View Full Version : Unexpected Events While Geocaching

squishaholic
09-15-2008, 02:15 PM
(Without details PG-13 rating only) - I was caching last week to a cache location called American Chestnut in Rockport,Maine. I was on my way to a cache and I knew where I needed to go....I thought I was the only one out in the woods and cache area when I accidentally stumbled across a couple taking in some extra circular activities between me and the cache. I ended up leaving the site and claiming the cache as find and left a nice note on the windshield of the persons truck.

Do you have any stories that you are able to share when things unexpectedly turned or changed for you while out on a caching adventure
:eek:

It seems I have broken the golden rule and claimed the cache without finding it. Good News, I went back to this cache and found it on a rainy day (where it might be too cold to shed your clothes). There are several cache locations where I didnt find a cache and knew where it should have been....and did not claim the find. This was an unexpected situation for me...and thought it was a merited gesture to avoid any confrontations by claiming the cache since I knew where it was.

Sudonim
09-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Some people just REALLY love nature :D

dí76
09-15-2008, 02:55 PM
OMG!!!!! That was you that left the note on my truck.... I've been working out, did it show.:o

Just kidding, I have been shot at before while caching. Never stumbled across anything like that, had I, I would have staid.

firefighterjake
09-15-2008, 03:24 PM
(Without details PG-13 rating only) - I was caching last week to a cache location called American Chestnut in Rockport,Maine. I was on my way to a cache and I knew where I needed to go....I thought I was the only one out in the woods and cache area when I accidentally stumbled across a couple taking in some extra circular activities between me and the cache. I ended up leaving the site and claiming the cache as find and left a nice note on the windshield of the persons truck.

Do you have any stories that you are able to share when things unexpectedly turned or changed for you while out on a caching adventure
:eek:

Two words: Fitz Cache. ;):D:eek:

squishaholic
09-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Fitz Cache? was it the theme of the cache or the situation at the cache?

Haffy
09-15-2008, 04:29 PM
I think FFJ would probably rather privately PM you on that one....:eek:

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1865&highlight=Fitz+cache

hollora
09-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Oh yeah, the first year I started caching - Crockett Cove Cache near Stonington......just kept on walking and on my return trek met the couple on the trail headed in as I was headed out - they had a smile on their face. Funny thing - there as no vehicle parked where I parked. Well, I presume they were having a good day.......I found the cache, a beautiful area and if I had kids I would have just pushed them along.

WhereRWe?
09-15-2008, 06:15 PM
I've mentioned this before, but for the benefit of the newcomers...

I went out early one morning expecting to get a FTF on a local cache. I parked about 300 feet away, saw what looked like the cache owner's trail, and followed it until the trail disappeared. While looking around to try and find the trail again, I realized I was in the middle of a marijuana patch. Obviously not the trail to the cache!

:eek::eek:

dubord207
09-15-2008, 07:48 PM
I know that same spot, out in Albion, or N. Whitefield, or was it Lexington, maybe Minot. Finished the cache and almost ate myself to death going to the next one!:)

I've mentioned this before, but for the benefit of the newcomers...

I went out early one morning expecting to get a FTF on a local cache. I parked about 300 feet away, saw what looked like the cache owner's trail, and followed it until the trail disappeared. While looking around to try and find the trail again, I realized I was in the middle of a marijuana patch. Obviously not the trail to the cache!

:eek::eek:

darterkitfox
09-16-2008, 06:12 AM
I'm wondering how the cache could be claimed as a find without finding it. If I claimed a cache everytime there were people around (having sex or not) and I left the area, my numbers would double.

firefighterjake
09-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Fitz Cache? was it the theme of the cache or the situation at the cache?

Cache name . . . long story, short . . . it was at a rest stop outside of Ellsworth and I . . . well . . . uh . . . didn't realize that rest stops are sometimes used as meeting places for some folks.

firefighterjake
09-16-2008, 07:37 AM
I know that same spot, out in Albion, or N. Whitefield, or was it Lexington, maybe Minot. Finished the cache and almost ate myself to death going to the next one!:)

:D:D:D:D:D:D

firefighterjake
09-16-2008, 07:38 AM
I'm wondering how the cache could be claimed as a find without finding it. If I claimed a cache everytime there were people around (having sex or not) and I left the area, my numbers would double.

Agreed . . . well the part about not claiming the find unless the logbook was signed. Personal rule on my part. If I don't sign the log, no Smiley and ditto for folks doing my caches. I figure if I have to go back and don't claim the find due to amorous folks, wildlife, darkness or other reason it's just part of the game.

EvilHomer
09-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Cache name . . . long story, short . . . it was at a rest stop outside of Ellsworth and I . . . well . . . uh . . . didn't realize that rest stops are sometimes used as meeting places for some folks.

HAHAHAHAHAH @ JAKE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! NEVER wander too far away from the parking area of LAKE WOOD on MDI. You will encounter just exactly what you described. GET A ROOM PEOPLE! :mad:

squishaholic
09-16-2008, 11:13 AM
FYI: I did go back a few days later to claim the find. It looks like I broke the golden rule to caching.

firefighterjake
09-16-2008, 11:29 AM
FYI: I did go back a few days later to claim the find. It looks like I broke the golden rule to caching.

Nah . . . you went back later and found the cache, did the log and at the same time played the part of Cupid . . . or at least gave the amorous couple a story to tell their kid nine months from now. ;):D

firefighterjake
09-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Hey Squishaholic . . . seeing that you're living in Waldoboro . . . you don't happen to know a David Karas (or something like that . . . for some reason that doesn't sound quite right) . . . I think his parents owned a Christmas tree farm there . . . graduated from New England College with him.

squishaholic
09-16-2008, 01:06 PM
I dont know anyone by that name....but I can check my local phone book to see if anyone has that name and I could get back to you.

squishaholic
09-17-2008, 09:19 AM
I went back a few days later to claim it....I just didnt modify the date on my tracker online.

fins2right
09-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Where are you Caching????:eek::eek::eek: I have not ran into anyone having "relations" or going to the bathroom yet. What am I doing wrong?:confused:

Sudonim
09-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Where are you Caching????:eek::eek::eek: I have not ran into anyone having "relations" or going to the bathroom yet. What am I doing wrong?:confused:

Guess you're just not caching in the right areas!:p:p:eek:

fins2right
09-17-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm caching (and spending cash :( ) in Freeport saturday. Anything I should avoid?

Haffy
09-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Yeah LL. Bean, you won't get outta there without spending more than you can afford....:eek:

cachecrashers4
09-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Hey Squishaholic . . . seeing that you're living in Waldoboro . . . you don't happen to know a David Karas (or something like that . . . for some reason that doesn't sound quite right) . . . I think his parents owned a Christmas tree farm there . . . graduated from New England College with him.

I went to High School with David. Last time I saw him, about a year ago, he was continuing the family business selling trees and handmade wood products.

Team Richards
09-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Yeah LL. Bean, you won't get outta there without spending more than you can afford....:eek:
ahemm psst your affecting my pay check:D

firefighterjake
09-18-2008, 07:55 AM
I went to High School with David. Last time I saw him, about a year ago, he was continuing the family business selling trees and handmade wood products.

No kidding . . . small world, huh?

firefighterjake
09-18-2008, 07:57 AM

Give it time my friend . . . give it time . . . sooner or later you will be somewhere or see something going on in the great wide outdoors that you might rather not see.

Honestly, one of the more uncomfortable "sightings" for me was down in a Boston park . . . I didn't look too closely, but I think I came across a few folks shooting up as the folks left soon after I arrived and in the general vacinity there was several bent spoons with residue on it.

squishaholic
09-18-2008, 01:50 PM
I was caching a few weeks ago just off Route 17 towards Augusta at Sheepscott Boat Landing. My gps signal was off....and so I thought I would look around a stone wall and I ended up finding a homemade bong, a condom, and a bag of nuddie books all in the same area. The book had been in a bag and under a rock within the wall and I thought it was the cache. I did not claim the cache....but got a laugh with my wife wondering why the owner just didnt take mags with him.

EvilHomer
09-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Honestly, one of the more uncomfortable "sightings" for me was down in a Boston park . . . I didn't look too closely, but I think I came across a few folks shooting up as the folks left soon after I arrived and in the general vacinity there was several bent spoons with residue on it.

Freakin YEA! There are places around Bangor that I expect to see this. Its getting scary around here.

dubord207
09-18-2008, 04:19 PM
I'd stay away from the Salty Flats cache. Poor directions and MAJOR bushwacking required that is not in the description. :(

I'm caching (and spending cash :( ) in Freeport saturday. Anything I should avoid?