View Full Version : Winter Caching

fins2right
10-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Well the time is almost upon us. Listing the things that I worry about during winter (fuel prices, when in the heck is my pellet stove going to arrive, will my snowblower work, ect) I hate the thought of giving up my addiction for 4 months. OK, I admit it, I'm terrible at winter caching. I tried it a few times last year (with the near record snowfall) and gave it up as a bad job. I'm thinking of maybe trying GRC's, but I think that they will be buried by snowbanks. Any good ideas?

Mapachi
10-16-2008, 09:24 PM
FLORIDA:cool::cool::cool:

Team2hunt
10-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Well the time is almost upon us. Listing the things that I worry about during winter (fuel prices, when in the heck is my pellet stove going to arrive, will my snowblower work, ect) I hate the thought of giving up my addiction for 4 months. OK, I admit it, I'm terrible at winter caching. I tried it a few times last year (with the near record snowfall) and gave it up as a bad job. I'm thinking of maybe trying GRC's, but I think that they will be buried by snowbanks. Any good ideas?

what you wish for. I have a cache in the Rockland area that right now is a park n grab, but last winter was literally under 25' of plowed snow. Just look for the "winter friendly" icon. You can pull a PQ of caches that display that icon. I have one for Maine and one for Vermont.

Plus it's a lot easier to use snowshoes during the winter....:p

firefighterjake
10-17-2008, 07:22 AM

In the winter I swap one addiction for another (geocaching for snowmobiling) . . . which works out well for me. When there isn't enough snow to go sledding I geocache on my free time . . . and when there is enough snow to go sledding I go sledding vs. digging through snowbanks (I do enough digging when I get the sled stuck.):D

dí76
10-17-2008, 07:38 AM
snowbanks (I do enough digging when I get the sled stuck.):D

I got a winch I can sell you real cheap if you are interested to pull the sled out.

firefighterjake
10-17-2008, 08:34 AM
I got a winch I can sell you real cheap if you are interested to pull the sled out.

True story . . . my brother actually has a winch mounted to his very, very heavy Yamahahahaha four-stroke snowmobile. Of course when he gets that sled stuck it's really, really hard to get it unstuck.

hide_from_the_kids
10-17-2008, 11:06 AM
THERE IS A WINTER CACHING ARTICLE BY MAPACHI HERES THE LINK http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?p=39133#post39133 SOME GOOD INFO THERE.:)

hide_from_the_kids
10-17-2008, 11:09 AM
FLORIDA:cool::cool::cool:
THATS SOUTH OF POTLAND, MASS. RIGHT?

hide_from_the_kids
10-17-2008, 11:11 AM
In the winter I swap one addiction for another (geocaching for snowmobiling) . . . which works out well for me. When there isn't enough snow to go sledding I geocache on my free time . . . and when there is enough snow to go sledding I go sledding vs. digging through snowbanks (I do enough digging when I get the sled stuck.):D
SOME WOULD CONTINUE THERE ADDICTION BY GOING TO MORE EVENTS:D:D:D

firefighterjake
10-17-2008, 12:21 PM
SOME WOULD CONTINUE THERE ADDICTION BY GOING TO MORE EVENTS:D:D:D

I went to one this year . . . just no one else decided to come along . . . well almost no one else. :D

Medawisla
10-17-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm thinking of maybe trying GRC's, but I think that they will be buried by snowbanks. Any good ideas?

Caching in the winter can be fun-filled! Snowshoes help! There are caches that are winter accessable. Think of all the caches you did this past year that were more than 3 feet of the the ground, like in a tree. Getting to the location can sometimes be tricky, and that's why snowshoes would help. There are many of us who enjoy winter caching in groups, and camping, so keep your eyes peeled for posts about those...don't give up!

This is such a great topic idea, I'm going to save this link and the link to the article for the December newsletter, so keep adding ideas and thoughts! :D

hollora
10-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Thinking about placing new caches ~ perhaps making the placement winter accessible would be very cool. Ah now, how to make a snowman that won't melt and figure out how to place a log in a button nose.....................

WhereRWe?
10-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Thinking about placing new caches ~ perhaps making the placement winter accessible would be very cool. Ah now, how to make a snowman that won't melt and figure out how to place a log in a button nose.....................

Button nose??? Sheesh, haven't you ever heard of a "nano cache"? LOL!

Team2hunt
10-17-2008, 06:15 PM
any ideas for where we will cache after the WWWWWWWWWWWWW5 Event?

Mapachi
10-17-2008, 08:40 PM
All but one of my new 007 series caches are winter friendly. I had winter in mind when I placed them. That's easier to do in October, when its cold, then in July, when the bugs are biting!!

kayaking loon
10-19-2008, 02:55 PM
I put out my last cache of the season today. :( It's not published yet but it will be Maine Huts & Trails # 5. I marked it winter friendly but that will depend on whether we have 10 inches of snow or 10 feet. It doesn't need to be my last cache, but I've got to save some ideas and places for next year! And there's still lots of good caching time left between now and the first snowfall.... isn't there?????? :eek:

PS Mapachi, will you take us all to Florida???

Medawisla
10-19-2008, 07:03 PM
any ideas for where we will cache after the WWWWWWWWWWWWW5 Event?

Discuss it here (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?p=47335#post47335) :D can't wait!

Ekidokai
10-26-2008, 10:44 AM
First making a snowman that wont melt is easy. I've made a few.

Second what is WWWWWWWWWWWWWW?

WhereRWe?
10-26-2008, 02:43 PM
First making a snowman that wont melt is easy. I've made a few.

Second what is WWWWWWWWWWWWWW?

For the past 4 years, RULost2? and I have hosted a winter geocaching event in Winslow - near Waterville. We call it the Winslow Winter Weekend Waypoint Warrior Wingding - WWWWWW.

Look for WWWWWW5 in late February. :D:D

tat
10-26-2008, 05:18 PM
It's traditional to add as many WWWWWWWWWWWWWWs as you like! :)

Mainiac1957
10-26-2008, 06:43 PM
I have enjoyed going to the WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW for all 4 years that it has been held.:rolleyes:

Ekidokai
10-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Holy W's Batman!

Medawisla
10-27-2008, 05:03 PM
There are also other great winter caching events!
Last year a couple of cachers put on the Snowshoe Event in Freeport area and several people actually camped over in the park, in the snow!
An indoor event that is a lot of fun is KachingKaren's annual event called Celebrate (fill in the year) events. She plans all kinds of activities whether you're a kid who wants to run around a gymnasium or a techie who wants to pop open the laptop with others, or like me, someone who really goes for the potluck food! :D:p

Keep posting :D

Kaching Karen
10-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Okay, I need to book the gym and cafeteria....

Super Bowl Weekend is February 1st. :D

The weekend before is a week off for teams to prepare. Am I correct? :confused:

That's when I host the "Celebrate 2008." Now what can the catch-phrase be for this year?

;) Celebrate 2006 - I'm Sitting

:D Celebrate 2007 - It Might be About the Numbers

:rolleyes: Celebrate 2008 - ?????

tat
10-27-2008, 05:39 PM
We're gonna make a fan out of you yet!! :)

Go Pats!!!

Haffy
10-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Let's all be friends?

Haffy
10-27-2008, 05:40 PM
You beat me to it Tat....;)

Kaching Karen
10-27-2008, 06:37 PM
I tried watching the game yesterday.... no, that wasn't the Pats. It was some group in red and some other group in yellow and black. Anyways, I like the tight pants.
See.... I know something!

Haffy
10-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Ok,back to my suggestion. Celebrate 2008 " Let's all be friends"

Medawisla
10-27-2008, 07:15 PM
:rolleyes: Celebrate 2008 - ?????

Celebrate 2008 - Pathtag! You're It!
:D

dí76
10-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Celebrate 2008 Cache and Carry:D

vicbiker
10-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Celebrate 2008 - Pathtag! You're It!
:DClever. Very clever.

Medawisla
12-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Winter activities have begun!
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2655
Winter camping and caching this past weekend.
How has your winter caching been going?

Remember there'll be events this winter too:
M.G.A. CHRISTMAS PARTY (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=10708b7f-f46c-42ed-b1e3-5fa5c26bebe9)(Event Cache)(GC1J2BG)
Date: 12/12/2008 by Maine Geocaching Association
Be an Elf for a Day Geo Greet V.2 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cb2f854c-ca41-4a90-b1d8-4ef639a58ddf)(Event Cache)(GC1HN4P)
Date: 12/20/2008 by Santa Claus
Celebrate 2008 - "No Cache too Small!" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5f2f447e-ba36-48dc-9c21-048a0f811b05)(Event Cache)(GC1J9Q8)
Date: 1/25/2009 by Kaching Karen

hollora
12-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey guys - looks like you had a good time this weekend - and the weather cooperated with the white stuff! Clear roads from here yesterday AM to Boston and nearly all the way home. Not that the dog is home, I am ok with the white stuff.

Caching will be what it is. I tried to make Cool Tools winter friendly when I fixed it. Two folks have found it now - so it should be one for folks to do.

Cache On - Cache Happy!

Kaching Karen
12-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Yep, our winter camping has begun. It was a blast. Tat and I got there late on Friday night and I crawled into my sleeping bag at midnight. I didn't do my usual routine of the little things that keep me warm and had cold tootsies all night. Otherwise, the next night and the whole weekend was a blast. Thanks to Number seven (who let me drive his Jeep), Vicbiker (great tour guide on-a-crutch), Medawisla, Hiram, Mainiac1957 and tat (thanks for going to the basketball game with me: therefore, late arrival on Friday night), who are always keen on our little adventures. Where to next?

Trick or Treat
12-07-2008, 11:45 PM
I was glad to see this thread at the top of my New Posts lists because winter caching is something I've been wondering about. A lot of caches I've done said that they were winter friendly, but many of them also required bushwacking. I suppose that might be easier in the winter when you're not fighting your way through brush, but what I want to know is if there are levels of winter friendliness. What's the criteria? Is a cache considered winter friendly if it's more than 3' off the ground? Or is there more to it? Do COs usually archive their caches temporarily in the winter?

I've held off on doing some caches that say they are on snowshoe trails so I can do them later and there are always the GRCs to rely on, but how do I go about finding real winter caches?

fins2right
12-08-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm glad to hear that all of the 'crazy':rolleyes: winter campers arrived with all of thier fingers and toes intact from the weekend. Winter camping is an activity I have not tried since boy scouts. I'm a little intrigued by the idea, but I think that it would be a bad job with the little ones. The weather was nice, however. I have first hand knowledge as I was standing outside at midnight, running an OUI roadblock. Unfortunately, people drink and drive during the winter as well. I have to admit, the idea of winter roadblocks sounded much nicer in September......:(. Mainiac said he grabbed 22 on facebook. Boy that gives me the itch. It's early winter caching next weekend as we go looking for a Christmas tree. I think now might be the perfect time as the snow is not deep and the leaves are all gone. We will be looking back on this weather with sighs in another month, so I have to finish my fix now. Anyone know of any active TB hotels? I have a few I'd like to drop off.

Medawisla
12-08-2008, 07:12 PM
I want to know is if there are levels of winter friendliness. What's the criteria? Is a cache considered winter friendly if it's more than 3' off the ground? Or is there more to it? Do COs usually archive their caches temporarily in the winter?

I've held off on doing some caches that say they are on snowshoe trails so I can do them later and there are always the GRCs to rely on, but how do I go about finding real winter caches?

What great questions. There isn't a ranking of winter caches, maybe because so few cachers really cache in the winter, but it would be cool. You can search the attributes, but as you found it's very subjective. Some think guard rails are winter friendly, but as far as I've seen, those are the first areas to become inaccessible in the winter due to plowing piles. It's fun to save trails for snowshoeing; keep your eyes open for the post- WWWWWWW Event snowshoeing adventure. Some of the best winter caches have detailed descriptions that state how they are winter friendly, above ground so many feet, and are protected from being frozen in place, etc etc. Others you have to use creative thought to see they're great winter caches like those on islands in our lakes; if they're above snow level, they could be a really fun snowshoe or snowmobile ride across the lake to the island to find.

Anyone know of any active TB hotels? I have a few I'd like to drop off. No, but I have a TB that sadly did not get dropped this past weekend.:eek:

Hiram357
12-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Yeah, it was definitely a great time. And Vic once again amazed us all, but doing Deathwish 2 on crutches, and still beating us all to the top... (I really wish I could be in your physical condition when I get to be that age! Heck, I wish I was in that kind of physical condition now!) :D Tom and I definitely stayed warm in the evening by attemping to chop Vics prank wood. ;) the downside was my sleeping bag zipper broke the first night and was constantly waking up freezing my buns off, should've called it quits then, but stayed the second night and I think I did some damage.. :( The caches in that area were an extreme treat, you guys sure put a lot of effort into those and make it worth the trip! The jeepin around was very cool (although I did have some sad flashback moments... :() It was an all around awesome trip and can't wait for the next one! (after I do some gear upgrades...) :D

Mainiac1957
12-08-2008, 08:32 PM
As has been said many times before. Preparation and gear selection is the number one factor for winter camping and caching. I do have my secret weapon for staying warm camping. Two small, but very warm dogs. They kept me so toasty Friday night at 8 degrees. This past weekend was a really good time. Thanks Vic for the petrified wood. The comedy team of Tom and Aaron was sooooo entertaining while chopping them. Got to take the new jeep through a few muddy spots.

tat
12-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Best thing about wood heat is it heats you up 6 times: when you cut it, lug it, stack it, split it, lug it and then when you burn it! Ok, 5 times anyway! :)

Mapachi
12-08-2008, 09:10 PM
I was glad to see this thread at the top of my New Posts lists because winter caching is something I've been wondering about. A lot of caches I've done said that they were winter friendly, but many of them also required bushwacking. I suppose that might be easier in the winter when you're not fighting your way through brush, but what I want to know is if there are levels of winter friendliness. What's the criteria? Is a cache considered winter friendly if it's more than 3' off the ground? Or is there more to it? Do COs usually archive their caches temporarily in the winter?

Winter is a good time to grab those "Lake and Pond" caches. Some caches are on islands.......if you don't have a boat, wait till winter and walk to them. I got my first 150 caches in the snow, last year! A lot of poking and digging, for sure. NO BUGS!! NO MUD!!

fins2right
12-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Winter is a good time to grab those "Lake and Pond" caches. Some caches are on islands.......if you don't have a boat, wait till winter and walk to them. I got my first 150 caches in the snow, last year! A lot of poking and digging, for sure. NO BUGS!! NO MUD!!
What a great plan!!! :D There is at least one cache on an island in McGrath pond here in town. With the exception of the Messalonskee Trail series (I'm waiting for my wifes ankle to mend enough that we can do the whole thing together), I've grabbed every landbound cache in Oakland and was wondering how to get to that. I am now excited for ice.:) Really, only a little excited. They are still caching in 70 degree weather in Florida:mad:

dí76
12-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Best thing about wood heat is it heats you up 6 times: when you cut it, lug it, stack it, split it, lug it and then when you burn it! Ok, 5 times anyway! :)

dont forget moving the ashes

attroll
12-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Vic is there still plans to another April 2009 winter overnight event in Abbot?

vicbiker
12-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Vic is there still plans to another April 2009 winter overnight event in Abbot? Rick we have already been making plans for another winter camping event. The plan this year is to have the event closer to the road, where there is better parking. I'll be updating as time goes on, but this should be the best one yet. See ya there.

tat
12-09-2008, 08:07 AM
dont forget moving the ashes

We did forget the ashes. :( Missed a great chance to warm up!

number seven
12-09-2008, 08:36 AM
"ORANGE" Kashing Karen said. Orange ?? Ya-thats what you will get if you hit Brad's yellow Jeep with this red one. Cute-And yes it was a ball. My thanks to all of you hardy souls .It was fun.

hide_from_the_kids
12-09-2008, 09:15 AM
You Guys Should Have Made It An Event. Sounds Like You Had A Lot Of Fun. With Out The Cold You Might See Me Do Something Like That. Where My Jeep Is Black Would That Make It Dark Orange?

Kaching Karen
12-09-2008, 03:53 PM
You Guys Should Have Made It An Event. Sounds Like You Had A Lot Of Fun. With Out The Cold You Might See Me Do Something Like That. Where My Jeep Is Black Would That Make It Dark Orange?

Only if you let "Krashing Karen" drive her orange Jeep into it.