View Full Version : Hunting Season

Team2hunt
10-15-2008, 10:14 AM
The hunting season is once again upon us and everyone needs to be prepared for being out in the woods. I am hoping to remind you, how early the season really starts and that there is someone out there in the woods hunting something other than ammo cans and tupperware.

Here are the links for Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire. Maybe we could add an icon to the front page to remind everyone to wear blaze orange this time of year.

Vermont http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/Cal...terange=future (http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/Calendar_of_events.cfm?eventcat=hunt&daterange=future)

Maine http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting_tra...imits_2008.htm (http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting_trapping/hunting/dates_limits_2008.htm)

New Hampshire http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunt...nd_seasons.htm (http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunting_dates_and_seasons.htm)

hide_from_the_kids
10-15-2008, 08:29 PM
i like the idea of the reminder icon.

fins2right
10-15-2008, 08:49 PM
I wore a bright orange hunting hat in New Hampster last weekend. I'm not sure what the season is over there, but I do know that it's that much closer to Mass. hunters:) :mad: :confused:

Team2hunt
10-16-2008, 10:53 AM
I have loaded my orange clothing into the truck today. It is now archery season in Maine and Bear season in Vermont. A little common sense goes a long way this time of year. If you hear shots when you get out of your vehicle, you might want to pick a different area. And if when you pull in to the parking area, there are several trucks parked with empty gun racks in the rear window, they are probably out there where you are headed.

And please remember to place the appropriate icon, no hunting in the area, or a warning message on your cache page, that it is now hunting season and to wear orange when in the area.

I have a Remington vest and it works great for caching, as it is "loaded" with pockets for caching stuff.

Youth hunting day in Maine is on Saturday October 25th, just a week away.

I copied this from the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife website. It is the section on who and how much orange you MUST wear. Not every hunter is required to wear orange, it depends upon the season.

Waterfowl Hunters: are not affected by the provisions below while hunting from a boat, blind, or in conjunction with waterfowl decoys.
Firearms Season on Deer: Anyone who hunts any species with a firearm or crossbow during any firearms season on deer (also on Youth Deer Day) must wear two articles of hunter orange clothing. One article must be a solid-colored hunter orange hat; the other must cover a major portion of the torso, such as a jacket, vest, coat or poncho and must be a minimum of 50% hunter orange in color (camouflage).
Moose Hunting Season: Anyone who hunts any species with a firearm or crossbow in a Wildlife Management District that is open to moose hunting must wear one article of solid-colored hunter orange clothing (hat or clothing) except in the 4 WMD’s (15, 16, 23 & 26) open during deer season. All laws pertaining to deer hunting apply to Moose hunters during that season.
Muzzle-loading Season on Deer: The hunter orange clothing requirements listed above under the firearms hunting season on deer apply.
Expanded and Special Archery Seasons on deer: Hunter orange clothing is not required.
Bear and Bird Hunters: ONLY required when hunting during the firearms hunting season on deer, the muzzleloading season on deer, or within an open moose hunting district during moose hunting season.Articles of Hunter Orange Clothing must be in good and serviceable condition and visible from all sides. A decal on an article of clothing that is otherwise solid-colored hunter orange does not disqualify that article of clothing from satisfying the requirements of this subsection. HUNTER ORANGE means a daylight fluorescent orange color with a dominant wave length between 595 and 605 nanometers, excitation purity not less than 85% and luminance factor of not less than 40%.

dubord207
10-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Informative post by Team2Hunt. While a lot of deer hunting is done in areas that are just as "open" to geocachers as hunters, everybody is well advised to avoid a confrontation. The argument that " we have as much right to be in these woods as you do" won't be well received. The regular rifle season lasts only a month so let's give the deer hunters their space and keep the peace. I'll be one of those guys in orange, hopefully just for the first day, although because of this new found addiction, I haven't done any scouting this year. We'll see. :)

WhereRWe?
10-16-2008, 05:29 PM
I have loaded my orange clothing into the truck today. It is now archery season in Maine and Bear season in Vermont.

Also moose season in this area. :D:D

(Until dusk tomorrow, that is...)

fins2right
10-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Upland Bird hunting as well, started Oct. 1st. I don't really know much about deer hunting, but have been bird hunting for about 10 years now. Most of the time, it's in a truck heater hunting. I do not see much likelyhood for confrontations with bird hunters.... but I never try to push my luck with someone who outguns me :)

firefighterjake
10-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Informative post by Team2Hunt. While a lot of deer hunting is done in areas that are just as "open" to geocachers as hunters, everybody is well advised to avoid a confrontation. The argument that " we have as much right to be in these woods as you do" won't be well received. . . .

My Uncle learned that the hard way . . . and the rub of it was that the "hunters" (I really don't consider them hunters . . . more like out-of-state thugs armed with guns) were hunting on his property without permission.

Medawisla
10-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Great thread topic T2H! It'll most likely be featured in the November Newsletter. Yeah, it would have been good for the October one, but it's still important because some seasons extend into Feb or Mar of 2009!
Thanks for posting!
And others, keep posting hunting season tips for geocachers. :D

Team2hunt
10-18-2008, 09:51 AM
I decided to pull a pocket query this morning, to see how many caches in Maine had the "hunting icon" http://www.geocaching.com/images/attributes/hunting-yes.gif listed on the cache page. I searched all Maine caches that are active, and the PQ only had 139 caches in the search.

I will have to revisit my own caches to see if there is hunting allowed in the area, and edit my page if necessary. I would ask that if you know the area where you placed your cache, allows hunting to do the same and utilize the icon.

When editing the attributes of your cache page you can only select that hunting is allowed in the area. You would need to write in your page description that,

Hunting is NOT allowed in the area of the cache

This might make your find more appealing to those who know it is hunting season.

WhereRWe?
10-18-2008, 06:56 PM
I decided to pull a pocket query this morning, to see how many caches in Maine had the "hunting icon" http://www.geocaching.com/images/attributes/hunting-yes.gif listed on the cache page. I searched all Maine caches that are active, and the PQ only had 139 caches in the search.

I will have to revisit my own caches to see if there is hunting allowed in the area, and edit my page if necessary. I would ask that if you know the area where you placed your cache, allows hunting to do the same and utilize the icon.

When editing the attributes of your cache page you can only select that hunting is allowed in the area. You would need to write in your page description that,

Hunting is NOT allowed in the area of the cache

This might make your find more appealing to those who know it is hunting season.

Sheesh! Why do I have the feeling that Team2HUNT is NOT a hunter? LOL!

:p:p

Team2hunt
10-18-2008, 07:11 PM
When I was growing up I used to hunt while living in Casco, next to what was then one of the largest deer herds in Maine. I was about 20 when one day I had a shot just miss me and hit a very nearby tree. It was a young man from out of state that had been separated from his hunting party. His bright idea was to squeeze off a shot so they could find him. They found him just before I was ready to strangle him. Accidents happen almost every year in the woods to someone while they are out hunting, and sometimes to innocent by-standers. Remember the woman that was shot while out hanging her laundry. Some please correct me if I am wrong here, but didn't that accident lead to the law that you cannot hunt within 1000' of a house. I just don't want anyone from the geocaching community to get hurt, or worse.

I have nothing against anyone who does choose to hunt. :)

Thanks, Bruce. For asking. ;)

WhereRWe?
10-18-2008, 07:20 PM
I used to be an avid hunter, mainly because I accompanied my Dad, and we had some great times together. I haven't hunted in a couple of years, and I think this is the first year I didn't even get a license. At age 86, my Dad doesn't hunt much anymore, and I can get great steaks at Hannaford or the local Sure Fine grocer cheaper than what it costs to have a deer butchered.

I'm glad that Maine requires "hunter safety" training before kids are allowed to get a license, but I wonder what other states require - and what Maine requires for "out of state" licenses. :eek::eek:

fins2right
10-18-2008, 08:23 PM
As for the training required for out of state licenses, I'm not sure. All instate hunters are required to prove that they attended a hunters safety course. You are not allowed to hunt within 300' of a residence. You are not allowed to shoot over or within 50 yards of a public way. And not to really kick the hornets nest, but Maine averages one fatal hunting accident every two years. Maine averages 15 fatal snowmobile accidents every year. (www.maine.gov/difw (http://www.maine.gov/difw)) That being said, I'm saving up for two snowmobiles!! (Just don't let my wife know, it's easier to apologize than ask permission :) )Wear a little orange, make lots of noise, I think that we will all be fine.

d’76
10-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Maine averages 15 fatal snowmobile accidents every year. (www.maine.gov/difw (http://www.maine.gov/difw)) That being said, I'm saving up for two snowmobiles!! (Just don't let my wife know, it's easier to apologize than ask permission :)

HAving a camp on a norhtern lake that is the connector for many ITS trails, I see alot of sledders go by the camp at mach speeds. Its a wonder there arent more deaths. I would rather take my risk with a gun nut anyday over a crazy dangerous sledder.

brdad
10-18-2008, 09:37 PM
One of my theories is that any hunter who is dumb enough to shoot on impulse at a target he/she was unsure of is dumb enough to hunt in areas and at times not allowed for hunting anyway.

I heard an announcement on the radio the other day I found interesting as well. They were giving hunting tips for firearm season and suggesting that you walk in off a busy road until it's just out of sight and look for deer trails there. They claimed most bow hunters don't hunt those areas and the deer are used to the road noise so they would not be so easily spooked.

firefighterjake
10-20-2008, 08:12 AM
As for the training required for out of state licenses, I'm not sure. All instate hunters are required to prove that they attended a hunters safety course. You are not allowed to hunt within 300' of a residence. You are not allowed to shoot over or within 50 yards of a public way. And not to really kick the hornets nest, but Maine averages one fatal hunting accident every two years. Maine averages 15 fatal snowmobile accidents every year. (www.maine.gov/difw (http://www.maine.gov/difw)) That being said, I'm saving up for two snowmobiles!! (Just don't let my wife know, it's easier to apologize than ask permission :) )Wear a little orange, make lots of noise, I think that we will all be fine.

I would be curious to know the ratio of hunters and sledders though . . . total number of hunters: fatalities to the total number of sledders: fatalities. I would suspect that there are a lot more sledders than hunters which may account for the higher numbers . . . then if you factor in the longer "season" for sledding.

. . . That being said, I'm saving up for two snowmobiles!! (Just don't let my wife know, it's easier to apologize than ask permission :)). . .

Ah . . . I believe Hiram believes in this philosophy as well. ;):D

Hiram357
10-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Ah . . . I believe Hiram believes in this philosophy as well. ;):D

whaddya mean???? I have nothing to apologize for....

and if you want to buy an ATV or sled don't go with jake, he'll make you buy everything in sight! :rolleyes::rolleyes::p

BTW Jake, since this thread is about the huntin topic, you mentioned before the trails in thorndike/unity close to ATVs during hunting season (but open on sundays) when do they close, and are they still usable to gain access to the caches on those trails (without using an atv?)

firefighterjake
10-21-2008, 07:47 AM
whaddya mean???? I have nothing to apologize for....

and if you want to buy an ATV or sled don't go with jake, he'll make you buy everything in sight! :rolleyes::rolleyes::p

BTW Jake, since this thread is about the huntin topic, you mentioned before the trails in thorndike/unity close to ATVs during hunting season (but open on sundays) when do they close, and are they still usable to gain access to the caches on those trails (without using an atv?)

God love ya Hiram . . . incidentally how come there is no story of Sunday's ride . . . I've gotta live vicariously through you right now while I'm working like a madman winterizing the house, renovating the house and getting in my firewood.

Incidentally, in another few weeks I should have every other weekend more or less free for riding . . . or we can mount our one final cache adventure with Medawisla and finish off our maps . . . should be good for a day trip . . . if we can tear you away from the Poo-laris.

And incidentally, Josh says your snowmobile is ready to be picked up any time you want to swing by and grab it. ;):D

Thorndike Trails (not Troy trails) close during Deer Hunting Season (whenever that starts . . . and I'm talking firearms, not bow hunters) with the exception of Sundays. And I believe all of my caches (with the exception of one) are on the Troy Trail System so you can access them by ATV, foot or car.

Team2hunt
10-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Shooting within 100 yards of dwelling. It is unlawful to discharge a firearm or crossbow within 100 yards of a residential dwelling or a farm building used for sheltering livestock, machines, or harvested crops without permission from the owner, or in the owners absence, an adult occupant who dwells in that location.

Team2hunt
10-21-2008, 10:04 AM
4. Wildlife Sanctuaries and certain Wildlife Management Areas. Unless otherwise specifically provided, it is unlawful to hunt or trap any wild animal or wild bird within the limits of any wildlife sanctuary, any area properly posted by the State of Maine, or within the following described territories:

-Back Bay Sanctuary, Portland
-Baxter State Park closed to all hunting except: The area north of Trout Brook in T6R9; in T6R10 or T2R9 and T2R10 where hunting is allowed.
-Beauchamp Sanctuary (See page 16 for information on bow and arrow hunting)
-Carver’s Pond Waterfowl Sanctuary
-Colby College Area, Waterville
-Drake’s Island Game Sanctuary
-Dry Pond Sanctuary (Crystal Lake)
-Fairfield Sanctuary*
-Glencove Sanctuary
-Gray Game Sanctuary
-Hog Island Game Sanctuary
-Jefferson & Whitefield Sanctuary
-Kineo Point Sanctuary
-Limington, Hollis, Waterboro Sanctuary
-Lowell E. Barnes Area, Oxford County
-Marsh Island Area,* Old Town,
-Orono— Penobscot County
-Megunticook Lake and Vicinity Sanctuary
-Merrymeeting Bay Game Sanctuary
-Monroe Island Game Sanctuary
-Moosehead Lake Game Sanctuary
-Moosehorn Game Sanctuary
-Narragansett Game Sanctuary*
-Oak Grove Area, Vassalboro
-Ocean Park Game & Bird Sanctuary
-Orrington Game Sanctuary
-Pittston Farm Sanctuary
-Prout’s Neck; Richmond’s Island;
-Cape Elizabeth Sanctuary* (see page 16).
-Rangeley Game Sanctuary
-Rangeley Lake Sanctuary
-Rangeley Plantation Sanctuary
-Readfield and Winthrop Sanctuary
-Salmon Pond Sanctuary
-Sebago Lake Basin Area, Standish, Windham
-Somerset Game Sanctuary
-Standish Sanctuary
-Stanwood Wildlife Sanctuary, Ellsworth
-Steve Powell WMA (Swan Island), Richmond
-Thorncrag - Stanton Bird Sanctuary
-Tomhegan Game Sanctuary
-Wells Sanctuary
-Wells & York Game Sanctuary
-Willow Water Game Sanctuary
-Woodbury Sanctuary, Litchfield, Monmouth
-York Game Sanctuary, Franklin County

*Trapping allowed in accordance with the general laws of the State.

General hunting, except where specifically prohibited, is allowed from October 1 – April 30. Hunting and trapping shall take place in conformity with the laws of the State of Maine, rules of the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, and local ordinances. Trapping on State park or historic site land in organized townships requires the written permission of the Bureau. There will be no hunting allowed on State park lands or restricted zone of the Allagash Wilderness Waterway, between May 1 and September 30.
Hunting is not allowed in any Memorial or Historic Site.
Hunting is not allowed at Andrews Beach; that portion of Bradbury Mountain State Park west of State Route 9; Cobscook Bay; Crescent Beach and Kettle Cove; Damariscotta Lake; Ferry Beach; Holbook Island Sanctuary; Nickerson Lake; Owls Head Light; that portion of Quoddy Head within 1,000 feet of the lighthouse; Reid, Sebago Lake, Shackford Head, Two Lights, and Wolfe’s Neck Woods State Parks.
Work areas and areas with significant public use may be posted and closed to hunting from time to time in the interest of public safety.
The discharging of any weapons from or within 300 feet of any designated trail, picnic area, camping area, campsite, parking area, building, boat launching site or other developed area or bridge is prohibited. Loaded weapons are not allowed on the treadway of any trail posted “Closed to hunting”.
The baiting of any animal for the purpose of hunting is not allowed.For more information, please call
(207) 287-3821, TTY (207) 287-2213

or write to the

Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands
22 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333-0022.

This information copied from The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife

Team2hunt
10-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Haffy has a cache French's Mountain, on Belgrade Reg. Conservation Lands, and I contacted them this week to find out about hunting in the area. They follow this rule.

The discharging of any weapons from or within 300 feet of any designated trail, picnic area, camping area, campsite, parking area, building, boat launching site or other developed area or bridge is prohibited. Loaded weapons are not allowed on the treadway of any trail posted “Closed to hunting”.
So I have edited the attributes to include hunting in the area. I was asked to use common sense when in the area during hunting season and wear something like a hat that was blaze orange, and keep any pets on a leash.

d’76
10-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Loaded weapons are not allowed on the treadway of any trail posted “Closed to hunting”..

Does this include concealed carry?

Team2hunt
10-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Does this include concealed carry?

This section I copied was complete and it only mentioned " loaded fire arms " as a general statement. I would assume it means ALL fire arms.

Here is the link to the laws: http://www.maine.gov/ifw/laws_rules/hunting_trapping/index.htm

in the pdf file it is on page 33.

I have contacted the State Of Maine Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. And their answer is, that a concealed weapons permit is still a firearm and cannot be discharged, in the listed areas, or carried loaded. I still have to contact the Southern Regional office to verify this. I'll let you know.

firefighterjake
10-21-2008, 11:25 AM
My mind is a loaded weapon . . . unfortunately I have the wrong sized ammo.;):D

vicbiker
10-21-2008, 04:38 PM
My mind is a loaded weapon . . . unfortunately I have the wrong sized ammo.;):D Best one liner of the day award....goes to FFJ

Team2hunt
10-21-2008, 09:18 PM
I was unable today to get an answer to Dave1976's question on whether or not a concealed weapon could be carried on the treadway of any trail that was posted " closed to hunting" . I have to get in touch with the game warden service and the phones in Gray were not working today.

WhereRWe?
10-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Best one liner of the day award....goes to FFJ

LOL! I agree. FFJ, was that truly an original or did you borrow it? :p:p

firefighterjake
10-22-2008, 09:16 AM
LOL! I agree. FFJ, was that truly an original or did you borrow it? :p:p

Oh, I'm all original . . . one of a kind . . . which is good since the world really could not handle another Firefighterjake. ;):D

That said, while I think it's original, it is entirely possible that I may have stumbled across that at some point in the past and just filed it away . . . sounds too good for me to come up with that one on my own . . . but you never know I do have moments of great insight and wisdom . . . however I think the last moment of great insight and wisdom though occurred back in July 1982. ;):D

fins2right
10-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Oh, I'm all original . . . one of a kind . . . which is good since the world really could not handle another Firefighterjake. ;):D

That said, while I think it's original, it is entirely possible that I may have stumbled across that at some point in the past and just filed it away . . . sounds too good for me to come up with that one on my own . . . but you never know I do have moments of great insight and wisdom . . . however I think the last moment of great insight and wisdom though occurred back in July 1982. ;):D

And how was that wisdom enhanced????:D:D:rolleyes:

firefighterjake
10-23-2008, 07:28 AM
And how was that wisdom enhanced????:D:D:rolleyes:

Bionics . . . ;):D

"Firefighterjake, geocacher. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic Jake. Firefighterjake will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, fatter." ;):D

I am the world's first "$60 Bionic Man." ;):D

Hiram357
10-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Bionics . . . ;):D

"Firefighterjake, geocacher. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic Jake. Firefighterjake will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, fatter." ;):D

I am the world's first "$60 Bionic Man." ;):D

yes... he said it right $60, that would be made from old car parts from the heap out back, some typar, a bit of duct tape, leftovers from dysart's and a fresh coat of primer! :D:D:D

Mainiac1957
10-23-2008, 06:38 PM
yes... he said it right $60, that would be made from old car parts from the heap out back, some typar, a bit of duct tape, leftovers from dysart's and a fresh coat of primer! :D:D:D

A bi-weekly infusion of UHOP product.

MaineMen
06-27-2017, 09:54 PM
Aside from wraps and decals, make sure to have the essential truck accessories (http://4wheelonline.com/) needed for hunting. I also found these nice videos that may give you an improved hunting experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5wdaozJLng