View Full Version : What Is Up With The Missing G-coins?

EvilHomer
09-01-2008, 09:34 AM
I now have 3 officially MIA coins, ALL IN MAINE mind you. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT CRAP? Is it really someone stealing coins, or do some people not understand the concept of the geo-coin? It is really starting to ANGER EVIL HOMER! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::(

WhereRWe?
09-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Just thieves, Homer. People who like to collect geocoins. While at the Rendezvous Quebec 2008 event last month, I saw people with HUGE albums full of geocoins that I'm quite sure were not purchased. Good chance that one of your coins was in one of those albums - and perhaps one of my coins as well!

dí76
09-01-2008, 10:49 AM
I used to really enjoy the trading of coins to the extent if there was a really cool coin in a local cache I would hop in the truck and head over to grab it. Unfortunatly that all stopped when the coins stopped really "landing" in the caches. It truely is a shame that these coins get stolen, but whats more of a shame is that these folks stoop to the level of stealing them. I have suspicions of folks on this website right here that have done this very thing that you mention. I wish this wasnt the case because I have some cool coins that I would love to see out and about. The same goes for TBs they turn up missing all the time also. Go to gc.com and check the forumns for stolen coins and you will be surprised how often it happens.

EvilHomer
09-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Just thieves, Homer. People who like to collect geocoins. While at the Rendezvous Quebec 2008 event last month, I saw people with HUGE albums full of geocoins that I'm quite sure were not purchased. Good chance that one of your coins was in one of those albums - and perhaps one of my coins as well!

Yup. I'll bet. It might be interesting to question these people as to how they afford to buy all these coins. I think I am done releasing geocoins. It was fun for about 10 minutes.

aaronpriest
09-01-2008, 12:28 PM
I didn't bother getting any more geocoins done after our first 100 in 2005. After I saw some of them listed as "extremely rare" and selling for $25+ on eBay that I had originally released as TBs, I got real sick of that crap. It didn't outrage me when someone sold one they'd acquired in a fair trade, though it irritated me that they didn't see enough value in it to keep for their collection. I'm pretty much through with geocoins. The only ones I purchase or trade now are the Maine ones or from someone I know personally, and occasionally I quietly leave one unactivated in a seldom visited or hard to find cache as an award for the next geocacher. But I don't advertise it in the logs so it hopefully won't get stolen. I might consider wooden nickels or tags if they are cheap enough for my next signature item. Geocoins are now like throwing money in the wind unfortunately.

fins2right
09-01-2008, 02:10 PM
I didn't bother getting any more geocoins done after our first 100 in 2005. After I saw some of them listed as "extremely rare" and selling for $25+ on eBay that I had originally released as TBs, I got real sick of that crap. It didn't outrage me when someone sold one they'd acquired in a fair trade, though it irritated me that they didn't see enough value in it to keep for their collection. I'm pretty much through with geocoins. The only ones I purchase or trade now are the Maine ones or from someone I know personally, and occasionally I quietly leave one unactivated in a seldom visited or hard to find cache as an award for the next geocacher. But I don't advertise it in the logs so it hopefully won't get stolen. I might consider wooden nickels or tags if they are cheap enough for my next signature item. Geocoins are now like throwing money in the wind unfortunately.

I have to agree. I emailed Evilhomer just a few weeks ago about one of his coins that I picked up in Bangor and released in Vassalboro. After some time it had not moved so I drove back out to see what was up. The coin was gone. Nothing in the log, nothing in the cache. The coin was so good looking that I think it was a matter of time before it disappeared. :( The other EvilHomer coin that I dropped off in China seems to have fallen off the radar as well. :mad: I placed four TB's out into the wild this summer and one never even made it out of the cache! Along with that TB at Motorgirl coin that I dropped off with it has gone missing.:mad: I've decided that a 75% success rate (so far) is better than normal, So I guess that I should be happy. I know that they were not my coins, but I still was really upset that I was the last to see them. I want to buy some, but I think that I will just collect them like pathtags and stick with simple TB's to send out. Along that vein, Is it OK to use my copy tag to resend out a TB?

Team U.S.Eh?
09-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Sadly, my Maine International Geocoin appears to be missing from Sydney Apple only a couple of people have logged being there since it was placed...did any of you see it? The last person said it was not there....I have had good luck with my other ones so far though.

Cache Maine
09-01-2008, 04:50 PM

It's unfortunate that people feel this way. Not ALL geocoin collectors are thieves!!!! I am active in the geocoin and pathtag community and can assure you that there are lots and lots of honest people who work hard to establish their collections.

I don't think it's fair for you or anyone else to assume that just because someone has a big collection, that they stole the coins.

I'm sorry to hear when a coin goes missing....it's hard to know EXACTLY what happened unless you stand over the cache 24/7. I hope that the coins turn up some day and all is back to normal.

WhereRWe?
09-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I don't think it's fair for you or anyone else to assume that just because someone has a big collection, that they stole the coins.

CM - if it were just one or two coins, I'd agree with you. But it's pretty rare that a coin gets passed along from cache to cache. Here's an example: the Maine geocoin that I placed in a cache in Portugal (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1370113). Placed May 8, the next cacher to visit the cache on June 6 stated the coin wasn't there. This is not an isolated example.

Dave1976 stated "It truely is a shame that these coins get stolen, but whats more of a shame is that these folks stoop to the level of stealing them. I have suspicions of folks on this website right here that have done this very thing that you mention.". Yup. The Civil War Geocoin (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=525361) that I released at last year's Last Cashe Bashe is still missing. Most of the people attending were people we know well. Did one of them steal it? Any suggestions on another explanation?

I'm sorry to hear when a coin goes missing....it's hard to know EXACTLY what happened unless you stand over the cache 24/7. I hope that the coins turn up some day and all is back to normal.

Well, lets explore the possibilities:

1. The coin evaporated.
2. A raccoon took it.
3. It was never placed in the cache to begin with.
4. Someone stole it.

Did I miss anything?

Yes, I'll agree that there are a lot of legitimate coin collectors, and I don't mean to disparage them. But the fact remains that a great MANY geocoins do disappear. If they don't wind up in someone's collection, I'd sure like to know what happened to them. I'm quite proud of the Algarve geocoin (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1685966) that was given to me by a cacher in Portugal. At the time, he said that because of the limited production, it was probably the only one in the US. Needless to say, it is NOT going into a geocache. At any event I attend, I offer anyone who wants an opportunity to "discover" it. But it's isn't leaving my possession.

:confused::confused:

Cache Maine
09-01-2008, 07:27 PM
CM - if it were just one or two coins, I'd agree with you. But it's pretty rare that a coin gets passed along from cache to cache. Here's an example: the Maine geocoin that I placed in a cache in Portugal (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1370113). Placed May 8, the next cacher to visit the cache on June 6 stated the coin wasn't there. This is not an isolated example.

Dave1976 stated "It truely is a shame that these coins get stolen, but whats more of a shame is that these folks stoop to the level of stealing them. I have suspicions of folks on this website right here that have done this very thing that you mention.". Yup. The Civil War Geocoin (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=525361) that I released at last year's Last Cashe Bashe is still missing. Most of the people attending were people we know well. Did one of them steal it? Any suggestions on another explanation?

Well, lets explore the possibilities:

1. The coin evaporated.
2. A raccoon took it.
3. It was never placed in the cache to begin with.
4. Someone stole it.

Did I miss anything?

Yes, I'll agree that there are a lot of legitimate coin collectors, and I don't mean to disparage them. But the fact remains that a great MANY geocoins do disappear. If they don't wind up in someone's collection, I'd sure like to know what happened to them. I'm quite proud of the Algarve geocoin (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1685966) that was given to me by a cacher in Portugal. At the time, he said that because of the limited production, it was probably the only one in the US. Needless to say, it is NOT going into a geocache. At any event I attend, I offer anyone who wants an opportunity to "discover" it. But it's isn't leaving my possession.

:confused::confused:

I do not have the knowledge to tell you exactly what happens to these coins. I am also aware that they do go missing...the issue I have was with your original post stating that people with big collections steal coins. That's basically saying that myself, Hollora, EmsDanel, kayakerinme and others here steal coins and that is not the case.

Two of your four "examples" are unreasonable. If you really want to think about what really could happen to a coin, then do it....here's a few to add:

-new cacher picks up the coin not knowing it's trackable
-new cacher picks up the coin, don't understand how to log coins/tbs
-geo kid picks up the coin and geo parents didn't realize
-coin was logged into the wrong cache
-coin numbers unreadable, unable to log
-cacher picks up coin, but doesn't log online, moves along at a later time
-cache was muggled

Geocaching is a sport played in a world that changes every day. No one can promise that things are going to happen as they should.

On another note, I would be more than happy to contact the person that we saw at Quebec with all the coins and invite him in to discuss his collection further.

firefighterjake
09-02-2008, 08:08 AM
. . .
Two of your four "examples" are unreasonable. . .

True . . .

#1 should be . . . 1) Metal recyclers took said coin and melted it down for recycling

and

#2 should be . . . 2) Ferrets took the geocoin . . . always blame the ferrets. ;):D

On the serious side . . . Cachemaine makes a few other valid points . . . especially with new cachers.

Personally, I've never invested much money into the coins (buying or releasing) . . . I figure if I want something personal floating around in the geo-world I would go the cheaper route and go with a personal TB.

Sudonim
09-02-2008, 12:00 PM

I still have the coin you gave me way back when at the first Maine Coin event. I really liked the design, and it was the first black nickel coin I'd ever seen. I'm not selling that one:p

EvilHomer
09-02-2008, 12:02 PM
I agree with you Jake, the coins do not seem worth releasing if they turn up missing either under mysterious circumstances, or by honest mistakes. It is discouraging to see something you got excited about and spent money on go *POOF* into the aether of never never land. I understand if someone is new to caching, or you have a gobby bird two year old like mine that will pick up anything not nailed down, but you would have to be the lowest of the low to steal from fellow cachers. I think either the drilled out coin or a simple TB is all I will release for now.

team moxiepup
09-02-2008, 10:17 PM
We have released a few coins and have actually etched our team name on them and they went missing almost immediately. If someone wants something they won't care what condition it is in. Out of the 7 missing trackables we have sent out, only 2 of them were coins, 5 were TBs. Why would someone want to steal a tb?:confused: that baffles us. We have 17 other coins/TBs still out there wandering around. Several of them have over 10,000 logged miles. We have picked up coins and tbs that have traveled many more miles than that. It is odd that some move along and others disappear before they even have a chance.
We have wondered about coins that get "stolen" What do the folks that steal them for their collections gain? If you show them to anyone and they discover them, they will find out that you are a thief and the coin doesn't belong to you.

We like to see our TBs travel around but we also know the risk we take in releasing them. We are still willing to take that risk. Probably not so much with the coins but the TBs are a bit different.

A suggestion for releasing coins:
Put them in a case /or baggie with a tag explaining exactly what they are and how to track them. This may help the newbies.

Sudonim
09-03-2008, 12:55 AM
A suggestion for releasing coins:
Put them in a case /or baggie with a tag explaining exactly what they are and how to track them. This may help the newbies.

I received a very apologetic email today from a new cacher that picked up my Maine geocoin (mission was to stay in the state). They took it down south and didn't realize the mission until too late. It was my fault as there was no tag with a mission on it. I've done the same thing, pick up a cool tb or coin with no mission tag and take it somewhere before reading about it.
Tags help!

WhereRWe?
09-03-2008, 08:50 AM
I do not have the knowledge to tell you exactly what happens to these coins. I am also aware that they do go missing...the issue I have was with your original post stating that people with big collections steal coins. That's basically saying that myself, Hollora, EmsDanel, kayakerinme and others here steal coins and that is not the case.

No, I'm not saying that people who have big collections steal coins. I'm saying that people who steal coins >>probably<< have big collections, and that's a big difference. Someone known to us is a coin thief. That's a fact. And as you can see from this thread, I'm not the only one to realize that.

Two of your four "examples" are unreasonable. If you really want to think about what really could happen to a coin, then do it....here's a few to add:

-new cacher picks up the coin not knowing it's trackable
-new cacher picks up the coin, don't understand how to log coins/tbs
-geo kid picks up the coin and geo parents didn't realize
-coin was logged into the wrong cache
-coin numbers unreadable, unable to log
-cacher picks up coin, but doesn't log online, moves along at a later time
-cache was muggled

Actually, I was being facetious.

Geocaching is a sport played in a world that changes every day. No one can promise that things are going to happen as they should.

On another note, I would be more than happy to contact the person that we saw at Quebec with all the coins and invite him in to discuss his collection further.

You saw only one person with a collection? I saw a table full of people with collections.

WhereRWe?
09-03-2008, 08:56 AM
On the serious side . . . Cachemaine makes a few other valid points . . . especially with new cachers.

Yes, that points are good, but an experienced cacher is able to "read the signs" and usually be able to tell if a new cacher's ignorance was responsible for the missing coin or that it was stolen.

For example, the new cacher will usually log in the log book and on gc.com. They might event remark that they picked up the coin. The next cacher remarks that there is no coin in the cache, so you get a good idea of what happened to it.

WhereRWe?
09-03-2008, 09:04 AM
It's unfortunate that people feel this way. Not ALL geocoin collectors are thieves!!!! I am active in the geocoin and pathtag community and can assure you that there are lots and lots of honest people who work hard to establish their collections.

I'm hitting this comment again to make SEVERAL things VERY clear.

I've known you for a long time, I know you collect coins, and I am NOT accusing you of being a thief.

I DO NOT "assume that just because someone has a big collection, that they stole the coins". I do assume that SOME people who have big collections did not come by all of them honestly. Reason for my assumption? Because a GREAT MANY geocoins do disappear. That's a fact. And it's also safe to assume that the purpose of stealing geocoins is to add them to a collection.

Gob-ler
09-03-2008, 09:10 AM
I have a kayakerinme coin that I picked up several weeks ago that could not be logged as it has not been activated. No way to trace it or track it. Maybe that is the coin in question from Sydney's Apple and maybe it is not. Some folks do place un-activated coins as swag, but that is rare. At any rate, if a coin cannot be tracked or if it is not activated I have always considered it trade-able swag. If the coin I have is yours I would be happy to send it to you, just let me know what the tracking number is.

On the issue of the comments made, it is very unfortunate that anyone would accuse anyone on a public forum. This is not the first time that comments of an accusatory nature have showed up here. It is unfortunate that some people use this forum is used to express thoughts that have no fact to back them up.

Now, on the subject of missing coins, unfortunately it is a part of Geocaching. It is also one of the reasons why I have never released a coin. I have a few that are active and make the rounds with me to events, and that's it. A while back I found a coin in my possession that I did not even know I had and promptly got it moving again. Such oversights occur. I got a note from one of the coin owners that they were just pleased it was alive and well and moving again. Oh the stories the coins could tell.

aaronpriest
09-03-2008, 10:15 AM
I still have the coin you gave me way back when at the first Maine Coin event. I really liked the design, and it was the first black nickel coin I'd ever seen. I'm not selling that one:p

And I still have the challenge coin you gave me! :D

I agree with most of the comments made here from all sides. I have a sizeable geocoin collection that was honestly acquired. People I personally know that love collecting and displaying coins respect their own property and thus by nature respect others' property. I doubt any of their collections are by ill-gotten gains. That being said, I have no doubt that some stingy dweeb somewhere has a secret stash of stolen loot hidden in a sock drawer. I don't think they would be the same type of person that shares a beautifully displayed collection at an event for all to enjoy though.

As I mentioned before, I sometimes leave an unactivated coin as swag for the next cacher, but I won't advertise it in the logs anymore, at least not on the website. I clearly label it in a bag so the next cacher realizes its free for trading, just leave something of similar value for the next cacher. I've come across a few coins and signature items in the past that were not labeled and I was not sure if they were supposed to be TBs or if they were tradeable items, especially if they are not trackable items on GC. If I wasn't sure, I always contacted the owner and asked. Once I found a geocoin with no accompanying paperwork (nor trackable on GC), and after getting in contact with the owner discovered he'd originally intended it to travel from cache to cache but it had lost the baggie it was in along the way. Since I liked the design and he had been looking for one of my geocoins, we decided to do a trade instead and everyone was happy.

I've also come across a few TBs with no attached documentation, and discovered after I got home that it's mission was something I couldn't help with. (Taking it north when it wanted to go south for instance.) When I discover something like that with an activated geocoin or a TB, I typically print out the mission page and put it in a baggie to make it easier for the next geocacher.

I think most of the stolen loot and missing TBs/geocoins are from mugglers and not local geocachers who love the sport. I've not lost much on remote or difficult caches, it's mostly rural ones where I see things go missing. But you never know where someone is going to leave your TB, and they never really travel if they sit for months in remote caches. It's a calculated risk like any sport.

I don't find a cache for the "treasure" anyway. For me, it's a way to explore places I'd never otherwise visit, even if it's right next door to where I always go, and also to look for good photo opportunities. As they say, it's all in the trip, not the destination. :)

Team Richards
09-03-2008, 07:21 PM
We like geo-coins...quite a bit. but we really just like to look at them. When I say we, I mean me and my youngest son. He was beside himself at the Quebec event the collections that we saw were amazing and the fact that most were trackable and activated was very cool.

We collect icons and we try to have fun doing it. We use teh coins as a way to learn about other people, places and things.

I have gotten emails form people accusing us of stealing their coins and it always makes me wonder if its worth moving coins. That has happened five or six times and in every case the coins turned up at a later date with an explanaion as to where they had been. phew!

We were thinking about releasing a keychain with all the traking numbers of the coins we lost so that peole can still collect the icons even if they can't see the real coin.
What are your thoughts about that?

We own some coins, not as many as others and most of our coins are active. We carry them to events and let people see them and when we think they have been passed around enough we let them go. We have only bought a few coins, most of the ones we have came as door prises or were given to us as a gift. We have found two or three in caches unactivated, some with notes saying that they were a gift to whoever and other just there unactivated. In that case we try to figure out who left it by reading the logs to see if they ment to leave it in the cache unactivated. In one case we fould out that they hadn't known how to activate the coin so we helped them activate it and moved it on for them.
We also leave coins unactivated in caches and sometimes give them to a cacher who the coin reminds us of.

I'm sure that their are people that steal coins just like thier are people who steal anything. But I have to believe that a fair amout of coins go missing by other means.

We have had some go missing, (some more than once). We have also had some travel for lots of miles.. One coin was lost after only being at one cache that we put it in. It was logged into an event but I was at that event and I never saw it there, doesn't mean it wasn't there, we hoped it would show up but it hasn't yet.

I have gotten emails from cachers letting me know that they picked up my coin months before and then got busy with life and forgot to log the coin and found it later in the bag they use to cache with.
We have had coins lost under seats of rental cars, dropped on the trail to be picked up by another cacher. Moved to another cache and not logged.

There are a lot of ways to look at this. We know how it feels to loose a coin, and how it feels to be acused of stealing coins. we also know how it feels to loose somone elses coin. We walk 2 miles back on a trail the next day after tearing the car and backpacks apart just to make sure we looked every where. We did find it and know that others would do the same if it was our coin.

hollora
09-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Clearly posted from the heart of a Family who goes the extra mile in logging Geocoins (and everything else too).:) If you have never read a discovery log of Team Richards - just go to their profile, find an icon they have discovered and read their log. It will be an entertaining and educational experience.:D

I personally watched the commitment of a father and son - in looking at coins in Quebec.:) The collections were amazing and it was wonderful for folks to bring all their coins to share for others to see.

Releasing a keychain with a facsimile of your "lost" coins and the tracking number sounds to me like a fun, creative and new concept. No different than folks doing a facsimile anyway rather than releasing the "real" coin or the cards that many print to take to events rather than risk taking their coins. Actually, I kind of like this idea and you could put a Fob in it labeled MIA geocoins for your discovery pleasure.:rolleyes:

I tend to agree that I don't think Geocachers per se are intentionally stealing geocoins. Picking them up and perhaps dropping out of the sport, loosing them in a bag, misplacing them - there can be a lot of scenerios. I do believe non-cachers visit caches (someone does not need to be a cacher to own a GPSr get the coords with a dummy ID and go find a cache) or the same to visit an event. At every event does everyone get around to meet the new faces and people, to learn who they really are, remember the ID and then make sure they logged. All that is needed for the coords is an ID - that does not say you ever need to use it to log on-line.

Well, I like the keychain ID - gotta go check my coins in the field and see it I should create on too.

We like geo-coins...quite a bit. but we really just like to look at them. When I say we, I mean me and my youngest son. He was beside himself at the Quebec event the collections that we saw were amazing and the fact that most were trackable and activated was very cool.

We collect icons and we try to have fun doing it. We use teh coins as a way to learn about other people, places and things.

I have gotten emails form people accusing us of stealing their coins and it always makes me wonder if its worth moving coins. That has happened five or six times and in every case the coins turned up at a later date with an explanaion as to where they had been. phew!

We were thinking about releasing a keychain with all the traking numbers of the coins we lost so that peole can still collect the icons even if they can't see the real coin.

We own some coins, not as many as others and most of our coins are active. We carry them to events and let people see them and when we think they have been passed around enough we let them go. We have only bought a few coins, most of the ones we have came as door prises or were given to us as a gift. We have found two or three in caches unactivated, some with notes saying that they were a gift to whoever and other just there unactivated. In that case we try to figure out who left it by reading the logs to see if they ment to leave it in the cache unactivated. In one case we fould out that they hadn't known how to activate the coin so we helped them activate it and moved it on for them.
We also leave coins unactivated in caches and sometimes give them to a cacher who the coin reminds us of.

I'm sure that their are people that steal coins just like thier are people who steal anything. But I have to believe that a fair amout of coins go missing by other means.

We have had some go missing, (some more than once). We have also had some travel for lots of miles.. One coin was lost after only being at one cache that we put it in. It was logged into an event but I was at that event and I never saw it there, doesn't mean it wasn't there, we hoped it would show up but it hasn't yet.

I have gotten emails from cachers letting me know that they picked up my coin months before and then got busy with life and forgot to log the coin and found it later in the bag they use to cache with.
We have had coins lost under seats of rental cars, dropped on the trail to be picked up by another cacher. Moved to another cache and not logged.

There are a lot of ways to look at this. We know how it feels to loose a coin, and how it feels to be acused of stealing coins. we also know how it feels to loose somone elses coin. We walk 2 miles back on a trail the next day after tearing the car and backpacks apart just to make sure we looked every where. We did find it and know that others would do the same if it was our coin.

Gob-ler
09-03-2008, 10:05 PM
An update on the missing Maine International Coin. When I grabbed the Maine Coin I have in my possession last month I could not log it. I tried and got the "Not in the system" message. After a message from TeamUSA I rechecked the coin and have solved the mystery. Any of you that have shared your coins with me know how hard a time I have reading the tracking numbers on some of them. The coin that was missing had as last number a 0. Under a high powered magnifying glass that I use for fly tying I can see that half of the letter zero is missing and instead of a C it is a 0 with exactly half of the number missing.

I have left a message for Team USA asking what they want me to do with the coin and am awaiting a reply.

So I guess the lesson here is that if you get a "Not activated" type message get the biggest magnifier you can and look again.

Again my apology to TeamUSA for the problem with the coin.

hollora
09-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Gob-ler, ah, I, too, have a problem reading numbers. Hence, Team Richards will tell you I carry a fairly high powered loope. But not in the field.........

Everyone - Cache On - Cache Happy!

Team Richards
09-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Gob-ler, ah, I, too, have a problem reading numbers. Hence, Team Richards will tell you I carry a fairly high powered loope. But not in the field.........

Everyone - Cache On - Cache Happy!

Hey, I also have hard time reading some of those. I carry a high powered William, even in the field
Cache Happy:)

Team2hunt
09-04-2008, 07:55 AM

I have come across a few cachers that are worried about their coins being taken and have released a wooden coin with the original coins likeness and tracking number on it. That way the coin gains mileage and stays in circulation. I think the key chain idea with all of the tracking numbers is a great idea. I have also seen the "drill a hole and insert the tag" idea. Noone wants to buy a coin on ebay that has a hole in it. Maybe someone should design a geocoin, that is riddled with holes, and call it " Not worth much, so keep me moving " geocoin. Good luck to all of you that put out coins and TB's.

Sudonim
09-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Maybe someone should design a geocoin, that is riddled with holes, and call it " Not worth much, so keep me moving " geocoin. Good luck to all of you that put out coins and TB's.

Put me down for three (plus one of the platinum limited edition ones) :p

firefighterjake
09-04-2008, 09:05 AM
. . . Maybe someone should design a geocoin, that is riddled with holes, and call it " Not worth much, so keep me moving " geocoin. Good luck to all of you that put out coins and TB's.

Great idea . . . but I'll save my money and just steal Sudonim's limited platinum edition. ;):D

And yes . . . this is a joke . . . I don't do coins . . . or events. ;):D

EvilHomer
09-04-2008, 09:15 AM
I don't do coins . . . or events. ;):D

Party POOPER! :p

firefighterjake
09-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Party POOPER! :p

Correction . . . I have done every Tread Lightly Event . . . so my earlier statement isn't entirely accurate.

And . . . to tell the truth . . . I was lured to a Flash Mob Event/Mainiac B-Day Event since I truly wanted to wish Brad a Happy Birthday . . . and Hiram still claims that he saw me briefly at a WWWWWWWBig G Event . . . but then again Hiram also claims Sasquatch is real, aliens abducted him seven years ago and subjected him to various probes and tests and that the Loch Ness monster is alive and well in Unity Pond. ;):D

Gob-ler
09-04-2008, 10:56 AM
FFJ, sounds to me like your either making excuses or going for a cover up. Which is it?

The fact is you can no longer say that you don't cause you have! Now, when am I going to get to finally meet you?

firefighterjake
09-04-2008, 11:56 AM
FFJ, sounds to me like your either making excuses or going for a cover up. Which is it?

The fact is you can no longer say that you don't cause you have! Now, when am I going to get to finally meet you?

I'll choose B . . . cover-up.

As for your second question . . . you never know . . . probably someday, somewhere on a trail we'll meet -- I'll be the one avoiding eye contact and will be mumbling a quick "hello" before you can ask any questions. ;):D

Gob-ler
09-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Hummmmmmm, I suspected as much.

On the trail????? I may have to haul my ATV that way and do some trail caches!

Mainiac1957
09-04-2008, 04:01 PM

Show up at the Tread Lightly event next weekend and you will see and meet Jake. As long as you approach slowly it won't spook him.

darterkitfox
09-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Firefighter, if you don't mind, I am curious as may be some others, why you don't attend events. I myself haven't had anyone visit my house in over a year (except the electric meter person), I didn't go to my family reunion and haven't for 20 years, didn't get together on fathers day with the rest of my family, didn't go to my nieces wedding last weekend, don't go to anyone's funeral, and numerous other examples. Yet I made it to the Pirate Event, last years Apres bashe, Delormes CITO, the Bangor Flash event, and more. Do you have a secret that I don't know about and I really shouldn't attend caching events?

hollora
09-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Firefighter, if you don't mind, I am curious as may be some others, why you don't attend events. I myself haven't had anyone visit my house in over a year (except the electric meter person), I didn't go to my family reunion and haven't for 20 years, didn't get together on fathers day with the rest of my family, didn't go to my nieces wedding last weekend, don't go to anyone's funeral, and numerous other examples. Yet I made it to the Pirate Event, last years Apres bashe, Delormes CITO, the Bangor Flash event, and more. Do you have a secret that I don't know about and I really shouldn't attend caching events?

And DKF - you are welcome whenever you wish to join us!:) As for FFJ - he is just really shy, worse than you.....;).....and your Keiko (oh, I hope I spelled that right) dog is more outgoing:eek:. No, don't fear FFJ - he is harmless, really a Teddybear - ah go to the Monhegan Sheridan cache and look at the photos - very laid back!:eek:

Sorry Jake - just had to post this!:cool:

dí76
09-04-2008, 08:51 PM

You wont typically see Jake at an event becuase he is very self concious of the mutated growth on his shoulders.:D

Team U.S.Eh?
09-04-2008, 08:52 PM
:D I'm so excited that the mystery of my coin is solved thanks Gob-ler! And may I suggest that this just may be how some coins disappear...I was just lucky that we look at the same forums...Thanks Geocaching Maine!;)

firefighterjake
09-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Show up at the Tread Lightly event next weekend and you will see and meet Jake. As long as you approach slowly it won't spook him.

And legend has it that he will even come up within five feet of you if you put out a plate of home-made cookies, coconut cream pie or a box of glazed donuts . . . but liver and onions, tuna noodle casserole and brussell sprouts will send him screaming into the woods in abject horror as he recalls his early childhood. ;):D:rolleyes:

firefighterjake
09-05-2008, 08:20 AM

Well there's that whole No-One-Likes-The-Quiet-Guy-Who-Really-Is-A -Serial-Ax-Murderer prejudice that gets in the way. ;):D

The real reason . . . I just don't like large gatherings with unfamiliar folks. I mean it's not like I'm anti-social or really introverted (you should see me when I'm in the zone and doing my fire prevention spiel) . . . it's just that I'm not comfortable in large crowds and unlike my on-line persona or one-on-one persona (pity poor Medawisla when Hiram and I get together) I tend to be a wall flower and don't really want to or care to interact with anyone.

As for family gatherings . . . I'm just not much into the whole family thing. I'm pretty much happy with just my wife and me . . . and a few select, close friends (yeah, that would be you and Medawisla Hiram . . . well maybe there are a couple others.)

No great secret . . . to take a line from Seinfeld . . . "it's not you (I mean it's not the events), it's me."

firefighterjake
09-05-2008, 08:28 AM
And DKF - you are welcome whenever you wish to join us!:) As for FFJ - he is just really shy, worse than you.....;).....and your Keiko (oh, I hope I spelled that right) dog is more outgoing:eek:. No, don't fear FFJ - he is harmless, really a Teddybear - ah go to the Monhegan Sheridan cache and look at the photos - very laid back!:eek:

Sorry Jake - just had to post this!:cool:

Egads . . . you would have to bring up those photos. I had just about forgotten about those photos . . . shot in a moment of my own weakness (blame it on the hot sun). Now if only I had brought my Speedos for that photo shoot. ;):D:eek:

firefighterjake
09-05-2008, 08:31 AM
You wont typically see Jake at an event becuase he is very self concious of the mutated growth on his shoulders.:D

Uh . . . Dave that would be my head. ;):D

Opalsns
09-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Hey All,
Does anyone read German ??? A Cachin' Crow Geocoin was released in Germany and I would love to know what's written. I could understand Crow and Cool!
tb2h1n4
Opalsns

Sabby
09-05-2008, 09:51 AM
There ar translation programs available. I used this one to translate Finnish into English.

http://translate.google.com/translate_t

Sabby
09-05-2008, 11:07 AM
I didn't realize that you posted the number.

Here is the goal:

Koronis was in the Greek mythology, the lover
of Apollo and mother of salvation God Asclepius.

Apollon promoted to Koronis and sent her to guard a white crow.
Koronis loved the king Ischys however, and although they already Apollon was pregnant,
they are linked with him, was the white crow Apollon announced.

Apollon was angry that the crow Koronis not turn a blind eye had ausgehackt
and condemned the animal to black.
He complained to his sister, the huntress Artemis, on Koronis' infidelity.
Artemis then shot a whole quiver of arrows from Koronis and killed them.

Opalsns
09-05-2008, 11:15 AM
VERY COOL,
Thank You Sabby!!!!
That's an awesome tale to go with the coin!!!
I Appreciate it!!!
Opalsns

darterkitfox
09-05-2008, 03:56 PM
You and I are too much alike. Now I'm really scared. If my wife logs in and asks if anyone has heard from me, I'm under the bed.

darterkitfox
09-05-2008, 03:58 PM
I couldn't make the quote feature work and I didn't realize that I hadn't read page 5 yet so my last message might not make sense. It was meant to go right after Jake's answer to me.

fins2right
09-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Hey All,
Does anyone read German ??? A Cachin' Crow Geocoin was released in Germany and I would love to know what's written. I could understand Crow and Cool!
tb2h1n4
Opalsns
www.babelfish.com (http://www.babelfish.com) also works well in translating.

team moxiepup
09-07-2008, 11:05 AM
A very odd thing has happened since we posted on this thread last. 2 of our TBs marked as missing have been found!!! One was lost in April and one in May of 2007 and they were found within a few days of each other. One Hairb allwas last seen in Florida and showed up in Wisconsin and the other Boomerang was last seen in a cache in England and was actually found in the cache it was supposedly missing from. Very, very strange. We think Boomerang is mssing from its tag but the tag is still there.
So don't give up hope on your TBs... Coins may be another issue [:(]

team moxiepup
09-07-2008, 11:07 AM
We use babelfsh all the time for language translation. It is funny sometimes how it translates, but you get the gist of the log.

firefighterjake
09-08-2008, 08:06 AM
I couldn't make the quote feature work and I didn't realize that I hadn't read page 5 yet so my last message might not make sense. It was meant to go right after Jake's answer to me.

Select the "Quote" bubble of the person you want to quote, bonk on it and it will pop up a "Reply to Thread" page with the person's text that you are quoting . . . much like I have done here. :) ;)

P.S. You can come out from under the bed now . . . there's no Event going on today. ;):D

pjpreb
09-08-2008, 12:41 PM
We have more luck with coins than TB's. We released a coin that we won at the Slipping into Summer event and now it is in Germany :)

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=16adcfff-2a79-4517-b2e3-f7ed4bfa3061

WhereRWe?
09-08-2008, 06:40 PM
We have more luck with coins than TB's. We released a coin that we won at the Slipping into Summer event and now it is in Germany :)

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=16adcfff-2a79-4517-b2e3-f7ed4bfa3061

Wow! That's a lot of miles in two jumps! LOL!

EvilHomer
09-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Well if anything maybe this thread will jog some memories or prod someone into logging a coin or moving it along.

Kacky
09-19-2008, 12:21 PM
I would love to host an official debate on the podcast. Any takers? Opal?

kayaking loon
09-22-2008, 01:10 PM
And legend has it that he will even come up within five feet of you if you put out a plate of home-made cookies, coconut cream pie or a box of glazed donuts . . . but liver and onions, tuna noodle casserole and brussell sprouts will send him screaming into the woods in abject horror as he recalls his early childhood. ;):D:rolleyes:

Jake, it might be safe to come to the Eustis event, lots of new caches since you were here last and there are many, many places to hide in the woods. Then around 5:00 we could lure you out with home-made cookies and coconut cream pie......

Opalsns
09-22-2008, 01:42 PM
I would love to host an official debate on the podcast. Any takers? Opal?

What's your debate about?
The thieving of caches and TBs and coins, or about not taking all the TBs and leaving one for the next cacher?
If a cache has been unable to access untill now, then, I'm sure someone ELSE will try to access it soon. So leave a TB for them. Don't take all if there are more than one. Wait a while, Then if the others don't move, go back and get them. But give another cacher a chance first !!!!
I placed a TB, TOBY the Hitchhiker , in Laughing Terry's THANK A TEACHER ,In April I believe, and nobody has gone after it yet. Alot of the season cachers have done it already, but there are a few who haven't. I felt bad and last month I emailed the owner to tell them that I will get it and move it to another if nobody goes there soon. I do care about the TBs I move.I don't want to see any sitting around either.
Opalsns

WhereRWe?
09-23-2008, 06:57 PM
I placed a TB, TOBY the Hitchhiker , in Laughing Terry's THANK A TEACHER ,In April I believe, and nobody has gone after it yet.

Sheesh! That's because nobody can find that cache! LOL!

(That and the fact that, other than local cachers, caches in Skowhegan don't get that much action. We haven't logged that cache yet. Give us a big hint and we'll move the TB! LOL!)

Opalsns
09-24-2008, 08:26 AM
It's a tough one but if NooBs like us can do it so can anyone!!! ( honestly, Laughing Terry gave us a hint or 2. It took us 3 times to get it. )

Just, THANK A TEACHER for learning how to COUNT and SPELL.
And it'll be a shorter trip if you go in behind the Armory,(Thanx Hollora).
You'll be traveling OVER HILL, OVER DALE, on a sort of slippery Trail,
and the cache-ons go rolling along!!!!
Opalsns

Macmo
09-24-2008, 12:50 PM
I have released all of my coins and TBs out of state, Colorado and Georgia.

3/4 are either missing or slow moving...

Macmo
09-24-2008, 12:58 PM
-cacher pickups GC/TB, dies before dropping it another cache

Kacky
09-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Upon reflection, I think I would like it to be a comedy spoof debate. Mapachi and anyone else up for it? You can write out your "arguments" in advance. I think the topic should be something like "lock n lock versus ammo can" or "guardrail versus lamp post" or something like that. Or maybe we could bring in Hiram and make it "beer vs wings".

Opalsns
09-26-2008, 06:11 AM
Upon reflection, I think I would like it to be a comedy spoof debate. Mapachi and anyone else up for it? You can write out your "arguments" in advance. I think the topic should be something like "lock n lock versus ammo can" or "guardrail versus lamp post" or something like that. Or maybe we could bring in Hiram and make it "beer vs wings".

Yes, much more appropriate for the show!!!!!:D
Opalsns

firefighterjake
09-26-2008, 07:50 AM
. . .Or maybe we could bring in Hiram and make it "beer vs wings".

No debate there . . . if it was Hiram it would be beer all the way. Now if it was me on the other hand it would be wings . . . especially honey BBQ wings . . . but then again it wouldn't be much of a debate since I would have driven away with the wings in the back of the 4Runner leaving poor Hiram "stuck" with only the beer. ;):D

EvilHomer
09-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Mmmmmmmmmm............BEEEER!