View Full Version : Stolen Cache - Parts Pieces - Whole Thing Gone

hollora
09-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Well, not feeling the need to totally have to tie down a cache in Orrington, I created a rather simple cache called the Historic TB & Geocoin Hotel - Maine Rose Series. It was fashioned similar to a cache I had done in downtown Chattanooga TN.

The one in Chattanooga had metal straps with a screw tightened up and run through the back of the metal box and it was attached it to a lamp post. Since I wasn't placing this in an urban setting and it was not visable from the road, I figured it would be safe to attach this to a 4" x 4" post and that post was in a post holder driven into the ground.

This cache was located slightly into the woods off a non-paved parking area of a building which is visited on occasion. Anyone going to the building would have no interest in the box and in most cases folks would barely notice it. In fact, several cachers had said it took them a minute to get the ah ha moment.

Anyway, the cache was visited by 2 cachers yesterday. By 7 PM this evening it was gone.:eek: Not part of it - the whole thing - post holder and all!:mad::mad::mad:

I am reporting this to the local police in the morning. I know a lot has been talked about in geocoins missing locally......but has anyone lost a whole cache?

In this case, I believe there was only one TB in the container. It appears all the other coins and bugs had been moved along. I am very sorry for Exotic Pet Man who was the owner of Lucky the TB.

Tomorrow afternoon, I am going to go check my Geocoin Emporium just in case this act was done because of TBs or Geocoins.

The cache was placed with the Landowners permission and they are as upset as I am about this theft. Hopefully, there is not a trend starting here.

Gob-ler
09-17-2008, 12:32 AM
That's a Bummer!

firefighterjake
09-17-2008, 05:28 AM
That's disappointing . . . I liked that cache. It was cute. Maybe someone needed the post for "firewood."

darterkitfox
09-17-2008, 05:29 AM
I'd also be upset that being a TB hotel, people were taking TB's and not putting any in it's place. Only one left? Sounds more like a TB Hostel.

hollora
09-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Actually I am happy, if it was going to be stolen there was only one bug in it. I reported it to the local police this AM. The answer was, "probably kids"..........and my answer was, "not the point". Since the Historical Society has given permission, I will try to figure out a way to attach the next one to a tree. That is, if, there is a next one.

EvilHomer
09-17-2008, 09:01 AM
:mad:Do we have a DISGRUNTLED cacher on our hands, stealing coins and caches?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::ma d::mad:

Cache Maine
09-17-2008, 09:03 AM
LA, I am sorry to hear this. That was such a cute idea. I hope it's not a trend either.

Opalsns
09-17-2008, 09:40 AM
I'd also be upset that being a TB hotel, people were taking TB's and not putting any in it's place. Only one left? Sounds more like a TB Hostel.

Hmmmm, taking TBs and not leaving one for the next cacher, hmmmm.
Reminds me of a thread ,several months back , reguarding cachers taking TBs and not leaving one for the next cacher, hmmm, who was that?:confused::confused:

LA, so sorry to hear.
Craftcacher took my Traveling Trout TB, it went 4 miles. They won't email me back and they're a member of GM. They live in Waterville area.
My Speed Racer TB went to one cache, Horseback, I think, , and the whole cache got muggled then replaced and the owner, who replaced it, didn't notify me it was gone.
My NICE ONE coin, the first and only coin I released went from, My cache, to a mailbox cache and after months of emailing the retrievers, they say they placed it in EMSDanels cache. NOT There!!!!
Now it seesms My TRASH TALKING TB, the one that you helprd me with, Hollora, is Missing also.
I think It's THIEVES!!!!! People who watch the GC site just to find coin caches in there area or near where the go vacationing!!!!and then go out and take the coins and caches that are placed. It seems there are alot in Maine.
Go read the dead and missing TB forum on GC. One lady found hers being auctioned off on Ebay !!!!!
Nothing Surprizes me anymore!!!! Seems TB will just be for Discovering from now on!!!!!!

OPALSNS!!!!

WhereRWe?
09-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Sheesh! Can't believe I'm saying this, but I gotta completely agree with you on this one, Opalsns! LOL! ;);)

kayaking loon
09-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Lois, I'm so sorry. That was a great cache and seemed so "permanent". Makes you wonder.....:(

fins2right
09-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Is the larger population area part of the blame? I was just in Boston last weekend (to watch the Sox lose 8-1 :mad:) I looked for 3 different caches and none of the were still there. It looks like there are not a lot of caches to be had. (North Boston has maybe 10, North Augusta has about 60) I've never tried urban caching before and I wonder if it's too hard to maintain.

hollora
09-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Is the larger population area part of the blame? I was just in Boston last weekend (to watch the Sox lose 8-1 :mad:) I looked for 3 different caches and none of the were still there. It looks like there are not a lot of caches to be had. (North Boston has maybe 10, North Augusta has about 60) I've never tried urban caching before and I wonder if it's too hard to maintain.

Well, population has nothing to do with this Orrington issue - we have 3,600 people at the most. Chatanooga TN is a large city and they were plenty down there (in place too).

fins2right
09-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Well, population has nothing to do with this Orrington issue - we have 3,600 people at the most. Chatanooga TN is a large city and they were plenty down there (in place too).
My fault, I guess I read your post wrong. I thought you were referring to the TN cache getting torn up. I always thought Orrington was filled with Doctors and Lawyers:). I guess you have a few fools as well. Not that lawyers wouldn't get drunk and tear posts out of the ground every once in a while. :D

hollora
09-17-2008, 05:44 PM
My fault, I guess I read your post wrong. I thought you were referring to the TN cache getting torn up. I always thought Orrington was filled with Doctors and Lawyers:). I guess you have a few fools as well. Not that lawyers wouldn't get drunk and tear posts out of the ground every once in a while. :D

I'm more inclined to think it's a kid who belongs to a doctor or lawyer. If someone took it for their electrical project - unless they are putting in an Air Conditioner they are in for a surprise = wrong kind of box. LOL

ltlindian
09-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Orrington? I used to live in Orrington a long time ago. My dad built a bunch of stuff there. The general store at the blinking light, the hardware/lumber store next to it that's something else now and a bunch of houses down that road and all the houses on the road on the other side of the store. He has since downsized and moved to FL.

dubord207
09-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Not a great idea to stereotype anybody in particular on this site. It will surprise you the diversity of the folks who play this game and play it according to the rules. Even this lawyer, by way of example. In all groups, there are good and bad. I've represented priests, mayors and yes, even police officers, all who have run afoul of the law. Whoever is ripping up the caches suffers from some mental disorder or is just another idiot who has nothing better to do with his or her life then destroy things. Like LA (hollora), I have already lost a few TB's and geocoins to the dark side but I won't let that stop me from playing within the rules of the game, and common sense. Just submitted 5 new caches today. Some have some very decent goodies, even a new MP3 player. I hope all these things end up in a good place but if they don't, I'll keep playing.

But if you have a good lawyer "joke", let's hear it! I love 'em all!:)

Haffy
09-17-2008, 07:06 PM
But if you have a good lawyer "joke", let's hear it! I love 'em all!:)

A man went to a brain store to get some brain to complete a study. He sees a sign remarking on the quality of professional brain offerred at this particular brain store. He begins to question the butcher about the cost of these brains.

"How much does it cost for engineer brain?"

"Three dollars an ounce."

"How much does it cost for programmer brain?"

"Four dollars an ounce."

"How much for lawyer brain?"

"$1,000 an ounce."

"Why is lawyer brain so much more?"

"Do you know how many lawyers we had to kill to get one ounce of brain?"

I'm sure you've heard em all though Dan,,, ;)

fins2right
09-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Dan, I knew I'd get a response from that. Where did you say the MP3 player was? :D :D :D

hollora
09-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Orrington? I used to live in Orrington a long time ago. My dad built a bunch of stuff there. The general store at the blinking light, the hardware/lumber store next to it that's something else now and a bunch of houses down that road and all the houses on the road on the other side of the store. He has since downsized and moved to FL.

Interesting and a small World - there is a little plaza across from that store (which is now a Mobil on the Run) now. We even have a Dunkin' Donuts. Lots of building down here and loads of new houses in mid to high 6 figures. Everyone likes out school and "choice" of high school - plus - low taxes for the area.

darterkitfox
09-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Hmmmm, taking TBs and not leaving one for the next cacher, hmmmm.
Reminds me of a thread ,several months back , reguarding cachers taking TBs and not leaving one for the next cacher, hmmm, who was that?:confused::confused:
OPALSNS!!!!

You don't like me and I don't like you, that much is clear. But there is a big difference between a TB HOTEL where most people just want TB's in it, and a cache that has 3 in it and they have been sitting there for 6 months. If you ever come across 2 of my TB's in a cache, please take them both and move them to a new cache or two so I will get a pleasing email to see that they have moved and I can track them. It's not like I collect TB's and take them to events just to show. When I take one or more out of cache (with either a trade for TB's, swag, or cash) I place them in a new cache within a week. How is this not leaving any for other people? I thought the point of TB's was to travel. Isn't that what the T stands for. Whether it be in one cache or another, they are available to find. I just left a TB in a cache and when I came home to log it, I saw that in 12 months time, only 3 people had been to that cache. How long do you think that TB is going to sit? Winter is coming and the cache isn't located with 5 others nearby. I hope for the TB owners sake, someone like me comes along and takes it and any others in the cache and moves them. I did notice at a cache on the turnpike last year at the pirate event, someone with the initials BB that you might know, took a TB out of the cache and left nothing. When I went back to the computer log later to copy it, the log had been deleted. I wonder what that was about?

hollora
09-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Since I started this thread, I will comment here.

When I placed my Geocoin Emporium and TB Hotel (a while ago and not the cache effected by the theft! I checked and fortunately, as of today, the Emporium container is still in place.) - I fashioned it after one in New Brunswick Canada. I asked for a one for one trade (TB for TB, TB for Coin, Coin for Coin, Coin for TB - well, you get it). Little did I know that these types of caches are actually called Coin or TB Jails!

You can call it a hotel, emporium or what you like, but, if to take a trackable (coin or TB) you have to leave one - the larger community (those on the Geocaching.com forums) call this a jail. To be honest, this requirement or type of jail is not well thought of.

Darterkitfox is right on here, IMHO. I have redone my thinking and none of my caches do I ask for, or expect, if you take a TB/coin that you leave one any more. The only think I do expect is for it to be logged properly and as promptly as is practical! And moved on as soon as practical and possible, too.

Now - this thread was about a cache where the whole container was taken. It's intent was to give folks a heads up, in case this is not an isolated case. Perhaps because this was a hotel it had something to do with it - but, I think probably not.

I, personally, don't support people bringing personal TBs to an event to discover. What's the point, for the owner or the discoverer? I do discover TBs at events, but, it is because they are on the road and unique or cute. If you brought a bucket full of personal ones like a tin of coins, I probably would not bother. I do discover coins for the icons......and understand why folks do not release all their coins. I release coins but they are usually duplicates of what I have. Have also learned to drill them and attach a mission tag.

With all the above being said - we have nearly chewed the issues over here. Unless someone has something to post about missing caches we can probably leave the TBs and coin discussion for another thread.

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments.

Opalsns
09-17-2008, 08:16 PM
You don't like me and I don't like you, that much is clear. But there is a big difference between a TB HOTEL where most people just want TB's in it, and a cache that has 3 in it and they have been sitting there for 6 months. If you ever come across 2 of my TB's in a cache, please take them both and move them to a new cache or two so I will get a pleasing email to see that they have moved and I can track them. It's not like I collect TB's and take them to events just to show. When I take one or more out of cache (with either a trade for TB's, swag, or cash) I place them in a new cache within a week. How is this not leaving any for other people? I thought the point of TB's was to travel. Isn't that what the T stands for. Whether it be in one cache or another, they are available to find. I just left a TB in a cache and when I came home to log it, I saw that in 12 months time, only 3 people had been to that cache. How long do you think that TB is going to sit? Winter is coming and the cache isn't located with 5 others nearby. I hope for the TB owners sake, someone like me comes along and takes it and any others in the cache and moves them. I did notice at a cache on the turnpike last year at the pirate event, someone with the initials BB that you might know, took a TB out of the cache and left nothing. When I went back to the computer log later to copy it, the log had been deleted. I wonder what that was about?

What??????? I NEVER said I didn't like you nor EVER said anything bad about you OR your Wife. The reference was to your Personal reply to me for saying THEN what YOU just said now.
Awful Defensive for some reason, about a 9 on the TENSION scale.
And VERY CHILDISH , trying to drag my Bubba Bass into this FOOLISH disagreement. I don't know what your reading but I'm going to check.
I would advise you to Grow Up and AVOID me and mine!!!!!!!!

OPALSNS

Sumo TBZGXP out of NAB A TRAVEL BUG was moved by my brother and discovered by BubbaBass . What's deleted.

dubord207
09-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Nice to interject a good lawyer joke to this tread. Some are not playing nice!

A man went to a brain store to get some brain to complete a study. He sees a sign remarking on the quality of professional brain offerred at this particular brain store. He begins to question the butcher about the cost of these brains.

"How much does it cost for engineer brain?"

"Three dollars an ounce."

"How much does it cost for programmer brain?"

"Four dollars an ounce."

"How much for lawyer brain?"

"$1,000 an ounce."

"Why is lawyer brain so much more?"

"Do you know how many lawyers we had to kill to get one ounce of brain?"

I'm sure you've heard em all though Dan,,, ;)

dubord207
09-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Marvin's Marsh cache. Off the Reed Road in Windsor. Tat will probably publish it within the hour. Nice walk. Go for it!:)

Dan, I knew I'd get a response from that. Where did you say the MP3 player was? :D :D :D

d’76
09-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Two peanuts were walking down the street and one was "a salted"

Team Richards
09-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Got me laughing:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hiram357
09-17-2008, 08:44 PM

two penuts were walking down the street and one stole breakfast... :D

dubord207
09-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Always a good idea to interject a bit of humor when the natives starting getting restless!:)

fins2right
09-17-2008, 08:56 PM
I think the booze took ahold a little early tonight. :) I quote firefighterjake "everyone relax and take a deep breath....." To start a different note: Opalsns, who designed the coin that you show as an avatar, and what happened to the one with the crow holding the TB? I love the designs.

fins2right
09-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Did he file a complaint??:confused:

Opalsns
09-17-2008, 11:08 PM
I think the booze took ahold a little early tonight. :) I quote firefighterjake "everyone relax and take a deep breath....." To start a different note: Opalsns, who designed the coin that you show as an avatar, and what happened to the one with the crow holding the TB? I love the designs.

Cachin' Crow is a painting I did last year after my brother introduced me to Caching. We designed the Cachin' Crow Geocoin from that painting.
Our feather and retro moon design is on the back side of the coin. Thank for your interest!!!!:o

team moxiepup
09-17-2008, 11:09 PM
We are sorry to hear that your cache was muggled. We lost one twice...as the first time the ammo can fell apart and they just left it there but the swag was missing. We rehid the ammo can in a much better spot or so we thought and it wet missing again.. this time the ammo can also disappeared. We didn't replace it afer that[:(]
We are almost positive that it was some local kids.
Hopefully yours was an isolated case and not a local trend.

Foxgloves
09-18-2008, 06:03 AM
For Everyones Safety

Put the mouse down….
step away from the computer........
and no one will get hurt............

(ok so this might have been funnier if it had come from one of the cops on our forum but you get the jist) :rolleyes:

I think its time we start implementing the new “Lock the Thread Tool” on the forum. Every cacher who starts a thread will be responsible for making sure it does not get out of hand.

And it might not be a bad idea to add another new tool to the forum as well…a “Warning Meter” to each and every profile. Only the moderators of this forum would be able to attach a strike to your profile if they felt it was warranted. 3 Strikes and you are banned from the forum for a week (or whatever)….rules to be made up ahead of time and then posted)

If everyone could keep in mind that it is ONLY A GAME.
There are so many other important things in life to get upset over.

Maybe people ought to read the posting guidelines again….

The following will not be tolerated:

Criticism
Deliberate criticizing of cachers, caches, cache types, other organizations, other individuals.
Foul Language
Most obvious foul words are blocked by the software. Insinuating foul language is the same as saying it.
Obscenity
Written, verbal, or visual works or conduct that treat sex in an objectionable or lewd manner. What may not be obscene to one person, may be to another, therefore it will be considered offensive if outside the accepted standards of decency.
Personal Attacks
Finger pointing that has the potential to lead to upsetting or provoking another individual.
Personal Issues
Publicly airing personal issues between individuals
Flaming
Sending or posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting or for long, intensive and heated discussions, even though insults do not occur.
Sock Puppets
An account made by a person who already has a known account solely for the purpose of posting anonymously.
Commercial Postings/Solicitations
Advertisements for products that benefit you financially in any way without the permission of Geocaching Maine; messages that offer or discuss pirated software/media/links to other such sites that offer it or discuss p2p sites/methods.
Posting of Copyrighted Material
Items or articles including text, images, graphics or other artwork unless owned by you.
Sensitive Topics
Topics that are vulgar, sexually harassing, racially offensive or in any way discriminatory. Avoid additional sensitive topics such as ethnic slurs, hate speech, religion, politics, professions.
Drug References
Discussions related to the distribution, growing, cutting, manufacture of drugs.
Inapprorpriate User Names
Use of names that are offensive or vulgar.
Impersonating
Imitates or copying the behavior (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavior) or actions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actions) of another person or Maine Geocaching.

firefighterjake
09-18-2008, 07:41 AM

I was rather surprised to find so few caches in Boston when I went there on a Conference . . . I figured with a greater population there would be a greater amount of caches . . . but that just wasn't the case.

firefighterjake
09-18-2008, 07:45 AM

Oh, that one was just plain bad.

firefighterjake
09-18-2008, 07:45 AM
two penuts were walking down the street and one stole breakfast... :D

This doesn't even make sense . . . next thing you know you'll be doing that whale joke again. ;):D

firefighterjake
09-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Hollora . . . please don't give up on the historical building cache. I loved it. Neat idea. Neat place to see. I would love to see the cache return . . . and I refuse to think it would be a malicious cacher (call me naive, but I honestly believe most cachers are pretty good and conscientious).

And now some good news and positive chi . . . or whatever it's called . . .

Last night I was attending a local meeting on heating safety/solutions and after the meeting was done a woman approached me to ask me if I was a geocacher . . . turns out that her 11-year-old son has started geocaching and since he did a few of my caches he looked up my profile . . . short story long, she figured out that the Firefighterjake in the profile who works at BFD was probably the same guy wearing the BFD t-shirt at the meeting.

Well, here's the good news. Turns out the kid was out caching with a friend and they found a cache. The cacher did the trade-for-trade deal, but his friend simply took a bunch of swag and only dropped in a few rocks that he found nearby . . . poor kid was appalled with his friend's actions and the mom said he wanted me to know that it wasn't him and that he was pretty upset with his friend. I gave her my e-mail, this site's web address (she said he had a few questions) and then assured her that it was OK since there are adults that do the very same thing . . . and added that I thought it was pretty commendable that he wanted to do the right thing.

masterson of the universe
09-18-2008, 09:18 AM
I had my Fake Trees Need Water Too cache stolen recently as well after only 4 days out there but I think that was due to it being an urban cache in a high traffic area. It was a fake sprinkler head in a garden so it wouldn't have been something a muggle would have even noticed. It stinks regardless of where the cache is to have it up and disappear and even more frustrating to have a coin or TB disappear.

EvilHomer
09-18-2008, 10:28 AM
I think its time for me to unretire my SWEET TRAIL JUSTICE stick. What do you think Jake?

firefighterjake
09-18-2008, 12:18 PM
I had my Fake Trees Need Water Too cache stolen recently as well after only 4 days out there but I think that was due to it being an urban cache in a high traffic area. It was a fake sprinkler head in a garden so it wouldn't have been something a muggle would have even noticed. It stinks regardless of where the cache is to have it up and disappear and even more frustrating to have a coin or TB disappear.

Interesting . . . that was an unique cache too. :mad:

firefighterjake
09-18-2008, 12:18 PM
I think its time for me to unretire my SWEET TRAIL JUSTICE stick. What do you think Jake?

Dig 'er out EH . . . besides sledding season is just around the corner so you might as well warm 'er up.

EvilHomer
09-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Dig 'er out EH . . . besides sledding season is just around the corner so you might as well warm 'er up.

Adding a few new spikes now as we speak! :) How do I get the fresh ones to rust up nice and brown in a hurry? :P I also need a new layer of barbed wire too. :rolleyes:

fins2right
09-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Well, here's the good news. Turns out the kid was out caching with a friend and they found a cache. The cacher did the trade-for-trade deal, but his friend simply took a bunch of swag and only dropped in a few rocks that he found nearby . . . poor kid was appalled with his friend's actions and the mom said he wanted me to know that it wasn't him and that he was pretty upset with his friend. I gave her my e-mail, this site's web address (she said he had a few questions) and then assured her that it was OK since there are adults that do the very same thing . . . and added that I thought it was pretty commendable that he wanted to do the right thing.
I get a chance to work with kids everyday at Messalonskee High School. We have almost 900 kids and out of that 840 are just awesome. You can imagine what the other 40+ can be like. :D:rolleyes::eek:

d’76
09-18-2008, 05:35 PM
I get a chance to work with kids everyday at Messalonskee High School. We have almost 900 kids and out of that 840 are just awesome. You can imagine what the other 40 can be like. :D:rolleyes::eek:

Do you take the kids from school caching. We are working on an awesome project to get the kids out doing this stuff

fins2right
09-18-2008, 07:15 PM
My wife (who teaches Chemistry at MHS) and I have batted around the idea of a cache for her homeroom kids. There is a nice series of trails in behind the high school that would be perfect. The greedy side of me is also thinking of placing a night cache in the same area. I have seen a few classes in the Brewer area place caches and check on them for class projects. So the idea is out there. One of the schools adventure clubs have gone hiking along the Messalonskee stream trail in town and grabbed the 7 caches there, and I just discovered that one of our math teachers and I traded FTF's this year. (Shapoopok) I think that we are all going to brainstorm over the winter and try to take some students on a hike/cache run in the spring.

ltlindian
09-18-2008, 07:45 PM
I am taking my Girl Scout troop hiking and caching after a hay ride and pumpkin lesson at Wolfe's Neck Farm in Freeport in October. Both my co-leader and I are crazy for caching and we want to take the opportunity to find those caches and show the girls too! Hopefully, they will like it.

EMSDanel
09-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey Lois-Ann....... You can place a film canister, ammo can, anything, and when it disappears, I'm sure it's disappointing. But the one you're talking about was one you put quite a bit of effort into, very creative. What a shame. And it's not like you can put up a poster in the town office that says "Have you seen this cache?" Hopefully it won't happen again.

fins2right
09-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Hey Lois-Ann....... You can place a film canister, ammo can, anything, and when it disappears, I'm sure it's disappointing. But the one you're talking about was one you put quite a bit of effort into, very creative. What a shame. And it's not like you can put up a poster in the town office that says "Have you seen this cache?" Hopefully it won't happen again.
It would be funny to see a "missing" poster and all the muggles scratching thier heads wondering what was up.:)

Haffy
09-20-2008, 01:20 PM
I think that we are all going to brainstorm over the winter and try to take some students on a hike/cache run in the spring.

Why wait til spring? Fall is one of the best times to go caching,no bugs,very little leaf cover and great weather. Now is the time to get them interested. JMO.

WhereRWe?
09-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Why wait til spring? Fall is one of the best times to go caching,no bugs,very little leaf cover and great weather. Now is the time to get them interested. JMO.

We've had our first frost, but there were still a LOT of bugs out there today while I was cutting firewood. Do the aligators and rattlesnakes hibernate in the winter down there, Haffy? ;);)