread here in the forums with you're event title. People can become aware of the date, ask questions about the details, plan out potlucks, prizes, and other fun stuff people can contribute to, to make the event that much better! Use the forums, they're here for you!

I love the idea of a greeter! Even a rotation of a few different people throughout the event to be greeters; and answer that so-often-first-question: what's a travel bug? Greeters are great, because they open the person up and the greeter can figure out what the person's interest is and then introduce them to someone with a similar interest! Despite not having a greeter so-to-speak at the Pirate event, I think folks were able to mesh into the crowd easily because of the scavenger hunt that was going on; with cachers moving around, it's not perceived as though there are already formed cliques.

I'm sure everyone is wonderful, but it's hard when you just meet people.

Sure it is ltlindian. Thanks for speaking up, that took courage, and I'm sure there are other newbies who feel similar! Like others have said here, don't feel compelled to stick around if you are uncomfortable, or look at the event like you're meeting one person, even the host maybe, and then you'll find yourself easily meeting everyone! That's less overwhelming I think...:cool:

Wow, another courageous cacher! Welcome, by the way. Meeting new people is always unnerving, but to put your nerves aside a little bit, just to let you and other newbies know, a lot of us may have met one another, but our perceived rapport is really just us being open in the forums. I know Hiram was legendary before we ever even met another cacher, let alone attended an event. So again, don't let the rapport alienate you, because we were once a newbie and we know how that feels ;)

I don't do events. :) ;)

You keep telling yourself that FFJ...:p

How about we plan a pathtag event...wouldn't that be a blast?

TOTALLY (even though I don't have a pathtag). It'd be all about meeting new people, so everyone can be a "newbie" tehehe and see who you "cross paths" with!:D

If dogs were allowed at the events we would attend more of them :D

I know some folks don't put those attribute thingys on their events pages (like dogs welcome)...but always ask the host if they don't say dogs are welcome. Sometimes the host wants to be controlling on which dogs do attend, and I know I would always want Moxie to be there!! :D:cool:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I'm sure they'll help folks planning events and attending events in the future! :)

hollora
08-20-2008, 10:20 AM
If dogs were allowed at the events we would attend more of them :D We hate to leave Moxie home all day on the weekends and if the events are too far away she would have to be home alone too long, so we usually avoid the far events that don't allow dogs.

As a "dog" person, I totally understand. Many of the GeoDogs are well behaved and would be welcome but it is sometimes the venue location which makes an event sponsor have to deny dogs:(, such as our Pirate Event.

I noticed last night reading the Folk Festival information that this year - No Dogs or other Pets, except service dogs are allowed at that event either.

FYI, if the dog is a service dog - it can not be denied access - regardless.

Dogs will be allowed at the Apres event :) as they were last year, as long as they are on leash or under your control. We have neighbors with horses so we can't have them wander.

A great idea to post if dogs are welcome on not. Using the little icon attributes is a good way to do this.

al'Thor
08-20-2008, 11:36 AM
I have not been able to attend any events yet, although I am certainly looking forward to attending some.

For me it mostly comes down to time and location. I work every other weekend so 50% of dates are automaticly out. Having only every other weekend off I usally plan family stuff and work around the house for my other weekends. I was looking forward to attending the Slipping into Summer event, but a few weeks prior we added a new foster son to our family and he was still adjusting to us and I did not want to over whelm him with a bunch of people.

Living DownEast is also a problem. So far the closest event to me was a meet and greet in Ellsworth (an hour away). I believe this was on my weekend to work as well.

Events sound like so much fun and I can't wait to hit a few, but for me if will be more than just once in a while.

robt
08-20-2008, 01:33 PM
My decision is usually a decision of money and time. Sometimes I depending on how far the event is and the cost of the event I have to decide if I can afford or what do I have to give up to go. The other major factor for me is allways timing, Everyone's schedule gets so full and most of the time on a week day event I can not plan is I never know what my schedule is going to be untill I walk out the door after work. Some day I will figure out how either to be in 2 or 3 places at a time or a transporter so I can get to places quickly and cheaply :) I wanted to go to the Orca event again this year but could not figure out how to be in maine, montana and maryland all on the same day and partly at the same time... :) My Brothers Wedding in Montana won btw.... Not TAT's wedding b4 I start an ugly rumor....:D

WhereRWe?
08-20-2008, 05:25 PM
I wanted to go to the Orca event again this year but could not figure out how to be in maine, montana and maryland all on the same day and partly at the same time... :) My Brothers Wedding in Montana won btw.... Not TAT's wedding b4 I start an ugly rumor....:D

Sheesh! You're not going to TAT's wedding??? :eek::eek:

pjpreb
08-20-2008, 05:28 PM
TAT's getting married??? Congratulations!!! :D:D:p

Haffy
08-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Hey Tom,did you know you were getting married?....:confused:;):D:eek:

WhereRWe?
08-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Hey Tom,did you know you were getting married?....:confused:;):D:eek:

Sheesh! I wonder how much traction this is going to get. Perhaps I'd better not place any new caches for a while - they might not get approved... LOL!

brdad
08-20-2008, 06:39 PM
So who is holding this event where Tat is getting married?
Perhaps someone needs to start a thread just for this subject, so this one can stay on track...

darterkitfox
08-20-2008, 06:54 PM
About the only thing I use this site for is the forums and the chat. Once in awhile someone mentions an event but I do most things spur of the moment. If a thread on an event updates and mentions it a day or two before the event actually happens, it would be a reminder for me to see if I am available.

WhereRWe?
08-20-2008, 07:07 PM
So who is holding this event where Tat is getting married?
Perhaps someone needs to start a thread just for this subject, so this one can stay on track...

Sheesh! I think we should start a thread about BRDAD getting married... :p:p

Mainiac1957
08-20-2008, 07:42 PM

Well Dave & Lee.....any comments?:rolleyes::D

pjpreb
08-20-2008, 07:56 PM

Brdad's getting married???:eek::eek:

brdad
08-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Of course I am. It has been mentioned at least once in these forums. If you people would just take time to do a search, you'd find all the info you need. ;)

Medawisla
08-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Of course I am. It has been mentioned at least once in these forums. If you people would just take time to do a search, you'd find all the info you need. ;)

Wow! Do I get a prize for figuring this out first-again!
Sept 20, 2007 :D:cool:

Haffy
08-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah I've been trying for a few years now to get them to change it to the 19th ,my birthday, but they won't budge....;):D

hollora
08-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Or they could change to the 21st mine ~ but I suspect the year is not 2007.......correct?

Team2hunt
08-21-2008, 08:49 AM
There are 2 events coming up on the 13th of September, and I had to choose between the two. One of them is about 4+ hours north of me. Even though this is the event I would rather attend, it is just too far. The other is only 1.5 hours south and that's where I will be heading. See how hard this is sometimes? It came down to mileage, and just that. I'd rather be out in the Maine woods but will settle for the NH woods instead. Good luck with the event and I'll miss not being able to attend. :cool:

firefighterjake
08-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Congrats Tat and Dave and Lee and well just about anyone else planning on getting married . . . and of course congrats to Dubord . . . speaking of whom . . . has anyone seen or heard from him lately . . . he's been awfully quiet of late . . . I mean quiet for a lawyer. ;):D

tat
08-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Hey, What happens in Montana, stays in Montana! And that's all I have to say about that! :)

WhereRWe?
08-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Hey, What happens in Montana, stays in Montana! And that's all I have to say about that! :)

Sheesh! What happened in Montana? I didn't see anything on Drudge... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
08-21-2008, 07:22 PM
There are 2 events coming up on the 13th of September, and I had to choose between the two. One of them is about 4+ hours north of me. Even though this is the event I would rather attend, it is just too far.

Seems to me I heard about a new challenge to see who can attend the most geocaching events in one day... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

cachecrashers4
08-25-2008, 09:03 PM
We have been to 2 Meet-n-Greets so far. Location/distance can be a factor. My son and I are the geocachers in our family, the girls aren't interested in caching at all. They have been very good about us running off to find a cache. I'm not the social type and tend to be very uncomfortable around crowds. Probably why I like this sport, it avoids large groups of people. Out of the types of events you would likely see me attend will be the short meet-n-greet type. Joey likes pirates so we may also attend the next Maine Pirate Quest. I don't see large or mega events in our future, though I would love to discover all the coins.

firefighterjake
08-26-2008, 07:55 AM
We have been to 2 Meet-n-Greets so far. Location/distance can be a factor. My son and I are the geocachers in our family, the girls aren't interested in caching at all. They have been very good about us running off to find a cache. I'm not the social type and tend to be very uncomfortable around crowds. Probably why I like this sport, it avoids large groups of people. Out of the types of events you would likely see me attend will be the short meet-n-greet type. Joey likes pirates so we may also attend the next Maine Pirate Quest. I don't see large or mega events in our future, though I would love to discover all the coins.

Hey you sound like me . . . well everything but the part about having a son and daughters. ;):D

I'm not much of a social butterfly either . . . I think of myself more like a lunar moth . . . a big, fat, gawmy lunar moth attracted to the bright light of a shiny, new geocache . . . but I digress.;):D

I'm with you . . . I started out enjoying geocaching solo . . . and still enjoy making a day of it (haven't had much time lately though with so much going on at work and at home), but I have also made and met new friends here at the site and now I occasionally get together with them for some caching days out . . . and I have even done a few events . . . albeit they were low turnout events and you could pretty much do your own thing, stay as long as you wanted and leave whenever you wanted to go do some solo caching.

kayaking loon
08-26-2008, 12:14 PM
I'd love to go to events. However, with the price of gas we can't run all over the state, at least not frequently. So I'd rather spend my money to just go somewhere caching. We did go to Bruce's event because it was winter and I needed to at least talk caching with somebody! The first year I didn't go because I didn't know anybody. Then I got "online friends" and I felt better about it. And I had a great time. Wanted to go to Pirate Quest but husband had a conflict in the schedule. We've agreed next year to go for part of the day and get home in time for his happening. I'd love to go to the events in early September but can't because that's always a bad time for us. Husband's mother's 100th birthday party this year, disabled daughter has company coming that we have to entertain etc. Wanted to go to the muffin event in Augusta but it's a two hour drive and started early.

So I guess my answer is: I'd go to more if the drive wasn't so long, if there were no conflicts with our schedules, if I could cache more when I'm there. A combination of meet and greet, some convsersation, caching and a bit of good food.

That said, I don't have much "entertainment" planned for the Eustis event. I figure people will chat, go caching, come back to check out the TBs, go caching, eat, get door prizes, go to the campground for a campfire and homebrew or whatever. Does that work??

AND I had a great time at the gathering in Orrington that wasn't an event but was really fun. Thanks Dan, for putting that together and thanks to all who came! You were all great! :)

Sabby
08-26-2008, 02:40 PM
I only get to a few events in Maine because they need to be coincide with a time that I am going up to visit the family. Usually it is an 8 hour drive but I try to cache along the way.

I really like talking to the Maine cachers to see what they are up to. All I have met have been really great. I especially liked the WWWWWW events because they have given me a chance to do get out and cache with a group after eating at Big G's.

I wish I could manage to attend more of your events, especially thos that are held in the summer.

All in all I would say that you are really great people who enjoy something that I enjoy too, caching.

WhereRWe?
08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
I especially liked the WWWWWW events because they have given me a chance to do get out and cache with a group after eating at Big G's.

Gotta love winter caching in Maine! LOL!

vicbiker
08-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Gotta love winter caching in Maine! LOL!Last year after the event we all went caching in Oakland. Everyone who was there that day can attest to this being all that winter camping should be. I think we all have memories of that day that will last a lifetime. Tat losing his ski into the Mesalonski Stream, Nikki chopping out frozen caches with an ice ax, Stef sitting on the cache we were looking for are images I will never forget.

Sabby
08-26-2008, 07:06 PM
And how about the year before when we went to Etna Bog.

That was another memorable experience!

Yes I like winter caching in Maine. :)

Team2hunt
08-26-2008, 07:17 PM

I'll never forget that day. :) The sky was so blue and the snow so white. Trying to find the parking. And everyone lined up to sign the cache, and then the group picture. Ahhhh..........the memories. :rolleyes:

vicbiker
08-26-2008, 09:13 PM

Yes I like winter caching in Maine. :)Right you are Sabby. Those of us there that day will never forget all the fun we had. Group geocaching is the best geocaching.

WhereRWe?
08-27-2008, 08:20 AM

Sheesh! Etna Bog! When RULOST2? and I did that one, I'll have to admit that it was the first time I didn't believe Garmin, and swore that the car was in the opposite direction! LOL!

(Garmin was right, as usual...)

balinda
09-04-2008, 06:45 PM
It sounds like we should have an event for those of us that have a hard time at events. I like an event where I am not just sitting around talking but can get some caching in while not missing out on the event. The summer is jam packed full so we usually only attend events before June or after Labor Day.

We did get to the pig/turkey roast this year.

With three kids one in High School one in Jr High and a 3rd grader. I am busy all the time. I have not gotten to cache as much this summer as last.

I need to learn how to camp to really enjoy some of these events.

The other thing that holds me back is that it is only my son and me who are truly into geocaching. My husband and daughters roll their eyes when I make them stop for a cache. (they almost always enjoy the hike, but they're teenagers and must complain. My husband has no excuse)

I hope to se any of you at an event and if I don't say hi just know that I am introverted. It is really hard to meet new people.:rolleyes:

Mainiac1957
09-04-2008, 06:55 PM
It's after Labor Day and the fifth Cache Bashe is only 2 days away. You coming or what??;):rolleyes::D:p

hollora
09-04-2008, 07:28 PM
I think we spoke at the Slipping event. What are you talking about introverted (shy), I just did not see that in you. Just come, hang out......or just say hi, sign the log and leave. Events are sort of anything goes.

Surely, I do know the kids and hubbie thing. You just go with the flow and bring them along when you can. Hope we see you at one of the events up here but will understand if it doesn't happen.

I had not camped in years before I started caching - it renewed old memories and skills and it was wonderful to have experienced mentors to help. I felt like part of a big family.

Hope to see you soon.

firefighterjake
09-05-2008, 08:10 AM
. . . My husband has no excuse)

. . .

Sure he does . . . he's a guy . . . what other excuse do us males need? ;):D:rolleyes:

balinda
09-05-2008, 09:09 AM
I live in Brunswick. My son is into planes. He thinks he is going to be a pilot someday. The Great American Airshow is at Brunswick Naval Airstation this weekend. :rolleyes: The Blue Angels have been practicing over our heads for the last two days. :mad:

If that isn't enough I committed to a Democratic Country Fair and bought a square in the donkey drop. :p

Luckily both these things are in Brunswick and my family will enjoy going to all these things.

I am thinking about sneaking away and driving north just to sign in and get a smilie but I don't know if my frugal mind will let me.:(

hollora
09-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Oh the Air show - I know a couple of other cachers who will be there. Steve McCausland of Maine SP posted to our group the following:
"Since this is the last time the Blue Angels in appear in Maine, here are two great vantage spots to watch the show without going on the Navy Base. If you want to spend the day on the base it is well worth it, but the traffic to and from is huge. Although the times of the flights are not announced, typically the Blues are the last event of the day, Saturday from 3 to 4 PM and Sunday from 2:30 to 3:30 PM. If you have never seen the show, drive to Brunswick-Topsham Saturday or Sunday to view it. Sunday is likely to be the better of the two days for weather. As a long time Brunswick resident, here is where I've watched them in the past---
1 -- Park at the end of Water Street in Brunswick and walk along the the bike path . Water Street is off Mason Street, which is the first left after driving across the bridge into downtown Brunswick.
2-- Park at the Topsham Fairgrounds on Elm Street and watch the show from there. The fairgrounds on Elm St. is a left hand turn from a traffic light on Main St., Topsham, just after the Dairy Queen.
Both locations are also an easy walk to the new Merrymeeting Bridge between Topsham and Brunswick, which has a very wide sidewalk and a great vista for the show.
Also for those who may know their way around Brunswick, the new Mere Point Road Boat Launch would also be a unique place to watch the show. Mere Point Road is about a mile past Bowdoin College on Maine Street. The new boat launch, which opened last month, is about seven miles down Mere Point Road. ENJOY !"

Is there a cache at the boat launch yet?? LOL

balinda
09-05-2008, 06:57 PM
My sister lives in Topsham and they watch the show every year from Foreside Road. A great farmer whose last name is Hunt I believe lets people set up their chairs on his front lawn. The lawn is all clipped down to the river and you can see the planes take off from the Air Station.

We've done the going on the base before and it is worth it once but not this year. We'll watch it with my sisters family in Topsham on Saturday.

hollora
09-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Everyone enjoy............and for those of us up here around Bangor - our very best to you.

Medawisla
09-07-2008, 08:49 PM
I just thought it'd be good to post that the Last Cache Bashe of the Summer and the Apres events were well attended by new and old faces!! Both were great! I don't know if the first event had a record attendence, but I think the Apres event did...? Either way, both were a lot of fun! Thanks Mainiac and Hollora for hosting!!:D

firefighterjake
09-08-2008, 08:12 AM
I just thought it'd be good to post that the Last Cache Bashe of the Summer and the Apres events were well attended by new and old faces!! Both were great! I don't know if the first event had a record attendence, but I think the Apres event did...? Either way, both were a lot of fun! Thanks Mainiac and Hollora for hosting!!:D

And let's not forget the Apres Apres Helping Jake Move His Wicked Heavy Stove Event which was well attended . . . well at least well attended by Hiram and Medawisla and a few of Jake's family members and friends. ;):D

P.S. Thanks for the help Steph . . . it was good of you to bring Hiram along. ;):D Actually, in all seriousness, thanks for coming down to help guys. I really appreciated it.

P.S.S. Hiram . . . just for the record . . . you can do anything you want with those tomatoes . . . they're really for you guys.

P.S.S.S. Don't forget to contact me with times and places to meet up for this weekend's event . . . I have a little bit of wood if you need some for a campfire . . . and I also have a portable GPSr. ;):D

P.S.S.S.S. Just for the record, you guys are camping for the Commonground Fair, right?

hollora
09-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Steph, for the record - this year's Apres event had 44 attendees and last years was 53 but.......I know the weather discouraged a lot of folks. This year the campers were hearty folks - we had 8 tents (more than last year) and 10 people who stayed over. A whole table full played Yatzee in the rain under the EzEUp until after 12 MN!

Some of them even went in the pouring rain and did the GeoZoo night cache. They came back looking like they had a swim in the Penobscot! But everyone was laughing. Kaching Karen's boots were the hit of the party too!

One EzEUp lost it's strength and collapsed......but it was older. One other - the top came off. In the morning, Brad (Mainiac1957) helped get everything back together, picked up and wiped down - breakfast was served promptly, as promised at 7AM. A few folks who didn't camp joined us for breakfast too.

It sounds like everyone had a good time. I enjoy doing it and hope all is so I can again next year.