View Full Version : The Next Maine Podcache?

NativeMainer
09-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Kacky and Katahdin Goddess are usually pretty punctual with this. I'm hoping everything is OK, but I'm starting to show withdrawl signs, too. :D

Gob-ler
09-06-2008, 09:06 AM
I think they are working on it now. Should be available shortly.

Kacky
11-03-2008, 03:35 AM
oops, I haven't been here in a while and didn't know anyone had noticed that some episodes have been late! That's quite a compliment!

Anyway, I am picking up a few more work responsibilities, so I'm looking at closing out on our 2-year anniversary, which would be January 15th. If anyone would like to take over and make it your own, you are more than welcome. Unfortunately I would not have time to train anyone on the technical aspects, so you're kind of on your own there.

There are still dozens of Maine cachers who should be profiled, so I feel kind of bad about dropping it before I get to everyone who's willing to be got. That's why it would be really neat if someone else wanted to pick up the ball.

NativeMainer
11-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Bummer. I always look forward to hearing your sweet, melodious voice twice a month. It almost always goes to the top of my queue of podcasts that I listen to (and I listen to a LOT of podcasts).

Part of me is saying "Hey, I'll do it!" Another part of me is saying, "Whoa, there. Full time job. Twin four year old girls. Wife. Certain aspirations and other responsibilities." Let me think on that one a bit. It would probably be a little easier with a co-host.

Kacky
11-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Aw, thanks for those kind words.

It can be a lot easier with a co-host, and there is a rumor that at least one sidekick is still willing and able.

And this just in - my class proposal was approved, so I will be teaching Introduction to Podcasting on Wednesdays from 6-9PM starting on February 4th at Edward Little High School. So even if you don't want to take over this podcast, if anyone wants to learn how to make your own, you can sign up! You don't have to live in Auburn. Their phone number is 784-9220.

Kacky
11-09-2008, 01:11 AM
After a weekend of soul-searching and some tears, I have decided to end it right now. I have been acting like a petulant, spoiled brat because I don't have time to do it the way I want to do it. I could put out a monologue twice a month but darn it, that was not my vision and I don't wanna! I do hope someone picks up from here. There are many Maine cachers and many Maine events that should be highlighted... just not by ME anymore.

attroll
11-09-2008, 01:27 AM
After a weekend of soul-searching and some tears, I have decided to end it right now. I have been acting like a petulant, spoiled brat because I don't have time to do it the way I want to do it. I could put out a monologue twice a month but darn it, that was not my vision and I don't wanna! I do hope someone picks up from here. There are many Maine cachers and many Maine events that should be highlighted... just not by ME anymore.
What about Katahdin Godess, wasn't she helping you out?

Katadin Goddess
11-09-2008, 02:32 AM
i cohost. period. kathy does all the technical work such as the editing, uploading, recording, organizing of interviews. it worked well for Kathy and me living near by. she has a new full time job and new events happening with dont allow time for all this. i also work 2 jobs and have other priorities that just keep me from being able to coordinate as a cohost with someone else from away if they are interested in taking over.

Mainiac1957
11-09-2008, 06:40 AM
The Maine Podcache was fun to listed to. KG added her quirky style for sure. I hope someone would be willing to do a new podcast, but it just won't be the same as what has been offed by Kacky and KG. Thanks for the time you put into it. :)

Team V3
11-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I too must thank the two of you for what you did. Though I am still relatively new to caching and the caching community, I did enjoy listening to the podcast and getting to know you both as well as the guest cachers who you took the time to interview. The fact that everyone had so much fun doing it came through with each podcast.

hollora
11-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Yes, thank you Kacky and KG for all you did to bring a local Maine podcast to listeners. Times and tides do change....but know, you will be missed. The very best to you as you journey down, yet another trail!

Kacky
11-09-2008, 02:40 PM
I think that what I have been trying to explain is, it does not take a lot of time, but it takes a lot of flexibility to do it my stubborn way. Interviews are half an hour to an hour long, but in order to get someone when they are free, you have to be able to get TO them. Every event has become a scramble for podcast material and keeps me from enjoying my friends. My segments with Elaine take about 10 minutes each, but which 10 minutes, out of a busy workweek? When we are out, she just wants to cache, and that is understandable. But our show, in my mind, requires 2 people and requires the interviews. Another person might have a live-in co-host or want to plan a whiz-bang show with just their own voice, or maybe they're comfortable setting up phone interviews. I just wasn't.

Kacky
11-10-2008, 02:38 PM
I just did a mock-up of a possible page design for the new podcast. Would someone like to open it and tell me how long it takes to load on your computer? I build my own templates and it's done in html, which I know is clunky. One of the first episodes will be how to design sites using CSS! The white section will be the podcast player and subscription buttons. I will probably move my bio to another page and free up some space for advertisers. My hosting guy hasn't enabled my domain name yet so I have it on a personal site. http://puffincentral.com/podcast.htm

mainesurveyor
11-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Took just under five seconds (tried twice and cleared cookies & cache between attempts) to load four elements with a dsl connection.

hide_from_the_kids
11-10-2008, 03:07 PM
i clicked and it was there no wait for me (less than a second). i too run dsl. for some people it would be slower but you got to take into account what type of processor they have and what type or how much ram they have. i imagine that with more added on it will take longer.

hollora
11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Am on cable for my internet - it took seconds! I'd call it a flash. Very nice.

Oh - and I have no idea about the RAM and gigs and all that - it just works!

mainesurveyor
11-10-2008, 03:17 PM
...for some people it would be slower but you got to take into account what type of processor they have and what type or how much ram they have...

True enough...I tried it on an old machine here at work running a 1.20 GHz AMD processor with 752 Mb RAM and Windows XP (service pack 1). The web browser was also not the only program using processor time and memory.

--Mike.

Kacky
11-10-2008, 06:15 PM
I had a good response with my mom's dial-up as well, the text came on in a flash and the pictures in 5 seconds. Thanks you guys!

Team V3
11-11-2008, 11:16 AM
A little late but I got the page pretty much instantly. Nice design :)

Kacky
11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Thank you! I know the template designs usually have rounded edges and stuff but I am trying to keep images to a minimum, for our friends on dial-up.

Ekidokai
11-19-2008, 03:11 AM

As soon as I figure this out I might give this a go.

Cache Maine
11-19-2008, 10:28 PM
That would be awesome!

NativeMainer
11-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Want help? I don't know a thing about podcasting, other than listening to a bunch, but I'm willing to try.

Kacky
11-25-2008, 09:36 PM
If you decide to do it, send a courtesy message to Bass_chaz in New Hampshire, because he is considering turning his podcast into a regional one that would include Maine. If you decide not to start a new Maine one, consider joining his. I know that if he did it, he would like to have correspondents sending in audio all the time. Either way, it would help him to know what your intentions are.

NativeMainer
11-26-2008, 12:00 AM
If you decide to do it, send a courtesy message to Bass_chaz in New Hampshire, because he is considering turning his podcast into a regional one that would include Maine. If you decide not to start a new Maine one, consider joining his. I know that if he did it, he would like to have correspondents sending in audio all the time. Either way, it would help him to know what your intentions are.

Thanks. I've been corresponding with Ekidokai about doing the podcast. I started listening to his and a couple of other geocaching podcasts to get an idea of what to do in terms of content. I'm still at the "I'm way to busy but this looks like a neat thing to do, how can I do it" stage. I seem to have a bit of OCD in my personality. :D

Kacky
11-26-2008, 01:49 AM
Technically it isn't difficult at all. You just have to decide what kind of recording you want to do, and invest accordingly. I have a $20.00 Radio Shack microphone that plugs into the sound card of my computer, and I use Adobe Audition because I already had it for work. But there are lots of free editing applications you can download from websites. It takes a while to learn the editing programs - again, I had a jump on it because I do it for a living. But there are 12-year-olds making podcasts, so it can't be too hard to learn.

To record in the field, I use my ipod 1st-gen nano and the optional voiceMemo microphone, then synch to get the audio into itunes, and from there drag it into the editing program.

Team Horwich has access to a handheld digital recorder that I drool over, but it's a few hundred dollars as opposed to my $149.00 ipod and $60.00 mic attachment.

To record people on their phone or their home computer, I use Gizmo Project. It's like 1/3 of a cent per minute for a phone interview, and free if they are willing to download Gizmo onto their own computer.

After you get your show edited, you send it to a website. I have been using Libsyn because podcast hosting is all they do, and they take care of the RSS so that the listeners can subscribe and all that. They charge $5.00 a month fpr stirage and bandwidth.

I had email from Bass Chaz tonight and he's asking for an events segment but no interviews or tutorials, so that means this is still wide open!

Ekidokai
11-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks. I do like the idea of doing it as a freelance reporter type.

If NativeMainer wants to take the lead on heading up the podcache, I'm all for it also.

At this point I like the idea of letting Bass_chaz Do the hard work, as he has already got one going. I'll contribute to either Podcacher that wants my input.

I'll try and contact him.

Kacky
11-26-2008, 04:53 PM
I have never met a more generous group of people than the geocachers. Someone is always ready and willing to tell their stories for podcast. You will really enjoy that part, and I can do interviews from time to time as well.

NativeMainer
11-27-2008, 01:01 AM
At this moment, I'm probably about 75-80% certain that I'll do the podcast. I'm still mulling it over in my mind, but sometimes I can't seem to get it out of my head.

My life is rather hectic (full time job, my wife and I own an apartment building, twin four year old daughters, aspiring photographer and poker player and responsibilities to a religious group here in southern Maine) so I'd probably only do one podcast a month. And I'll probably start at the beginning of the year. Kacky's given me a couple of good ideas a couple of posts back, so I'll be exploring options more, plus I've been listening to other geocaching podcasts to get some ideas for content of a show.

If anyone has ideas, suggestions, I'll listen.

A cute story that relates to this thread: I was talking to my wife about a week or two ago. She knows I subscribe to a large number of podcasts. I told her that there was one about geocaching. Her response, "I'm not surprised." I then went on to tell here that the Maine Podcache was going off the air (so to speak) and that it was open for someone to pick it up and run with it (I was giving it some thought at this point). Her response, "So, are you going to do it?"

I love my wife! :D:D:D:D:D

Bass_Chaz
11-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Hello all...

I am Bass Chaz, the Host of the Granite State Geocaching Podcast. (right Now, anyway)

Living as close as I do to the Great State of Maine, and having done podcasts for well over a year now, I was saddened to learn that the Maine Podcache was no longer going to produce a show.
I come before you to offer an alternative...
A "NEW" Regional podcast covering NH, Maine and Vermont (as they dont seem to have one).
I desire YOUR input into this venture...

Name suggestions and the like...

I have had some input from others that would be willing to help and as I have the resources, knowledge and experience doing a Monthly podcast, I thought that we could expand the Geocaching based Experiences of all of us into one show that could cover so much more than a lone, State based podcast could.

Even though I host the Granite State Geocachers Community Forums, and have a Great Group of both Maine and NH Members (as well as ones overseas and around the United States!) are we NOT all about "Community"?
There are Forums now that cover Mass. NH, and Maine.. (Dont know about Vermont.. Im so far East..) but I think the Region needs a Geocaching media outlet (podcast) that is both informative, funny and topical for all of us listening, focusing on Events, Hunts, Interviews, News about the Sport/Obession, as well as spreading the word, both about caching as well as the right way and the wrong way (No ammo cans coverd with PC boards, or pipe bomb look alikes) to Geocache.
I appeciate the input..
Thank you, in advance and Happy Holidays..

brdad
11-27-2008, 09:09 AM
I think joining together on this is a great idea.

Medawisla
11-27-2008, 09:10 AM
whoo hoo! there was much rejoicing!! yeh....
tehehe It sounds like there are folks here interested in helping you on the Maine side of things. I'll be glad to put this bit of news in the next newsletter if you all finalize this plan, good luck!:cool:

Katadin Goddess
11-27-2008, 10:35 AM
wonderful idea and glad to see everyone coming together on it to keep it going or to try at least. Kacky truly has put lots and lots of her work, time and experience into organizing those podcasts for all to enjoy.

NativeMainer
11-27-2008, 07:25 PM
I've been listening to some of the Granite State Geocaching podcasts to get some ideas of what to put into a podcast. A tri-state geocaching podcast sounds like a great idea. I have some idea how to put a podcast together, but zero experience. I'm willing to follow your lead and contribute whatever I can.

Kacky
11-27-2008, 09:55 PM
You can also get all the past episodes of the Maine PodCache, until December 18th, if you want to hear what we were doing and improve on it! http://goddess.libsyn.com

NativeMainer
11-27-2008, 10:07 PM
I've listened to nearly every one, Kacky. I'm not sure how to improve what you've already done. I may be about a half a foot taller than you, but you're leaving behind some pretty big shoes to fill.

Kacky
11-27-2008, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't say that! I played pretty fast and loose with sound quality! And you know I'm only 4'-11", right?

NativeMainer
11-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Oops! I was sitting down when I met you at the MGA Coffee Break in Biddeford. I guess I'm over a foot taller than you, then. :o

Medawisla
01-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Well it's the month of procrastination for me...final week of work on the newsletter and I haven't started the podcache feature, so I'm reaching out for help!

I emailed Bass Chaz hoping to get some info about the Granite State podcache...

How is the collaboration between us and them going? Are we striving for a 3-state podcache?

Do you enjoy podcaches? Tell me what interests you, how you enjoy them, etc.

Tell me anything about podcasting :D

Ekidokai
01-18-2009, 02:55 PM
I have not done a thing with it yet.

NativeMainer
01-18-2009, 07:37 PM
I've been slightly overwhelmed over the past couple of months due to the holidays and a lot of family stuff (my father has been dealing with an as-of-yet undiagnosed heart condition, the cardiologist doesn't have much of a clue as to what the problem is). I haven't spoken to Chaz in a while, but I purchased a microphone that plugs into my computer, and I plan on getting a portable digital recorder. I'm more than happy to help Chaz with a regional podcast, as for the most part I haven't a frikkin' clue as to what to do.

I'm on vacation this week. I'm taking some time to decompress and have some minor surgery done (calcium buildup in the shoulder, doctor's office type surgery), so I'll have time to play around with the microphone a little more and I plan talk to Chaz and try to take it from there.

As a side note, I'm planning on doing some caching around Portland on Thursday(1/22), and I might be hooking up with a former co-worker who seems a little interested in seeing what I do. Anyone interested in joining in the fun?

Medawisla
01-18-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm on vacation this week. I'm taking some time to decompress and have some minor surgery done (calcium buildup in the shoulder, doctor's office type surgery), so I'll have time to play around with the microphone a little more and I plan talk to Chaz and try to take it from there.

As a side note, I'm planning on doing some caching around Portland on Thursday(1/22), and I might be hooking up with a former co-worker who seems a little interested in seeing what I do. Anyone interested in joining in the fun?

Decompression is a good thing! Thanks for the update! If you have a chance this week to send me a PM or post again here: just like to have a sentence or two about your excitement in helping with the endeavor and/or what you hope to explore in the process about geocaching...In the meantime, enjoy your little vacation! :cool:

NativeMainer
01-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Decompression is a good thing! Thanks for the update! If you have a chance this week to send me a PM or post again here: just like to have a sentence or two about your excitement in helping with the endeavor and/or what you hope to explore in the process about geocaching...In the meantime, enjoy your little vacation! :cool:

Okie dokie!

Ekidokai
01-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Okie dokie!

What? What?

NativeMainer
01-19-2009, 12:19 AM
I wanted to type in "Will Do" but the site would't allow me to post a message that has less than ten characters.

Medawisla
01-19-2009, 01:06 AM
What? What?

same charge to you, too :D tell me what you're excited about in contributing to the podcache or even just what you've enjoyed about the podcaches thus far. :cool:

Ekidokai
01-19-2009, 08:10 AM
same charge to you, too :D tell me what you're excited about in contributing to the podcache or even just what you've enjoyed about the podcaches thus far. :cool:

First to NativeMainer, you just said "Okie Dokie." That is what some of the great people on here call me, so I just had to respond like you where calling me. Just couldn't resist.

To Medawisla, I have done a lot of media. I can't believe that people are so interested in the things that I do. So I have a bunch of experience in this field.

I feel so blessed to have meet so many interesting people in this adventure we call "Geocaching". As soon as I can I want to go out and do some interviews with these most interesting people and find out what their stories are. I have some other ideas for contributions. Right now I have had some fanatical set backs and I'm having car troubles at the same time, so it might be a little while until I can get things taken care of.

NativeMainer
01-20-2009, 12:09 AM
First to NativeMainer, you just said "Okie Dokie." That is what some of the great people on here call me, so I just had to respond like you where calling me. Just couldn't resist.

I wasn't aware of that. I'll keep it in mind in future posts. Okie dokie? :D

Ekidokai
01-20-2009, 12:45 PM
What! What!

Medawisla
01-20-2009, 04:03 PM

I forgot about that! and I tried to respond...anyway, thanks for the post, hope things get in order for you, and everyone is always surprised that there is someone else just as interested in their talents and professions as they are. Geocaching Rocks!:D