View Full Version : public restrooms/garbage dumps

soapboxderbyfamily
09-06-2008, 11:58 PM
My wife and I have been hitting the caches hard in the last couple of weeks. This has been after a 2 year hiatus. The one thing we are finding deeply disturbing is the abundance of cache locations that are used either as a garbage dump or a public restroom. Today we encountered many caches that involved wading around either dumped trash or toilet paper. Are others finding this a problem or have we just been hitting some really bad locations?
soapboxderbyfamily

Hiram357
09-07-2008, 09:18 AM
My wife and I have been hitting the caches hard in the last couple of weeks. This has been after a 2 year hiatus. The one thing we are finding deeply disturbing is the abundance of cache locations that are used either as a garbage dump or a public restroom. Today we encountered many caches that involved wading around either dumped trash or toilet paper. Are others finding this a problem or have we just been hitting some really bad locations?
soapboxderbyfamily

sadly, it's a trend that's everywhere.... :mad:

Mapachi
09-07-2008, 04:27 PM
This is my all-time biggest pet peeve... Garbage Caches...I call them "Dump Pickers" I have cut myself on rusty metal and broken glass. I get ruffled and it shows in my logs. I think CITO is great, but I don't need it shoved down my throat.
I do think that after a cache is placed near a public spot, a "Cachers trail" starts to form. Muggles see the trail and think it leads to a area that others use for a toilet......"Why would a trail lead here?" So that isn't always the cache placer's fault.
Dump caches are the fault of the geocacher who plants them.

hollora
09-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Amen - I would hope if any of the folks seeking/finding my caches find such conditions or circumstances they would post it in their log.

Without that or a PM to the owner - they may not know (if it has occured since the cache was hidden) or certainly don't know of your observations. And for other caches - why not post it in your logs for them.

I reviewed a few of your past logs and see no indications of public restrooms or garbage dumps (maybe I just didn't catch the right caches - but your concern and observations should be right in the logs - IMHO).

Agree with Mapachi - no need to get injured caching. As for the Dumps - that again is an issue where maybe a needs maintenance post is appliciable (I am sure Maine Publisher might help is here). And the Geotrails leading to a toilet - someone starts it but I agree - that isn't always the Cache Placers fault.

hide_from_the_kids
09-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Oddly Enough We Have A Cache In Our Front Yard.we Also Have A Porta-potty Being Stored Here As Well. Our Down Stairs Neighbor Has Witnessed A Couple Of Cachers Using The Porta-potty Then Going For The Cache. He Found It Amusing.

hollora
09-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Interesting - ah, public restrooms at places like BURGER KING - and other places.........duhh. Fascinating. Sometimes I think the urge speaks when the facilities are available. Other times - who knows?!

dubord207
09-08-2008, 07:03 AM
I think the most common area for the outside-pooping-fringe-of-society types is the Park and Ride placement. I think Park and Rides are good spots for nanos as there's a safe place to pull over and grab a cache. But... it seems that once you venture into a more secluded area near the parking area that you bound to be visiting a biohazard site.

I think it would be good caching etiquette to move or archive caches that end up in this situation due to the actions of slobs. Maybe there needs to be an "attribute"symbol created for these type of placements. I think the artists in our group could probably come up with something appropriate?:)

fins2right
09-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Maybe I'm a little naive, I've seen some trash, but bathroom waste? Not yet! Yikes :eek:

Mainiac1957
09-08-2008, 03:40 PM
I myself had a cache in an area that was being used for a bathroom. I ended up archiving it.

EvilHomer
09-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Once again this page is logging me off in the middle of a post! >:( >:(

Anyway, someone tagged my DON BAYLOR cache in this manner. I used a ten foot stick to "Move" it.

firefighterjake
09-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Once again this page is logging me off in the middle of a post! >:( >:(

Anyway, someone tagged my DON BAYLOR cache in this manner. I used a ten foot stick to "Move" it.

This seems odd . . . if memory serves me correctly Don was quite a ways off the beaten path. I would find it hard to believe that a random hiker/ATVer/sledder would have made such a desposit.

darterkitfox
09-16-2008, 05:19 PM

Move what? The cache or the tag?

Hiram357
09-16-2008, 05:23 PM
This seems odd . . . if memory serves me correctly Don was quite a ways off the beaten path. I would find it hard to believe that a random hiker/ATVer/sledder would have made such a desposit.

it could've been a lucky shot, someone saw a somewhat geotrail and thought it be a good spot to make a deposit... :eek::rolleyes:

hide_from_the_kids
09-16-2008, 07:49 PM
it could be a new twist on the game. i would call it "ECL"

firefighterjake
09-17-2008, 05:33 AM
it could've been a lucky shot, someone saw a somewhat geotrail and thought it be a good spot to make a deposit... :eek::rolleyes:

I don't know . . . when I was there a couple months back there wasn't much of a geo trail . . . in fact I even got myself spun around a bit in the woods which is pretty unusual for me since I usally have a good innate sense of direction in the woods.

EvilHomer
09-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Move what? The cache or the tag?

The offending POOOO! :(